• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Wii U and PS3 prices are at near parity in Japan...

The NSMBU - MHTriG HD - Dragon Quest X HD β launch trifecta is insane. I don't think any Nintendo system has launched this aggresively in Japan before.

Its not really all that big of a deal to launch with two ports. If they were both exclusive to the WiiU it would be a big deal but, since they are not its not that big of a deal. NSMBU is the real big deal to have that game at launch is huge.

pramath

Banned
Its not really all that big of a deal to launch with two ports. If they were both exclusive to the WiiU it would be a big deal but, since they are not its not that big of a deal. NSMBU is the real big deal to have that game at launch is huge.

I think having all 3 titles at once on the Wii U at launch (and the fact the Wii U offers a tablet, competitive price and HD graphics), will have an exponential effect - likely leading to Nintendo taking over the core and casual console market in Japan... small as it currently is.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I am kind of surprised with Sony doing a price increase. I considered the WiiU overly expensive, but I was expecting a decent Sony price drop. They're still both fairly over priced considering you can get a 360 for $199, but Sony might have just sold me on the WiiU.

I think Nintendo wins this Holiday in Japan.

lCkJo.png

Yeah, GG, time to pack it up. The PS3 is going to get crushed this year in Japan.

VariantX

Doesn't matter even if they are priced near each other. One's new and the other's not. Most people who wanted the old one probably have it by now since its been on the market forever.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Taken individually maybe, but having 2D Mario and Monster Hunter at launch with the promise of Dragon Quest soon to follow is pretty significant IMO.

I would also add that I don't think it is quite fair to call MH 3G HD just a port. This isn't like porting from DS to 3DS or Wii to Wii U-it is another way to play the game (on the TV, online), and is the true followup to Wii's biggest 3rd party succcess.

I get to transfer my TriG data to the HD version and finally play online, that's pretty enticing to me. It actually got me to start playing TriG again, and I'm probably not alone. Dragon Quest X not looking like ass is very alluring as well.

fake edit: ↑ "fad" lol

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Already starting the "just a fad" damage control? Jeez.

Not a fad, but the latest toy that just came out is always going to sell buckets, no matter how good or bad. So why should Sony even try? Nintendo could sell a box of crap and unload 500,000 easy. Sony is just riding out the rest of the gen. Where is the 360 response to the Wii U?!!! Ya, same thing, they don't care either. Next year with new consoles the race will officially start.

Not a fad, but the latest toy that just came out is always going to sell buckets, no matter how good or bad. So why should Sony even try? Nintendo could sell a box of crap and unload 500,000 easy. Sony is just riding out the rest of the gen. Where is the 360 response to the Wii U?!!! Ya, same thing, they don't care either. Next year with new consoles the race will officially start.

The Vita exists.

beje

Banned

Protip: all consoles ARE, in fact, toys. Yes, you are treating toys as serious bussiness in an internet forum about toys. Now re-read your post and realise how ridiculous you sound.

are you on something? lol

PS3 came after PS2 and it 'struggled several years' to make profit, it hasn't even caught up with Wii in Japan, and almost surely never will.

Now unless you imagine PS4 being priced the same as PS3, it will be coming after a barely alive PS3, a heavily damaged Playstation brand compared to the last gen, and a Nintendo that has secured almost all important IPs in Japan.

They actually don't need to worry though, basically there is almost nothing Sony can do to save Playstation brand in Japan, excluding miracles or several thunderstrikes

I get to transfer my TriG data to the HD version and finally play online, that's pretty enticing to me. It actually got me to start playing TriG again, and I'm probably not alone. Dragon Quest X not looking like ass is very alluring as well.
l

Thats your opinion but, given recent history both dragon quest and monster hunter sell way better on handhelds than consoles. Which is something that can not be denied. They would both be a big deal if they were gonna be exclusive to the WiiU but, they are not.

This is not the same as the 3ds situation where all three games where brand new and exclusive to the 3ds.

The Vita exists.

I don't think Nintendo is going to send their console out there to die like Sony did with the Vita. Even if Sony had a sizable price drop, the WiiU would still do well in Japan at minimum, especially since they appear to have a good range of titles that will appeal heavily to the market. The PS3 will be fine in Japan this holiday season too of course. There's a small price hike, and it's got new competition, but their broad range of titles and re-design will help keep them afloat for the mean time.

thats you opinion but, given recent history both dragon quest and monster hunter sell way better on handhelds than consoles. Which is something that can not be denied. They would both be a big deal if they were gonna be exclusive to the WiiU but, they are not.

This is not the same as the 3ds situation where all three games where brand new and exclusive to the 3ds.
The thing is, handheld sell much more compared to consoles in general.

Although Tri G Unlimited << Tri G, but of course it will be surprising if even PS4+WiiU sell nearly as much as 3DS; so although it has a smaller impact, but the grounds are smaller as well and relatively it'll have a

I don't think Nintendo is going to send their console out there to die like Sony did with the Vita. Even if Sony had a sizable price drop, the WiiU would still do well in Japan at minimum, especially since they appear to have a good range of titles that will appeal heavily to the market. The PS3 will be fine in Japan this holiday season too of course. There's a small price hike, and it's got new competition, but their broad range of titles and re-design will help keep them afloat for the mean time.

This is all good and well, but I was merely correcting AgentP on his nonsense assertion.

The Vita exists.

I was gonna say...

"Nintendo is going to sell out anyway, we're happy scraping by until next year" isn't a business plan. At least not one that should be acceptable for a corporation the size of Sony. Look at how aggressively Samsung has positioned themselves against Apple this year.

The thing is, the 360 and Wii have been dead or dying for a while in Japan already, and Sony has done nothing to capitalize on that gaping vacuum except meagerly push for a few cross-platform Vita titles. If the PS3 is your focus right now, your big gun, they should act like it. The PS2 was $129 by mid-2006, that's why (on top of the expansive library) it outsold the 360 the first year it was on the market.

Sony and MS are attempting to maintain premium price points in the face of new hardware, this has never been attempted before, and I can't for the life of me think of how we can enter a Christmas season with no console targeting the budget market except for the Wii.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
walking fiend said:
PS3 came after PS2 and it 'struggled several years' to make profit, it hasn't even caught up with Wii in Japan, and almost surely never will.

You make it sound like matching Wii's sales is an easy thing! Hell has MS even caught up with Wii in NA yet despite 360 dominating sales there for the last couple of years!

The real question is whether WiiU will do anywhere close to what its predecessor did, or will it fall into line with GameCube/N64 performance. i.e. Moderate to poor compared with the market leader.

The reality is that Wii burned-out pretty fast, so its not like they have much momentum in the console space anymore. Nintendo's handhelds have always been their bread and butter, so 3DS success shouldn't be considered that indicative of WiiU's prospects.

More than anything else though, this new SKU gives Sony headroom to lower price if they feel they need to, such as when they themselves are launching a new flagship product.

thats you opinion but, given recent history both dragon quest and monster hunter sell way better on handhelds than consoles. Which is something that can not be denied. They would both be a big deal if they were gonna be exclusive to the WiiU but, they are not.

DQIX sold so many copies because you only get 1 save slot per cart. Many families bought multiple copies for each playing member. DQ was always a huge seller on home consoles. Monster Hunter TriG HD offers online, so it has that over the 3DS version. Also, no one has claimed that those games have to sell more than their handheld counterparts to be considered successful.

DQIX sold so many copies because you only get 1 save slot per cart. Many families bought multiple copies for each playing member. DQ was always a huge seller on home consoles. Monster Hunter TriG HD offers online, so it has that over the 3DS version. Also, no one has claimed that those games have to sell more than their handheld counterparts to be considered successful.

Your making excuses for why the games are a big deal on WiiU when they are not. Its like Namco porting God Eater 2 to the Vita. its nice that they are porting it to the Vita as well but, its not a big deal because the psp version will likely be the bigger deal of the two.

Your making excuses for why the games are a big deal on WiiU when they are not. Its like Namco porting God Eater 2 to the Vita. its nice that they are porting it to the Vita as well but, its not a big deal because the psp version will likely be the bigger deal of the two.

Okay, let me get this straight. You are stating that Dragon Quest X HD and Monster Hunter TriG HD are not a big deal on Wii U, am I correct? Then you cite God Eater 2's Vita version's selling potential to support your argument, am I correct? Please map out your reasoning.

Poyunch

The fact that every premium model comes with a beta to DQX HD and a premium launch bundle that comes with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate means a lot. That's a double whammy.

apana

Sony seems to be in a tough spot. They can't substantially drop the price of the PS3, they can't drop the price of the Vita, and they probably won't be able to take a major loss on the PS4.

Duxxy3

Sony seems to be in a tough spot. They can't substantially drop the price of the PS3, they can't drop the price of the Vita, and they probably won't be able to take a major loss on the PS4.

If ya can't stand the heat... something something.

You make it sound like matching Wii's sales is an easy thing! Hell has MS even caught up with Wii in NA yet despite 360 dominating sales there for the last couple of years!

Before MS's next system is released they will have outsold the Wii in NA. Not that it means anything.

AniHawk

by selling more systems. and therefore peripherals and games and other high margin items.

they could have also taken this opportunity to market this as a budget version and gotten rid of the hdd entirely, replacing it with flash storage. they then could have sold other storage stuff separately, because at this point in a generation, that's what you kinda do.

Probably stated many times already, but there will be a price drop before Wii U launches.

My assumption is that Sony wanted to unveil these at the last conference but couldn't do to high stock of remaining consoles. They then were forced to do it now at TGS, but there are still too many old consoles in the pipeline so a price cut now would be too costly.

In October, probably near when the last bundle comes out, we'll get a price drop along side the 12GB model in NA/Japan. Then the last of the current stock will be low or gone and it will make financial sense for Sony to do so as a last minute measure to create buzz in front of Wii U.

Then we'll likely have the price points rumored awhile back for the three skus.

jerd

Can't wait to see Uncharted and Little Big Planet on Wii U har har har

ami doin it right?

At first I thought Sony was a little crazy here but it makes sense to me. Sony is probably better off weathering the storm of the Wii U launch and then cutting price next year. They may also be planning a substantial price cut to the PS3 closer to the announcement and launch of the PS4.

StevieP

Banned
Sony and MS are attempting to maintain premium price points in the face of new hardware, this has never been attempted before, and I can't for the life of me think of how we can enter a Christmas season with no console targeting the budget market except for the Wii.

It's not a "premium" price point if it's very difficult to make it go any lower. There are a multitude of reasons why the prices are the way they are, not the least of which involves the hardware which can't really be made much cheaper/smaller as in previous generations.

The reality is that Wii burned-out pretty fast

That certainly didn't happen in this part of the multiverse.

Alchemy

Because the hardware of the PS3 is poorly scalable and didn't become significantly cheaper over time fast enough. The new PS3 model is also likely to be turning a profit on each unit sold.

And Sony is packing it in, they don't want to compete with total sales anymore. They just want a slow trickle of money from selling PS3s while they gear up for the PS4, placing the burden on a few 2013 exclusives to get them through the year.

This is what happens when you use a fucking backwards as hell hardware architecture because your console developers get off on poking new combinations of silicon.

At first I thought Sony was a little crazy here but it makes sense to me. Sony is probably better off weathering the storm of the Wii U launch and then cutting price next year. They may also be planning a substantial price cut to the PS3 closer to the announcement and launch of the PS4.

Wouldn't that run the risk of killing what little momentum the PS3 currently has? With a price cut now, they may be able to convince developers to continue making games for some time longer, but if their year-on-year sales drop precipitously due to sticking to the same price (and due to the new competition), we could see support drop off well before they're ready to bring out their next system, and they can't really have that currently.

Granted, this is at odds with the notion that dropping prices could put them even further into the red than they are now, and that puts them in a terrible business position.

if the likes of squidyjg and others are frothing like lunatics before launch, I can't wait to see their reactions when the first sales figures come out. This is going to be hilarious.

If the Vita is a "toy" explain why I'm not embarrassed to play it during flights.

The Vita is a toy because its a handheld videogame console.

EVERY console is a toy! Wii is a toy. 360 is a toy. PS3 is a toy.

Wii U will be a toy. 720 will be a toy. PS4 will be a toy

Get used to it. You´re playing with a toy just like all of us.

It dosen´t matter wich brand. Every Videogame console is a toy!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Your penis isn't a toy either. Are you saying you wouldn't be embarrassed to play with that during a flight?

You're getting a lot more with a PS3 for that price though... much larger library of cheaper games, more storage, DVD and Blu-Ray playback, and they are both pretty close as far as power is concerned. Sony has nothing to worry about regarding Nintendo's price, if anything the Wii U is the console that needs to be cheaper, new or not.

Top Bottom