• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

Vashetti

Banned
Update 6:

Little update.

I've not long got home after staying with my parents. There's no packages and no 'missed delivery' slips either.

At the moment I'm assuming because it's Christmas time, postage is going to take longer.

Or he hasn't actually sent anything.

I've messaged him to request a tracking number, which he would definitely have for a package of this size.

--------------

Update 5:

PS4 (or a box of rocks) hasn't arrived back yet, but this early Christmas gift did:

fdTH1cX.png

--------------

Update 4:

Gaffer 'Mister Megative' very kindly got a tweet going to eBay which lots of folk retweeted, this got eBay's attention and led to their Ask eBay account DM'ing me

The buyer on eBay also stated they'd gone to the Post Office to dispatch the PS4 back to me.

--------------

Update 3:

"Dear vashetti,

We're writing to let you know that we've reviewed the details of this case and reached a final decision. We've asked the buyer to return the item to you for a full refund.

Details:
Decision:
This case has been decided in the buyer's favour.

Comments:
The buyer has been asked to return the item to you. Once tracking shows the item has been delivered back to you, the buyer will be issued with a refund. If the buyer uses an eBay postage label to return the item, you will be required to pay the postage and will see this charge on your invoice."

Plus this lovely message from the buyer:

"Have my address haha mail fraud your sick in the head. I had I wrote to you first and replied haha. Your a idiot who clearly doesn't no shit. Want to act clever and tell me you know my address. Well when i have to send the console back il will have your address clever little man haha hope the dead guys really dead. Wasnt that you excuse for sending a week after payment. I paid for w working days delivery not a week"

(I had a death in the family resulting in a late delivery)

Plus this in the Return detail section:

"Cant not sort things out with this person have spent hours on the phome to network provider telling me its not them and that somy have banned it. Im using mu internet now to write to you so clear its not my internet thats not working have taken to a shop had been told it been banned online and i can eiter buy a new one or oay tjem to put i new mother borad and stuff in so it will be reconosed as a different console. I havent done and have had to go buy a new one"

--------------

Update 2:

Sent this to the buyer along with the screenshots of my back-and-forth with Sony

The console is not banned, I used it and it was working perfectly up until the time I shipped it, I believe you're lying and trying to scam me.

I have contacted Sony’s direct support, and they have confirmed to me that the console and serial number are not banned, and that you have in fact been online and used the console with no issue — which you can see in the screenshots attached. As you have not responded to both of my messages so far, I’m sure you’re perfectly aware of the scam you are trying to enact.

So here is what I'll do, since I personally verified before shipping it that it was in perfect working condition, as this was my console used on a daily basis. You can either accept you’ve made an illegitimate claim, back down and cancel your request for a refund, and we’ll forgive and forget.

Or, you can send me the console. Should you choose to go down this route, and you return a console that has a different serial number or has been tampered with, I will report you to eBay, Paypal, and the police for mail fraud. I have your name and address and mail fraud is a crime. Trust me, you don't want to go down that road for a mere £160. If everything is indeed as you claim, then your refund will be processed once my original console is returned 100% in the condition I sent it in and with the issues you described. Otherwise, legal action will be taken. Thank you for your time, and I hope you make the right decision.

--------------

Update 1:

--------------

Recently I sold my OG PS4 on eBay to make back some of the costs of my PS4 Pro purchase. This was a launch console that was used almost daily and was in perfect working condition.

I received an email from eBay earlier requesting that the buyer would like to return the PS4 for a full refund because

The console is banned online so it is partly working which is in turn no use to me. I would like a full refund

This is absolutely not the case, I played online with the console regularly and was constantly signed into PSN. Therefore the buyer is lying or there is something wrong they're doing on their end.

I've heard many stories of how eBay regularly sides with buyers over sellers. So what do GAF?

mf.luder

I just listed my PS4 locally so I can relate a little.

I hope, really hope, that this guy is not scamming you. Big ticket items like this scare me on eBay.

oldmario

mention that you marked a secret area on the ps4 and ask him to send it back

they're probably trying to scam switch their faulty system and it'll probably cause them to back off into their corner

georly

Is there a way to call sony and see when the console was banned?

mention that you marked a secret area on the ps4 and ask him to send it back

they're probably trying to scam switch their faulty system and it'll probably cause them to back off into their corner

How easy is it to swap serial numbers on one?

You can't do anything other than accept the return. It isn't something you'll be able to easily prove to eBay support. I just hope you had a picture of the console's serial number in your listing otherwise he'll probably scam you and send you a banned console he had lying around.

You're screwed. You should have set buying restrictions and/or mentioned that 0 feedback users (if he is one) will have their bids cancelled. Make sure you get the PS4 back before you issue the refund, however.

First thought is he's trying to scam you. He's gonna return his banned/faulty PS4 and keep yours.

If you have the serial number of your PS4 console, then you should be OK. You can match it when you get the console back and dispute the case on PayPal.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

You're probably not keeping that money. If you're lucky you'll be given the console back, but most likely the buyer is going to swap it with one that's already banned.

Do you have photos of the serial number to compare?

ViolentP

Recently I sold my OG PS4 on eBay to make back some of the costs of my PS4 Pro purchase. This was a launch console that was used almost daily and was in perfect working condition.

I received an email from eBay earlier requesting that the buyer would like to return the PS4 for a full refund because

This is absolutely not the case, I played online with the console regularly and was constantly signed into PSN. Therefore the buyer is lying or there is something wrong they're doing on their end.

I've heard many stories of how eBay regularly sides with buyers over sellers. So what do GAF?

Got a serial number for the OG?

phonics

Banned
Fuck that. Delink your bank account and credit cards from PayPal asap. You're getting scammed. It happened to me when I sold sneakers back in the day.

You can't do anything other than accept the return. It isn't something you'll be able to easily prove to eBay support. I just hope you had a picture of the console's serial number in your listing otherwise he'll probably scam you and send you a banned console he had lying around.

This is 99% what the buyer is intending to do. You'll get a PS4 back, but it won't be the one you sent him.

RPGam3r

This is why I rely on large "evil" corporations like Amazon and Gamestop. Saves me from dealing with shitty consumers.

N° 2048

Fuck that. Delink your bank account and credit cards from PayPal asap. You're getting scammed. It happened to me when I sold sneakers back in the day.

Umm no, if the buyer is entitled to a refund that money is owed. He can't runaway from that. That's illegal AFAIK or at least a fine line. PayPal already has his info too.

OP got scammed :(

d9b

Banned
So he got your PS4 and will get his money back, you in return will get his banned PS4. Am I reading this right?

Vashetti

Banned
I did receive a 1-month PSN suspension once, but once that expired, everything was dandy and I was able to continue using PSN and playing online.

There's no way that could be the issue here right?

Never sell anything on eBay unless you want to get scammed.

Also never sell anything on Craigslist unless you want to get shot.

I generally only sell things to friends and people I personally know. If no one I know wants to buy it, I just won't sell it. People are scum.

kaioshade

Umm no, if the buyer is entitled to a refund that money is owed. He can't runaway from that. That's illegal AFAIK or at least a fine line. PayPal already has his info too.

OP got scammed :(

umm if hes getting scammed, why are you saying he shouldnt try to protect himself?

Daffy Duck

It is a scam sadly, your options are bend over and take it like a champ, or close down accounts, remove your details from PayPal and tell him to politely go forth and multiply.

I did receive a 1-month PSN suspension once, but once that expired, everything was dandy and I was able to continue using PSN and playing online.

There's no way that could be the issue here right?
OP IS A CHEAT
No, he's trying to scam you.

Ya he's about to send young his previously banned PS4 back and pass it off a and the one you gave him. Extremely shitty but since you didn't mark down the serial number then you might be screwed :/

See if you can contact Sony to get the serial number.

In the meantime, bluff. Tell the buyer that you'll process the refund when you have the PS4 back in hand and verify the serial number with what you have recorded. Tell him if the serial number on the console doesn't match that you will report him for fraud in a heartbeat.

Contact Sony might help. They should be able to see what PS4 were attached to your PSN account. But if you deactivated your PS4, which you probably did, I'm not sure they can confirm information regarding that PS4 anymore

The buyer is planning to send you a banned PS4 and this as a printed out image:

image.php

One suggestion is to go nuclear. Remove card info and delete account.

I would contact Sony. They should be able to see what console was used when you last had it and cross reference that info with the ban date.

Yep, and Sony should be able to tell you your serial number, or at least off your PS4 is banned, you could send that info to Ebay.

Or, tell the buyer you contacted Sony, with your PS4 serial number, and they said it wasn't banned...This could smoke him out if he is pulling a scam, let's him know you have the serial number...

Another thing, the buyer could easily send you bricks in a box, and then deny it, EBay ALWAYS sides with the buyer, then you really get screwed...I would literally videotape you opening the box and checking the serial number in an uncut and unedited video if he does end up returning it.

Rondras

Banned
Don't sell on ebay next time. Basically. I don't know how people still trust ebay. I understand why exist, the money it makes, it's a place for some very good deals of rare objects but there is too much bullshit there.

Vashetti

Banned
Can you find it in account settings when you look at activated systems while logged into your account on PC?

I deactivated the console prior to sending and factory reset it.

But my other PS devices in account settings don't list their serial number either.

Top Bottom