• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uh... what's the appeal of Funko Pop figures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know what they are, for those who don't know, they look like this

3991_DrangonBallZ_-_Vegata_GLAM_1024x1024.jpg

some sort of rejected Sackboys who abandoned their sack skin and instead went for a plastic body

Anyway, I always see them in stores, particularly in comic book stores. I feel they're kinda tacky, and the forced, "copy paste" body makes them look uninspired.

Oh but you will say "super deformed!" and "chibi!" Well no, they can still be varied in designs despite that. Compare one to say, a nendoroid.

eb1ff18e2583457c9ed09b13cc9457b5.jpg

And I'm not even going for figma or figuarts.

They're not even huggable like plushies!

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Doggie pls

The main difference is that they're pretty affordable at under $10 each whereas Nendos go for $30+. I'll give you that the human ones aren't perfect, but the animals and unique sculpts are pretty cool.

Boss Doggie

Then again I guess the problem is that you won't see Western licensed nendoroid...

...right?

NimbusD

There's a lot of them, and for pretty much every franchise? I guess that's it. I got one as a present a few years ago and just looked it up on amazon and it's worth like 80 bucks and it's just a random side character from a pixar movie.

Forkball

These things are like seven bucks while nendoroids are more than a 3DS game. Also they feature a lot of characters that have little to no merchandise.

They're fun, cheap collectibles and you can probably find a character you like from a zillion franchises.

But man go to a convention and vendors think they're selling rare Beanie Babies.

They have the license to make figures for things that usually don't get them.
They're relatively cheap and have a unified art style, but other than that, they're dreadful.
Worst mainstream collectible merchandise out there. Hideous
There are some that work, but they don't look like Pop figures just big headed cartoony creatures

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
nendroids are super hard to get a reasonable price sometimes while pop figures are easy to get (for the most part, some of those comic con exclusives are bullshit, I want my Bryan Fuller pop! dammit!) and they for the most part are designed in a fun way. That and it's not like Breaking Bad or like Friends is getting a dedicated toy line, this is a good stop gap. Something small and collectible that shows you're a fan of this particular series and it's affordable.

Boss Doggie

More desk junk.

I think most of them are ugly. Only certain characters look good, usually non-humans.

Couple of the better ones, IMO:

I think they are less bland because they are not constrained to human bodies, yeah.

The eyes are annoying though. The Jabba boxart is a lie, the eyes should have been like that.

These things are like seven bucks while nendoroids are more than a 3DS game. Also they feature a lot of characters that have little to no merchandise.

Oh right, import pricing.

Neol

Affordable, cute and nice for display.

Its basically filling the need of getting figures without spending $100 on each piece. They cover a lot of different genres of entertainment as well so you'll always find one that you'll like. Nendos, while superior, doesn't cover all those genres as well as being much pricier.

Sponge

Banned
There's been a lot of hate for these toys lately. I think a lot of them don't look the best but some are really cute. I've been collecting them since Summer of last year. The reason I like them is because of the price and the novelty. Funko has so many licenses, so you could have The Golden Girls, Spider-Man and Goku all on your shelf in the same style. I can't get that with something like, say, Nendroids.

Draxal

I like nendos, but a Nendo is 4 times as much a FunkoPop figurue, and is less durable.

Funko has some many licenses, so you could have The Golden Girls, Spider-Man and Goku all on your shelf in the same style. I can't get that with something like, say, Nendroids.

Nendo's have a ton of western licenses right now actually. Can have a Stormtrooper, with Iron Man, Solid Snake and Link along with all the anime stuff.

Doggie pls

The main difference is that they're pretty affordable at under $10 each whereas Nendos go for $30+. I'll give you that the human ones aren't perfect, but the animals and unique sculpts are pretty cool.

This. I own one Nendroid, the Red one, and it was $50. It looks great, but not much better than the $5-10 pop figures I have next to it.

Admittedly, I've tried to avoid collecting things that I can't use, and only have 4 Pop figures at the moment.

They're cute and super-deformed, but not in an anime kinda of way. Plus, they're cheap, they're uniform in their basic design elements, and they have a good variety of characters.

bigkrev

They have licenese for just about everything you could be a fan of- Sports Teams, Anime, Games, Movies, Comics, TV Shows ect. They are cheap enough that you can usually justify it with a "eh, i'll pack lunch for a day instead of eating out/I'll make coffee at home instead of at Starbucks", and they have a unified style and packaging that make them easy to display on a desk.

Sponge

Banned
I like nendos, but a Nendo is 4 times as much a FunkoPop figurue, and is less durable.

Nendo's have a ton of western licenses right now actually. Can have a Stormtrooper, with Iron Man, Solid Snake and Link along with all the animu games.

They have a lot of cool anime and video game licenses but I feel Funko covers a lot more.

BiggNife

They're cheap and easy to collect, and a lot of people think they're cute. It's easy to find a Funko Pop of your favorite pop culture thing and have it propped up at your desk at work.

I agree with you that Nendoroids are a thousand times better than Funko Pops, but also Nendroids regularly go for $40 whereas Pops are normally $8-$12. When something is that cheap it encourages collecting (just look at amiibos).

I personally think they're super ugly but from a marketing perspective it's kind of genius.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Is Boss Doggie a known gimmick poster or are people just letting a dude obsessed with buff cartoon dogs get away with questioning the appeal of something?

Goliath

I used to think the same thing, however I changed my mind after seeing a couple for franchises that I like (He-man). The main appeal is that they encompass SO MANY FRANCHISES and are very affordable. Not all of them are good but the ones that I have chosen go well with my movie and video game collections. These are the ones I have:

And I plan to get black and white Universal Studio monsters one for the blu ray that is displayed, a few Street Fighter ones, Mega man and Resident Evil. Many of these franchises have little in the way of affordable small collectables. It's either an $800 statue, a $65 dollar specialty figure, a $20 crappy toy or a $10 pop. I also have a few minimates because they covered Street Fighter, Tekken, Expendables, Aliens, Predator, Bruce Lee, Resident Evil and TMNT pretty affordably. These figures are also subtle like the Pops.

Boss Doggie

No wait, I take that back.

Funko Pop are better looking compared to Dorbs.

7518_BMvSM_Batman_Dorbs_GLAM_large.jpg

I mean seriously - this is much worse.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Here are some of my favorites:
YC8FXNd.png

Most of them look way better in person than promo shots. Here's a couple pictures I took a while back. Sauron and Smaug are great examples of really detailed POP!.

Also yeah Dorbz are dumb

Some of the big ones are cool, like the Alduin and the songbird. Idk, I buy some of the ones for properties I like just because it's fun to hunt for them.

Zomba13

The thing I don't like about them is the fucking eyes. Everything else I don't mind. I don't mind how they look and its cool they cover so many properties and are reasonably priced but it's those fucking dead, black eyes. It's not a "oh, they freak me out" thing it's just I think the eyes look ugly and ruin them.

I like the idea of buying the figures of things you're actually interested in, and if people collect them, go ahead, since they seem pretty cheap compared to other collectible figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom