• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice chat on Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly struggling with why this is such a big deal.
YES the Switch should do voice chat and YES this is far from elegant but.....

- I'm playing Switch outside
- I have my phone as a hotspot in my pocket
- Voice Chat app is running and bluetooth headphone/mic is connected to phone
- Game audio comes out of Switch

- I'm playing Switch at home
- Again bluetooth headphone connected to phone for Voice Chat
- Game audio comes from TV

Now if I'm outside and don't want to have Switch audio outputting through the speakers, such as if I'm on public transport for example, then chances are I also wouldn't want to be voice chatting out loud anyway.

If I'm home and I need to be quiet so don't want Switch audio coming through my TV, then again chances are I couldn't be voice chatting out loud anyway.

So... I'm at a loss... OR A DIE-HARD NINTENDO DEFENDER FANBOY I guess...

What am I missing?

OMG fuck off with the "Fuck you got mine" posts

Great you are tolerant of work arounds

I demand better than LESS than the industry standard

Sorry we are overreacting so much

Yeah, it's nice not to have the option of possibly making new friends over shared gaming experiences.

Does this happen often? Asking honestly, as I am someone who doesn't play online games with voicechat + strangers often. I turn it off almost immediately in those scenarios tbh. Last time I saw a round of PUBG, people were calling each other 'n*gger* and 'f*ggot.'

The real loss in this news is not having a seamless option to chat with FRIENDS. I can't even fathom playing something as wondrous and cutesy as splatoon with strangers swearing at me. My god that would be awful.

iswasdoes

you're flat out wrong I'm sorry. Nintendo's bread and butter is the 25 and up since we grew up with it. Also your 50% number is incredibly off base.

Im happy to admit that 50% is a guess (I never posted it as fact and i dunno why people are saying I did?) but I stand by it wholeheartedly - im not just talking switch, im talking the whole brand: 3ds, 2ds, Pokemon. Its a kid focused brand with a predominately young audience, and obviously so. Which is why they ALWAYS make their online very safe and secure.

People here seem to be jelly.
I mean, this Splatoon-style adapter is so damn cute. I will buy it. Love my Switch.

And honestly, how boring is this setup:

Headset-pc-games.JPG

Brb opening a new thread called:
"My SO and me had so much fun with USF2. Is this the best game you ever got for 40$?"

Well this is transparent.

Now if I'm outside and don't want to have Switch audio outputting through the speakers, such as if I'm on public transport for example, then chances are I also wouldn't want to be voice chatting out loud anyway.

If I'm home and I need to be quiet so don't want Switch audio coming through my TV, then again chances are I couldn't be voice chatting out loud anyway.

What am I missing?

Other consoles support having both game and chat audio through one headset with a single cord. Those consoles also support plugging said cord directly into the console/controller as opposed to their phone. It's really not hard to see that point of view...

I get that it won't affect you personally and I can admit that it won't affect me either, but come on. It doesn't take that much effort to see the other side here.

Mael

The voice chat was supported by the team that made the game

It wasnt BUILT IN. The WiiU simply had compatible hardware. This is the distinction and why the DeNA partnership has produced this terrible result

Nintendo has never made the effort to build industry standard feature support INTO their systems. They simply include the hardware and offload responsibility on someone else. Be it their developers or third party.... and now in this case... Outsourcing it all

Yep, because they don't want to.
They started dabbling into online functionality for Pokemon fire Red/leaf Green (that wireless adapter) and included the functionality in the next handheld line (DS).
they've already said that they could do it like their competitors but they're unwilling to do so.
Heck they're able to whole OSes for their systems but they would be too incompetent to add a simple all encompassing app to handle voice chat and only the voice chat would be out of their reach?
Similarly they could have included voice chat into Splatoon but clearly decided against it.
It's really like the 2nd stick for 3DS, they can do it but they'll have to be forced to include it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Im happy to admit that 50% is a guess (I never posted it as fact and i dunno why people are saying I did?) but I stand by it wholeheartedly - im not just talking switch, im talking the whole brand: 3ds, 2ds, Pokemon. Its a kid focused brand with a predominately young audience, and obviously so. Which is why they ALWAYS make their online very safe and secure.

Their online almost never exists first off. 2nd I would once again bet my life it's not even remotely near 50%.

Yep, because they don't want to.
They started dabbling into online functionality for Pokemon fire Red/leaf Green (that wireless adapter) and included the functionality in the next handheld line (DS).
they've already said that they could do it like their competitors but they're unwilling to do so.
Heck they're able to whole OSes for their systems but they would be too incompetent to add a simple all encompassing app to handle voice chat and only the voice chat would be out of their reach?
Similarly they could have included voice chat into Splatoon but clearly decided against it.
It's really like the 2nd stick for 3DS, they can do it but they'll have to be forced to include it.

It so bizarre how confusing the messaging was

They gave the impression that they were finally looking at the mobile industry for inspiration on how to handle Account systems, online etc...

Then they did none of it and opted to just outsource it

Nintendo's clearly putting in hoops for kids to not be able to chat easily. They figure very young kids will not have a cell phone, hence the cell phone requirement being a basic barrier of entry. Nintendo's relying on parental controls on the cell phone app for the slightly older kids who do have a cell phone. That, and having kids talk to people on their cell phone makes it clear what is going on. They probably think some parents are not careful enough to realize that their kids are talking to strangers because they see the Switch and don't make the connection that voice chat is possible.

This is, of course, a terrible solution, and one that is willingly obtuse given the day and age that we live in. This kind of intentionally convoluted bullshit from Nintendo to "protect the kids" was at least passable given that their online service as a whole, however shitty, was still free. But doing this for a paid subscription? This is just a joke.

Nintendo's clearly putting in hoops for kids to not be able to chat easily. They figure very young kids will not have a cell phone, hence the cell phone requirement being a basic barrier of entry. Nintendo's relying on parental controls on the cell phone app for the slightly older kids who do have a cell phone. That, and having kids talk to people on their cell phone makes it clear what is going on. They probably think some parents are not careful enough to realize that their kids are talking to strangers because they see the Switch and don't make the connection that voice chat is possible.

This is, of course, a terrible solution, and one that is willingly obtuse given the day and age that we live in. This kind of intentionally convoluted bullshit from Nintendo to "protect the kids" was at least passable given that their online service as a whole, however shitty, was still free. But doing this for a paid subscription? This is just a joke.

The only hoop they needed was the parental control app they just efffing built

I dont understand...

Futureman

Does Splatoon use voice chat? Honestly I don't ever see myself talking to people in an online game. I guess sucks for people that are into it.

Hopefully Nintendo reveals all their online and VC plans at E3.

Fuchsdh

What am I missing?

That it's far more effort required than any of the other consoles? And it's far more effort than you should be spending on technology period in the Year of Our Lord 2017? (Requiring users to have another device, download something to that app, and deal with any technical issues on another platform to use yours?)

I dont understand...

Yeah... The whole "protect the kids" argument isn't really valid when that PC app lets you restrict voice chat. It's just a really dumb workaround for not wanting/being capable of system-level voice chat.

Justified

What am I missing?

I cant really enjoy the game audio out of the TV while having headphones on.

Either my headphones have excellent noise cancellation or you have supersonic hearing

HardRojo

I dont understand...
They could have simply done this (unless it'll be there, in which case I have no idea why we would need all this shit in the first place):

Nintendo Mobile App
  • Voice chat - Uncheck
Done.

People defending this, even back in January, are missing the point entirely.

I dont understand...

It's just a theory of mine, of course. That's the only thing I can think of that could possibly justify such an idiotically convoluted solution.

What am I missing?

You're missing this right here:

I play games almost exclusively with headphones. It's a necessity given the noise check, plus I just have a personal preference for playing with headphones.

There's a lotof people in my same camp, some who have an even bigger need to play only with headphones. Some can't play with TV audio due to living in apartment complexes with very thin walls. Some can only play late at night while their spouse and/or kids are asleep.

This is and always has been one of the more bizarre decisions I've seen out of a console manufacturer in a long time.

It's so convoluted and just unneeded. Like I don't even understand the thought process that went into this.

Mael

It so bizarre how confusing the messaging was

They gave the impression that they were finally looking at the mobile industry for inspiration on how to handle Account systems, online etc...

Then they did none of it and opted to just outsource it

The account system is better at least. I can get my stuffs on the switch I use and get it back without assle if need be.
Online work out of the box, I don't see the problem here, it's painless.
Voice chat...yeah.
I still prefer the way the switch works over shitty ps4 that sends me message for no reason that i can't do anything about it and Sony threatens to ban me if i complain too loudly.

I dont understand...

they probably deemed it not enough as they rightfully thought that some people would just not care about that and just let their kids on the switch with no parental control at all.

This has to be the most obtuse headset setup ever. I do wonder if people would be more upset over this or if Splatoon 2 didn't have VC though.

Didn't plan on using their voice chat anyway. Easier to just use Discord.

That's no different than just using their app without the mixer, in that you just won't get game audio. And you'll have the Nintendo app open anyways in order to create your lobby so your friends can play together...

Ridley327

Does Splatoon use voice chat? Honestly I don't ever see myself talking to people in an online game. I guess sucks for people that are into it.

Hopefully Nintendo reveals all their online and VC plans at E3.

The idea behind the app is that it will give online games voice chat among the other members of your party. The issue here, well, one of the issues, with the implementation that Nintendo has gone with here is that it requires an external device, rather than the built-in options on PS4 and Xbox One with their party chat systems.

Ferr986

I really don't think it's about "protecting the kids" but more about something with the collab they have with DeNA for the app.

They could have simply done this (unless it'll be there, in which case I have no idea why we would need all this shit in the first place):

Nintendo Mobile App
  • Voice chat - Uncheck
Done.

People defending this, even back in January, are missing the point entirely.

There really aren't many people actually defending this. There are far more people complaining about all the defense than there are actually defending this.

There are however plenty of people (me included) that don't think this will really be a huge problem for Nintendo when it comes to sales or their online subscription service though. It sucks that it's such a dumb solution (and it sucks that they made a decision that REQUIRES such a dumb solution) but it's not gonna hurt their bottom line.

I really don't think it's about "protecting the kids" but more about something with the collab they have with DeNA for the app.

Thats my thoughts

ANd why Reggie is stuck spinning it

DeNA partnership and pathway for the system is likely set in stone now and they have no room to change or update it

SO bizarre.... Like Switch is basically very similar to other mobile devices in both architecture and components. Why can DeNA develop this app to run on the switch itself?

I dont get it

blackflag

Seems terrible. I can't think of anything I'd want to use voice chat on from Nintendo so I don't think it will affect me personally but they really did not think this through.

I think the Switch has bluetooth, I think all they have to do is allow it to use bluetooth headsets

That wouldn't help with party chat unless they put that functionality into the OS though. At best that would provide game audio + chat with randoms which Splatoon 2 doesn't support IIRC.

Ridley327

When you make a basic feature needlessly complex, it's a big deal. We would have the same thread if this were a Sony or Microsoft product.

Hell, they both got raked over the coals for their launch bullshit regarding headsets (Sony locking down the Bluetooth on the PS4, MS having a proprietary jack for chat on the original controller with no adapter).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom