• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

Socivol

I've decided I'm going to wait a few more days just in case it does show up, however unlikely that is.

After that, I'm going to report the console to Sony as stolen. Because I can only imagine how sweet it would be to see the buyer's face when booting up the console to go online only to find it's banned from PSN.

Do it! This happened to me with an iPhone I sold and the buyer never sent it back but he was refunded AND they didn't pay me back for it.

Something something gift horse.

He's not "getting away with it" if you got your money back. Wether he pays back eBay or not is their problem. You got paid for the PS4 so take it and walk away. I understand wanting to have your cake and eat it too, but don't push it.

Kronotech

OP, you were already made whole by eBay. Let them deal with the scammer. It's their money that's gone. Not yours. They are going to deal with him.

Put it this way: If the PS4 does arrive back to you, will you send the money back to eBay or will you keep both?

plidex

If that's true then I wouldn't report it stolen op as eBay pretty much owns it now. But this thread is still suspiciously full of people who don't want justice but just want the scammer to keep his free ps4 . Feels like there's a few in here who identify with the scammer tbh

That's ridiculous.

OP, you were already made whole by eBay. Let them deal with the scammer. It's their money that's gone. Not yours. They are going to deal with him.

Put it this way: If the PS4 does arrive back to you, will you send the money back to eBay or will you keep both?

Good question. If we are talking about justice, if he got his PS4 back then there wouldn't be any reason to take eBay's money.

All I would recommend is to update ebay with the status of the return.
If you receive it or not, and whether it's the console you sent.

Then it's up to them to pursue further action. They're now the scammed party now.

Justinh

I'm in the camp that it's time to walk away. OP sold a PS4 and someone tried to scam him out of his money and his PS4, but that was resolved and he's no longer required to accept a return.

You sold a PS4, you got the money for the item sold. ebay took the loss when they refunded the buyer so it's on them to worry about, since they're the ones who actually lost anything in this case. The only thing I would do is make sure ebay has information on the serial number so they can do what they feel is necessary. From what I understood, they already have this now though...

DonShula

The bold part is kind of a big deal if OP is planing to do anything nefarious to the functionality of the console. OP set out to sell a PS4, sent the PS4, and was compensated for the PS4. I'm not familiar with the local laws involved here, but there's likely no leg to stand on now as far as OP's claim to the PS4 goes. OP was made whole for the transaction at the end of the day. You can't assign yourself an award (i.e. the PS4) as "damages" after the fact - that surely wouldn't fly in most jurisdictions. And reporting it stolen could cause a whole lot more trouble for OP than the scammer.

Grug

Yeah, time to make a business decision instead of a personal one OP.

Take your money and run and don't waste any more emotional energy on it. The PS4 basically belongs to eBay now. Let them decide what to do from here. The more times eBay lose out in situations like this, the more incentive they have to adjust their policies to eliminate scammers.

You fought the good fight and ended up with a pretty acceptable result.

Take the money and forget it. Some of your interactions with the buyer have already placed you on shaky legal ground. Sabotaging a PS4 that is owned by another party would be extremely unwise.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Yeah, I'd just let it go at this point OP. Assume Ebay has him by the tiny balls for causing them this much negative publicity. You exacted justice, especially against Ebay and their pro-scamming policies. Scammer is no longer a concern unless he sends you a box of poop or something.

Jezbollah

Good question. If we are talking about justice, if he got his PS4 back then there wouldn't be any reason to take eBay's money.

Technically if he gets back the PS4 and the refund is back in the account, the original PS4 will be Ebay's property.

Coxy100

Banned
Yeah, time to make a business decision instead of a personal one OP.

Take your money and run and don't waste any more emotional energy on it. The PS4 basically belongs to eBay now. Let them decide what to do from here. The more times eBay lose out in situations like this, the more incentive they have to adjust their policies to eliminate scammers.

You fought the good fight and ended up with a pretty acceptable result.

Have to agree with this. I get why the OP would want to report it stolen. But at the end of the day he's got his money back now. Let ebay worry about whether they want to pursue it or not.

Tak3n

Banned
How did the buyer win the dispute if he didnt provide a tracking number? I thought Ebay/Paypal demanded that as proof of shipping.

Initially yes, then GAF got involved and got ebay twitter to close the case and refund OP.... of course the irony is they inadvertently helped the scammer

it is done.... paypal closed the case and refunded both of them.... the scammer does not have to return anything

Tak3n

Banned

I know we have spoke via PM, but please OP let it go....there is a reason why Sony or Ebay wont help, because it is done...

now if you really want to get him back and scare him, issues a small claims court against him £20 of your money....

But in all honesty I am not convinced you would win... you have to step away from the personal feelings and try to think objectively....you got your money and commission free sale...you done ok, infact made £18 profit on top of what you thought...

time to close thisbook

I know we have spoke via PM, but please OP let it go....there is a reason why Sony or Ebay wont help, because it is done...

now if you really want to get him back and scare him, issues a small claims court against him £20 of your money....

But in all honesty I am not convinced you would win... you have to step away from the personal feelings and try to think objectively....you got your money and commission free sale...you done ok, infact made £18 profit on top of what you thought...

time to close thisbook

I kind of agree with this now, at the end of the day, OP got his money and a better return on it than first expected. BUT the annoying part is that the buyer has basically just gotten his PS4 for free. That would grind on me I think and possibly something like a glitter bomb may find its way in the post.

You've been made whole and have your money OP.

As much as it sucks, it's between the buyer and Ebay now.

I'd suggest against reporting it stolen, as Ebay have effectively paid you for it.

highly depends. in most cases ebay just payed a goodwill refund for his losses or/and troubles . they likely did not pay for the console
but then again i'm not familiar with uk law, so this is just my personal view of the site what could've been

so i would still go for it.
it is still fraud. just because ebay covered your potential loss, the fraud is not undo.

meddow

I believe eBay and or PayPal will chase the buyer for the cash. I forgot to pay fees and went away ok holiday for 6 months came back to a court summons and nearly a ccj! They won't let him get away with it!

Tak3n

Banned
I believe eBay and or PayPal will chase the buyer for the cash. I forgot to pay fees and went away ok holiday for 6 months came back to a court summons and nearly a ccj! They won't let him get away with it!

No, they allready closed the case and refunded both parties.... they did not decide in OP's favour, they did what ebay always does...take a hit and refund everyone

I can fully understand Vashetti still being very raw about this. The little shit deserves some comeuppance but I would leave it and hope Ebay does this. Don't waste any more of your life on the buyer; he is not worth the additional stress and time.

It is galling to think the buyer could be pulling this stunt on other people but you have already had to spend far too much of your life dealing with the idiot. I just hope it comes back to severely bite him on his ass at some point.

MicH

I can fully understand Vashetti still being very raw about this. The little shit deserves some comeuppance but I would leave it and hope Ebay does this. Don't waste any more of your life on the buyer; he is not worth the additional stress and time.

It is galling to think the buyer could be pulling this stunt on other people but you have already had to spend far too much of your life dealing with the idiot. I just hope it comes back to severely bite him on his ass at some point.
Yeah, it's scary and infuriating to think that the buyer may be scamming a lot of other people and getting away with it. After all OP only got his money back because a stink was raised on Twitter. What happens to all the other potential sellers who don't have that option?

offshore

Been following since the start, and chiming in now to agree with others, that it's time to let go.
CyanideFuse said:
I just hope it comes back to severely bite him on his ass at some point.
Well if this is an enterprise, lol, then his luck is bound to run out at some point. One day, he's accidentally gonna scam an absolute psycho....

DonShula

Op, get out now. A zero sum result is better than the need to keep it real. Listen to Dave Chapelle. Keeping it real will go wrong.

I DON'T LIKE PEOPLE PLAYIN ON MY PHONE.

