• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Social media is dumb

Phase

That's why I've eliminated most social media from my life. Deleted FB years ago, no more insta, snapchat, twitter. Only forums and specific sites. Life feels more focused, and I waste far less time.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s beauty in everything and than there’s social media the next thing closest to hell lol

Youre not wrong motherfucker. Youre not wrong.

I will say that social media was better before it became about influencers/monetizing/etc.

Still terrible though in general. Ive stopped posting on insta, have a completely blank fb accnt, and thats about it. Oh i have a linkedin but that depresses me even more now because its just full of one uppers posting their “best selves” but of the career life.

Last edited:
Social media is not dumb inherently, but it is primarily used dumbly (dumbly? dumbly) by most people. It's grown darker and more toxic after smart phone adoption became more widely popular, to say nothing of the intentional psy-op and PR campaigns going on non-stop for your attention and your opinion.

The internet is a super weapon and we're barely scratching the surface. The level of information, communication, learning, unlearning, and wrong-learning is unprecedented, unimaginable potential. We under appreciate how much and how rapidly our lexicon and awareness of media or social issues or so many things have evolved in the last 10 years. There's a level of cultural whiplash as a result, and a bizarre kind of doubling down on ignorance as a virtue in response.

Social media is reflective of the society making the media. We live in a very dumb civilization of brainwashed dreamers. Every person thinks they are right and special in their own way, secretly, and every person subscribes to some bizarre magical thinking belief system they inherited from someone close. It's all intentional and by design. Public Relations is an American invention.

Corporations trying to sound like people, and people trying to sound like corporations.

American propaganda is a hell of a drug. Consider all of the ways you're subjected to brainwashing as a kid. Before you know how to wipe your own ass, you already know that police are good, and they help and protect you, they're friendly like puppies.

We're never wrong, we only become more right. "Wrong" is equated with moral failure when it should just be 'learning'. You literally will never hear anyone on this forum willingly offer "oh you know what I was wrong." Or anywhere. Maybe a few examples; anyone still reading this is probably most likely to already experience and practice this more than most. And even then I'm sure it's still a very low number.

The clever trick is that we are all individually convinced we're far too clever to ever be tricked.

Social media is not dumb inherently, but it is primarily used dumbly (dumbly? dumbly) by most people. It's grown darker and more toxic after smart phone adoption became more widely popular, to say nothing of the intentional psy-op and PR campaigns going on non-stop for your attention and your opinion.

The internet is a super weapon and we're barely scratching the surface. The level of information, communication, learning, unlearning, and wrong-learning is unprecedented, unimaginable potential. We under appreciate how much and how rapidly our lexicon and awareness of media or social issues or so many things have evolved in the last 10 years. There's a level of cultural whiplash as a result, and a bizarre kind of doubling down on ignorance as a virtue in response.

Social media is reflective of the society making the media. We live in a very dumb civilization of brainwashed dreamers. Every person thinks they are right and special in their own way, secretly, and every person subscribes to some bizarre magical thinking belief system they inherited from someone close. It's all intentional and by design. Public Relations is an American invention.

Corporations trying to sound like people, and people trying to sound like corporations.

American propaganda is a hell of a drug. Consider all of the ways you're subjected to brainwashing as a kid. Before you know how to wipe your own ass, you already know that police are good, and they help and protect you, they're friendly like puppies.

We're never wrong, we only become more right. "Wrong" is equated with moral failure when it should just be 'learning'. You literally will never hear anyone on this forum willingly offer "oh you know what I was wrong." Or anywhere. Maybe a few examples; anyone still reading this is probably most likely to already experience and practice this more than most. And even then I'm sure it's still a very low number.

The clever trick is that we are all individually convinced we're far too clever to ever be tricked.
Sounds like the AI speech in MGS2!

KielCasto

I don’t understand why anyone would want constant attention to themselves. I’d rather use my time for other hobbies than making my life seem perfect online.
But social media used to be so good imo. There were stupid games on Facebook. People legitimately were reconnecting with old friends. Then the novelty wore off and people are as bad online as they are in real life.

I've got Facebook, I only add losers as friends.
I don’t understand why anyone would want constant attention to themselves. I’d rather use my time for other hobbies than making my life seem perfect online.
But social media used to be so good imo. There were stupid games on Facebook. People legitimately were reconnecting with old friends. Then the novelty wore off and people are as bad online as they are in real life.

Social media for the large part is for people without hobbies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom