• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

Breads

Banned
Buyer tries to scam OP using Ebay's policies.

Ebay, familiar with this dance, covered the OP and let him keep his money.

OP wants the money and the PS4 though.

If I have this right.... that last step is where the OP lost me.

:edit:

Okay looks like they're letting it go. Sucks it had to be riddled with BS but I think this is for the best.

neoemonk

I get it. You don't want to get ripped off but you don't want scammers to be rewarded too. At the end of the day it's a business decision on eBay's part. They lose.

I will say this thread has seriously made me reconsider selling big ticket items on their service though.

I tried to sell my PS4 last year on eBay. It was a pain in the ass and ultimately I just held onto it until recently where I took the $175 deal from GameStop.

I tried selling it on Craigslist too, and even though I put cash only, no trades, I got all these off the wall offers for it. I just don't have the patience to deal with that kind of stuff.

Just so you guys know I'm letting it go.

I know how you feel. I could imagine you got a strong sense of justice. Even if you don't have lost money now, the situation is still not right, which fucks with your brain / makes you emotional.

But yeah, maybe it's better to say "fuck it" now. Just imagine the scammers shitty life, being an asshole like this. He "lost" anyway.

I know how you feel. I could imagine you got a strong sense of justice. Even if you don't have lost money now, the situation is still not right, which fucks with your brain / makes you emotional.

But yeah, maybe it's better to say "fuck it" now. Just imagine the scammers shitty life, being an asshole like this. He "lost" anyway.

How did he lose if got a free PS4?

Vashetti

Banned
He's sending you his own banned PS4, which means you will have to file some sort of claim with Ebay, so sorry OP.

Jc just walk away already, there comes a point, you're at that point

9rkj0HI.png

SURGEdude

Ebay let you keep the money you were paid for it. At that point you shouldn't care whether you get it back or not. You got paid. You doing this makes you look a bit greedy when not that long ago, you were on the verge of getting screwed. Feel lucky that you came out ahead and don't push your luck is all I'm saying. You got your money, no reason to care anymore. If it comes back, great, you can sell it again, if it doesn't, you were paid for it. You won either way.

Honestly not sure how you can question the OPs motives on this. While I understand the privacy issues outlined by eBay, the OP is actually doing the thing I wish more people did. He's been made whole and most people in his position don't even ask about the scammer after that. People like the person who tried to rip him off are going to prey on others, I think OP did the right thing letting the eBay rep know he was interested in making the conman see repercussions. They told him their policy, he made his point, and now he's moving on.

And frankly even if he did get both the PS4 and they money as far as I'm concerned he's the only one of the 3 parties involved who isn't either pond scum or an enabler. I'd rather he came out ahead than the scammer break even and eBay collect their totally undeserved transaction fee.

After the time he's put in just getting what he deserved is still getting fucked.

MilkyJoe

You got the money, why was this book not closed as soon as eBay credited the funds? Who gives a fuck once the original goal is achieved?

Moze

Banned
You got the money, why was this book not closed as soon as eBay credited the funds? Who gives a fuck once the original goal is achieved?

Because you can't just let people get away with this stuff. The buyer is clearly a massive dickhead and deserves to get whatever nonsense can be thrown at him/her.

So did the funds come from the buyer? If so, nice, you prevailed. eBay said the item was not required to be refunded nor returned. Aka, it belongs to the buyer at this point. That is, of course if the funds came from the buyer. The hassle it costs you was covered when eBay paid the fees.

Breads

Banned
Because if this person isn't punished they'll continue attempting to scam other people.

That's not up to you/ the user. That's up to Ebay. The OP got their money. Their part in this situation is done. Either the PS4 or the money rightfully belongs to them. Not both. Ebay is not in the business of giving away freebies so you can rest assured that if something could be done it will. It's not up to you to let them do anything. It is not your responsible to punish or sanction people. Ebay took up that mantle.

That's not up to you/ the user. That's up to Ebay. The OP got their money. Their part in this situation is done. Either the PS4 or the money rightfully belongs to them. Not both. Ebay is not in the business of giving away freebies so you can rest assured that if something could be done it will. It's not up to you to let them do anything. It is not your responsible to punish or sanction people. Ebay took up that mantle.

Look I get it, but not everything works how it should in theory. I don't think most of you realize just how lucky OP is. EBay siding with the seller in ANY capacity is incredibly rare. They have a meme-like reputation for always siding with the buyer even in the face of strong evidence. That's why so many people scam on eBay, the service is poorly policed and they get away with it.

I've gone through damn near this exact situation in the past with an Xbox 360. I lost. I had photos and logs to prove it wasn't banned and I still lost. I got no money back. I got a penalty to my seller account.

I just think its horseshit that this guy got away a free PS4 by doing this. If eBay wasn't stepping in to get it returned to me, I'd step up my own game and get it banned. Not to say I don't respect OP for being "the bigger man", but as far as I'm concerned to hell with that. Stealing and scamming should have consequences.

shezbot

Look I get it, but not everything works how it should in theory. I don't think most of you realize just how lucky OP is. EBay siding with the seller in ANY capacity is incredibly rare. They have a meme-like reputation for always siding with the buyer even in the face of strong evidence. That's why so many people scam on eBay, the service is poorly policed and they get away with it.

I've gone through damn near this exact situation in the past with an Xbox 360. I lost. I had photos and logs to prove it wasn't banned and I still lost. I got no money back. I got a penalty to my seller account.

I just think its horseshit that this guy got away a free PS4 by doing this. If eBay wasn't stepping in to get it returned to me, I'd step up my own game and get it banned. Not to say I don't respect OP for being "the bigger man", but as far as I'm concerned to hell with that. Stealing and scamming should have consequences.

You're certainly not wrong.

I'm sure that ps4 really tied the room together

Ebay: "Is this your PS4, Larry?"

Top Bottom