• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Social Media Survey from Nintendo of America.

Pyrrhus

Well, I did my part and spit into the wind. For all the good it will do. They don't give a shit what old farts have to say about anything.

Shadoron

I did my part. Also those frustrating parts of long surveys:

Haha, I ended up doing similar on both of the parts you listed. The Amiibo list was severely lacking in content.

I did sneak in a jab about the sorry state of Chibi Robo and the Paper Mario Series... not that anyone at Nintendo will ever read the actual comments we wrote.

Eila

Everyone who disliked the infamous Treehouse doge meme should probably check no memes if it bothered you.

Sometimes if done right they aren't cringeworthy though. "This is SPARDA" from Ace Attorney was clever in the context it was used.

This wasn't really about localizations, it was more of the memes they put on twitter sometimes.
But perhaps if people tell them they're lame they'll stop putting them in games. Use your textboxes wisely.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Copied my E3-expectation answer:

Complete NX-reveal
Zelda Wii U/NX
Metroid Prime 4
F-Zero GX
Smash 4 NX Edition
Pikmin 4
Bayonetta 3
New Sega-collaborations (Yakuza, Sonic, classic IP)
Dragon Quest XI NX, Final Fantasy XV NX, Final Fantasy VII NX, Kingdom Hearts 3 NX
Several Namco-games (Tekken, Tales of, Ace Combat etc) for NX
Capcom, Konami, Atlus, Level 5 etc all annoucing games for NX.
Several indie-colaborations
Shenmue 3 NX
Sakagauchis new game NX (Last Story 2)
Nintendo awesomness.

They can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that I use YouTube sometimes but don't bother with channels or "personalities"

They're still making me answer questions about them.

Edit: I bailed. They were on the verge of asking me for a fucking stool sample.

oP3e8Ao.png

I'm trying to imagine what it must be like for the guy whose job it is to read these things and make something useful out of them.

Vibranium

Banned
This wasn't really about localizations, it was more of the memes they put on twitter sometimes.
But perhaps if people tell them they're lame they'll stop putting them in games. Use your textboxes wisely.

Well yeah, maybe their meme usage on Tumblr leaked into the Treehouse. Hopefully enough people tell them to quit it.

Also, I went in on all the lame Youtube personalities there. I only watch smaller let's play channels and no-commentary stuff.

MoonFrog

You know, being completely unplugged with regards to social media I could not answer half those questions honestly. There were some you could say never to and some you had to choose one. I mean, I only use YouTube like every month or so when I feel like listening to music I don't own.

Went into it for e3 questions and never even got there...

tiijj

Nintendo begging me to tell it where to put all its memes again.

For fuck sake Nintendo stop it

Remember when they put meme on the translated NA version of Zelda triforce heroes and some people went bananas?

I can imagine someone at Nintendo saying "If you guys don't want us to put meme on the games, where the hell do you want me to put it in????

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
After asking if you pre-ordered or purchased games from Nintendo.com...

Which Nintendo games have you downloaded?

You can pre-order on Nintendo.com? There's games for sale on there? First off, you might want to utilize that more if you want to make sales on it. Selling the cover plates on it was nice, but they sell out so fast, which is disappointing. I have heard of bad customer service and an old archaic way of doing returns on the website, which is one reason why I have personally avoided it and purchased items off Amazon etc.

When asking about what kids stuff I want to see at E3, I basically said "None. The show isn't for them."

Terrible survey again... Who makes these things?

Nanashrew

Banned
Remember when they put meme on the translated NA version of Zelda triforce heroes and some people went bananas?

I can imagine someone at Nintendo saying "If you guys don't want us to put meme on the games, where the hell do you want me to put it in????

I just clicked Google+, no one uses Google+. That could be where everyone could dump their memes and light it on fire.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I beat the survey (yes, beat the survey, I considered it a challenge) in about 7 minutes. But that was because I gave a lot of quick responses to bullshit questions. So much about social media, I just post on forums like GAF, okay?

I had a little fun with it.

The important questions for me was the E3 ones. I made it perfectly clear in the E3 expectations (and the "what would you like to see for kids at E3?") that they need to detail the NX and its launch lineup and to sell the fans. This year is a make or break for 'em.

Occam

What's the point of a survey like this when it doesn't give you a choice to say you don't have/want something? "Not applicable" needs to be in option. Whoever designed this failed their marketing class, badly. The results of this are worthless.

I used to work in market research as an interviewer (sometimes helping people through online surveys, too).
Go on, hate me, I dare you.

Anyway, we would often bin whole survey responses that had too many non-answers to question boxes. Those questions are often coded after the fact into categories (e.g. 'What do you expect from E3? question might have 'NX' 'amiibo' 'game announcements' 'Other' categories and so on) and if there was no 'Irrelevant/Non-Sequitor' response coded in, the general practice was to burn the whole survey response because frankly it's too hard and no one cares. For example, one guy ranted about customer service in a local bank branch question that asked him if he was happy with his home loan and all of his responses were thrown out.

This isn't Treehouse reading each and every thing every respondent writes. This will be a 3rd party company (probably) coding responses into a list for NoA's marketing/PR department to read. Typing long winded responses about things not on the topic of the question will either be ignored (coded as 'Irrelevant') or get your whole response deleted. Either way, you're wasting your time. I mean, maybe you'll feel better. But you may as well be shouting into the void. *Maybe* some of the quality responses will be included (quoted or in full) in the report as examples but not the off-topic stuff.

I mean, maybe they do things completely differently at Nintendo, idk, but from my personal experience some of you may as well have saved the time.

EDIT: Sometimes, usually if the client paid enough, the data entry team would create the categories after the survey was completed based on the responses or would be given permission to add extra categories if a particular response was common enough, just overlooked or not considered prior to the survey (the answer would still need to be relevant to the question though). Most of the time (again, my personal experience), the categories were pre-set and unchangeable because the client was looking for the frequency of specific responses it already had in mind.

MisterNoisy

I tried, but when they asked me what I thought about the content on their YouTube channel after my response to 'Do you watch our YouTube channel?' was 'No, but I'm interested', I lost my patience with it. I hope they save partial answers, just so someone has to read the tirade I left as a result of that horseshit.

Terrell

I used to work in market research as an interviewer (sometimes helping people through online surveys, too).

Anyway, we would often bin whole survey responses that had too many non-answers to question boxes. Those questions are often coded after the fact into categories (e.g. 'What do you expect from E3? question might have 'NX' 'amiibo' 'game announcements' 'Other' categories and so on) and if there was no 'Irrelevant/Non-Sequitor' response coded in, the general practice was to burn the whole survey response because frankly it's too hard and no one cares. For example, one guy ranted about customer service in a local bank branch question that asked him if he was happy with his home loan and all of his responses were thrown out.

This isn't Treehouse reading each and every thing every respondent writes. This will be a 3rd party company (probably) coding responses into a list for NoA's marketing/PR department to read. Typing long winded responses about things not on the topic of the question will either be ignored (coded as 'Irrelevant') or get your whole response deleted. Either way, you're wasting your time. I mean, maybe you'll feel better. But you may as well be shouting into the void. *Maybe* some of the quality responses will be included (quoted or in full) in the report as examples but not the off-topic stuff.

I mean, maybe they do things completely differently at Nintendo, idk, but from my personal experience some of you may as well have saved the time.
Yyyyyep.
If you wanna write them an essay on a subject, write them. Or start a letter-writing campaign for like-minded individuals.
But this gentleman is right, you'll most likely not be heard at all if you attempt to twist the purpose out of a purpose-built survey to meet your specific agenda.

I tried, but when they asked me what I thought about the content on their YouTube channel after my response to 'Do you watch our YouTube channel?' was 'No, but I'm interested', I lost my patience with it. I hope they save partial answers, just so someone has to read the tirade I left as a result of that horseshit.
The question was "do you watch", not "have you ever watched". It's a perfectly valid follow up question.

Nanashrew

Banned
I am a little worried about mine now. I stayed on topic for all of them but I really wasn't sure what to write for the E3 expectations category.

tiijj

You're pretty much correct there lol.

Well this survey wasn't really intended for most of us here. I know for certain that mine will be thrown away LOL. The survey's not really intended for me, I don't even use most of the social media that they are mentioning. I don't even know or care about the "youtube celebrities" that was listed lol. The closest to social media that I want from them is Nintendo Direct and they probably know it and wouldn't waste time and money to figure that out.

You're right though it does feel a little bit better (even if I know that they probably won't read it) to vent saying gimme NX! gimme Mother 3! gimme a real AC game for the Wii U (or NX)! gimme etc!!! LOL

edit: gimme zelda Wii U and/or NX!!!!

Terrell

You're pretty much correct there lol.

Well this survey wasn't really intended for most of us here. I know for certain that mine will be thrown away LOL. The survey's not really intended for me, I don't even use most of the social media that they are mentioning. I don't even know or care about the "youtube celebrities" that was listed lol. The closest to social media that I want from them is Nintendo Direct and they probably know it and wouldn't waste time and money to figure that out.

You're right though it does feel a little bit better (even if I know that they probably won't read it) to vent saying gimme NX! gimme Mother 3! gimme a real AC game for the Wii U (or NX)! gimme etc!!! LOL
Wouldn't you rather do that in a way that, y'know, they might actually read though?
Your concerns shouldn't merely be vented for the sake of catharsis. And there are opportunities to do just that.

MisterNoisy

The question was "do you watch", not "have you ever watched". It's a perfectly valid follow up question.

If you say so. To me, it sounded like someone asking me my opinion on something I've already told them I don't have enough experience with to judge. Either way, if it went much past that, I'd have closed it anyway. Reading through the thread, it sounds like 'must provide fourteen answers' would have been a dealbreaker regardless.

zsidane

I liked there question about kids games/content on E3.
I said I don't want but they hit back with what kind on content I would like to see.
"I don't".

I always feel like I completely blow it on the "what do you want to see" questions. I put easy things like NX, Zelda U, gameplay, and so on. But I forget to mention Mother 3, Pikmin 4, cleaning up their shitty VC emulation, and so on until I see it in the thread. I think next time I need to read the thread through before doing the survey so I actually remember what the hell I want.

Gosh I don't know how Nintendo is able to make such horrible, broken surveys. Poor soul that is gonna have to evaluate these results...

Way too long, way to many obscure options, having to write open answers although you chose "no" on an answer... So many questions which you have to answer although none of the answers apply, skewing results...

And then something like "Would you watch an original video series created by Nintendo?" - Yes / No. Uh yeah I totally feel that I have enough information to answer that question ;-)

And oh god those awful tables forcing you to provide 14 answers in a matrix of 11 x 14 -.- Nintendo Marketing, please say you're hiring?

marmoka

Banned
I completed the survey. I don't know if they will consider my answer, but less is nothing.

I told them I had high expectation for the E3 because of the NX announcement and the upcoming games.

I told them not to show any content only for kids. That I love their games for all ages, and please show them, show games that also adults will enjoy: Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Mario platforming games,...

Damn that was a long survey.

It did give me an idea for a smartphone application though:

A step-counter that gathers play-coins which can be transferred to a 3DS.

This tirade sounds fun to read, did you save it? :D

Top Bottom