9ztvHIM

Imo, OP should just move on now. As ebay said, it's now their problem. Giving it even more of your time or energy is only going to continue to have a negative impact on your mindset. You got the best outcome. You effectively did sell your PS4 to this guy and get the money, despite the shit he tried to pull, plus he's flagged himself to Ebay and other services ebay works with. IMo that's literally the best outcome that could have happened. Wanting more from the situation will probably just frustrate, even if you want to see him castrate, and even if he deserves it.

E92 M3

PS4 isn't yours anymore - Ebay paid for it. Stop being greedy and move on. You were very fortunate to have such a clean resolution.

playXray

Neither Sony, eBay nor the police will care about this case unfortunately. I managed an online retailer for several years and we had some very clear cut cases of fraud where we even managed to track down the exact name, address and photo of the fraudster. No-one cared, and nothing was done about it.

It's a sad day for the justice league, but you just have to accept that the scammer has more than likely got away with this one.

Tayaya

eBay is FULL of scammers and people trying to get everything for free.

I recently sold my Retron 5 to a buyer who was initially correct in that I forgot to include the AC adapter in my initial shipment to her (it fell under my car seat on my way to my shipper and I didn't notice it while boxing up the system), she proceeded to plug any AC adapter into it that fit despite my explicit instructions to NOT do so. I sent her the official adapter the next day but the damage was done. She had fried the console by using an adapter that had too much current, and even admitted this to me in writing. That didn't stop her from filing three separate claims with eBay under the pretense that I sent her non-working goods or good not as described. I was appalled that every time eBay ruled in my favor that she was still allowed to open new cases about the same thing over and over again. It took a very angry call to their customer service to finally get her off my back.

What I do with EVERY electronics item I sell on ebay is a shoot a video showing the item, its serial number, and the fact that it powers up, works properly, and has no cosmetic damage. In that video I include the date, time, and the buyer's information. I did NOT do this in the case of the Retron because I was in a hurry and it almost bit me in the ass. This DID save my bacon on two other iPhones I sold on eBay, though.

Make videos, don't let the buyer know they exist, keep them until after eBay's buyer protection windows elapse.

test_account

XP-39C²
Buyer looking to claim from courier for a lost PS4 (box of rocks!) the double scam!
Hehe, well, in that case he would need a tracking number :) Just think its strange that Ebay/Paypal allowed a refund without any proof of returning the item.

Initially yes, then GAF got involved and got ebay twitter to close the case and refund OP.... of course the irony is they inadvertently helped the scammer

it is done.... paypal closed the case and refunded both of them.... the scammer does not have to return anything
In that case, its crazy that Ebay/Paypal gave out money to the buyer without getting a tracking number first. I guess it makes sense in the way that they wanted to close the case as soon as possible, but still.

DOWN

Banned
I've decided I'm going to wait a few more days just in case it does show up, however unlikely that is.

After that, I'm going to report the console to Sony as stolen. Because I can only imagine how sweet it would be to see the buyer's face when booting up the console to go online only to find it's banned from PSN.
eBay paid you for it man. They did that so you can move on.

That's pretty BS of you to let eBay pay you because you claimed to send a working console, only to end up ruining their faith by admitting you then bricked it while they were investigating. And you might just be simply screwing over someone else who bought the console from the scammer. The scammer may not have it at all.

Frankly you have no grounds to call this theft when you were paid by eBay for a sale to cover you. You are just pushing it too far and need to let go.

Tak3n

Banned
Neither Sony, eBay nor the police will care about this case unfortunately. I managed an online retailer for several years and we had some very clear cut cases of fraud where we even managed to track down the exact name, address and photo of the fraudster. No-one cared, and nothing was done about it.

It's a sad day for the justice league, but you just have to accept that the scammer has more than likely got away with this one.

This, it scare me the amount of people who think the police will give a shit.... Hell if you burgled now the cops sometimes don't even come out and just give you a crime number...

They will have no interest in getting involved in a case of he says, she says...

even if you had to deal with tons of extra bullshit, you still got what you came for (ie, money for your ps4). it's not particularly satisfying but you gotta just let it go and move on, do NOT stir up even more shit at this point. count your blessings that it's over, you got paid, and you never have to think about that ps4 ever again

DrDamn

Frankly you have no grounds to call this theft when you were paid by eBay for a sale to cover you. You are just pushing it too far and need to let go.

As far as I can see the deal was this. Buyer sends back PS4 to Seller, E-Bay pay both Buyer and Seller taking the hit. So Seller should get his PS4 back and the money he would have got for a sale, it's his property according to what was agreed.

TheGamer

I skimmed through 25+ pages of this thread. I'm just wondering if there's some legal recourse that OP can take outside of eBay if he didn't get his money. Essentially, eBay is the middleman in the transaction, removing it from the equation, will just be a regular transaction between buyer and seller. I haven't had a chance to look at the eBay terms and conditions if there is a mandatory arbitration or if you have to use eBay's internal procedure to resolve any issue, but I think that just applies if you sue eBay as a defendant.

DOWN

Banned
As far as I can see the deal was this. Buyer sends back PS4 to Seller, E-Bay pay both Buyer and Seller taking the hit. So Seller should get his PS4 back and the money he would have got for a sale, it's his property according to what was agreed.

They gave him money on the good faith that the buyer got a working console. They have the buyer money on the good faith that the item was not working for him despite it appearing he is not sending it back. They took care of Vashetti and did not promise he would get his original working console back, and Vashetti told eBay himself that he did not expect the scammer to provide his working system back, which is why eBay paid him in the first place. So that things would be ok if Vahsetti got a bad buyer

x3sphere

Maybe I missed it but how do you know for a fact eBay gave the buyer a refund as well? Since they refunded you, I would assume they didn't. I thought the funds remain held until eBay can confirm that the item is returned.

Either way you accomplished what you set out to do, sell the PS4 and got paid. If eBay didn't give the guy a refund, and you get his console banned, then I'd also assume he could start a claim against you.

Belker

I had a situation like this, except I was the buyer. I ended getting my purchase price refunded and keeping the item, with ebay letting the seller keep the money I'd paid.

I'd raised some issues with a bag I bought after initially leaving positive feedback; I'd noticed some problems that weren't apparent on first inspection and had not been mentioned in the listing.

eBay took the hit because the seller suggested the damage might have happened during shipping at an eBay logisitics warehouse, but I think the issues were there to begin with. The seller thought I was trying it on.

My mistake was not taking my time in examining the bag and leaving feedback too quickly.

Both the seller and me got we wanted - I mean, got more than I expected - but it was still unpleasant because both parties felt the other was trying to pull fast one.

ty_hot

I think you shouldn't contact Sony and ban the console... Because you are probably not the first one he scams (or try to), so the odds are that he already sold it to someone else and by banning the console you would be hurting someone that have no relation to any of this. Or he could just have used the console for parts.

Unless ofc if sony can tell you in their chat that your ps4 IP didn't change again (to a third location). Then I would definitely do it. What could he do? Go to the police LOL?

Izuna

Banned
So...

OP sells PS4

Buyer says it's banned and wants to return

It isn't banned, so OP may be getting scammed

EBay makes sure OP keeps his money made, and buyer gets his refund too

And now OP wants to ban the PS4?

Wtf?

DrEvil

not a medical professional
So...

OP sells PS4

Buyer says it's banned and wants to return

It isn't banned, so OP may be getting scammed

EBay makes sure OP keeps his money made, and buyer gets his refund too

And now OP wants to ban the PS4?

Wtf?

Pretty much.. and if he does contact sony to have it banned / reported as stolen, he's essentially validated the scammer's storyline and would basically be at risk of not only losing his ps4 (which is no longer his ANYWAY), and all the money eBay gave him as a result.

He's letting anger/hate/revenge get the best of him.

something something path to the dark side.

Pretty much.. and if he does contact sony to have it banned / reported as stolen, he's essentially validated the scammer's storyline and would basically be at risk of not only losing his ps4 (which is no longer his ANYWAY), and all the money eBay gave him as a result.

He's letting anger/hate/revenge get the best of him.

something something path to the dark side.

oh boy I camer here expecting a nice story and not this.

This will definitely bite OP in the ass later if he does this

Top Bottom