• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uhhh Aonuma just admitted Wii U GamePad disrupts gameplay...

oni-link

True, that's why I hope the NX offers compatibility with either their new Handheld for titles that want to support such a Mode or just allow the Gamepad to connect at least for off Screen play.

I still like the Gamepad, playing Off Screen and using it for Art Academy is still awesome.

I don't even dislike the gamepad, and while not something I use, off screen is something a lot of people like

It's just not worth the downsides as it doesn't add enough from a gameplay perspective

If the Wii U launched with the Pro and it was $100 cheaper it would have done Gamecube numbers at least, the gamepad really held it back, it's not what people wanted

Ansatz

Ehh I'm sure the NX controller will feature a screen in it for displaying information in certain games and to enable touch screen controls for stuff like Miiverse drawings and Mario Maker. The only way I don't see them do it is if the NX handheld only has 1 screen, because otherwise they need two screens for the home console in order to maintain control scheme parity between all the hardware form factors for the shared library concept to work properly.

No sure what's happening here with Aonuma: the gamepad is great for Splatoon, for Mario Maker, for XCX, for Deus Ex, also for all the games where you can deport the map and inventory so Zelda: BotW would be a great fit just like it was for WW HD and TP HD.

This can only mean one thing: NX does not have a gamepad and he is trying already to distance Nintendo from it?

Nictel

In my opinion the design is flawed, the second screen works for some games but not for all. They should have made it modular. So you can separate the screen and combine the outer pieces to form a 'normal' controller. The pad is such an unwieldy thing and that screen causes the battery life to be abysmal.

Simbabbad

The Gamepad is ideal for Zelda, and made Wind Waker ridiculously better. Map, inventory management, all that have been made painless thanks to the Gamepad. The disrupting element happens if you're using its screen for real time gameplay, and this never happened for a Zelda game, be it Wind Waker HD or Twilight Princess HD.

oni-link

In my opinion the design is flawed, the second screen works for some games but not for all. They should have made it modular. So you can separate the screen and combine the outer pieces to from a 'normal' controller. The pad is such an unwieldy thing and that screen causes the battery life to be abysmal.

Or, they should have made the Pro the default and then offered the gamepad as something extra those who wanted it could buy

Much like how the Wii U used the Wii remote, it was not mandatory, but it was offered as an option in some games

NX should launch with a standard controller as the default, and then let those who have or want to use legacy controls do so if they like

It makes no sense to alienate the one demographic that buy dedicated gaming hardware by forcing them to use things they have rejected time and time again.

The casual market don't buy dedicated hardware anymore, so it makes no sense targeting them unless you're making mobile your primary market

Jackano

Ehh I'm sure the NX controller will feature a screen in it for displaying information in certain games and to enable touch screen controls for stuff like Miiverse drawings and Mario Maker. The only way I don't see them do it is if the NX handheld only has 1 screen, because otherwise they need two screens for the home console in order to maintain control scheme parity between all the hardware form factors for the shared library concept to work properly.

No sure what's happening here with Aonuma: the gamepad is great for Splatoon, for Mario Maker, for XCX, for Deus Ex, also for all the games where you can deport the map and inventory so Zelda: BotW would be a great fit just like it was for WW HD and TP HD.

This can only mean one thing: NX does not have a gamepad and he is trying already to distance Nintendo from it?

I exposed this in a dead NX thread weeks ago, but I'm more and more convinced NX home controller and NX handheld will share the same (bottom) touch screen. Like a 320p one, not the big gamepad one.

It's a good balancing compared to the Wii U gamepad when you think about it. This way you get a perfect symmetry between the control scheme/bottom screen + Upper screen of the handheld and the controller + TV on the home console.

Instro

Completely disagree on XCX, it was a total hindrance to use in that game, although part of that has to do with the map design itself. I'd rather have had a full size map on the main screen to open in the menu.

As for Splatoon, I found the game to be much more enjoyable just using dual sticks instead of the motion, and the map didn't really do anything for me because I never wanted to look down during play.

Hermii

The Gamepad is ideal for Zelda, and made Wind Waker ridiculously better. Map, inventory management, all that have been made painless thanks to the Gamepad. The disrupting element happens if you're using its screen for real time gameplay, and this never happened for a Zelda game, be it Wind Waker HD or Twilight Princess HD.

Im sure Breath of the Wild will have gamepad functionality similar to those games, I think he is saying exactly the same thing as you are saying in this post. It would be Nice to have the Source for context.

The gamepad (play ON the gamepad and not on your tv) itself is awesome ,especially with the low latency.

Couch coop/multiplayer with one player on tv and one player on the pad is a great idea too

Just because they did some really stupid gimicky shit by putting UIs and maps on the gamepad or starfox doesn't mean the concept of playing your games without your tv is not a great idea.

It's the single purpose of all my handhelds over the years, if they could increase the range so it works everywhere in the house and not just in the same room as the console it would render handhelds obsolete for me.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Its quite obvious they ripped gamepad functionality out of the Wii U version to have parity with the NX, this is just an excuse for that. Not that hes wrong.
I was thinking the exact same.

Ansatz

I exposed this in a dead NX thread weeks ago, but I'm more and more convinced NX home controller and NX handheld will share the same (bottom) touch screen. Like a 320p one, not the big gamepad one.

It's a good balancing compared to the Wii U gamepad when you think about it. This way you get a perfect symmetry between the control scheme/bottom screen + Upper screen of the handheld and the controller + TV on the home console.

Exactly what I'm thinking, this hypothetical NX controller would be better described as a standard controller with a screen in it, whereas the Wii U gamepad can be thought of as a tablet controller with buttons. If that makes sense.

It'll be like a Pro Controller that has a flexible screen in the middle. I think it will do everything the Wii U gamepad does now, except it won't be viable/comfortable to play games off-TV.

Simbabbad

Im sure Breath of the Wild will have gamepad functionality similar to those games, I think he is saying exactly the same thing as you are saying in this post. It would be Nice to have the Source for context.
Oh, I'm not saying this against Aonuma, I'm saying this to put some reality into this silly thread full of crass nonsense and ignorance: the Wii U gamepad already made Zelda mind bogglingly better twice, and as we could see on the Threehouse stream, THE GAMEPAD IS VERY MUCH USED IN BREATH OF THE WILD, for the map in particular where you can mark an area.

oni-link

Oh, I'm not saying this against Aonuma, I'm saying this to put some reality into this silly thread full of crass nonsense and ignorance: the Wii U gamepad already made Zelda mind bogglingly better twice, and as we could see on the Threehouse stream, THE GAMEPAD IS VERY MUCH USED IN BREATH OF THE WILD, for the map in particular where you can mark an area.

I've only played Wind Waker HD but that's a bit of a stretch. It's subjective at best

Looking down to the screen so you could change items is a pause in all but name, half the time if I was mid battle I would just pause the game before changing the item anyway

If anything the poor battery life was more of a nuisance when playing Zelda thanks to the gamepad

I can't speak for the other game as I've not played it, and I'm not sure how well it will be used in the new Zelda, but whacking a map on a screen away from my line of sight doesn't make something "mind bogglingly better" in my opinion

I'm really gonna miss off screen play when the new console arrives. Best feature of the gamepad by far.

They should allow you to use it with the NX, just like how you could use Wii controllers on the Wii U, and Gamecube controllers on the Wii

Hermii

After Reading the interview I think its sad that it took Miyamoto stepping back in order for Aonuma feeling he had the freedom to create what he wanted to.

JediLink

Well I'm glad someone at Nintendo still has their head screwed on at least. Breath of the Wild is looking like it's going to be one to remember.

I still hope he comes around re: female Link though.

Mokujin

I may be wrong but it seems like Aonuma is becoming the next #1 Superstar of Nintendo...

So much sanity and bringing Nintendo forward with the Zelda reveal.

Simbabbad

I've only played Wind Waker HD but that's a bit of a stretch.
You obviously forgot how it was before. Juggling constantly with items and navigating the menus to access the maps over and over was a constant disruption, whereas being able to do all this on the fly with just a glance was a God sent liberation. It'll be painful to go back from this.

Waji

They spend years saying the double play-style is good (TV - Gamepad) and then that ?
He just says what goes right at the time.

I personally don't mind having part of the game on the gamepad.
Looking at it is instant and getting back to the screen also. My eyes are faster than loading screen to reach a map or whatever menu.

And with the "it cuts the gameplay", we might argue it's the opposite since with the Gamepad, you don't modify the main screen.
On the opposite, you often have to pause to watch the map and so on, on a TV alone.

I like good controllers, but the gamepad too. Really useful in some situations.

scamander

Banned
I'm sure pausing the game to go into the menu and to swap or discard items every 10 or so seconds is disrupting the gameplay less than taking a quick glance down to the gamepad and touching your weapon of choice within a second.

Surely, the lack of Gamepad features have nothing to do with the upcoming NX whatsoever. Who would even think that?

Ysarus

I agree with many people that the Gamepad was a bad idea to begin with, because it's stupidly expensive and useless for most games. That said, it exists, and we might as well use it when it makes sense. Its functions were completely optional in the Zelda ports, and honestly I liked the tactile inventory and map screen and so did many others, regardless of how others may feel about it. Simply removing them entirely feels like one final fuck you to Wii U owners.

I mean, the game should run better on NX anyway, it's not like that would make the Wii U version a better deal. I can only hope they'll change their minds before release.

oni-link

You obviously forgot how it was before. Juggling constantly with items and navigating the menus to access the maps over and over was a constant disruption, whereas being able to do all this on the fly with just a glance was a God sent liberation. It'll be painful to go back from this.

I play a not of non Nintendo games across several other systems and often need to do just that, and it's rarely something I pull my hair out over

It's convenient, sure, but 3 hours battery life is not, there are pros and cons to the gamepad, and from a gameplay perspective the pros don't do enough to outweigh the cons, in my opinion, and in the opinion of consumers in general, hence the poor sales

I found this quite interesting; especially after the release of Star Fox Zero, and then of course, especially since this was the main driving point of the Wii U. A sign of things to come?

Source: Wired
He is indeed.

But play Wind Waker HD with a Pro and a Gamepad. The Gampead adds a lot to the experience.

Btw, the constant menu navigation was very disrupting in the Breath of the Wild demo.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
This is odd because it completely contradicts NintendoLife's report. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ust_in_the_legend_of_zelda_breath_of_the_wild

The GamePad also seems to be put to good use elsewhere in the game, particularly as a real-world proxy for Link's helpful Sheikah Slate. The biggest use of this device in the demo was to serve as a Xenoblade Chronicles X-style interactive map, which, like the land it charts, scales beautifully. When we zoomed out fully on the suggestion of our Nintendo rep, we got an almost overwhelming sense of the vastness of the explorable world, but even better, when we zoomed in, we were treated to a topo-map display that showed distances and depths in lovingly-lined detail. The cartography is customizable as well; you can set 'stamps' anywhere on the map — using either the top-down plan or a first-person scope — and choose from a variety of symbols and colours to represent whatever you'd like to remember. Finally, we also used the GamePad to scan in a handy Wolf Link amiibo, which brought in the hairy hero as an AI-controlled canine companion who howled and ran alongside us. Though we didn't get to really put him through his paces, we love the idea, and it looks to be a really fun feature — we can't wait to take Wolf Link on extended adventures across Hyrule.

Being able to play off-screen was a game changer to me, it's probably my favourite thing to happen to console gaming in the last few gens. In terms of gameplay it was hit or miss, some games benefitted but most it seemed unnecessary or a minor benefit. It wasn't enough to justify the price tag and the general consumer wasn't interested.

Having said that I'd be disappointed if it wasn't supported in some way on the NX. It shouldn't be packed in with the device but i would like to be able to use it.

FStubbs

I wonder if Miyamoto was within an earshot.

The quote seems true, by the way, and I long planned to make a long post about why I find the whole idea of GamePad inherently flawed as well as some guesses on why Nintendo decided to go with it anyway, with commentary on titles that people find working well. That said I just don't know anymore if it really needs to be posted.

Long thoughtful posts are always a good read. Go for it.

dity

No shit. I remember when they originally released Mario Kart 8 with the map only on the Gamepad and you just NEVER looked at it because it was impossible to drive and do that too.

Waji

I'm sure pausing the game to go into the menu and to swap or discard items every 10 or so seconds is disrupting the gameplay less than taking a quick glance down to the gamepad and touching your weapon of choice within a second.

Surely, the lack of Gamepad features have nothing to do with the upcoming NX whatsoever. Who would even think that?
Please tell me that's ironic.

pringles

No shit. I remember when they originally released Mario Kart 8 with the map only on the Gamepad and you just NEVER looked at it because it was impossible to drive and do that too.
Yeah it simply doesn't work in intense games like MK where you have no time to look away from the main screen.

But it's amazing in Zelda games, Mario Maker, ZombieU, Affordable Space Adventures, etc. and works really well in a host of other games too.

It looks like the NX will not have a second screen and Aounoma can't really sit around saying that the second screen makes the game better and then show an NX version that doesn't have those features. The NX version needs to be the 'best' in every way. Sadly it looks like BotW will therefore not be using WiiU features that could make the game a better experience.

ramparter

Banned

Thread title is misleading. Aonuma said its disrupting having the user to switch his view between main screen and gamepad.

dity

Yeah it simply doesn't work in intense games like MK where you have no time to look away from the main screen.

But it's amazing in Zelda games, Mario Maker, ZombieU, Affordable Space Adventures, etc. and works really well in a host of other games too.

It looks like the NX will not have a second screen and Aounoma can't really sit around saying that the second screen makes the game better and then show an NX version that doesn't have those features. The NX version needs to be the 'best' in every way. Sadly it looks like BotW will therefore not be using WiiU features that could make the game a better experience.

Of course it works for Mario Maker, that's basically just a supersized 3DS game.

But gonna be honest and say the improvements for menus just aren't worth the Gamepad to me. The time it takes me to remap an item in Wind Waker on GCN is pretty comparable to in Wind Waker for Wii U. Bit faster on Wii U, but it's probably not worth whatever we pay for the Gamepad.

scamander

Banned
Please tell me that's ironic.

;)

But gonna be honest and say the improvements for menus just aren't worth the Gamepad to me. The time it takes me to remap an item in Wind Waker on GCN is pretty comparable to in Wind Waker for Wii U. Bit faster on Wii U, but it's probably not worth whatever we pay for the Gamepad.

Maybe, but we already payed for it, so might as well use it for this game (in which, by the looks of it, we have to swap/ discard items way more often than in previous Zelda games).

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
This is great news and I hope it means Nintendo are going with a traditional screenless controller for the NX console. For those upset, you might not have to worry. I think there's a good chance Nintendo will make the NX handheld function as a controller for the console as well as its own stand alone device.

Aonuma is the same guy that made a big deal about second screen inventory and map since OoT 3D. And he was actually right.
Just because he's saying a lie to justify the NX porting doesn't make it true.

I completely agree and always felt that way. Hence I never got the Wii U. For me the only thing it does well is local multiplayer, and there aren't even many games that take advantage of that.

Lux R7

get

Top Bottom