• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the free VR update for RE4 Remake is PSVR2’s holiday plan?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
We still waiting for Half Life Alyx port, Astro Bot, hybrid AAA VR games for this holiday?

darthvargi

Honestly Sony has done an abysmal job at marketing the games on PSVR 2. Vertigo 2 is an excellent game that releases next month, and not a single mention today. If you want to show an example of a game with a larger market appeal, why not show off NFL Pro Era 2? Ghostbusters and RE4 are well known IPs but they could do a lot more to promote it.

Reallink

We still waiting for Half Life Alyx port, Astro Bot, hybrid AAA VR games for this holiday?

There ain't not Alyx bro, Valve has got their own imminent Quest competitor headset to sell. Sony explicitly pays money to keep third party games (notably Resident Evil) off of Valve's platform. Why in the flying fuck would they put Alyx on an openly hostile platform like PSVR? Like Valve needs a couple hundred thousand unit sales? Gabe spends more on knives in a week.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
There ain't not Alyx bro, Valve has got their own imminent Quest competitor headset to sell. Sony explicitly pays money to keep third party games (notably Resident Evil) off of Valve's platform. Why in the flying fuck would they put Alyx on an openly hostile platform like PSVR? Like Valve needs a couple hundred thousand unit sales? Gabe spends more on knives in a week.

Where does it say that Sony pays devs/publishers to stay off of steam and how would it benifit Sony? Sony has a miniscule stake in Epic, so that wouldn't make much sense..

It would be more reasonable that the devs themselves have agreements with pc store fronts. They pay only 12(?) percent on epic as opposed to 30% on steam. Especially with Square and 7 remake, with them using the Unreal engine they can get up to 100 of the revenue for themselves.

But piracy and lack of dev resources could be sound motivators..

Last edited:

Romulus

Valve has a new headset coming out. Steam Deck will run Alyx at 60fps on low settings. Do the math with optimization and a faster chipset.

It's not coming to PSVR2.

Sleepwalker

The PSVR2 has upcoming games. Sony has barely announced stuff for the actual PS5, dont hold your breath for first party vr games lol

But theyll have to come at some point.

Justin9mm

A lot of GAFers don't actually understand how the industry works lol

Reallink

Where does it say that Sony pays devs/publishers to stay off of steam and how would it benifit Sony? Sony has a miniscule stake in Epic, so that wouldn't make much sense..

It would be more reasonable that the devs themselves have agreements with pc store fronts. They pay only 12(?) percent on epic as opposed to 30% on steam. Especially with Square and 7 remake, with them using the Unreal engine they can get up to 100 of the revenue for themselves.

But piracy and lack of dev resources could be sound motivators..

I'm talking about VR. Sony paid 5 million for RE7 VR exclusivity for 1 years (we know this from the Capcom hack, and the fact that 12 months was *asterisk fine printed in official marketing materials from both Capcom and Sony). It seems pretty clear they reupped the contract with more money before it expired knowing it was most AAA game the platform would ever see, and was easily it's biggest "system seller". It's no coincidence Village and RE4 are also PSVR exclusive. Sony of course also hasn't ported any of their own PSVR games to PC.

Now who’s telling you to wait and/or expect that?!

At this point I honestly don't even think there's an Astrobot. If there were I think they'd have at least teased it to drum up some PSVR2 interest, especially going into a Holiday season. Instead, I expect Asobo's been working on a big budget non-VR Astrobot 3D platformer to act as Sony's Mario competitor.

Last edited:

Markio128

I kind of understand why Sony only showed Ghostbusters and RE4 VR - because they are well known IPs.

It is a shame we didn’t get a Vertigo 2 showing though. It could potentially be the best PSVR2 game, for us VR enthusiasts.

I was hoping for something else from the show. Re4 is nice but cmon where are those other hybrid games? That was a good plan!!!!
Who could've predicted such tragedy.

ocr

As much as I’m looking forward to it, Sony have got to pull their fucking finger out and show off some good first party VR stuff.

Aside from Helldivers and Spider-Man, that state of play was trash.

Waited to buy the remake for the vr update. Luckily should be on sale for black friday, I'm assuming
Same. I'm also hoping that Dead Space remake is cheap around black friday. Skipped it to do callisto protocol first for cheap.

Anyone thinking RE4 VR update is all that's going on in the PSVR2 world is being willfully ignorant.
They've been adding games like crazy to the platform.

Crayon

Same. I'm also hoping that Dead Space remake is cheap around black friday. Skipped it to do callisto protocol first for cheap.

Anyone thinking RE4 VR update is all that's going on in the PSVR2 world is being willfully ignorant.
They've been adding games like crazy to the platform.

The games have been good but I wanted to see the next 're8'... and it turns out to be re4. That is great, I'll take re4 but I was expecting to see VR mode for something of theirs.

The games have been good but I wanted to see the next 're8'... and it turns out to be re4. That is great, I'll take re4 but I was expecting to see VR mode for something of theirs.
I wasn't even expecting first party at this state of play at all. It said 3rd parties and indies.
Now if they do their Playstation Experience in December and completely snub PSVR2, then I'll have an issue.

Crayon

I wasn't even expecting first party at this state of play at all. It said 3rd parties and indies.
Now if they do their Playstation Experience in December and completely snub PSVR2, then I'll have an issue.

I didn't know there was another one in December. Hmmm maybe then. All I was is a lakitu mode here and there.

I didn't know there was another one in December. Hmmm maybe then. All I was is a lakitu mode here and there.
Well, i said if. haha. We don't know of any future shows. But their Playstation Experience was in Decembers when they were a thing.
They seem to not want to take focus away from whatever upcoming big game they have coming.
So I never had expectations about banger playstation announcements before Spider-man 2 releases.
I knew they wouldn't do that.

PanzerCute

Honestly Sony has done an abysmal job at marketing the games on PSVR 2. Vertigo 2 is an excellent game that releases next month, and not a single mention today. If you want to show an example of a game with a larger market appeal, why not show off NFL Pro Era 2? Ghostbusters and RE4 are well known IPs but they could do a lot more to promote it.
They dont give a damn about it. Pretty sure it was too late for Ryan to cancel its release, but he decided not to do anything to push it and probably canceled a few things.

It is a shame because its a very impressive hardware and the line up is already killer, but they dont care about showing it apparently.

Crayon

Well, i said if. haha. We don't know of any future shows. But their Playstation Experience was in Decembers when they were a thing.
They seem to not want to take focus away from whatever upcoming big game they have coming.
So I never had expectations about banger playstation announcements before Spider-man 2 releases.
I knew they wouldn't do that.

I actually don't mind them holding their cards close to their chest. I understand with Spider-Man being like three big games worth of sales and for them not having a lot of pressure to show off that they don't have to talk about much. VR is in a different place, though. I would rather them announce what they have coming a little further out. If they have it, that is.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Valve is doing a Quest competitor? That will run Steam VR stuff standalone? Color me intrigued...

FunkMiller

The game launches this year for PSVR2 have been - and I'm being kind about this - absolutely fucking wank.

It's been sat gathering dust on my shelf for months.

Minsc

Gold Member
The game launches this year for PSVR2 have been - and I'm being kind about this - absolutely fucking wank.

It was probably naive to believe that just because Sony said we can do Hybrid AAA current games on the device, that'd we'd actually get any. Oh well haha.

I guess 1-2 a year is about the most you can hope for even with Sony or some big company behind the hardware.

But if you branch out to the indie-level VR stuff there's still some amazing releases all the time, a good 5-10 per month, maybe not all appeal to everyone, but at least for VR experiences quite a few are worth checking out regardless as VR really mixes things up just by being VR.

Reallink

Valve is doing a Quest competitor? That will run Steam VR stuff standalone? Color me intrigued...

Yes leaks have been datamined for years at this point, codenamed Deckard. A release timeframe is unknown, but the Korean FCC recently slipped a Valve device with the same radio certifications as Quest 3. Expectation is they'll at least tease it just ahead of Quest 3's release (which is how they announced Index, just a couple weeks before Quest 1's launch). My personal suspicions (based on no real evidence) is that it's going to be expensive ($1000+), will be powered by a partially custom AMD SoC that will also appear in Steamdeck 2 (with performance roughly equivalent to PCVR's minimum spec, a desktop GTX1060), inside out tracking will be handled by a Qualcomm or Mediatek SoC, decent chance it'll use ~2500x2500 Micro OLED displays, and will be in even shorter supply than Steamdeck was due to component shortages and difficulty manufacturing (so 6mo to 1 year queue)

Last edited:

Crayon

Yes leaks have been datamined for years at this point, codenamed Deckard. A release timeframe is unknown, but the Korean FCC recently slipped a Valve device with the same radio certifications as Quest 3. Expectation is they'll at least tease it just ahead of Quest 3's release (which is how they announced Index, just a couple weeks before Quest 1's launch). My personal suspicions (based on no real evidence) is that it's going to be expensive ($1000+), will be powered by a partially custom AMD SoC that will also appear in Steamdeck 2 (with performance roughly equivalent to PCVR's minimum spec, a desktop GTX1060), inside out tracking will be handled by a Qualcomm or Mediatek SoC, decent chance it'll use ~2500x2500 Micro OLED displays, and will be in even shorter supply than Steamdeck was due to component shortages and difficulty manufacturing (so 6mo to 1 year queue)

All good info, but you forgot to mention that I would cut off my pinkie for it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Whether it comes out this year or not, PSVR2 owners have a lot to be excited for. So many titles releasing between now and the end of the year.

7th Guest remake
Vertigo 2
Hellslaver
Vampire: The Masquerade: Justice
Propagation: Paradise Hotel
Madison VR

Many more too.

fart town usa

Gold Member

Do you have another headset besides PSVR2? If that's the only headset you own you have access to minimum 20 amazing games and the thing has only been out for 7 months.

Top Bottom