• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice... (READ MOD POST)

Filter

Pretty clever of them to market this with a squid... considering you'd need 8 fuckin arms to hold all this shit at once.

Great, now for the only way to voice chat on switch to not only be stupid and cost extra, but also be an understocked rare item thats impossible to find

why? you don't need the mixer and can use any headset or possibly even your phone speakers

mrk8885

Banned
Great, now for the only way to voice chat on switch to not only be stupid and cost extra, but also be an understocked rare item thats impossible to find

Or just buy a set like astros or any other headset that can take an audio out from your tv. And then plug your phone into either the mixamp or the headset itself (allowing it to be at your side) and chat to your hearts desire.

Look, the Nintendo option seems pretty crappy. But if you just put on your thinking cap for a couple minutes it's easy to find a workable solution.

Talking on my phone while Im playing a game is not "voice chat"

lol, console gamers and their hangups.
no, I get why you hate this ridiculous setup, but I use discord every single day, and half of the people I use it with are on their phones. shit's voice chat. just not the voice chat you expect, lol

ryechu

Hmm? No it's not. With the adapter you have more cables that can get in your way.

I know that when using only the phone you lose the game audio to an extent, but that wouldn't bother me that much because I always reduce the game audio significantly when using voice chat anyway..

It's literally the same solution. The problem here is that you don't understand.

I had somehow missed this.
I love my Switch and rarely use voice chat generally speaking, but that's all really backwards and overengineered. Like, "natively support headsets and voice chat on the console and be done with it" backwards.

I can't get over how stupid this is... there's no reason this can't be done in the Switch OS.

-- Concerns about kids access to this stuff should be controllable via the Parental Controls app (which shouldn't need to exist either outside of the OS, but that's another thread).
-- Concerns about power and resource utilization are silly in the face of the PS VITA doing this 6 years ago with vastly inferior hardware and battery capacity.

Just baffling.

It's not 2005 anymore.

Exactly. Everyone has a highly capable personal communication/internet device in their pockets; why get a dedicated headset at all? Just use your goddamn phone like everyone else this decade. If you want one then it will have cables and be more complicated to set up.

Shiggy

Exactly. Everyone has a highly capable personal communication/internet device in their pockets; why get a dedicated headset at all? Just use your goddamn phone like everyone else this decade. If you want one then it will have cables and be more complicated to set up.

Yeah, especially when you're out it's actually really great to just use the phone without a headset. Others on the train are annoyed when I turn on the Switch audio to full volume and the phone to speaker sound? Who cares!

The defence force is with you, Nintendo.

Ok hold up. The switch doesn't have bluetooth? They really dropped the ball on that one.

It does, but Nintendo chose not to support Bluetooth headsets.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
And? My TB X12 on the 360 has to plug into the console and the controller and it works fine. Who honestly gives a shit?

It's not 2005 anymore.

Exact..

This cant be a real post...

Considering that eventually MS bundled headsets with the 360 that plugged straight into the controller....

Arkam

I love my switch and think it is a great piece of hardware... but this plan boggles my mind. There is no way I will ever use this set up. I will play online games but guess I wont be talking. Which really limits what types of games & communities we will have.

I just don't understand Nintendo sometimes.

Yeah, especially when you're out it's actually really great to just use the phone without a headset. Others on the train are annoyed when I turn on the Switch audio to full volume and the phone to speaker sound? Who cares!

The defence force is with you, Nintendo.

How are you playing online on the bus when the Switch doesn't have a data plan? Tethering it to something? Like perhaps an internet device that fits in your pocket, is capable of voice chat and even supports a plethora of inline microphone headsets?

For fucking real you guys.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

There are people in this very thread that do not have smartphones.

Ziocyte

Ugh, I've been thinking about this since yesterday. I'm like 90% fine with it because it doesn't affect me. Discord when docked and I can't imagine using voice chat often in handheld. Further, I definitely can't imagine being on voice chat and worrying about having the external sound coming through switch speakers in handheld.

That 10% is me wishing that I had the option to have this really nice self contained solution in the Switch -- probably my favorite piece of gaming hardware I've ever owned -- and feeling sorry for the people this would actually affect. It's a blemish! Fix it!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Ugh, I've been thinking about this since yesterday. I'm like 90% fine with it because it doesn't affect me. Discord when docked and I can't imagine using voice chat often in handheld. Further, I definitely can't imagine being on voice chat and worrying about having the external sound coming through switch speakers in handheld.

That 10% is me wishing that I had the option to have this really nice self contained solution in the Switch -- probably my favorite piece of gaming hardware I've ever owned -- and feeling sorry for the people this would actually affect. It's a blemish! Fix it!

YnFRi2H.png

Sorry, just that last bit was hilarious to me.

MUnited83

For you.
How are you playing online on the bus when the Switch doesn't have a data plan? Tethering it to something? Like perhaps an internet device that fits in your pocket, is capable of voice chat and even supports a plethora of inline microphone headsets?

For fucking real you guys.

So I have to use a microphone headset on my phone, and also somehow use headphones on the switch at the same time, and this is supposed to work fine? LMAO. Defense force gets funnier everyday.

Factually wrong. Every other headset on every other console is simpler than this bullshit.

Has anyone explained why it's being set up this way? Are there just technical issues with the switch hardware that prevents mic/headphones being plugged in directly to it?

jts

...hate me...
Has anyone explained why it's being set up this way? Are there just technical issues with the switch hardware that prevents mic/headphones being plugged in directly to it?
Just software. There's no voice chat functionality implemented directly on the Switch.

I think it's purely because the app is only on the phone (which is likely because it's made by DeNA). The headphone jack has the capability to do mic+headphone so it's possible, but I think at best we can hope that individual games will have their own isolated chat/party implementations which would allow that.

Just software. There's no voice chat functionality implemented directly on the Switch.

I think it's purely because the app is only on the phone (which is likely because it's made by DeNA). The headphone jack has the capability to do mic+headphone so it's possible, but I think at best we can hope that individual games will have their own isolated chat/party implementations which would allow that.

A software solution couldn't eventually be implemented at the OS level?

This entire thing just confuses the hell out of me...there have to be legitimate reasons to pursue such a weird and clunky method?

Bowl0l

This entire thing just confuses the hell out of me...there have to be legitimate reasons to pursue such a weird and clunky method?
Nintendo probably contracted DeNA for a short period and realised they don't want to pay DeNA for maintaining the apps after the contract ends.

coughlanio

They don't want any cruft on their system that can be used as an attack vector for hackers.

People still don't understand how badly the 3DS was blown open. Not saying it's an excuse, but it's understandable to a degree.

HardRojo

Wait, you were being serious? Man it's hard to tell nowadays, I can't believe it.

Septimius

The issue I have with this system is that no one will use voice chat. The thing that opened my eyes was getting an Xbox 360 and seeing the effect the included headset had. I thought it was stupid, but then I saw how many used voice chat because it was a pack-in. With this system, I know no one in random lobbies in Splatoon will be in the lobby voice chat. Of course I'd rather use Discord or a third party if I'm gonna game with friends, which is the only time I'd use voice chat.

I'm just sad to see what should be a universal feature be left behind because it's behind some arbitrary phone-wall

Schnozberry

Self imposed restrictions aimed at protecting children.

moeman

They don't want any cruft on their system that can be used as an attack vector for hackers.

People still don't understand how badly the 3DS was blown open. Not saying it's an excuse, but it's understandable to a degree.

Even with the 3DS being blown open, software continues to sell on the system. Every end-user shouldn't be treated like a thief just for the actions of a certain few who may pirate Nintendo's games or exploit their hardware. It's not a good look for the business (as this thread has shown).

Dinjoralo

Semi-related, those headphones look like they'd hurt like hell before long. I dunno why, but they remind me of some headphones I only vaguely remember the design of, and they chafed something fierce.

MazeHaze

Banned
I use a wireless bluetooth headset on my PC and PS4. I turn put it on my ears and it works.

Apathy

Dear god the defence force is going to be doing this shit the whole generation aren't they?

Top Bottom