• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soda, meat industries are angry at America's 2015 dietary guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Of course they would.

The meat industry is sharpening its knives over a small federal committee that issued sweeping nutrition advice that essentially told Americans to drop the burger and grab a handful of kale.

The beef and pork associations spent months sweating as the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee worked on developing a large book of nutrition advice that would not only encourage Americans to eat less red meat but single out the livestock industry for contributing to environmental problems.

If adopted by USDA and HHS as a part of its every-five-year exercise to educate the public about how to eat healthier, the suggestions could not only influence consumer decisions but also be used to guide federal nutrition policy, including the $16 billion school lunch program.

So, now that the committee has spoken, delivering its 571-page report Thursday, the defenders of meat — among the most powerful lobbyists — are planning to attack the panel’s suggestions on multiple fronts. They will lobby Congress to help influence the federal agencies and form a coalition to request an extension of the report’s comment period from 45 days to 120, said Dave Warner, a spokesman for the National Pork Producers Council.

The industry intends to use the time to investigate the studies relied upon by the 14-member panel to draw its conclusions.

“I think they are off-base when it comes to meat,” Warner said of the report. “We’ll go through it with a fine-tooth comb. We certainly will then talk to lawmakers about it and express to them our concerns. We’ll certainly educate them about the role of meat, especially lean meat, in a healthy diet.”

But chief among the panel’s suggestions: Families should reduce their consumption of red and processed meats.

“Higher intake of red and processed meats was identified as detrimental compared to lower intake,” reads the report, which ties their consumption to increased risk of colon cancer and type 2 diabetes. The message is a departure from the 2010 committee’s report, which encouraged Americans to eat meat in moderation, and that has riled the industry.

“The protein foods category, which includes meat, is the only category currently consumed within the current guidelines, and it is misleading to conclude that a healthy dietary pattern should be lower in red meat,” said Shalene McNeill, a dietitian with the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association.

For all the data that links red and processed meats to colon cancer, there also exists evidence to the contrary, said Betsy Booren, vice president of scientific affairs at the North American Meat Institute. Also, until Thursday, outside groups did not have access to the list of studies the committee used when considering their recommendations, she added.

“If that library could be made available sooner … to see what they have … it would help our comments throughout the whole process, not just here at the end,” Booren said.
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, March 5, 2013, before the House Agricultural Committee hearing to review the state of the rural economy. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

ALSO ON POLITICO
USDA to cut off farm subsidies to city slickers

BILL TOMSON

The panel’s report also charges that the process by which meat products are sourced contributes to dirtying the environment.

“Current evidence shows that the average U.S. diet has a larger environmental impact in terms of increased greenhouse gas emissions, land use, water use and energy use,” the report says. “This is because the current U.S. population intake of animal-based foods is higher and plant-based foods are lower.”

The food industry was so worried the advisory panel might take this approach that it lobbied for a preemptive strike: It convinced lawmakers to include language accompanying the fiscal 2015 spending bill that instructs the HHS secretary to ensure any final dietary guidance be based on “sound nutrition science.”

The panel also suggests food labeling be retooled with a Nutrition Facts label on packaged foods that emphasizes calories, serving sizes and including overconsumed nutrients such as sodium.

Another food industry headache: The committee suggests that local, state and federal policymakers consider implementing economic and pricing approaches to promote healthier eating.

“[T]axation on higher sugar-and sodium-containing foods may encourage consumers to reduce consumption and revenues generated could support health promotion efforts,” the report reads.

“The committee’s efforts went far beyond its charge and authority, advancing a predetermined agenda rather than one based on the preponderance of scientific evidence,” said Chris Gindlesperger, spokesman for the American Beverage Association. “Instead of following its charge of developing nutrition recommendations based on clear scientific evidence, the committee spent significant time posturing its personal perspectives and advocating for public policies such as taxes and restrictions on foods and beverages.”

I love my beef dearly (as a matter of fact, steak is in today's menu) and I indulge in fizzy beverages from time to time, but the underlined has me in stitches. GTFO.

Fuchsdh

What I thought was interesting about the report is they weren't just focused on pure nutrition but also on the impact of that nutrition—which is one of the big reasons they focused on reducing meat consumption, since a more plant-based diet is better for the environment, even though the fad "cholesterol is evil" movement is sputtering out.

But no duh the entrenched industries are going to be pissed.

Talking about the rumored Apple car, someone mentioned Apple's penchant for being totally willing to destroy its own babies to get to the next big thing—how laptops cannibalized their desktop sales, they cancelled their most popular iPod lines for new ones, how the iPods then saw their sales go off a cliff when iPhones arrived—and expressed dismay that more big industry players aren't more willing to do the same. How would the world be different if oil companies had made a huge commitment to finding the next big source of renewable energy, or the beverage and food companies here thought about better ways to be sustainable or simply planned for the probably-inevitable trend of less meat due to limited resources, rather than digging their heels in and just trying to fight to keep the present forever?

akira28

kick em in the balls. they've deserved it for a long time. so just kick them in the balls until they shut up.

Fuchsdh

Well, the "wealthy" part naturally follows from the "entrenched" part. If you don't have money on your side you're likely to knocked aside easily. It's amazing that so much consumption can be pushed by "BEEF. It's what's for dinner"-type ads, but apparently it is.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
IBF fellow hoisting bros claiming "but I need my pruteen!", the dietary guidelines are favourable to more milk consumption AND you can easily substitute meat with more legumes.

Seriously dudes, we should eat more beans, lentils and chickpeas. They are tasty, filled with large amounts of protein and complex carbs, they are environmentally sound (grow easily, produce huge yields) and they are cheap as dirt. Half a year ago I began to reduce my beef/chicken intake by using legumes (usually in the form of chili and stews) and I've been making awesome progress while saving lots of money.

Eat more legumes. They are good for you.

How would the world be different if oil companies had made a huge commitment to finding the next big source of renewable energy, or the beverage and food companies here thought about better ways to be sustainable or simply planned for the probably-inevitable trend of less meat due to limited resources, rather than digging their heels in and just trying to fight to keep the present forever?

That would mean a huge refocus and the potential for a market upset at the hands of new, disruptive players, not unlike what Tesla Motors is doing in the automotive industry. They won't have any of that. They'll be dragged into the future kicking and screaming.

Wait, red meat is bad for you? Uh oh...
Just large amounts of it and particularly in combination with the rest of the usual American/Western diet. We've been told for so long that beef is the superior meat (if not the superior food) that consumption has gone beyond what's healthy.

I'd like more research on grass fed beef. There is indication that the meat produced could be healthier for you, it also has better impact on the environment.

Just large amounts of it and particularly in combination with the rest of the usual American/Western diet. We've been told for so long that beef is the superior meat (if not the superior food) that consumption has gone beyond what's healthy.

But I'm a meat-eating Keto guy... could spell trouble

Icefire1424

The sad thing is, regardless what the USDA and HHS says, a vast majority of Americans won't change their eating habits solely based on this report. Habits are difficult to break, especially when it comes to eating.

Alexlf

Statistically you have a higher chance of cancer and a few other things, but the major impact is to the environment caused by farming animals.

You'll probably be fine, but it is very unsustainable to have a mostly red meat diet.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

I'm pretty sure you can still follow a Keto diet without going beef-crazy. Either way, health should come well before our preferred diet. There are plenty of ways to lose weight and gain muscle that don't require to eat an entire farm per week.

As a side note, there's a well funded, very promising start-up called Impossible Foods that is working on a fake meat product that could pretty much turn the market upside down if they find the way to mass produce its product. It uses hemoglobin from vegetable sources to imitate the taste of red tissue, which makes their burgers taste pretty much like the real thing.

Yerp. People should start eating horse already.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
once a week for red meat is more than enough. Chicken is where it's at, yo.

And turkey, especially ground. Substituting ground turkey for ground beef works great in a whole lot of food I have at home (tacos, chili, hamburger helper-style stuff, etc). I've actually grown to prefer the turkey.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
They deserve all they get, especially for what they are doing to antibiotic resistance.

I do love a good steak, but I stay away from red meat and pork for the most part. I love chicken and poultry in general. Turkey burgers, Turkey bacon(Don't fucking hate), have all been great substitutes for my meaty diet.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I can't really eat red meat anymore... over time I've really been able to notice all the bad shit it does to my body immediately upon consuming.

As was said above - ground turkey as a replacement is good and honestly does the job.

Seanspeed

Banned
And turkey, especially ground. Substituting ground turkey for ground beef works great in a whole lot of food I have at home (tacos, chili, hamburger helper-style stuff, etc). I've actually grown to prefer the turkey.
Ground turkey can be quite bland if you're not seasoning or saucing it well, so I cant say I prefer it, but it is definitely a perfectly fine substitute. Its also not ideal for things like burgers because its important that you cook it all the way through.

joelseph

Isn't the issue not what kind of meat you are consuming but how much? If you are eating tacos, chili, hamburger helper, etc all the time, it won't matter what type of meat you are using. Still not healthy. Still not good for the environment.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Ground turkey can be quite bland if you're not seasoning or saucing it well, so I cant say I prefer it, but it is definitely a perfectly fine substitute. Its also not ideal for things like burgers because its important that you cook it all the way through.

You are very right, all the foods I listed are stuff that is heavily seasoned. Turkey burgers can be fine, but I definitely prefer real hamburgers any day.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So, now that the committee has spoken, delivering its 571-page report Thursday, the defenders of meat — among the most powerful lobbyists — are planning to attack the panel’s suggestions on multiple fronts. They will lobby Congress to help influence the federal agencies and form a coalition to request an extension of the report’s comment period from 45 days to 120, said Dave Warner, a spokesman for the National Pork Producers Council.
Bribery: The American Way

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
We should just start eating fat people, that would solve the environmental and obesity problems in one go! Fat people are probably delicious yet we are currently letting them go to waste by letting them remain uncaged and uneaten.

Seanspeed

Banned
We should just start eating fat people, that would solve the environmental and obesity problems in one go! Fat people are probably delicious yet we are currently letting them go to waste by letting them remain uncaged and uneaten.
On that note, I'm off to the gym........

McLovin

You could save millions of lives and probably almost eliminate diabetes if they outlawed hidden sugar and some of the bad artificial sweeteners like aspartame(which have been linked to vision and neurological problems). Most of the fat free/sugar free stuff is loaded with bad carbs. Its seriously out of control. Nothing is safe to eat anymore.

Hari Seldon

Yeah, the entire nutrition industry should be forced to read the Boy Who Cried Wolf every fucking night. I'm sick of their contradictory shit.

leakey

To hell with the meat and soda industry. There needs to be sweeping reform aka scrap the whole industry and start over before I would think to give them any support.

Jams775

I've been eating more beans lately than I probably have my entire life. I'm not doing it by choice though. Meat is just too damn expensive these days and there isn't a single decent butcher around me. I don't want to pay $6 for a weird green looking steak. Luckily I've grown quite fond of beans. My favorite being pinto, white, garbanzo, and hominy. Still don't much care for black beans though.

You could save millions of lives and probably almost eliminate diabetes if they outlawed hidden sugar and some of the bad artificial sweeteners like aspartame(which have been linked to vision and neurological problems). Most of the fat free/sugar free stuff is loaded with bad carbs. Its seriously out of control. Nothing is safe to eat anymore.

Source?

I was skeptical at first but I agree, you just need to season it a bit more and it's a amazing substitute.

we need more food variety or the future is going to be in trouble.

Australia, Man up and start sending us Kangaroo and Ostrich meat

I feel like I stepped into bizarro world with all this meat hate. Hate the carbs, not the meat, bros.
There's no meat hate. It's just the fact that it's not really healthy when it's being consumed so much.

This doesn't mean that bad carbs couldn't be targeted too (though yes, they should be targeted more).

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Nothing wrong with red meat.

...unless eaten in excess, as it currently is in the USA. there's really no need for these reflexive "wahhhh let me munch on bacon and steak every day" responses, no one is saying OMG RED MEAT IS SO BAD.

Timeaisis

Of course they'd be angry. Soda is bad for you. Red meat...in high quantities, sure. The majority of Americans don't pay attention to these things, anyway. Moreover, they're worried about loosing out the big money in school lunch programs. Unsurprising, of course.

However...
nutrition advice that would not only encourage Americans to eat less red meat but single out the livestock industry for contributing to environmental problems.

Why is the Dietary Guidelines Administration making any comment in their report on environmental impact of the livestock industry?

Vyrance

I love my red meat and soda (hell, I'm drinking a coke right now), but studies have shown clearly that you shouldn't be drinking soda, and you should try to keep a low intake of red meat. Hopefully they don't change the dietary guidelines, because it could harm a lot of Americans later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom