• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice chat on Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

catbrush

did people give the excuse that voice chat through your phone frees up more resources for the switch yet? because the vita which came out 5 years ago could do os level party chat.
Yea, I did. I love my Vita but Vita's OS is laggy compared to Switch. It shouldn't be held up as some sort of gold standard.
Edit: eh maybe it's not so bad on Vita. Used VC on Vita all of one time.

iswasdoes

What? You didn't argue that! You said nintendo has to be more fearful of families than with mobile devices like samsung or iphone. You got debunked when it was posted that some absurd number of kids 4 or younger have a mobile device.

I literally dont understand what youre saying.

The reason Nintendo make you chat through an app is because they dont want their platform to be at risk of being smeared by a child abuse scandal

The reason that isnt an issue for phone companies is because their devices arent marketed to children (even though 97% of children under 4 have their own smartphone, according to that statistic)

What is so hard to understand?

DesertFox

Someone said it's a bit like the Xbox 360 was if you wanted to join in-game audio and voice chat, I see now what they meant:

sC_b00452v21k-cnnct03lg.jpg

Yeah but that was 12 years ago. This is my setup now:

And now they have even more streamlined versions that are wireless straight to the box, without a USB dongle.

The reason Nintendo make you chat through an app is because they dont want their platform to be at risk of being smeared by a child abuse scandal

The reason that isnt an issue for phone companies is because their devices arent marketed to children (even though 97% of children under 4 have their own smartphone, according to that statistic)

Parental controls exist

They could also have voice chat off by default

Also phones market towards children all the time wtf are you saying

Shiggy

It's not about a specific product, don't be silly. It ceased to be about a specific product the second the "WTF NINTENDO FFS YOUR VOICE CHAT SOLUTION SUCKS AMAGAAAAWWWDDD" yelling began. It is now 20 pages of ranting about Nintendo's mobile app voice chat solution. There is also a great deal of speculation, with many people seeming to have convinced themselves that this is exactly what it's going to be like, forever, and there is clearly no way that any other, alternative devices / solutions will ever be created.

True. Maybe there'll also be an achievement system in the future. Or sales for Nintendo-published titles. And let's not forget about third party support.

hqdefault.jpg

I think it was in this thread that it was stated, but at least we can appreciate that this is peak Nintendo we're seeing here. That, coupled with a lot of the reactions, is something worth witnessing time and time again.

Jumeira

Banned
For the past two years, I've chatted with my friend while gaming by calling him on Skype on my phone, and putting one earbud in my ear. And that's how I expect to do so going forward.

It's really not a hard solution.

So how do you game with new gamers you've met whilst playing ? Party chat? Because for 11 years we've just put a headset on. No extra devices or apps to muddle through.

EVH

It's like someone who doesn't drive saying they don't care if cars have seatbelts or power steering.

But this has been the defense force with Nintendo fans since forever for many topics:

- I don't like achievements so I'm glad there is none.
- I don't talk online so I don't care if this is a clusterfuck.
- Is not so hard to put a friend code!
- Do you remember the pedophiles?!
- Voice chat is full of kids screaming!
- LOL just use skype.
- Not everything must be western aproved! Japanese are a culture centric society!
- This platform 15-20 years ago did the same and nobody died!
- It's from Hori not Nintendo!
- I have other consoles for third party games!

The problem is not the splitter. The problem is the splitter needing to exist.

Because voice chat is not done form the console and there's no other way to get both, voice chat and game sound from a single scource.

Whatever Nintendo will propose won't be more elegant than this.
Yes there is. Game audio broadcast from the Switch to the phone via bluetooth, and the voice chat app mixing the audio sources together. And man Hori will be pissed when Nintendo announces that setup next week after Hori guessed that this would be needed.

televator

Okay so they require people to use their phones to chat in games while internet connections easily have allowed this in plenty of game machines and PCs for a very long time now...

giphy.gif

Why the phone? The Switch is connected to the goddamn internet, no? I guess this is for the switch in handheld mode when people are traveling and Nintendo didn't want to deal with data providers to integrate wireless data on the go on the switch... but not even eliminating the phone when in console mode? Wat.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

What's hard to understand is how the hell you came to this conclusion. You're the only one touting it, and I just don't buy that at all, because once again pedophiles can still use the app which will be switch branded! This is insane.

I remember all of those dastardly Xbox and Playstation child abuse scandals that forever tarnished their brand. If only they had more complicated voice chat solutions that also connected to a PHONE which young children have anyway. Oh well, shame.

pvpness

Why is this surprising to anybody? Lol. As soon as they announced voice chat through a phone app, any hope of having online team games with chat went right out the window imo. I was more surprised that they're gonna charge for this garbage. Who's gonna use it? TV sound through the mic is a deal breaker for me and I'll bet that's 90% of what we'll get on switch.

Honestly, people are getting WAAAY too worked up over this. Yes, it looks like utter shit. However it's a 3rd party peripheral. 3rd party peripherals being shit every now and then isn't a new thing. People keep saying "WTF Nintendo" as if this is an official Nintendo product, it isn't. Until we get official confirmation from Ninty about how all this is going to work I see absolutely no reason to get so angry.

Seriously people are reading waaaaay too much into this. We've gone from it being a Hori product to now apparently it all being Nintendo's fault. We've gone from it being promoted on Hori's twitter account to now, apparently, Nintendo promoting it - they aren't. Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill guys, I know we're on GAF but jeez, calm down for a minute. Why don't we wait until next week to see how Nintendo are going to do things? THEN we can get into a foaming rage if it turns out this is exactly how they envisaged it. Until that point we're just getting angry over a random 3rd party peripheral.

I mean this fucking abomination existed:
wutang.jpg

Yet that doesn't mean we should go and set fire to Sony's house for inventing the console which spawned it.

I...

Shiggy

Yes there is. Game audio broadcast from the Switch to the phone via bluetooth, and the voice chat app mixing the audio sources together. And man Hori will be pissed when Nintendo announces that setup next week after Hori guessed that this would be needed.

Where do you see that happening and why is HORI releasing this officially licensed and promoted adapter if it worked that way?

Darko

Someone at Hori is surely getting fired for preempting the E3 direct and tainting Switch's narrative.

No wires are necessary to play and use VC. All you need is your phone and a headset. Not an ideal solution for those who hate using speakers maybe, but I think it's better than putting VC on the OS level where it'll eat resources and battery.

Well there it is.

NeonBlack

Wanna watch Netflix? Use another device

Wanna use voice chat? Use another device

What's next?

Someone at Hori is surely getting fired for preempting the E3 direct and tainting Switch's narrative.

No wires are necessary to play and use VC. All you need is your phone and a headset. Not an ideal solution for those who hate using speakers maybe, but I think it's better than putting VC on the OS level where it'll eat resources and battery.

Like others have said, Vita had this with no problem. The freaking gamepad had it too. How resource heavy does everyone think voice chat is?

So what is it then?
Well judging from the last two consoles and a lot of what is going on with this one, the safest bet is that Nintendo is just completely out of touch with what is standard in online gaming.

It's not like Nintendo suddenly started making stupid decisions with their online. This is just another dumb decision in a pattern of dumb decisions.

Why is this surprising to anybody? Lol. As soon as they announced voice chat through a phone app, any hope of having online team games with chat went right out the window imo. I was more surprised that they're gonna charge for this garbage. Who's gonna use it? TV sound through the mic is a deal breaker for me and I'll bet that's 90% of what we'll get on switch.

The app itself likely isn't paid. It will just work with the paid online subscription.

I am going to resist the urge to pass judgement on this until we hear it officially from Nintendo. Hopefully it gets spelled out by them in the near future. We will probably see some clarification during interviews around E3.

Assuming this is the case: that all lobbies, partying up, voicechat, and other social stuff a la 'miiverse' are centered on a mobile application rather than the Switch itself... I can see the drawbacks of course, but I also see a couple positives. The idea of a miiverse-like social forum centered around Nintendo Switch games (i.e. joyous drawings and posts) on my mobile phone at all times sounds pretty amazing.

My biggest question is why? considering that Nintendo has put voicechat on prior consoles. The only answer I can come up with is that Nintendo 1) really wants to distance voicechat from the console because they hate strangers on the internet and 2) that pushing all of this side functionality to a mobile application frees up OS utilization on the Switch itself.

The real crime here is that with the Switch, Nintendo was given another opportunity to finally nail online play. They have been getting (slightly) closer with each console generation, and the Switch looked to be the savior. It's hitting everything right but this. Ultimately, if this is their solution, I will play games without voicechat, which isn't a huge loss considering I have never really done that with Nintendo games, so I am used to it. It's just disappointing to see them mess it up again.

oh my fucking god Im gonna lose my mind

The only reason OS level background voice chat isnt being used is pure incompetence

Plain and simple

Enough excuses. Its a bad choice and bad design

killroy87

So how do you game with new gamers you've met whilst playing ? Party chat? Because for 11 we've just put a headset on. No extra devices or apps to muddle through.

I don't, I have no desire to.

Out of curiosity, how did anyone think this solution would have been different? We've known for months voice chat would be handled through a phone app, so clearly the only way you'll get both is through a splitter.

Not saying that makes this any less cumbersome, but this is kind of the only possible outcome from the way they've set things up.

lt519

What? Are you someone who has never used a headset for voicechat gaming in your life?

Although this set up is atrocious, what I'll be doing is using my PS4 in ear bud that came with the system and listening the audio over my surround and the in-game chat just through the ear piece.

I much prefer that over both audio and chat through the same ear piece/headset. Although this contraption will prevent me from ever wanting to do voice chat in a portable mode in a public space, which is a shame. But I also probably shouldn't be coordinating Splatoon attacks on a plane..

Cartho

This is a terrible analogy. You still had the regular controller and sony didn't over complicate a simple solution.

In this case nintendo doesn't have a simple solution for voice chat like other consoles do. That's the core issue.

Can you show me any evidence at all which states that Nintendo don't have a simple chat app for in game communication using earbuds into the existing 3 line audio jack on the Switch / into your phone which will be unveiled at E3? Have you seen next week's presentation in advance? For all we know this is a weird Hori solution. The mobile app might just be fricking discord in disguise for all we know. You might be able to use the mobile app for only chat audio and have to use a wired splitter / regular speakers for game audio. We just don't know. They might have worked out some ridiculously clever way of routing game audio wirelessly through your phone to combine it with chat audio - we just. don't. know.

All I'm saying is, getting mega angry about it now is pointless. Let's at least wait until we get all the facts before we freak out. As I have stated several times, if it turns out this is indeed the only way chat will work and Nintendo confirms this next week then fine - it's ridiculous and I won't be using it. However there seems to be so little sense in freaking out about a 3rd party product when we have zero clue what Nintendo have planned for next week.

I don't, I have no desire to.

Out of curiosity, how did anyone think this solution would have been different? We've known for months voice chat would be handled through a phone app, so clearly the only way you'll get both is through a splitter.

Not saying that makes this any less cumbersome, but this is kind of the only possible outcome from the way they've set things up.
Cool, so your solution isn't a solution at all!

I mean it aleady wasn't since you were using separate audio devices for voice and game sound and using a third party app but thanks for confirming what we all knew I suppose.

I remember all of those dastardly Xbox and Playstation child abuse scandals that forever tarnished their brand. If only they had more complicated voice chat solutions that also connected to a PHONE which young children have anyway. Oh well, shame.

Yep it's weird anybody buys PlayStation anymore considering it's *literally* worse than the Catholic Church. Nintendo should run ads saying "PlayStation and Microsoft are #1 in child abuse scandals, don't let it happen to your child, buy a switch".

Where do you see that happening and why is HORI releasing this officially licensed and promoted adapter if it worked that way?
What do you mean "where do I see that happening"? Someone said it was not possible to mix game audio with voice chat audio on a phone any better way than the way Hori came up with, and I was pointing out that yes, there is clearly a better way to do it. And maybe Nintendo doing it that way, we'll know next week.

As for licensing, Hori obviously licensed the design of the headset from Nintendo after seeing that headset in Splatoon, that doesn't mean Nintendo's branding/legal licensing team would have told them the unreleased details on how voice chat was going to work.

killroy87

Cool, so your solution isn't a solution at all!

I mean it aleady wasn't since you were only using separate audio devices for voice and game sound and using a third party app but thanks for confirming what we all knew I suppose.

Lol, you really cracked the code.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yep it's weird anybody buys PlayStation anymore considering it's *literally* worse than the Catholic Church. Nintendo should run ads saying "PlayStation and Microsoft are #1 in child abuse scandals, don't let it happen to your child, buy a switch".

but nintendo has to worry about that more since it's a kids device!

jmizzal

I barely use voice chat on my xbox one with almost all online games, I doubt i'm gonna use it on Switch with even less online games, so no big deal to me, plus this is hori not Nintendo, who knows what Nintendo is gonna do

Can you show me any evidence at all which states that Nintendo don't have a simple chat app for in game communication using earbuds into the existing 3 line audio jack on the Switch / into your phone which will be unveiled at E3? Have you seen next week's presentation in advance? For all we know this is a weird Hori solution. The mobile app might just be fricking discord in disguise for all we know. You might be able to use the mobile app for only chat audio and have to use a wired splitter / regular speakers for game audio. We just don't know. They might have worked out some ridiculously clever way of routing game audio wirelessly through your phone to combine it with chat audio - we just. don't. know.

All I'm saying is, getting mega angry about it now is pointless. Let's at least wait until we get all the facts before we freak out. As I have stated several times, if it turns out this is indeed the only way chat will work and Nintendo confirms this next week then fine - it's ridiculous and I won't be using it. However there seems to be so little sense in freaking out about a 3rd party product when we have zero clue what Nintendo have planned for next week.

Dude seriously? We have had evidence for a long while form Reggies dumb mouth and Nintendos official website

The feedback should be loud and fierce until they show any EVIDENCE of change

pvpness

The app itself likely isn't paid. It will just work with the paid online subscription.

The point is that they want to charge for online play, which I think is ridiculous on any console, and then on top of that they've seemingly gone out of their way to exist outside of the standard in the industry. Not in a better or innovative way, but in a way that lowers the quality of the experience by default.

Copenap

Yea, I did. I love my Vita but Vita's OS is laggy compared to Switch. It shouldn't be held up as some sort of gold standard.
You shiuld check your Vita, it seems to be broken.

This is so damn stupid.

iswasdoes

What's hard to understand is how the hell you came to this conclusion. You're the only one touting it, and I just don't buy that at all, because once again pedophiles can still use the app which will be switch branded! This is insane.

Im not the only one who realises this, its just the prevalent opinion is 'nintendo are stupid', despite being a profitable game business for 30 something years.

Im suggesting they are trying to have the best of both worlds by allowing voice chat which gamers want, but providing it through an app thats on another piece of hardware so it distances them from anything scandalous that happens.

THE INSANITY

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Wii U eShop demographics

0-12 – 1%
13-17 – 5%
18-24 – 33%
25-34 – 46%
35+ – 14%
M/F – 93/7

but only kids play nintendo!

edit-

Im not the only one who realises this, its just the prevalent opinion is 'nintendo are stupid', despite being a profitable game business for 30 something years.

Im suggesting they are trying to have the best of both worlds by allowing voice chat which gamers want, but providing it through an app thats on another piece of hardware so it distances them from anything scandalous that happens.

THE INSANITY

check it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom