• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOE announces H1Z1 | F2P Zombie MMO launching in 4-6 weeks

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
I'm eager to see what state this releases in. I really like the premise they are aiming for.

I've been intrigued by the Day z/Rust-like open-world persistent social sandbox kind of game, but the fact of how early and busted those games are as well as the immense time commitment required has kept me from buying those games. Obviously that hasn't kept plenty of people away from those games though.

If they can come out with a much more polished and full experience than what Rust and Day Z have to deliver so far, then this could end up being pretty big. SOE definitely has more experience with making big networked games than the current competition, which could be a huge advantage over the competition.

If the game is solid and not screwed by bad F2P mechanics, this could be a pretty disruptive game.

Dire

So DayZ without as much jank and free? I'll check it out. Hopefully it comes to PS4 soon.

Come on. It's sad to see comments like this even on gaf. It's "free to play" - not free.

Especially given that it seems there may be competitive gameplay it's kind of ominous that they're not willing to specify how they plan on monetizing it. According to the reddit thread it was announced as not being pay-to-win yet including microtransactions. Does increasing your scavenge produce 400% for 24 hours count as pay-to-win? You're not actually getting anything that people can't get without paying - you're just getting it a 'little' faster....

SRTtoZ

Thanks for the thread and I'll echo what I said in the other thread. If the ambition translates to actual gameplay then this game will be very good for me.

Nafai1123

Banned
Come on. It's sad to see comments like this even on gaf. It's "free to play" - not free.

Especially given that it seems there may be competitive gameplay it's kind of ominous that they're not willing to specify how they plan on monetizing it. According to the reddit thread it was announced as not being pay-to-win yet including microtransactions. Does increasing your scavenge produce 400% for 24 hours count as pay-to-win? You're not actually getting anything that people can't get without paying - you're just getting it a 'little' faster....

Do I have to buy it to play it? No? Then it's free in my book. I've played warframe, blacklight, TF2, etc and have never payed for anything. DOTA 2 or LoL are F2P. Would you say those incredibly competitive games are made worse by being F2P? How bout we wait till the game is actually out before spewing vitriol about the atrocities of F2P games shall we? We don't have to wait long.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Sony needs to hold the leash of SOE tighter, a PS4 port should be available at launch :/

While there are so many Zombie/Survival games out there, still none is complete. DayZ had an incredible atmosphere but it is unfortunately very buggy. Hope SOE can improve on that. Will this game have perma death?

Wish the console version comes soon so I don't have to run it on my old PC and have to deal with cheaters.

This sure reads like sour grapes. What makes you think there will be cheaters?

Anyway, I'm pretty shocked this is coming to PC at all. Good news but f2p scares me.

Free to play and survival don't belong in same sentence ever. F2P is great for lots of genre but I'll never play a survival F2P game. Totally kills it.

This is the game dedicated to Star Wars Galaxies fans? Fucking SOE..

Smed already said in advance that it wasn't scifi, so those expecting it to be will be disappointed.

And he was brutally honest about why they're not doing scifi either. Because money.

Chabbles

I'm worried about how they monetise it. You don't survive in a survival game by buying shit from a shop.

The lead dude on the game said in the live stream, "there will be Micro transactions, but not pay2win". We'll have to wait and see if he's true to his word. This sounds great though so far, i cant wait. someone needs to get to work planing the neogaf city pronto.

Pop

you guys seem desperate.

OT: I hope this game is more zombified than the others.

What's going to be sad is if Microsoft beats Sony to the punch and gets their mmo to the console first. H1Z1 should have been decided years ago about coming to Sony's next console. But here we are, going to have to wait till god knows how long to see it on Ps4. They should really think about changing the SOE name.

I guess a PS4 port will be available eventually, but we don't even have Planetside 2 yet.

Yeah, that was the only thing I was thinking about when reading through the description. We knew about Planetside 2 coming to PS4 a year ago. We still have no clue as to when it's coming out.

I think the PS4 version is going to take a while.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
What's going to be sad is if Microsoft beats Sony to the punch and gets their mmo to the console first. H1Z1 should have been decided years ago about coming to Sony's next console. But here we are, going to have to wait till god knows how long to see it on Ps4. They should really think about changing the SOE name.

Most of SOE's games haven't even been on consoles. SOE may be a Sony company, but they are PC first.

Freeman

Banned
If they clone the right aspects and combine with SOE areas of expertise they just struck gold.

I like the "no leveling, no skills", I hope there is permadeath as well, those are so liberating in an MMO, you don't have to have a time commitment or anything just play at your own pace and the only disadvantage you would have it the potential lack o skill.

I hope they keep as much control as possible to the plays, no artificial systems, let them be organic, let the players come up with those if necessary.

I also hope they keep the simulation aspect, zeroing on guns, no long distance communication in game unless you have a radio, items that make sense, etc.

gogojira

I can't believe someone said they want Sony to hold the leash tighter and force SOE into making PS4 ports, that's an absurd way of thinking. They're a PC company, always have been and hopefully always will be.

Console ports are a nice luxury if they get around to it.

As for F2P, it is what it is. SOE is an F2P company and I think they did a damn good job with PS2 and Landmark.

Also: hyped. I'll definitely try it. SOE has been impressing me lately and I'll certainly give this game a shot. A quality massive TWD game could be great if it's actually done right.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think its good that sony online diversifies with releasing on PC first.

anyway, game looks interesting sort of. i might play it if its on steam.

Boken

Banned
the selfish attitude or just completely narrow mindedness of some PS4/console fans is really disappointing. Unfortunately, the world doesnt revolve around consoles. The PC market is actually bigger than the PS4 market and more open to F2P and MMOs - why should they release it on PS4 first?

"they should think about changing the SOE name [because they are releasing on PC]"
what a joke.

Ogimachi

Smed already said in advance that it wasn't scifi, so those expecting it to be will be disappointed.

And he was brutally honest about why they're not doing scifi either. Because money.
And where do the similarities begin exactly? I thought it was going to be a "love letter" to SWG or something like that? It might be a good game after all, but teasing it as dedicated to SWG fans was bullshit.
The thread seems to have turned into a port-begging fest, though, so this discussion is pointless here.

Nemic77

I don't usually spend money on F2P games, but... Enjoying DayZ as I do, and this being SOE I'll probably buy the early acess package.

I look forward to the SWG inspired elements the most, beside the whole zombie apocalypse theme of course...

Syf

Banned
And where do the similarities begin exactly? I thought it was going to be a "love letter" to SWG or something like that? It might be a good game after all, but teasing it as dedicated to SWG fans was bullshit.
Agreed that they shouldn't have even suggested this game would appeal to SWG fans. But there is one similarity so far. It sounds like this game will have a great crafting system like SWG had. They mentioned harvesting resources from the environment. We'll be able to craft basically everything in the game, including structures, vehicles, weapons, etc. Being able to form settlements again will be nice.

Freeman

Banned
Not leveraging this on the PS4 as soon as possible is insane. At this point SOE should have this kind of thing in mind from the get go.

We don't even know how they're monetizing it.

I don't care. If it were literally anything else I'd wait and see but microtransactions in a survival based game are a deal breaker for me. Totally and absolutely. If you get any advantages its pay 2 win. I don't think they'll do that but anything cosmetic will kill the entire concept of scavenging for me.

Just a big fat no.

SRTtoZ

There should be Ultima Online death rules. If you die your corpse lays there with everything you were carrying and anyone is free to loot it unless you get back to your corpse first and retrieve your gear.

The thread seems to have turned into a port-begging fest, though, so this discussion is pointless here.

I don't know, we don't have enough details to make that assessment.

Could be referring to the whole player sandbox thing where you could choose to be a farmer.

Iadien

i think its good that sony online diversifies with releasing on PC first.

anyway, game looks interesting sort of. i might play it if its on steam.

Smedley said it would be on Steam early access.

I don't care. If it were literally anything else I'd wait and see but microtransactions in a survival based game are a deal breaker for me. Totally and absolutely. If you get any advantages its pay 2 win. I don't think they'll do that but anything cosmetic will kill the entire concept of scavenging for me.

Just a big fat no.

Then the game won't be for you, most likely.

Pop

Not leveraging this on the PS4 as soon as possible is insane. At this point SOE should have this kind of thing in mind from the get go.

But it's SOE, they're PC first blah blah blah...

Such a shit argument. But seeing how long it's taking PS2 to reach Ps4, I expect to see H1Z1 next summer. What a waste.

Boken

Banned

Such a shit argument. But seeing how long it's taking PS2 to reach Ps4, I expect to see H1Z1 next summer. What a waste.
sorry

let me apologise on behalf of pc gamers that SOE isnt releasing their game for your beloved console right away

Iadien

It's a shit argument to say that SOE is a PC first company? It's a fact. lol

PS2 is still because of engine and multicore processing.

I expect subsequent SOE games to come to consoles faster if only because they'd probably built their games taking into account Ps4 's overall spec more than PS2.

Freeman

Banned
Did they mention what is the monetization strategy for this game, can easily turn me off from the game. Should consist only of cosmetic items that fit withing the world, get in game currency (hopefully there isn't any) or items in the mix and instantly kill the appeal.

Top Bottom