• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uhhh Aonuma just admitted Wii U GamePad disrupts gameplay...

Juni_

I think that if he said something we don't need to limit ourselves to discuss the thing we think he's directly thinking.

I mean you can discuss it but a lot of people here are acting like he is saying that the gamepad was a mistake when he didn't

ReyVGM

I found this quite interesting; especially after the release of Star Fox Zero, and then of course, especially since this was the main driving point of the Wii U. A sign of things to come?

Source: Wired

I see it in in this way:

They can't have ANYONE complaining about the new Zelda, so they removed the Gamepad stuff to avoid any of the complaints they've been hearing since the Wii U came out.

Also, it's coming to NX and they want both games to be the same experience.

NimbusD

Yeah pretty sure they realized this almost immediately with the Wii U. Only a handful of games even support it in an interesting way outside of a menu.

Would help if the controller were more ergonomic and it used a capacitive, responsive touch screen so interacting with it didn't require pulling so much focus from the current controls.

-Horizon-

It does disrupt gameplay. Though it does depend on the game.
Splatoon was all the better for it.
I would've preferred if every game was also made for pro controller.

firelogic

I found this quite interesting; especially after the release of Star Fox Zero, and then of course, especially since this was the main driving point of the Wii U. A sign of things to come?

Source: Wired

Nintendo always abandons their system's gimmick. They abandoned the DS's second screen. They abandoned the 3D, even releasing a 2DS, and they abandoned waggle. Completely expected that they would abandon the gamepad screen. Par for the course.

I'm so glad Breath of the Wild will work with a pro controller. Finally back to a Zelda with controller gimmicks, thank God.

fwiw Twilight Princess HD and Windwaker HD both worked fine with a pro controller.

If the screen is just off while you play Breath of the Wild, with none of the useful features created for those remasters, that's kind of a bummer. If it's seriously just a cut feature to make the NX version look better that's a real fuckin shame.

Nintendo always abandons their system's gimmick. They abandoned the DS's second screen. They abandoned the 3D, even releasing a 2DS, and they abandoned waggle. Completely expected that they would abandon the gamepad screen. Par for the course.

I'm not sure if I would call keeping 2 screens in their next handheld and giving their console controller a screen abandoning the concepts the DS introduced. They did move past waggle because they managed to find a better more intuitive alternative in Gyro which they do utilize. 3D you are more or less right even if the newer models were made with improving the 3D effect in mind.

-Horizon-

Splatoon was better for the Gyro.
I much prefer having the map and stuff on a separate screen.
Especially with it showing live updates to ink placement and team positions and whatnot.
Yes, that can be shown on the tv. But that would just be a waste of space that could possibly be a blind spot for you.

aBarreras

Oh man, how did I ever play DOOM 2016 with all those weapons without a touchscreen!

i havent played doom so i dont know, sorry, i promise will play it soon

also to further my point, i dont think that you change weapons on doom as much as i change items in zelda, it is a very stupid comparison, honestly

I think so too.
I will miss that feauture a bit and specialy the off-tv option.
I liked to play in my bed >.>

Yeah, seriously, I'm more used to handheld gaming so laying down while gaming is always so much better for me. Though I'm hoping if NX has a handheld component, maybe off-tv will still be possible. It's such a neat feature, I'd hate for them to take it away entirely.

AllenShrz

Couldn't care less about backwards compatibility, leave that stinking corpse of controller with the wiiu and start a new with nx.

clem84

Gold Member
It took Nintendo 4 years to admit it.

It is, of course, easier to admit to something like this when new hardware is right around the corner.

zelas

I came to this conclusion within seconds of first using the thing. I really wish they would stop inflating the cost of their hardware to shove in features that only make sense for limited use cases.

If you are any sort of man at all, you played it on PC and used the keyboard as your touchpad like God intended.

Played and finished on both console and PC including Nightmare. Both times with a controller. Guess that makes me more of a man because I don't have to rely on as fast of a turning speed than those that use kb/m.
Besides, I don't do my gaming at a desk.

bomblord1

Banned
Splatoon was better for the Gyro.

Everything is better with a gyro
B9316327308Z.1_20150220130434_000_GATA0UV06.1-0.jpg

Spoiler: He is saying this because they needed to have a reason they stripped out all the Gamepad stuff.

If it were still there, he would be talking about how it makes a better experience.

Uh oh

ShockingAlberto being real in this thread

But people will use it to reinforce whatever they believe anyway

MADGAME

I loved playing WWHD without the clutter of the HUD items on-screen. I'll be fine without it if they design and integrate non-intrusive HUDs going forward.

Schnozberry

I enjoyed the inventory management on the gamepad screen for Wind Waker HD, but maybe I'm the only one.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this has more to do with achieving parity with the NX sans Gamepad.

Jachaos

It was great for giving us Nintendoland, Pikmin and other games that made really cool use of it so I'm happy it existed. Thing is, it was hamfisted into too many games. If its use is not going to be relevant in your game then indeed it might instead just disrupt gameplay.

tr1p1ex

He's only commenting on one usage case of the Gamepad screen. The idea of looking back and forth between the screen and the gamepad constantly aka like in Star Fox and how they rejected that control scheme for the Zelda game.

And, btw, there really hasn't been many if any other Wii U games besides Star Fox that make you look back and forth between the Gamepad and the tv. The Gamepad is mostly about off tv play or asynchronous play or touchscreen control or splitscreen.

Still, given the sales of the Wii U, I can't imagine Nintendo would go with the same idea for a controller again. Plus they have said many times the NX is a new way to play which means a different controller.

Oh and I think off-tv play was the biggest swing and miss feature of the Gamepad. When you go to sit on the couch you don't want to play a game on the tiny screen. You want to play the game on your big screen. I had many test subjects play the Wii U many a time and rarely ever saw any of them use the off-tv play feature. Mobile devices were for off-tv play. Nintendo's own 3ds was for off-tv play. No one needed or wanted off tv play for their console games especially when you had to be in front of the tv anyway. hdtvs were too plentiful and cheap too. and take up no room. No one needs to share a tv anymore so the idea junior could continue his game on the Gamepad while Mom&Dad used the tv never panned out at least in this household. I thought that feature was going to be a big selling pt when I first heard about it but in my experience these were some big macro reasons why that it was never going to happen.

Top Bottom