• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uh... what's the appeal of Funko Pop figures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

Then again I guess the problem is that you won't see Western licensed nendoroid...

...right?

If only.
Captain-America-Nendoroid-Figure-e1454856716491.jpg

FIGURE-013097.jpg

236284.jpg

FIGURE-008907.jpg

4fafd24586307589a7a91656d062f665.jpg

FIGURE-010644.jpg

I don't own any of them but they're not bad. The eyes being beady is a bit of a meh quality.

I do have a Spider-Man and Captain America that're something similar from many years ago. I don't remember the name of the maker but the arms, legs, and head move. They're not bad either.

rpmurphy

If my budget sense only afforded me or made me willing to spend only around $10 for a figure, they would probably be my choice. Other stuff of that price range I think would be worse-looking.

Dreavus

I mean at some point it just becomes a collector thing, right? I have friend with a bunch still in the box that mostly came from loot crate.

AdanVC

They look awful. I really don't see the appeal of them or why they are so popular. Some of them doesn't even resemble the characters they're supposed to represent.

ryseing

The only one I've ever bought (Dancing Groot) arrived broken. So.

I'm of two minds about the brands thing. I agree with the principle that brands shouldn't define your life, but I'm sitting here wearing a band shirt. Is that really much different? Brands offer a universal point of reference for everyone, which is helpful for those who are socially awkward and need easy things to talk about aka those who make up most of the primary market these things are aimed at.

I guess, enjoy what you love, and talk about it/represent it, but at the same time don't make brands the only thing that define you. Have interesting experiences/hobbies.

Reversed

Funkos aren't as customizable as Nendos (faceplates, parts, whatever). Though the latter make up for funny images on the internet.

JLynn

The appeal to me about Funko is you can have the Undertaker from Black Butler go against The Undertaker from WWE.

Can't do that with Nendoroid.

Yeah, I really don't get the visual appeal either. I get that people like that it's affordable and that there's a huge variety to collect. But otherwise, I find most of them to be ugly.

Seeing some examples posted, it seems like the less human face that Funko has to work with, the better the results. Masked, helmeted, or non-human ones. So there are some good looking ones, but for the most part I find them to be really boring and generic, especially if they just have some plain face.

cacildo

Yeah, i hate Funko too.

Ever since i first saw em it was like "this sucks"

And then a friend gave my wife and i the Rey funko toy... it also sucks and we had to say "thank you its lovely" because its a really dear friend and it was extra nice of her to give us a gift (and they arent cheap over here)

(my wife thought it was pretty cute)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The appeal to me about Funko is you can have the Undertaker from Black Butler go against The Undertaker from WWE.

Can't do that with Nendoroid.

are you saying that we're getting wrestling anime soon?

Yeah, I really don't get the visual appeal either. I get that people like that it's affordable and that there's a huge variety to collect. But otherwise, I find most of them to be ugly.

Seeing some examples posted, it seems like the less human face that Funko has to work with, the better the results. Masked, helmeted, or non-human ones. So there are some good looking ones, but for the most part I find them to be really boring and generic, especially if they just have some plain face.
Yeah the non-human/oddly-shaped/covered face ones are less bland-looking due to being non-generic in their build.

icespide

Banned
I like funko pop figures OKAY, they do look/feel very cheap. Special ones will catch my eye here and there though like these:

61Eeak4MbjL._SL1016_.jpg

tumblr_nvvk79jXVj1u496xso1_1280.jpg

Putting these dumb toys on your desk seems like a great idea if you never want to be taken seriously and get ahead in your job.

My desk is covered in toys and random junk from friend's kids and stuff. I never got the "you won't get taken seriously with toys on your desk" thing. Most people I know have toys or model cars or some such up and around. What type of work do you do that this would be frowned upon?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Here are some more cool ones that go outside the box in terms of basic humanoid design:
om5tfO9.png

Also freaking SPIDER-GWEN is coming out! Come on, how is that not awesome?

UPkMCgj.jpg

ngower

I don't collect them, really, but I have like 5 or 6 on my toy shelf. Most of them were gifts. I think Kylo Ren is the only one I bought for myself. They're cheap and pretty much every medium/franchise has a Pop so you've got a wide audience to appeal to.

frontovik

Banned
I personally don't find the designs appealing (notably the inflated heads and weird eyes), but people like them because they're cheap and quirky like bobbleheads.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
whoa spider-gwen looks awesome!

also I'm a big fan of mighty mugs myself

I really miss Mighty Muggs. Really happy I got R.O.M. the Space Knight at SDCC 2014 as a last hurrah to the line.

RymqmtO.png

I collect both Nendoroids and POP! so either way I win.

Mz4oVxR.gif

I've entertained the idea of getting some Funkos, but...I haven't.

However, I will saw if I was going to buy just one, it would be the Sharknado Funko. That one is just silly.

TalonJH

I probably wouldn't go out of my way to buy them. The ones I own are from Lootcrate or given as a gift by my wife.

Old picture from the old house but here are a few of the ones I own.
bIeyeXd.jpg

The Baymax and Domo Batman are both from my wife.

I also have som mighty mugs and other figures in my home office on a shelf.

Here are some more cool ones that go outside the box in terms of basic humanoid design:

Also freaking SPIDER-GWEN is coming out! Come on, how is that not awesome?

Spider Gwen looks good because she's not doing that leg spread power stance that every other funko does. And her proportions are leaning more toward Nendo proportions which I find more appealing. Wide body and wide head make me go O__o But, that depends on the character.

They are terrible. Awful aesthetics, the style is just gross. My friend thinks theyre cute but they just look terrifying to me. Those square heads and beady eyes just look cheap and badly designed. Only a couple ive seen look decent, but a broken clock is right twice a day expecially considering they churn out hundreds (thousands maybe?) of these things.

They're very affordable and they're based on every popular franchise you can think of.

I work at a distributor of (licensed) toys and collectibles in Europe.
Underground Toys (exclusive Euro distributor for Funko) is our 2nd top supplier, right behind SideShow Collectibles. The line is still not showing any signs of slowing down.

Nendoroid/Figma/HeroCross/EggAttack(BeastKingdom) sell like a few dozen per figure. Pop!s by the thousands if it's based on a popular franchise.
Japanese/SD/cute style figures are just not as appealing and are usually much more expensive.

Here's a funny anecdote: when Funko was still looking for an official European distributor one of our sales guys suggested we should step in. Our CEO turned it down...

Personally I'm not a fan of Pop!s. I'm not feeling the lifeless look. But from a design standpoint I can appreciate how they've Pop!ified certain characters, especially the larger ones based on creatures/monsters like the recent Rancor one.
I do really like Funko's Hikari line, but they're a bit too expensive for me. I also like their new "Rock Candy" line; collectible vinyle figures based on "powerful" female characters aimed at a female audience.
Rock Candy is doing pretty well already and I expect to see more collectibles aimed at females in the future.

Breads

Banned
A have a lot of friends who (or their kids) like them. I find it really convenient for gift giving.

:e:

Spidergwen looks amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom