• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice chat on Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, you really cracked the code.
I just really, really do not understand the mindset of someone who doesn't use voice chat regularly and doesn't have a dedicated headset coming in to a thread about voice chat and writing off complaints as circular bitching and saying there's an easy solution... if you don't use voice chat and also don't mind not having convenience or clear audio in both ears.

iswasdoes

mobile devices have entire lines built for kids

ever heard of nabi?

nabi-display-image.png

not a smart phone, but still a mobile device.

Does it have voice chat on it? Thats not what the argument is at all

I literally dont understand what youre saying.

The reason Nintendo make you chat through an app is because they dont want their platform to be at risk of being smeared by a child abuse scandal

The reason that isnt an issue for phone companies is because their devices arent marketed to children (even though 97% of children under 4 have their own smartphone, according to that statistic)

What is so hard to understand?

Apple, Amazon, and every other company under the sun figured this out forever ago

Parental controls

Oh wait... Doesnt Nintendo have a parental control infrstructure now?

How the fuck are they still doing shit online practices when they have protections for children in place

Explain it to me please

Im not the only one who realises this, its just the prevalent opinion is 'nintendo are stupid', despite being a profitable game business for 30 something years.

Im suggesting they are trying to have the best of both worlds by allowing voice chat which gamers want, but providing it through an app thats on another piece of hardware so it distances them from anything scandalous that happens.

THE INSANITY
A company can be profitable while still making stupid decisions.

Where's the evidence of scandals from xbox, Playstation and steam btw.

Also parental controls are a thing. You're literally arguing against facts and figures and claiming we're the ones that are delusional.

The point is that they want to charge for online play, which I think is ridiculous on any console, and then on top of that they've seemingly gone out of their way to exist outside of the standard in the industry. Not in a better or innovative way, but in a way that lowers the quality of the experience by default.

I mean, I won't argue that this voice chat app is in any way a good idea (unless it's completely optional and the Switch itself can also handle chat as an option, but that doesn't seem to be the case) but Nintendo hasn't yet detailed the paid service at all.

We should at least give them a chance to explain what you get for your money before assuming it's going to automatically be a worse experience.

Not that I'm expecting them to give me much of a reason to subscribe, but I like to keep an open mind.

Shiggy

What do you mean "where do I see that happening"? Someone said it was not possible to mix game audio with voice chat audio on a phone any better way than the way Hori came up with, and I was pointing out that yes, there is clearly a better way to do it. And maybe Nintendo doing it that way, we'll know next week.

As for licensing, Hori obviously licensed the design of the headset from Nintendo after seeing that headset in Splatoon, that doesn't mean Nintendo's branding/legal licensing team would have told them the unreleased details on how voice chat was going to work.

You don't really seem to be aware of HORI products. They've worked closely with Nintendo for years, as you can also see here. With Nintendo promoting HORI products even on Twitter, that is also pretty obvious. Why would they do so if the entire messaging would counteract Nintendo's much more elegant solution?

If you still believe there'll be a different way of handling this, you'll be up for a bad surprise. Dreamwriter is writing dreams in here.

We should at least give them a chance to explain what you get for your money before assuming it's going to automatically be a worse experience.

They have detailed what their subscription service offers:
Online lobby and voice chat

A dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games – all from your smart device. Before its official launch in autumn 2017, a free, limited version of this smart device app will be available in summer 2017.

Monthly game download

Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System or Super Nintendo Entertainment System game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.

Exclusive promotions

Subscribers may receive special subscriber-only price promotions for certain products in Nintendo eShop.
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch/Online-service/Online-service-1183143.html

Im not the only one who realises this, its just the prevalent opinion is 'nintendo are stupid', despite being a profitable game business for 30 something years.

Im suggesting they are trying to have the best of both worlds by allowing voice chat which gamers want, but providing it through an app thats on another piece of hardware so it distances them from anything scandalous that happens.

THE INSANITY
You can be profitable and still make stupid decisions. Sony and Microsoft are still in business, and they've made a bunch of really dumb decisions over the years too.

Tripolygon

Banned
Yea, I did. I love my Vita but Vita's OS is laggy compared to Switch. It shouldn't be held up as some sort of gold standard.
I never intended to participate in this thread but you are full of shit. The Vita OS is the snappiest mobile OS i have ever used, and it is one of the first mobile OS with multitasking and it had 500MB of system RAM.

They arnt kids brands like nintendo are

What?

No this is laziness and incompetence and its tied to them outsourcing online to DeNA

They dont give a shit about making it better or they would be pressuring DeNA to deliver something up to industry STANDARDS

say it with me

STANDARDS

You don't really seem to be aware of HORI products. They've worked closely with Nintendo for years, as you can also see here. With Nintendo promoting HORI products even on Twitter, that is also pretty obvious. Why would they do so if the entire messaging would counteract Nintendo's much more elegant solution?
It's an officially licensed Splatoon-branded headset and adapter that looks like what a character in the game uses, of course the Splatoon twitter feed is going to mention it.

Cynar

Anyone defending Nintendo on this one is Trump-level special.
Pretty much. It's 2017 and they're still not understanding it. There is no defense or excuse for this that is acceptable. As mentioned before, I could do party chat with my Vita and it worked pretty damn good. There's no damn excuse that is acceptable from Nintendo on this.

Yea, I did. I love my Vita but Vita's OS is laggy compared to Switch. It shouldn't be held up as some sort of gold standard.
You are seriously spouting some bull here. It's always been pretty snappy for me.

This is so stupid. I don't think I'll ever really play my Switch online, but this is just one of those Nintendo-esque design patterns that you really wonder if there's anybody there being like "GUYS THIS IS CRAZY."

Someone said it's a bit like the Xbox 360 was if you wanted to join in-game audio and voice chat, I see now what they meant:

sC_b00452v21k-cnnct03lg.jpg

There are a sizable amount of people on this forum who weren't born when that was the easiest solution, which, btw, is still better than having to use your cell phone.

Since 2013...

QGV8PGZ.png

Since 2015...

rmEJfg7.png

iswasdoes

A company can be profitable while still making stupid decisions.

Where's the evidence of scandals from xbox, Playstation and steam btw.

Also parental controls are a thing. You're literally arguing against facts and figures and claiming we're the ones that are delusional.

Im not arguing against the fact that lots of kids have smartphones.

Im arguing that Nintendo who historically go to great lengths to protect children online (friend codes) are doing this for the same reason, and not because the switch isnt powerful enough, or they were trying to save money on the audio jack, or the other nonsense reasons that have been posted.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
And here's another chart of switch usage by household

switch-demographics.jpg

Seems that 50% number being for children posted earlier is a load of shit.

killroy87

I just really, really do not understand the mindset of someone who doesn't use voice chat regularly and doesn't have a dedicated headset coming in to a thread about voice chat and writing off complaints as circular bitching and saying there's an easy solution... if you don't use voice chat and also don't mind not having convenience or clear audio in both ears.

I use voice chat literally every time I game, I just use it with the same group of people, so we hop on skype or a discord. But I realize that's not the specific situation being discussed here.

Again though, I'd be curious to know what solution people were predicting knowing that voice would come from phone and game audio would come from the Switch. A splitter (or in this case, a reverse splitter), seems like the actual only way to do that. When we found out voice chat would be handled through a phone, you have two options;
1) You put in one earbud into the phone, and listen to the game through normal TV/Switch speakers
2) There's a splitter to route both audio streams into the same source.

Mael

I won't defend this stupid shit, I'm just here to say fuck voice chat.
Their online better provide the best VC games ever for free and outstanding service otherwise I'm not gonna bother with this shit.

Shiggy

It's an officially licensed Splatoon-branded headset and adapter, of course the Splatoon twitter feed is going to mention it.

Why would Nintendo promote and license it if its hardware was completely unnecessary?

This is HORI, not some random third party producer.

EVH

Im arguing that Nintendo who historically go to great lengths to protect children online (friend codes) are doing this for the same reason, and not because the switch isnt powerful enough, or they were trying to save money on the audio jack, or the other nonsense reasons that have been posted.

I'm afraid friend codes stopped being a "security" measure long ago, but just incompetence and lack of research, as the eurogamer article I posted in this same thread shows.

Galang

Banned
A kii. They honestly would have been better of not including voice chat at all. This is even worse than anyone expected

Copenap

But your arguing is wishful thinking when the only reason is that Nintendo is simply not capable on doing a proper os.

iswasdoes

More kids owned a One/360/PS4/PS3 than owned a Wii U. Yet some how they avoided the label of kid brand and there were no scandals for Sony or Microsoft.

Totally. Its because they are not Marketed as kids brands. The reality that lots of kids use them is less imprtant than if they are actively trying to sell themselves to kids.

Do you really believe that PlayStation is as equally kid focused as a brand as nintendo?

Because they are too stupid to look around and see that clever solutions have already been engineered across mulitple mobile industries for over a fucking decade now

They hired DeNA to handle this shit cuz they were like "Fuck it I give up" and now the consumer is paying the price because DeNA doesnt want to build an app for the switch

Im guessing they are isolated from it. There is likely Zero crossover between internal Nintendo system engineers and the DeNA online division devoted to running Nintendos Online service

j-wood

Oh really Nintendo? How about the fact that IPHONE 7'S DON'T HAVE A FUCKING HEADPHONE JACK.

I seriously have to use a piece of shit adapter for voice chat? Are you kidding me?

iswasdoes

But your arguing is wishful thinking when the only reason is that Nintendo is simply not capable on doing a proper os.

Honestly this is what I think is delusional. You think nintendo WANT to integrate voice chat into the OS but lack the programming capability?

bachikarn

Yeah, thats what theyre trying to do, but a huge chunk of their sales go to kids, and they know that. Its what theyve got over Sony and MS, their position in the 'family' market

Ill accept your argument if you can give me one fact - the percentage of apple sales that go to children and the percentage of nintendo sales that go to children

Thats the relevant fact

Do you have a statistic on the amount of Switch sales are composed of kids? My guess is that it is pretty low at the moment.

Edit: never mind. Just saw the graphic above that shows it's a small amount. Lol

Nintendo certainly cares about their reputation with parents. And maybe in the future the amount of sales to kids will increase. But there are better solutions than this monstrosity.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
How are they meant to buy anything without money..

Those numbers match up with the switch demographics as well

switch-demographics.jpg

it's not about who is paying, it's the average age of the user playing the game they purchased on the e-shop. Do you think parents don't buy kids digital games?

Yeah, thats what theyre trying to do, but a huge chunk of their sales go to kids, and they know that. Its what theyve got over Sony and MS, their position in the 'family' market

Ill accept your argument if you can give me one fact - the percentage of apple sales that go to children and the percentage of nintendo sales that go to children

Thats the relevant fact

As unusual as it is for you to make a bold claim and then ask someone else to do your homework for you, I'll bite.

Nintendo reveals demographic information all the time:

https://mynintendonews.com/2014/08/...sers-males-account-for-93-and-females-only-7/ (August 2014)

Wii U eShop demographics

0-12 – 1%
13-17 – 5%
18-24 – 33%
25-34 – 46%
35+ – 14%
M/F – 93/7

Switch launch demographics (from April 28th, 2017):

I'll see if I can find something similar for Apple or Samsung.

Edit: Beaten by everyone it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom