• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

Grimalkin

I am never selling anything on eBay ever again after reading this thread. Sold a lot of consoles there, lucky thus far.

Right, as I said up thread I've been selling things on ebay for 5 years. Sold all kinds of things, high value and low. Sold many consoles over the years. Never had an issue until these last few months and now there are tons of scammers. Even when you do win against them you are out lots of your personal time. On the last one I spent 4 hours on the phone or scanning and submitting my documented proof but in the end they ruled in favor of the scammer because I didn't get signature upon delivery and thus had no proof that the buyer actually received the item. I did have proof from the local post office that I did indeed ship it when I said it I (tracking # on receipt matched what PayPal auto-generated for me) but nope, not good enough. So now I'm out over $100 between the listed price plus shipping plus ebay still took their "cut".

I can't say that the scammers are all of one type of person. I've had lots of people purchase from me using mail forwarding services - meaning they are from Eastern EU or Russia - with no problems. Two of my scammers were definitely in the US. I'm just saying I can't say "oh yeah it's the Russians" or anything like that.

Putting anything worth $50 or more up on ebay just isn't worth it anymore for me. I might throw up a $30 game because taking the loss on $30 is way better than a couple hundred or more.

And their mandatory return policy is bullshit. If I sent a like-new or NEW item and it comes back scratched/dented/OBVIOUSLY used that's crap.

I tell everyone I know to stay away from ebay until they do something about it, not that I think they will.

The Dude

Whoa, I've sold my old Nintendo Wii and Playstation 3 in the past on ebay without any issues.

I guess i was lucky...

No, most people sell just fine. But when a situation arise its magnified and then people overreact. There are hundreds of thousands of items that sell daily without a hitch

slammer

2 months ago I used ebay to sell off a few rare Blu-Rays und CDs. One buyer complained, that the Steelbook was scratched und water got into it - it was sealed, yeah right. Ebay Germany here, so I there is no mandatory return. Of course got negative feedback. Another buyer complained that I allegedly swapped the original case, which I didn't and other ridiculous statements.
A third buyer said he can't install the Xbox One game I've sent him (Witcher 3), but never replied again...

In the past I never had a problem, I got ~400 times positive feedback as a seller on my ebay account (and 2 negatives last month...). It's not fun anymore. I'm just glad that Paypal isn't mandatory or else I would be without my items and without money.

Vashetti

Banned
Little update.

I've not long got home after staying with my parents. There's no packages and no 'missed delivery' slips either.

At the moment I'm assuming because it's Christmas time, postage is going to take longer.

Or he hasn't actually sent anything.

I've messaged him to request a tracking number, which he would definitely have for a package of this size.

Little update.

I've not long got home after staying with my parents. There's no packages and no 'missed delivery' slips either.

At the moment I'm assuming because it's Christmas time, postage is going to take longer.

Or he hasn't actually sent anything.

I've messaged him to request a tracking number, which he would definitely have for a package of this size.

He has to send something back to get his refund though, right?

Justinh

He has to send something back to get his refund though, right?

I thought that in the end this was a case where he wouldn't be getting a refund (re: OP update 5). I kinda don't get why he's sending anything back in the first place. Isn't just like... he already got the money for selling it?

Grug

I thought that in the end this was a case where he wouldn't be getting a refund (re: OP update 5). I kinda don't get why he's sending anything back in the first place. Isn't just like... he already got the money for selling it?

The OP sold it to the dude. The dude has to return it in order to get a refund.

Vashetti

Banned
It's been a full 7-day week now since the buyer supposedly shipped the PS4 back to me.

For a package that size, it MUST be shipped with a courier, which would never take a week to arrive somewhere, even at busy Christmas time. You'd also 100% be given a tracking number, which the buyer still hasn't replied to my request for.

I don't believe he's shipped anything at all. So in effect he's got a perfectly working PS4 and a refund on top of it.

Mascot

It's been a full 7-day week now since the buyer supposedly shipped the PS4 back to me.

For a package that size, it MUST be shipped with a courier, which would never take a week to arrive somewhere, even at busy Christmas time. You'd also 100% be given a tracking number, which the buyer still hasn't replied to my request for.

I don't believe he's shipped anything at all. So in effect he's got a perfectly working PS4 and a refund on top of it.

You have to hand it to the little thundercunt - that's an excellent scam, superbly executed.

eBay should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves for facilitating it.

Told you, Ebay are solid when it comes to sellers, Paypal on the other hand are total cunts.

I don't understand how two separate protection policies can be in play. When I had to deal with a guy scamming me on a phone I sold over eBay, they were willing to look into it, but before they could get anywhere PayPal said they sided with the guy and eBay just dropped everything.

It's really sad that Blackberry was the one who had to step in and fix everything for me because PayPal wouldn't do shit.

Tak3n

Banned
You have to hand it to the little thundercunt - that's an excellent scam, superbly executed.

eBay should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves for facilitating it.

TBH as soon as he got the paypal have closed this dispute and refunded you, why would he send it....

not only that he can now sell it as banned and probably make another £100...scammers gonna scam

Ogawa-san

TBH as soon as he got the paypal have closed this dispute and refunded you, why would he send it....

not only that he can now sell it as banned and probably make another £100...scammers gonna scam
Does he actually get his money back before providing proof an item was sent back? I don't even mean the right item because eBay can't verify that, but a tracking code at the very least. They can't be that pro-buyer, they'd be open to plenty of scams themselves.

I'm guessing the guy is just stalling so OP would have less time for a recourse once he opens his box of rocks.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Im confused.

I read Update 5 and that to me seems like saying that you no longer owe the guy a refund and that he stuck with your old PS4.

Yet, there seems to be more. What am I missing?

Vashetti

Banned
Im confused.

I read Update 5 and that to me seems like saying that you no longer owe the guy a refund and that he stuck with your old PS4.

Yet, there seems to be more. What am I missing?

Buyer agreed to send the PS4 back, and by doing so he would get a refund.

It's been a full week since he supposedly dispatched the PS4 back to me and I've received nothing.

Nheco

Buyer agreed to send the PS4 back, and by doing so he would get a refund.

It's been a full week since he supposedly dispatched the PS4 back to me and I've received nothing.

But he doesn't need to provide any tracking code as proof that he sent it's back to you?

I mean, how ebay know that he really sent it back to you? Or ebay doesn't give a fuck?

GazzaGSi

Ask PS Twitter just got back to me, about to enter chat now

Hopefully they can give you the info you need.

Normally refunds are issued when the item is proven returned but this case has been abit different where ebay have already ended the dispute and both parties have been refunded.

It could be worth messaging the eBay twitter guy and tell them you are yet to receive the return.

Vashetti

Banned
T-thanks

MyV4yUo.png

3NhPp1K.png

R3jyRkj.png

EmiPrime

Usually ebay don't issue the refund if the returned item does not show up as having been delivered back to the seller on their system. There should be a tracking number attached to the case details.

I'm not sure I get what's going on now. You won.You get to keep the money. Can't you just let it go now and not worry about if it ever comes back to you or not? You shouldn't care anymore.

panda-zebra

Banned
I'm not sure I get what's going on now. You won.You get to keep the money. Can't you just let it go now and not worry about if it ever comes back to you or not? You shouldn't care anymore.

GAF cares. We're not reading through 11 chapters only to close the book before the last page.

That sucks. Maybe keep trying until you get a better representative that's actually helpful?

Hope the previous helpful one doesn't get in trouble

You could also try to argue that it's in fact a console you own that you want to know the info on since as he's supposed to send it back to you, it's seemingly now your console again

Vashetti

Banned

The buyer agreed to send the PS4 back, and even stated they'd done so.

Why should they get to keep my perfectly working PS4 for free?

Rellik

7 days is plenty of time. I recently had something (I'm UK too) arrive overnight despite it being this time of year, so either the post man is playing on your PS4 or the scammer hasn't even bothered to send it.

Top Bottom