• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So What's The GAF Consensus On 'Metro' Series

brian0057

Banned
I love them.
As a stealth fan, they're right up my alley. Especially Exodus. Like Fallout but good.
Still, I was pretty disappointed when the third game was delayed a whole year, though.

Shifty1897

I recommended them to a good friend yesterday and he messaged me today saying he played the first one all night and he adores the games. If felt great to recommend a game to someone that they totally end up loving.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I ordered the Metro Redux duology on Switch and it'll be here tomorrow.

Should I play with the lights off?

I ordered the Metro Redux duology on Switch and it'll be here tomorrow.

Should I play with the lights off?
tumblr_inline_p7ru9ocsVH1s5dibr_250.gifv

I’ve played the first two and some of three. I hate the writing. Constant hearing your characters name and foot steps. The games need to lean into letting you figure out things for yourself vs having some npc in the game (really bad in 3) constantly tell you what to do while totally erasing the fact that this character has survived two games by now. It turned me off so much I quit playing. Plus the foot step volume was irritating.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Great games. My biggest negative is that Artyom is a silent protagonist but thankfully, 4A Games already confirmed that in Metro 4, he'll be fully voiced which makes me very happy. Other than that, I would like to see 4A Games make the gameplay and combat more fluid and responsive. Other than those two negatives, no complaints and enjoyed all three games.

I hate the writing. Constant hearing your characters name and foot steps.
THANK YOU.

I would also like to add that, in one of the opening cut-scenes of Metro: Exodus, all the damn characters were talking over one another. That shit pissed me off. It's like, ONE AT A TIME, ASSHOLES!

I stopped torturing myself with the game during the train segment when it decided to stop being responsive. At that point, I concluded that the series and I are mortal enemies.

THANK YOU.

I would also like to add that, in one of the opening cut-scenes of Metro: Exodus, all the damn characters were talking over one another. That shit pissed me off. It's like, ONE AT A TIME, ASSHOLES!

I stopped torturing myself with the game during the train segment when it decided to stop being responsive. At that point, I concluded that the series and I are mortal enemies.

I made it to the train myself and there was no prompt of what you needed to do and people just kept talking. I quit after that. If I had to pick the better of them games for me it was LL but even then I was still annoyed half the time.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’m very high on the metro series, Russia is sexy, scary easily a 8/10 game series short and sweet.

Bubba77

I liked the first two but not enough to finish them. I LOVED exodus. Had to go back and get the full story first, but really enjoyed the last game.

Darkmakaimura

I'm very much enjoying this. Actually playing Last Light first and holy hell are the later levels frustrating.

This game looks amd plays great on Switch btw.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Great games. I really enjoyed Exodus and its DLC. Never finished the second one (Last Light?) for whatever reason.

Helscream

Banned
The Metro series I think has alot of charm to itself, despite its rough beginning. The Metro series above all else I think delivers an absolutely stellar atmosphere. Its so bleak and oppressive, you can really feel the message of struggle and hopelessness the developer is trying to convey to the player.

I remember reading about a Reddit Post that the Author of the Book Series "Dmitry Glukhovsky" said about the inspiration for creating the Books.

Dmitry Glukhovsky talked about how when the soviet union collapsed how everyones world (who lived in Slavic Countries like Belarus, Ukraine, Russia, etc) was literally turned upside down. There was no sense of place, order, or purpose. All the slavic manhood that died and suffered either for their country or because of it was now null and void. All these people that faithfully served or suffered the USSR was finally served their last betrayal by their government.

While the games and the books are very different in narrative focus. The Metro series does a excellent job at capturing the feeling of the average slav try to eek out an existence in a unforgiving world. That despite the bleak and hopeless setting, these people still thanklessly struggle against that hopelessness to find just a moment of resolve. I think the long train ride interludes in Metro Exodus do an amazing job at capturing the appreciation of the simple pleasantries in life.

Opinion will always vary, but I think the Metro series offers a some great slavic insight to the post apocalyptic setting.

Skifi28

The first two were great, something every fps fan needs to experience I think. But then....going open world and above ground kind of killed my hype. Perhaps an open world game that stayed below ground would have been better. I haven't finished exodus yet so I can't comment on the game as a whole, but I think the previous 2 were much better.

Fbh

Metro 2033: Has cool ideas but is ultimately really janky and rather rough around the edges. Overall still enjoyable
Metro Last Light: Is the best one IMO, builds upon what the first did but in a more polished way.
Metro Exodus: Fun game with nice visuals and the best gunplay in the franchise. But IMO in going open world and going to the surface it lost a lot of that what made it unique. Felt more like some sort of fallout Spinoff than metro.

Also I'd recommend reading the first book. It's a fun read and it makes playing through the first game more enjoyable since you'll know more about the locations and characters than the game really shows (the game is just a very basic retelling with several changes to include more action)

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I tried the first two games separately and wasn't able to get into them. The gunplay felt...off to me, at the time anyway. It's been awhile. Never tried again.

When Exodus hit PC Game Pass I hopped on it and loved it. Great game. Visually impressive, good mission pacing. Really enjoyed it.
I almost felt the opposite. I loved the first 2, but couldn't really get into the 3rd. I think I tend to venture too far off the beaten path too early in games like this, so I basically am always out of bullets and frustrated. May try it again since I now have an RTX card.

I haven't even played any of them long enough to get to the first encounter for some reason.

So that make me the foremost expert, and I don't like them that much, I can't even tell you why.

All great games. Exodus I feel is the pinnacle of open-world "immersive sims" right next to maybe Prey(or Dishonored 2).

I've enjoyed them all. They are thick with atmosphere and every title release is a graphical showcase for it's time of release. I really loved Exodus the most. It's what I loved about all the games in series previous, but with a huge, interesting setting. Exodus on Ranger/Hard difficulties is the best way to play it, you don't get to roam around the world as the Uber-bad-ass like you can in other open-world shooters, ammo management and equipment become way more important than on lower difficulty levels. I'd wager the people that don't like Exodus either played it on Easy/Medium difficulty or didn't understand that it's not a "shooter" like a traditional shooter. Great series.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

I think I actually like 2033 better than Last Light btw.

Either way they're both great.

Is Exodus really more of an open world? I'd imagine all the surface exploration would be a hassle with changing gas mask filters and all.

Ngl this series is frustrating as fuck. The Nosalies are a fucking pain but I really am digging this series so far.

I'm surprised how "un-diverse" these games are. It's all white Russians. No blacks or other minorities, etc. I'm surprised a western game can get away with it nowadays.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I dont like it, its a mediocre game for me. 2/5. The first one is the best but its still didnt deliver. It has similar style to Fallout and Stalker and both i like better than Metro.

Good parts are: Immersion, Setting.
Average parts: Story and Characters
Bad parts: Gameplay, Sounds, Visuals

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

I dont like it, its a mediocre game for me. 2/5. The first one is the best but its still didnt deliver. It has similar style to Fallout and Stalker and both i like better than Metro.

Good parts are: Immersion, Setting.
Average parts: Story and Characters
Bad parts: Gameplay, Sounds, Visuals
Sounds are great. I agree gunplay isn't the best. It's very frustrating at times and unfair.

Characters are not the best I agree on too. Almost every male character seems to have thr same personality. Then again most Russians I know are pretty stereotypically chad dudebro types aa well as Slavs

Can't comment too much on story since I'm just delving in. I don't understand if Dark Ones are supposed to be mutated humans, beings that have lived underground throughout human history that we just found out about or extradimensional beings. Maybe someone can elaborate here via Spoiler tags?

Edir: not knocking on Russians or Slavs especially consodering my grandparents were from a shtetl in Ukraine/Moldova.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
First one was pretty good. I played it once through and don't remember too much about it.

Last Light was great. Played it several times through and it was one of my favorite shooters for that generation.

Exodus was bad. It was also a buggy mess with some of the worst AI I've seen in an FPS.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I didn’t get the free LL because I don’t check my emails lately, but I’m not fussed because 2033 bored me and I quit playing. I didn’t get very far at all, either. I can’t give specifics, I just remember wanting to like it and really not enjoying it. IIRC it felt like a PS3 title in the worst way.

Mr Moose

I played the Redux versions, they were pretty OK. Might get the newest one if I spot it on sale and have nothing to play.

Gravemind

Played every game through gamepass in the spring. It was an amazing experience. One of my favourite game series.

MrS

Banned
The games are bang average. Exodus was really a bad experience at launch. They fucked it up.

Darkmakaimura

So I'm adding Metro 2033 and Last Light as one of new favorite FPS IPs.

Really enjoying it despite the frustration.

I gotta say I LOVE how well the supernatural elements are handled. They legitimately feel mysterious and creepy. There is straight up and out Coast to Coast AM/Skinwalker Ranch elements here.

My sincere compliments to Dmitry Glukhovsky and Ukrainian developers 4A Games.

Keep this shit rocking, my fellow Slavs.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

They're great but do not make the mistake of playing them with the English voices - the Russian voices add a lot to the atmosphere.
I have a friend who's a Russophile who I'm trying to get into the game. I told him you have the option of Russian voiceovers. Right now he's fixated with Control.

Last edited:

Warablo

I've stopped playing this game twice on PC and Xbox, like right before the last area and end.

I think its a decent game. The closest thing to a Stalker Sequel we will get. Not sure if Stalker II will even beat it.

Last edited:
They exist but are entirely forgettable and the enemy AI is incredibly awful. I fought the final "boss" in Exodus by standing slightly outside the arena and it just couldn't figure out what happened to me so it just sat there while I unloaded my ammo into it.

If you do go ahead and play them don't start talking to the NPCs. They never shut up.

RNG

An okay series with clunky gameplay at times. I thought 1 and 2 were alright, but I hated Exodus and its pointless open world.

sxodan

If I had to describe the series by using only one word I would use CLUNKY.

Last Light is my personal favourite but Exodus is also nice. The series is good, above average but nothing really special.

Top Bottom