• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So we've reached the point where it's pretty much unquestionable that 2023 is the greatest year ever in gaming, right?

Will 2023 Be the Greatest Year Ever in Gaming?

• Yes

Votes: 92 21.6%
  • No (which year beats it?)

Votes: 333 78.4%

• Total voters

lachesis

I think it's definitely one of the best years in recent decade. The best? I think it depends on when you actually lived thru that era, as many hold nostalgia.

It may be more interesting to figure out which year is the worst ever though - other than 1983...

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Definitely up there, definitely the best in a long time.

Especially from the Diablo release up until the end of the year it just feels like flamethrower after flamethrower is coming out every other week.

Like other people have pointed out, you have to go back 10 years to start getting into competing years.

Space Marine 2, Lords of the Fallen, Helldivers 2, Aliens: Dark Descent and Total War: Pharaoh are must plays for me also and they aren't even on the list lol.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

So NMS was paradigm shifting? So shifting the paradigm has nothing to do with quality? Where are we landing this plane?

BG2 was over twenty years ago, sure you can call BG3 a sequel, and dock it for that. But that is extremely reductive and pretty pointless in this argument. It is a historically niche genre, and it hit the mainstream in a massive way that no game of that genre had done before. Seems like a paradigm shift to me.
We have different opinions on this and that’s fine. I don’t think a sequel of a game could be a paradigm shift in almost all cases. BG3 is an amazingly good game for defs. Love it to the bones but it’s not doing anything new or revolutionary. It just does existing things really, really good.

Mario 64 is a good example of a paradigm shift in gaming I’d say. Or Doom. Or maybe even games like FEAR or Red Faction in the sense that they tried to do some really fancy stuff never done before.

Also, paradigm shift doesn’t have anything to do with quality so NMS qualifies in the sense that it did 18 quintillion planets:

paradigm shift
/ˈparədʌɪmˌʃɪft/
https://www.google.com/search?sca_e...2ahUKEwitp4e5luKAAxXIYPEDHcJvDtcQ3eEDegQIGxAi

noun
  1. a fundamental change in approach or underlying assumptions.
    "geophysical evidence supporting Wegener's theory led to a rapid paradigm shift in the earth sciences"

Last edited:

Caio

Sure 2023 in an amazing year for Gamers, and other fantastic games are coming, but also 1998 was insane, for New IP and great games like Metal Gear Solid, Baldur's Gate, Half-Life, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Biohazard 2, Fallout 2, Grim Fandango, StarCraft, suikoden II, etc.

Not easy to answer, two different era, it depends so much on personal tastes, and 2023 is not finished yet.

ShadowLag

The entire gaming industry was effectively changed forever by a new release every couple of months during the years 1996 through 2007; nothing will ever top the legendary status of that entire ~11 year time span.

Last edited:
If you’re a Gen Z kid maybe.

Basically any year up until ~2018 mops the floor with this. The famous 2007. 2011. 2009. 2013. Then you go before my time to like 2001, 1998.

The fact that we think this is one of the greatest all time years says how much modern standards have plummeted

Last edited:

the_master

What the F*#?
I reeeally don't feel like this is the greatest year in gaming, by far.
I just see a list of games with a few remasters, remakes and some games I do not care too much about.
I appreciate:
- FF XVI
- Baldur's Gate III
- Zelda
- HiFi Rush
- Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

And upcoming:
- Starfield
- Armored Core VI
- Some Mario

Just not as intensely as many years ago.

For example, 2020. Because SOR4 and FF VII Remake released, I already feel it was a far greater year. because I enjoyed those 2 games way more intensely than anything released this year so far.
I am playing SOR4 again, actually.

Field

A lot of good games this year like most years. But no. Not one game so far this year is close to be considered as one of my all time favourites.

Last edited:
This is worse than saying 2023 is the greatest year ever.

If this thread proves anything it's that nostalgia glasses are even more powerful than recentcy bias.
Very unoriginal empty retort

I could set my watch to you peoples weak replies. Always the same thing.

*venerates a year/game user sees as old*
“Psh! Take off the nostalgia glasses bro” it’s so tired

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated

Be thankful you didn't get called a 'boomer' by some 18 year old who thinks that remaking a 20 year old game is somehow contributing to the quality of a year.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
For me personally hasn't been that great.

Last 4 months is pretty packed, but I don't know which games I'll really love vs. just like.

Ah yes, it's much more interesting and original to be the "everything sucks now" guy. My bad.

Carry on.

Ah yes, it's much more interesting and original to be the "everything sucks now" guy. My bad.

Carry on.
Absolutely pathetic argumentation. Textbook straw man

OP says is this THE best year in gaming EVER. To which I, and basically everyone else here has disagreed. That’s different than “everything sucks now”

Have a seat jr

Neff

It will definitely go down as one of the all-time greats, mostly as a result of the industry finally crawling out from under Covid's bottleneck and blowing its load all at once.

1998 is still the one to beat though.

Absolutely pathetic argumentation. Textbook straw man

OP says is this THE best year in gaming EVER. To which I, and basically everyone else here has disagreed. That’s different than “everything sucks now”

Have a seat jr
Dude you clearly had an axe to grind well before my first innocuous reply. And you didn't just disagree like most people. Saying that basically every year of video games up until five years ago wipes the floor with 2023 is textbook hyperbole and just stupid. What takeaway did you want me to have from that, right into:
The fact that we think this is one of the greatest all time years says how much modern standards have plummeted

So how would you like to define yourself? "Everything is worse now" Guy? Is that better?

Last edited:
Dude you clearly had an axe to grind well before my first innocuous reply. And you didn't just disagree like most people. Saying that every single year of video games up until five years ago wipes the floor with 2023 is textbook hyperbole and just stupid. What takeaway did you want me to have from that, right into:

So how would you like to define yourself? "Everything is worse now" Guy? Is that better?
You just can’t stop strawmanning here. I said “basically any year up until this rough time frame (~) mops the floor with it.” Then I cited some specific ones. This still isn’t “everything sucks now”. Nor is it “EVERY” year was better

And yeah where’s the contradiction there? Standards have fallen because this year isn’t that great compared to years of old. This does not equal “everything sucks now”. You’re doing acrobatics to fit your initial “”innocuous”” reply when you have no actual refutation or defense of your message to put forth. Time to take the L here man

Last edited:

wipeout364

Already released:
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Diablo IV
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Metroid Prime Remastered
  • Pikmin 4
  • Quake II
  • Dave the Diver
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Baldur's Gate 3
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Dead Space
I’ve highlighted the games that are sequels and remasters/remakes to show you how little innovation this year has. It’s great if you like playing the same games over again(which we all do at times).

Best year ever i don't think so, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2001 or 2008 were crazy years for example, with some of these being better than 2023.

But i really, really doubt we'll get a better year this generation, now that even tho the industry is bigger, videogames take forever to develop, specially ones like BG3 or Starfield, we might not see another Larian or Bethesda videogame this generation sadly.

It will all be about which games come the year GTA6 releases, but rumours say it could release 2024, and that year is not looking too good so far to be honest.

You just can’t stop strawmanning here. I said “basically any year up until this rough time frame (~) mops the floor with it.” Then I cited some specific ones. This still isn’t “everything sucks now”. Nor is it “EVERY” year was better

And yeah where’s the contradiction there? Standards have fallen because this year isn’t that great compared to years of old. This does equal “everything sucks now”. You’re doing acrobatics to fit your initial “”innocuous”” reply when you have no actual refutation or defense of your message to put forth. Time to take the L here man
Lol I already edited before this reply because I knew you would harp on that. Saying 'basically' every single year since video games were invented until ~2018 wipes the floor with 2023, but then only being able to name six, of those 40+ years does not make your point. I stand by 'hyperbolic and stupid'

I named you "Everything is worse now" Guy and you seem to be confirming it where have I misrepresented your thoughts.? For all your talk of straw manning and proper ways to argue, you haven't articulated any reasons why you think the way you do. Those older years just seem to be the years you cared more about gaming and there were also great releases. Which is pretty much how anyone would answer this question from their own perspective. And someone younger or newer to games could be experiencing that very thing right now, this year. But you mock the very idea.

kuncol02

Banned
it's an incredible year for sure. Especially for RPG games. Probably second only to 2000.

- Diablo II
- Baldur’s Gate II
- Final Fantasy IX
- Deus Ex...

just to name a few..
THPS2, Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, Jet Set Radio, NOLF, Crazy Taxi, Counter Strike, Thief 2, MDK2, Sacrifice, Shogun Total War, Red Alert 2, Alice, Mechwarrior 4, Icewind Dale and many many many more. That was stupidly great year.

Yes.

Played since SNES days and there has never been a better selection of games, however I'm stuck playing my games with time limited bullshit traps [Hearthstone currently]

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Man people like to be miserable but I guess that means they have "high standards" and people like me who are enjoying the game apparently have "low standards".

Fine by me, if me enjoying games instead of being miserable and complaining abut it all then I take having "low standards" any day.

I’ve highlighted the games that are sequels and remasters/remakes to show you how little innovation this year has. It’s great if you like playing the same games over again(which we all do at times).
A game 20+ years old being remade or remastered is not meant for the people who already played it. An entire generation has entered the gaming space since these games originally came out.

I'm almost 30, and got to play Metroid Prime and RE4 for the first time this year, and very glad I got the chance. I would not have done that if the new versions hadn't been released.

Lol I already edited before this reply because I knew you would harp on that. Saying 'basically' every single year since video games were invented until ~2018 wipes the floor with 2023, but then only being able to name six, of those 40+ years does not make your point. I stand by 'hyperbolic and stupid'

I named you "Everything is worse now" Guy and you seem to be confirming it where have I misrepresented your thoughts.? For all your talk of straw manning and proper ways to argue, you haven't articulated any reasons why you think the way you do. Those older years just seem to be the years you cared more about gaming and there were also great releases. Which is pretty much how anyone would answer this question from their own perspective. And someone younger or newer to games could be experiencing that very thing right now, this year. But you mock the very idea.
You have to be kidding me with this now lol. Man, I know you’ve been attended basically any grade in public school, ergo, you know good and well, that citing some examples, is not the full extent of the schema you’re extrapolating from. Jesus Christ.

That’s like saying “hey what are some of your favorite movies?” “Oh uh Dark knight, ex Machina, I liked Django” “OH! So these are all the movies you’ve ever enjoyed?” Like cmon bro get outta here you’re not even trying anymore

If you wanna continue you gotta come harder my friend

Also what are you talking about articulating my position better?

I think you need to do that my man. I just made a comment about my opinion like everyone else here and you, for some reason, jumped on it in the fashion of, “I went in there, said something he liked is just nostalgia, strawmanned what he said, and WHAM! Arkhamguy123 was nullified”

like what lol

gothmog

Gold Member
It's definitely one of the best years in quite some time, but there were times when the concept of amazing didn't even register because of the volume of good games coming out.

You have to be kidding me with this now lol. Man, I know you’ve been attended basically any grade in public school, ergo, you know good and well, that citing some examples, is not the full extent of the schema you’re extrapolating from. Jesus Christ.

That’s like saying “hey what are some of your favorite movies?” “Oh uh Dark knight, ex Machina, I liked Django” “OH! So these are all the movies you’ve ever enjoyed?” Like cmon bro get outta here you’re not even trying anymore

If you wanna continue you gotta come harder my friend
Could not have missed the point any harder if you tried. The baseline assertion you've made is ridiculous. And if you really do think that way then you are deeply rooted in a "Everything sucks much more now than before" mindset. Which is what I've been saying from the beginning.
Also what are you talking about articulating my position better?

I think you need to do that my man. I just made a comment about my opinion like everyone else here and you, for some reason, jumped on it in the fashion of, “I went in there, said something he liked is just nostalgia, strawmanned what he said, and WHAM! Arkhamguy123 was nullified”

like what lol
What indeed...

You're really not bothering to read my posts or respond to anything I'm saying since these are your takeaways. You're trying be like old guy dunking on young kid (which I am not) or something here? Unclear.

I engaged with an opinion on a message board, and it seemed to upset you greatly. I will stop now.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
A game 20+ years old being remade or remastered is not meant for the people who already played it. An entire generation has entered the gaming space since these games originally came out.

I'm almost 30, and got to play Metroid Prime and RE4 for the first time this year, and very glad I got the chance. I would not have done that if the new versions hadn't been released.
That sounds like a you problem.

You've had many many years to play both of those games - and could have done so at any time. That you can only manage to do so if it's 'remade' says a lot about how compromised and pathetic our culture has become.

Could not have missed the point any harder if you tried. The baseline assertion you've made is ridiculous. And if you really do think that way then you are deeply rooted in a "Everything sucks much more now than before" mindset. Which is what I've been saying from the beginning.

What indeed...

You're really not bothering to read my posts or respond to anything I'm saying since these are your takeaways. You're trying be like old guy dunking on young kid (which I am not) or something here? Unclear.

I engaged with an opinion on a message board, and it seemed to upset you greatly. I will stop now.
“This is not the greatest gaming year of all time, a bunch of previous years were much better” = stupid and ridiculous? Please. Also I like how you tried to sneak in “dissent/disagree with what I’m saying and you think everything does suck now” so basically agree with you and arrive at your premise or disagree and somehow still arrive at your premise. Great lol

Not upset at all. If anything just disappointed that this was such a tired and stock, just, generic thoughtless rebuttal. Seen it time and time again and it’s always just as baseless and silly. Also I’m 25 I’m not trying to dunk on anyone. I do think you completely came up short in this disagreement though

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Its an amazing year, will wait till the dust has settled to rank it though. I think alot depends on how good Starfield ends up.

But yeah, nothing will likely ever match 1998 again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom