• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soda, meat industries are angry at America's 2015 dietary guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I mean, meat industry I can understand, but soda? Those motherfuckers should know better then to expect anything other then "drink less of it" from the USDA. You sell liquid candy for christsake, no-one is surprised when the health advisory is "eat less hershey bars"

Log4Girlz

IBF fellow hoisting bros claiming "but I need my pruteen!", the dietary guidelines are favourable to more milk consumption AND you can easily substitute meat with more legumes.

Seriously dudes, we should eat more beans, lentils and chickpeas. They are tasty, filled with large amounts of protein and complex carbs, they are environmentally sound (grow easily, produce huge yields) and they are cheap as dirt. Half a year ago I began to reduce my beef/chicken intake by using legumes (usually in the form of chili and stews) and I've been making awesome progress while saving lots of money.

Eat more legumes. They are good for you.

That would mean a huge refocus and the potential for a market upset at the hands of new, disruptive players, not unlike what Tesla Motors is doing in the automotive industry. They won't have any of that. They'll be dragged into the future kicking and screaming.

Just large amounts of it and particularly in combination with the rest of the usual American/Western diet. We've been told for so long that beef is the superior meat (if not the superior food) that consumption has gone beyond what's healthy.

But they aren't meat

Timeaisis

Why not? It is one of the greatest contributors to climate change.

Not arguing there, but it's the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee. The environment is hardly their sector. We do have the EPA to make recommendations on environmental impact and promote knowledge among the public sector. That's it's job.

Van Owen

Banned
...unless eaten in excess, as it currently is in the USA. there's really no need for these reflexive "wahhhh let me munch on bacon and steak every day" responses, no one is saying OMG RED MEAT IS SO BAD.

There's nothing wrong with eating bacon and/or red meat every day.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Not arguing there, but it's the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee. The environment is hardly their sector. We do have the EPA to make recommendations on environmental impact and promote knowledge among the public sector. That's it's job.

It makes plenty of sense if you take into consideration that waste from breeding operations can ruin crops and aquifers. People from my father's hometown have been pissed off at a local pig farm for over two decades because liquid manure keeps polluting fertile soil, mostly used for growing wheat and sunflowers. Liquid pig shit (literally) leaks into ground and makes the ground toxic for other farmers, which can result in contaminated food.

Let me see here. So we want to improve the health of Americans but giant companies will lose money and be inconvenienced? Am I getting that right?

old

The most laughable thing is that we allow industry to bribe and control government as much as we do.

Telling people to consume less processed food and sugary drinks shouldn't be controversial.

Damaniel

Banned
If the guidelines are making big food industries mad, then those guidelines are good. We've been letting them run the show (and pump up national obesity rates) for far too long.

Josh7289

Obviously if guidelines or regulations might hurt the profits of certain industries, they're going to complain. But just because they're complaining it doesn't mean we shouldn't listen to them. They have to just get over it. The science is solid; sugary sodas and red meat aren't good for a host of reasons, so the guidelines should reflect that, and it's good that they now will.

optimiss

Just large amounts of it and particularly in combination with the rest of the usual American/Western diet. We've been told for so long that beef is the superior meat (if not the superior food) that consumption has gone beyond what's healthy.

All mammal meat (red meat) is looking to be bad for you even in moderate (by the American standard) amounts.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2015/01/02/red-meat-cancer-immune/

Edit: More info

"Health experts recommend eating no more than 2.5oz (70g) a day, the equivalent of three slices of ham, one lamb chop or two slices of roast beef a day"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...tion-which-causes-cancer-scientists-find.html

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Well, 70 grams per day is a fairly decent amount of red meat for anybody who's not into strenght training nor anything like that. That's something like a small steak or a medium porkchop with its bone.

The problem is that we eat absurd amounts of meat. I mean, there was a time when I used to devour about 160 grams of beef (about one big steak) each day. These days I restrict my beef intake to a couple of 120 grams (cooked) steaks per week. The rest of my protein intake comes from a mix poultry, eggs, fish and legumes.

We really shouldn't eat red meat as a main course by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom