• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uhhh Aonuma just admitted Wii U GamePad disrupts gameplay...

Torokil

And yet they made Starfox Zero.......

Ended up giving it to my friends kid after playing it for a bit. I didn't like the new gameplay.

Miyomoto is balls deep when it comes to this type of shit. I'm glad Aonuma is more level headed.

Well, pausing the game to change your items disrupts the gameplay too, but the gamepad makes it more seamless. I see no issue with it.

I don't have to look away from my screen when I pause.

With the gamepad I now have to pause, look down, manipulate a touchscreen, then look back up, and unpause.

I never felt like the Gamepad was convenient.

Big Nikus

I love the gamepad and especially in Zelda...
I don't care if I have to switch back and forth, it gives the feeling to really be looking down at a map, AND there's even less stuff on the TV screen. I switch mini maps off in every games that give the option because otherwise I can't help but look at it all the time and it kills the immersion a bit.
At least, give players the option...

And yet they made Starfox Zero.......

Ended up giving it to my friends kid after playing it for a bit. I didn't like the new gameplay.

He didnt make star fox zero tho...........do you people think that miyamoto makes all nintendo games or sumtin?

Well, yeah, that's always been apparent. I think ZombiU even took advantage of that.

Second screen is a pretty nice idea to be honest, i'd like to see them iterate on it even if just with their handhelds.

RomanceDawn

It's nice to see that people at Nintendo finally saying the Wii U Gamepad was a mistake.

I really do wonder who was the driving force behind the Wii U Gamepad. No one has gone out and made claim to inventing it.

I remember being in high school, it was right before the Gamecube released or right after, Miyamoto was talking about how he wished consoles weren't tethered to tv's. I'm certain it was mainly his idea.

I like the gamepad in the Zelda remakes and I like it in Star Fox. If it doesn't work for the new Zelda than no problem with that.

SerTapTap

Why are people bringing up gyro aiming? Why do people ALWAYS bring up gyro aiming? The PS4 controller has a gyro perfect for gyro aiming. You don't have to look at it...it doesn't even have a screen. Gyro aiming does not necessitate or validate the gamepad.

One of the best uses of the gamepad is WWHD because it's all ancillary and never required. IT's fine in that sense but the more you force it the worse it is.

The Boat

How disapointing, pushing the gamepad under the bus for port parity. After WW HD and TP HD, it'll be a step back if they don't use the gamepad at least for the map and inventory.

It's a pain in the ass, and it's also really uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time. Pleeeeease let the NX controller be something, well, sane.

ChaosXVI

Oh wow...that's pretty nuts that he would be so blunt about that. I can't imagine Shiggy will be very happy with him for saying that so soon after Star Fox Zero came out, with him specifically taking a ton of heat for the control choices in it.

But still, good on him for being honest. As much as the gamepad works for some select situations (Super Mario Maker probably being it's best usage), it's just not a good fit for most games other than being used as a map or extra buttons.

I really, really hope they reveal the NX soon. I can't wait much longer.

PKrockin

With the gamepad I now have to pause, look down, manipulate a touchscreen, then look back up, and unpause.

But with the gamepad, you can get your ass beat in combat while you take your hand off the buttons in order to touch the screen and your eyes off the action to select your items. Doesn't that sound more fun than pausing?

Freeman

Banned
It only took them years, to realize the first thing anyone thinks about when they are presented with the dual screen.

Malus

I like my gamepad map and inventory :(

edit: Especially in a game like this, where I'll be spending a lot of time just running around. I could glance at the gamepad to get a bigger view of the map and where I am without having to pause.

It's not a big thing but I don't really get the need to remove it.

Anything to do with menus disrupts the gameplay, that's my point.

If you don't like the gamepad, at least the Wii U Zelda games give you the option of not using it, don't they?

KAL2006

Banned
I said this shit since day 1 a second screen is pointless on a console and disruptive. On the DS it was okay as the screen is just below with a easy glance away.

I still wouldn't mind a second screen on NX but it needs to be tiny and not the main focus. Perhaps slightly bigger than the PS4 Touchpad.

The Boat

I honestly can't believe they will remove the map from the gamepad. It makes no sense. What will they use the gamepad for other than (the awesome) gyro aiming and a few puzzles?

Really depends on the game.

Games like Splatoon and Pikmin 3 were absolutely improved by the use of the gamepad, but I could see it detracting from a game like Zelda or Mario if you constantly have to look back and forth between the two.

PKrockin

It only took them years, to realize the first thing anyone thinks about when they are presented with the dual screen.
Not all dual screens. The DS and 3DS fare just fine since the screens are so close to each other and so small they almost might as well be one screen.

This sounds like a comment about Zelda specifically rather than the out-of-context statement about the console as a whole people are going to make it be for the next several years.

The thing is, though, it applies perfectly to Star Fox Zero, which is, like, the only title so far that really makes major use of multi-screen aspect of GP in single-player, and in the effect sucks. ZombiU was a weird thing that really perfected minor use of it, but the game could work really well on regular setups if it was ported a little better than it was.

For basically everything else (barring some indie titles I didn't try yet) it ended up being completely minor. Yes, Splatoon too, it wouldn't be much worse with map in the corner, possibly with a resize button prompt or something. Aiming in Splatoon and Zeldas was a gyro thing, Mario Maker worked well due to touchscreen (though it arguably would work as well with a mouse), but the synergy of TV and GP simply doesn't exist.

Honey Bunny

I'm certain multiple people used that exact analogy around Wii U's launch on here. Crazy hearing it from the horse's mouth.

They must have realized this a while ago, but with the NX now more or less a known quantity they have less to lose than if the Wii U remained their future.

Saving face I guess. Maybe that's why most games restrict the 2nd screen to menu's and etc, but even that's still distracting. I'd rather press a start button and continue to look at the tv.

buttdiver

Sony realized this when they were prototyping the touchpad for the Dualshock 4.

Surprised it took Nintendo years (and a failed console) to arrive at the same conclusion.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Wasn't he all lovey dovey about it when it came to the OOT/MM/WW/SS remasters? Seems odd to shit on it now unless he's just using it as cover for dropping those features to make porting to the NX simpler.

Yeah he totally was.

I'm sure many will applaud this comment, but honestly I find this sudden 180 on input philosophy pretty shitty.

I understand you have an upcoming system to sell, but the NX version is going to perform vastly better anyways, so at least throw the WiiU owners a bone and keep the touchscreen map features that have been proven to work well with WWHD and TPHD. I mean the game was obviously designed with the Gamerpad in mind, why remove its main focus now and suddenly act like its a hinderance? It's like they want to squander any question of what version is the best by removing any possible advantage the WiiU could have over the NX.

Such a decision should be ridiculed, not applauded.

kunonabi

But with the gamepad, you can get your ass beat in combat while you take your hand off the buttons in order to touch the screen and your eyes off the action to select your items. Doesn't that sound more fun than pausing?

If Wonderful 101 combat works just fine with using the gamepad for actual combat techniques I'm sure Zelda could handle basic item switching when needed. Most of the time for these things you don't actually need to look at the gamepad to use touch screens. People's weird view of the gamepad reminds me of the people who think you had to stand up to use the wiimote and nunchuk.

I'll always take quick live functions over frequently pausing gameplay.

Why are people bringing up gyro aiming? Why do people ALWAYS bring up gyro aiming? The PS4 controller has a gyro perfect for gyro aiming. You don't have to look at it...it doesn't even have a screen. Gyro aiming does not necessitate or validate the gamepad.

The point here is that the Wii U Pro Controller doesn't have a gyro (though it certainly should, and it's a gross oversight that it doesn't). That's a separate matter from whether you need a controller with a screen or the things that people seem to dislike about the GamePad (the bulk, the battery life).

I think something is being misread in all this, anyway. A map is still on the GamePad, I'm sure, but a short-range minimap (and the scope function for setting waypoint markers) is on the main screen. I agree that an ideal second-screen implementation is indeed something like WWHD's: entirely optional but nice to have for the players that want it or like added features such as Miiverse posting. I suspect the NX will be designed around that philosophy in some form: everything playable on one screen, optionally enhanced with two.

(I'll also reiterate, as I do in every thread like this, that it's almost criminal that the DS, 3DS, and Wii U all went by without an original Metroid game, because that's a genre where simultaneous second-screen maps that you can glance at without interrupting your movement are amazing.)

Arttemis

Well, that quote is precisely how I feel about Star Fox Zero.

Go him. This makes me even more excited for the new Zelda!

I mean Wind Waker on Wii U does an excellent job with inventory and map. Gamepad use is also excellent with the probes in Xenoblade. I think it really depends on how you designate the gamepad.

Top Bottom