• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

BibiMaghoo

I'm glad this worked out OP. I hope Ebay murder his account for it though. Judging by that message they are going to be keeping an eye on him.

I'm not sure I get what's going on now. You won.You get to keep the money. Can't you just let it go now and not worry about if it ever comes back to you or not? You shouldn't care anymore.

I won a case against a guy scamming me and when people he's currently scamming message me I help them out.

I don't think there is anything wrong with pursuing a scammer just because you won the case, the guy is still breaking the law and trying to steal from people, he deserves to be caught and punished.

Vashetti

Banned
So you want to keep the money and want the PS4 back for free?

What the fuck? Why are people trying to spin this on me now?

The buyer has scammed me. They agreed to send my PS4 back.

I may have been refunded by eBay, but why should the buyer be allowed to get away with it?

It's theft.

Waikis

Do you still have original receipt?
If you haven't received it yet, you should just contact Sony and report it as stolen so they can ban the console. >)

Worst thing that happened to me on eBay was inadvertently my own fault.

I sold my phone that I thought I had lost (I got a new one and then found the old one after reporting it as lost), but I didn't know that phones get deactivated when that happens, or at least on anyone's SIM card other than my own.

I was on vacation at the time and ended up not getting the $500-600 I sold it for. I returned the money to the buyer and thankfully they did send the phone back to me and I was able to sell it again soon afterwards (noting that it couldn't be used as a phone) for a lot less money.

Only other bad thing that happened was I was selling some old Beast Wars toys and one of them broke in shipping so I just refunded the guy a few bucks.

Threads like this definitely make me think twice about selling on eBay though. I usually stick with Craigslist or Offerup, but I usually have more success with eBay. I feel super lucky I didn't get completely screwed over when I sold my phone.

I may have been refunded by eBay, but why should the buyer be allowed to get away with it?

It's theft.

Ignore these people mate there's always one who doesn't get it, you're spot on doing what you're doing and letting eBay know, this scammer is clearly a scumbag of the highest order.

Vashetti

Banned
1LRHmi8.png

Vashetti

Banned
I've decided I'm going to wait a few more days just in case it does show up, however unlikely that is.

After that, I'm going to report the console to Sony as stolen. Because I can only imagine how sweet it would be to see the buyer's face when booting up the console to go online only to find it's banned from PSN.

It's theft.

Wait, Ebay paid you but the buyer didn't pay Ebay? That's the case here?

I mean, if your money is buyer's money then it isn't thievery even if he was ill intended. But if he didn't pay a thing... well, that's wrong, I wouldn't care at all but you're right in doing something about it.

The buyer agreed to send the PS4 back, and even stated they'd done so.

Why should they get to keep my perfectly working PS4 for free?

Ebay let you keep the money you were paid for it. At that point you shouldn't care whether you get it back or not. You got paid. You doing this makes you look a bit greedy when not that long ago, you were on the verge of getting screwed. Feel lucky that you came out ahead and don't push your luck is all I'm saying. You got your money, no reason to care anymore. If it comes back, great, you can sell it again, if it doesn't, you were paid for it. You won either way.

AzerPhire

Yeah I don't really get the issue anymore. Yeah he might have gotten away with his scam but in the end eBay took the loss not you.

You have the money from the sale. Just leave it be at this point.

I've decided I'm going to wait a few more days just in case it does show up, however unlikely that is.

After that, I'm going to report the console to Sony as stolen. Because I can only imagine how sweet it would be to see the buyer's face when booting up the console to go online only to find it's banned from PSN.

Hope that works out, he needs some kind of punishment for this bullshit. I'm 100% against him just getting away with it.

Ebay let you keep the money you were paid for it. At that point you shouldn't care whether you get it back or not. You got paid. You doing this makes you look a bit greedy when not that long ago, you were on the verge of getting screwed. Feel lucky that you came out ahead and don't push your luck is all I'm saying. You got your money, no reason to care anymore. If it comes back, great, you can sell it again, if it doesn't, you were paid for it. You won either way.

Yeah I don't really get the issue anymore. Yeah he might have gotten away with his scam but in the end eBay took the loss not you.

I see where you are both coming from but if the buyer gets to keep the ps4 AND their money they are essentially being rewarded for an illegal scam. I don't think there is much Vashetti can do but wanting justice doesn't make him greedy.

Synth

So you want to keep the money and want the PS4 back for free?

Ebay did the refund as a courtesy, after the buyer claimed to already be sending the console back.

I'd say this is less about keeping the PS4, and more about not letting the scammer keep the PS4.

AzerPhire

I see where you are both coming from but if the buyer gets to keep the ps4 AND their money they are essentially being rewarded for an illegal scam. I don't think there is much Vashetti can do but wanting justice doesn't make him greedy.

Not saying it is greedy just that it is out of his hands now. eBay took the lose let them deal with it. If the console hasn't arrived in another week let eBay know and then forget about the whole thing.

joecanada

Yeahhhh do eeeet. That will be sweet especially if he E-mail you after.

Lol at the "why do you want justice" posts.

deluxeg

Neo Member
Just let ebay deal with it, it's a cost of doing business for them. They aren't going to send in a swat team to recover a used PS4 for your justice fantasies. Also ebay owns the console now, not you, reporting it stolen could be considered fraud. If they want to report it stolen it's up to them.

NeOak

You keep asking OP why does he care, but the bigger question is why do you care?.

jonezer4

I'd say this is less about keeping the PS4, and more about not letting the scammer keep the PS4.

Exactly. In this scenario, both Vashetti and some sniveling piece-of-shit scammer got their money back. On top of that, one of them gets a free PS4. I can't fathom how anyone that's followed this thread and has any appreciation for justice could think Vashetti should just drop if the scammer gets to keep the PS4. The scammer would still be winning, even if Vashetti's not really losing. F that.

tebunker

Banned
Exactly. In this scenario, both Vashetti and some sniveling piece-of-shit scammer got their money back. On top of that, one of them gets a free PS4. I can't fathom how anyone that's followed this thread and has any appreciation for justice could think Vashetti should just drop if the scammer gets to keep the PS4. The scammer would still be winning, even if Vashetti's not really losing. F that.

Because at this point some faux vigilante bullshit isn't going to make things better. In fact it may come back and bit Vashetti in the ass.

It is in fact better to let sleeping dogs lie. Let Ebay handle this at all and feel personal peace knowing that Karma will eventually catch up to the scammer.

No point in taking it any further other than some self righteousness and feeling like an internet badass.

Yeah it sucks if the scammer gets to keep the ps4 and the money. Vashetti was restored in good faith and should just let the rest fall as it is. Its not like the scammer is still putting the screws to him.

Why do you care how much he cares about you caring about how much you care that I care?

I'm not the one questioning about why I would care.

Because at this point some faux vigilante bullshit isn't going to make things better. In fact it may come back and bit Vashetti in the ass.

It is in fact better to let sleeping dogs lie. Let Ebay handle this at all and feel personal peace knowing that Karma will eventually catch up to the scammer.

No point in taking it any further other than some self righteousness and feeling like an internet badass.

Yeah it sucks if the scammer gets to keep the ps4 and the money. Vashetti was restored in good faith and should just let the rest fall as it is. Its not like the scammer is still putting the screws to him.

This pretty much.

GazzaGSi

Large packages can be sent 1st or 2nd class without tracking with Royal Mail so it could still be on route to you if he chose the cheapest method but I highly doubt it's in the post to you at all.

Apt101

The scammer probably re-sold that PS4 the day after they got their refund. I wouldn't report it stolen, in fact it seems like wasted energy to continue caring now that eBay has made things right and are dealing with the buyer.

Megatron

There's nothing, I've checked.

Also:

Of course if the ps4 is returned to you, ebay already let you keep the money from the sale, so you would essentially be getting a free ps4 if he does send it back. Somebody is getting a free ps4 in this scenario.

Erekiddo

The scammer probably re-sold that PS4 the day after they got their refund. I wouldn't report it stolen, in fact it seems like wasted energy to continue caring now that eBay has made things right and are dealing with the buyer.

This. You would be screwing over a potentially innocent person.

I get the frustration, I do. However, you got your money back. Let it go, otherwise your contempt will eat you alive.

Brunire

This would be a plausible, worst-case scenario. If Vashetti bricks the console and the scammer has already sold it to someone else, the final purchaser would be the only one who loses.

Rellik

Large packages can be sent 1st or 2nd class without tracking with Royal Mail so it could still be on route to you if he chose the cheapest method but I highly doubt it's in the post to you at all.

It shouldn't take over 7 days in the UK. Even at this time of year. But yeah, I doubt he even posted it.

Kiyo

As someone who's gone through this OP, they almost always ask for the item from one party or another. Since you don't have it and they're not asking you for the item, then that means they've contacted the buyer, confirmed he has it, and charged him directly and have basically told him to send them the PS4 to get his money back. They obviously can't tell you any of this because it's between them and him now. Don't worry, they don't just hand out free money without getting something from one party or the other.

joecanada

As someone who's gone through this OP, they almost always ask for the item from one party or another. Since you don't have it and they're not asking you for the item, then that means they've contacted the buyer, confirmed he has it, and charged him directly and have basically told him to send them the PS4 to get his money back. They obviously can't tell you any of this because it's between them and him now. Don't worry, they don't just hand out free money without getting something from one party or the other.

If that's true then I wouldn't report it stolen op as eBay pretty much owns it now. But this thread is still suspiciously full of people who don't want justice but just want the scammer to keep his free ps4 . Feels like there's a few in here who identify with the scammer tbh

Good for OP getting to keep his money.

But why is seemingly everyone assuming the buyer(scammer) got a refund? Yes, the original ruling was in the buyer's favor, but that is contingent on him actually shipping the console back to OP with delivery confirmation. Yes it could be a box of rocks if OP ever receives a package, but he hasn't. And if he never does, we should be able to assume the buyer never shipped anything back and thus will never be refunded.

As for OP's vindictive idea of claiming to Sony that his PS4 was stolen and trying to get it banned ... just don't. Wanna talk about fraud, you knowingly got paid for it, whether that came out of the buyer's pocket or eBay's. What if the buyer never returns the PS4 and thus never gets refunded by eBay? Then it's essentially a legit transaction and OP would have falsely claimed his PS4 was stolen.

Edit: ^^^ already beaten during my long write-up.

level1

Getting your money is one thing, but spending whole days trying to deal with customer support, trying to figure out how to not get scammed by some obnoxious fuckwit, and even just generally stressing out and thinking about the whole thing while idle, is another. If I were in Vashetti's shoes, I would be doing all I can to not let the asshole get away with it too.

DeathPeak

I'd let it go now that you've been reimbursed for it. I can totally understand wanting some kind of punishment towards the buyer (and who knows, he may just get it), but you've won the battle. Let ebay deal with the war. That's just what I'd do.

You've been made whole and have your money OP.

As much as it sucks, it's between the buyer and Ebay now.

I'd suggest against reporting it stolen, as Ebay have effectively paid you for it.

Top Bottom