• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Wii U and PS3 prices are at near parity in Japan...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I thought it was already established you only buy systems to be able to troll them dcharlie.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I thought it was already established you only buy systems to be able to troll them dcharlie.

that's why i buy them all Andrex, that's why i buy them all.

you should see my party piece where i slag off the M2! ;)

saichi

With all of the money that Sony lost on the PS3, they have every right to ensure that they charge enough to turn a decent profit on the new ultra slim model.

As long as the product sells, then I don't see what the problem is. They have to convince investors that this sort of business model is still potentially very profitable. I don't think Sony is all that concerned about not selling a ton of hardware alongside the Wii U. I don't expect a PS2/PSP like situation with the PS3, where it outsells its successor for a long while, simply because the PS3 was not as successful as those two products.

Since you are talking about investors, Sony does have a target for PS3 sold for this FY. Certainly they can revise down that target when maximizing the profit per unit but not sure how their investor will feel about it.

You're right 3ds flat out sucks to play. I want to love it however everytime I play it for 5 minutes I can feel the carpal tunnel developing. The 3ds design is so shit that they made a xl update mighty quick. Still no 2nd analog stick WTF! Vita is a beast this situation is straight out of the twilight zone. No surprise really, Psp was way better than the Ds & look how that turned out.

Oh my God no fucking way.

My sarcasm detector was destroyed by this thread and I can't tell anymore.

Because they are more concerned about the profit margin per unit sold than how many units they sell overall? I doubt that Sony is trying to amass a PS2 or even a PSP sized install base in Japan at this point. It's far too late for that so why even try with a cheaper console that won't even turn a profit?

Reducing the price in one way to make a profit. How are they going to make a profit if their console just sit on the shelf? We're not talking about reducing it to the point it's sold at loss but little money is better than nothing. Also there is a significance for Sony to continue maximizing PS3 user base. There is one thing that Sony is still far better than Nintendo: PSN. By getting people on board PSN, those people will likely stick to the service they already have when the PS4 comes out instead of jumping to WiiU, especially when they have many friends on their friend list. That is the reason why 360 doing so well in US.

You know it wasn't long ago that many people on GAF thought glasses free 3D would be a game changer. As it turned out, nobody really gives a shit about 3D in the first place. For some reason Nintendo and its fans were oblivious to that.

Just pointing out that nintendo's various gimmicks aren't foolproof. I don't see a screen on a controller being the ace in the deck. I see it as merely another bullet point. If wii u catches fire, it will be for other reasons.
Glasses free 3D is truly a gimmick though. Outside of a few people who say the 3D effect helps with SML3D, is there really any gameplay application for the 3D effect? I mean, the fact that the 3D effect is optional means nobody is going to create a game completely around it.

The Gamepad isn't going to be in the same ballpark if developers continue to make games with good uses for it (i.e. not just to have a map on the second screen a la certain early DS games). Whether those applications for the Gamepad will catch on with the mainstream public is another question.

and how am i looking at the Wii U?! I'm buying one day one -twice- (US/JPN) at this point in time.

My analysis above is basically the price being the same means nothing to the Wii U. People who are going to buy the Wii U aren't going to care that the PS3 is the same price. It doesn't mean anything to them. At all.

Nintendo has Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Tekken, Ninja Gaiden, Platinum Games' support, Fist of the North Star, and you think they aren't competing for the same Japanese gamers as Sony? It's not 2005 anymore. The Vita should ring alarm bells at Sony HQ that Nintendo is quite capable of taking Sony's marketshare.

I can't believe there are still people (old enough to type) that believe that most people only own one console.

Most people only own one console.

NeoUltima

I'm curious about how "traditional" that model is. Nintendo can barely be said to have done it with the GameCube, though they did have to step in there with the 3DS and might with the Wii U. This generation and last generation Microsoft and Sony did it, but did Sega do it in most of their generations? Was it done for the PSX or the Neo Geo or the 3DO or the TurboGrafx?

I'm genuinely curious. These days, people in gaming circles seem to use the term "traditional" to mean "stuff that started recently". I'd like to know if this was considered normal practice (outside of Nintendo) universally or if it's more something that was used the last two gens but less so previously.

It would have to be normal practice in a competitive environment. Competitors will adjust prices to capture the software market. The more competition there is, the more apparent and aggressive the practice becomes, even resorting to selling hardware at a loss if needed.

And I would definitively say the Gamecube tried to followed the model. It hit long $99 before the other two. Did the model work out for Nintendo? Not really. Thus Wii was born.

I don't know in which world you live, in mine lots of gamers have a wii + a PS3/x360. You make it sound like it's two totally seperate demographics.
Casuals probably only bought a wii (and perhaps Kinect). Most gamers who bought a wii also got another console.

I don't think gamers will look at Wii U like you do for long. I believe Nintendo has a hit in their hands, at the very least a perfect 2nd console.
In your "world", I'm curious, what percentage of the 95 million Wii owners also own a 360 or PS3? Or conversely how many of the 130-odd million PS3/360 owners also own a Wii?

As a subset, how many of the former purchased a 360 with Kinect as essentially an HD Wii replacement and are these casuals you refer to?

Based on demographic data, I imagine the overlap is smaller than your world would suggest.

Socreges

Banned
Isn't it possible that they'll try this price for a couple months to capitalize on those willing to pay, and then drop it substantially in two months to undercut the WiiU and be more competitive? Or maybe they see no overlap in the markets/consumer bases.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Nintendo has Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Tekken, Ninja Gaiden, Platinum Games' support, Fist of the North Star, and you think they aren't competing for the same Japanese gamers as Sony? It's not 2005 anymore. The Vita should ring alarm bells at Sony HQ that Nintendo is quite capable of taking Sony's marketshare.

I think you are confusing the point : The point is that people who own a PS3 and wanted one -have- one already, the number sitting on the fence and don't have one were doing so probably because the games on the PS3 weren't of interest (or the price hasn't dropped)

So a new PS3 model with no significant price drop coupled with at least my belief that NOT EVERYONE who owned a Wii has upgraded means very little in the grand scheme of things. I agree with what you are posting : you've listed two franchises of universal appeal and then a few that will drag in more users. It's all good for Nintendo : the people they will likely appeal to are - in the main - Wii owners who did not upgrade -and- PS3 owners who are looking for something more.

To whit: a PS3 redesign with no price cut or any significant difference going against a new machine with all the above points considered means largely nothing to Nintendo: the Wii U being the same price as the PS3 is largely a nothing.

I expected Sony (And MS - still waiting) to be much more aggressive price wise. The fact PS3 prices match Wii U i think is a possitive point for Nintendo, not for Sony and helps accent the "value" of the Wii U regardless of what anyone thinks of the Wii U price point.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think you are confusing the point : The point is that people who own a PS3 and wanted one -have- one already, the number sitting on the fence and don't have one were doing so probably because the games on the PS3 weren't of interest (or the price hasn't dropped)

So a new PS3 model with no significant price drop coupled with at least my belief that NOT EVERYONE who owned a Wii has upgraded means very little in the grand scheme of things. I agree with what you are posting : you've listed two franchises of universal appeal and then a few that will drag in more users. It's all good for Nintendo : the people they will likely appeal to are - in the main - Wii owners who did not upgrade -and- PS3 owners who are looking for something more.

To whit: a PS3 redesign with no price cut or any significant difference going against a new machine with all the above points considered means largely nothing to Nintendo: the Wii U being the same price as the PS3 is largely a nothing.

I expected Sony (And MS - still waiting) to be much more aggressive price wise. The fact PS3 prices match Wii U i think is a possitive point for Nintendo, not for Sony and helps accent the "value" of the Wii U regardless of what anyone thinks of the Wii U price point.

Really though Sony shouldn't even be happy with the market share it has in Japan, it's not even all that large, in comparison to all released consoles/handhelds. The wii u will most probably establish itself pretty firmly in Japan and I can't really see it losing to PS4 if the PS4 comes in with a much higher price point which is likely. Japanese developers aren't all the that quick to jump to new hardware as this generation taught us, the Nintendo has already mostly removed the stigma of the Playstation brand holding more mature games as shown by the 3DS cannabilising the PSP market share. Basically the PS4 has no real advantage coming from the PS3, it's an uphill battle.

Either way Sony gotta a lot of work to do to save itself in Japan, and I don't think aiding Wii U to establish itself is going to help that, even if profit is their main priority after the years of loss.

-Everything happens for a reason.

Famitsu Top 30 (Feb 21,2011 - Sep 16,2012) **
Software Sales - Third Party

PS3 11,726,742
PSP 11,305,513
3DS 7,039,383
PSV 811,002

**Since the 3DS launched

-The japanese industry is several years behind the curve.There's no room for PS4 over there until the second half of the decade,so the PS3 will have a 9 million head start on Wii U.To top it off ,the Sony guys can cut prices whenever they want.Basically,the Wii U can't compete with the PS3 in the software market.
Comg - September 21

1. [PS3] Resident Evil 6 - 688pt
2. [PSP] SD Gundam G Generation World Over - 293pt
3. [PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 (Limited Edition) - 229pt
4. [PS3] 2nd Super Robot Taisen OG - 143pt
5. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 - 102pt
6. [PS3] Final Fantasy Versus XIII - 101Pt

7. [3DS] Project X Zone - 62pt
8. [PSP] Summon Night 4 - 57pt
9. [PSP] AKB1/153 Love Election – 56 pt
10. [PS3] Dead Or Alive 5 (Limited Edition) - 42pt
11. [PSP] W Troopers Cardboard – 32 pt
12. [PSP] Summon Night 4 - 30pt
13. [3DS] Girls Mode - 29pt
14. [PSP] Sol Trigger - 29pt
15. [PS3] Metal Gear Rising - 29 pt
16. [PS3]Shin Sangoku Musou Empires 6 - 28 pt
17. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops U (Subtitled) - 26pt
18. [3DS] Bravely Default - 26pt
19. [PSP] Fate / Extea CCC Type Moon Virgin White Box (Limited Edition) - 26pt
20. [PS3] Dead or Alive 5 Collector's Edition - 25pt

PS3 - 1,413 pt
PSP - 523 pt
3DS - 117 pt

-While MH/DQ ports will get mediocre sales,MGS,FF,RE,Yakuza and KH are coming to the PS3,therefore Wii U will rely mainly on 1st-party games.Unfortunately,the Wii Sports/Play/Fit era is finished,and Mario popularity is declining.

Famitsu (After 8 Weeks)
New Super Mario Bros (NDS) 2,202,654

New Super Marios Bros (Wii) 3,208,266

New Super Mario Bros 2(3DS) 1,136,082

Famitsu (Week 8)
New Super Mario Bros (NDS) 120,220

New Super Marios Bros (Wii) 89,809

New Super Mario Bros 2(3DS) 31,582

-The PS3 will outsell the other consoles in FY12 at current price points.Sony's console will also outsell the Wii U in the second half of FY12.However,the PS3 can't meet sales forecast without a price cut,so I think Sony has made a big mistake in this regard.

Code:
Wii Worldwide Unit Sales (Unit:Million)

Hardware       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2006/07       -        -      3.19     2.65      5.84     5.84

PS3 Worldwide Unit Sales (Unit: Million)

Hardware       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 20011/12       -        -      6.5      1.9       8.4     8.4

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
-While MH/DQ ports will get mediocre sales,MGS,FF,RE,Yakuza and KH are coming to the PS3,therefore Wii U will rely mainly on 1st-party games.Unfortunately,the Wii Sports/Play/Fit era is finished,and Mario popularity is declining.

I don't mean to be flippant, but is this a serious statement?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Glasses free 3D is truly a gimmick though. Outside of a few people who say the 3D effect helps with SML3D, is there really any gameplay application for the 3D effect? I mean, the fact that the 3D effect is optional means nobody is going to create a game completely around it.

The Gamepad isn't going to be in the same ballpark if developers continue to make games with good uses for it (i.e. not just to have a map on the second screen a la certain early DS games). Whether those applications for the Gamepad will catch on with the mainstream public is another question.

As important IMO will be what Nintendo does with the gamepad when you aren't playing games. If it can quickly be picked up to check your email, update your Facebook or browse the web, then it can become a decent alternative to a tablet, as well as enabling a bunch of games.

Top Bottom