• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Let's say I don't get back my working PS4 and I get one that is banned from PSN, or I get the shell of mine (my serial number) with the innards of a banned one.

Am I able to call the police? As the buyer was meant to send back my PS4, they are in effect stealing. And it's not like I'd be sending them on a fool's errand, I know the guy's address and even found his Facebook.

Don't pursue it any further, for your own sake.

I am so very, very happy for you and it makes me really happy to know that others like Mister Megative stepped to help you in this bullshit situation. Ebay and their bullshit policies and dispute reviews really pisses me off.

Synth

Honestly, I'd still report it stolen to Sony... because it is. At least that way the buyer gets lumped with another banned PS4, and so gets nothing for his BS.

I'd also post him a lump of coal, to arrive in time for Xmas.

mackattk

Been a silent observer of this thread since it started, and just really thought the OP was going to get completely screwed. Very cool that was not the case and am so interested in hearing what is in the box.

I guess comic book sellers are the only good people on eBay? I buy a ton of comics off eBay, a whole, whole lot, and there has been one time I had an issue, and in fact the seller rectified it immediately, so really it was only a slight inconvenience. And I have purchased some pretty pricey, pretty rare comics.

Have you sold many comics on eBay? The biggest problem with eBay are the buyers and not the sellers.

Honestly, I'd still report it stolen to Sony... because it is. At least that way the buyer gets lumped with another banned PS4, and so gets nothing for his BS.

Then he just goes back on eBay and scams someone else and the cycle continues.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Uhm. No. This is how this kind of behavior promulgates. "Well it worked out in my favor so I'm not going to worry about it."

. . .and then the next guy this idiot works over is in the OP's spot.

Synth

Then he just goes back on eBay and scams someone else and the cycle continues.

Possibly... though you'd think eBay was be a little more sceptical of another identical story directly after the current saga. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit here though, considering the original ruling.

Also, I can imagine that this working out so well for the scammer, motivates them to do something similar in the future regardless tbh.

Mods - we demand you force change 'Mister Megative' to 'Mister Positivity'

Eh, I'll take a nickname :p

In all seriousness, I'm glad Vashetti was able to get all this sorted out. We're all a family. A disjoined, dysfunctional, disagreeing, loud, vocal, argumentative family.....but a family nonetheless.

Kazoo

Good shit OP!! Glad that worked out in the end for you! I was getting angry just lurking the thread but happy at the outcome.

alexbull_uk

Glad it worked out for you OP!

Shout out to Mister Megative for being straight-up awesome too.

If you don't get your own PS4 back I'd 100% report it to the police. Don't let scumbags like this guy get away with it.

This has been a freaking ride with highs and lows throughout. Congrats OP, and kudos to Mister Megative for the assist. Although it's terrible that it took that much attention given to the issue to actually get off their asses and investigate. Fuck that buyer, I hope he gets his account banned. And fuck Ebay for their shitty practices.

Trojan X

Banned
I read the original and up to the latest update. All I can do is laugh. Good job, OP. Also, thank your lucky stars that you had someone working at eBay that got a brain for the case was pretty obvious thanks to all the information you have provided.

The only thing I'm annoyed about is how stupid many people at eBay are for the first "siding with the buyer" reaction was a case of not caring what was going on. I hope your stress level is now at an all-time low.

Dang, I should get you guys to help me get my seller account back. I only sold occasionally, never had any actions or claims against me, but my Shipping Time Rating dropped below like 4.3 (It was still above a 4 out of 5) and they banned me from selling, for life.

I know, I know, you are saying "There is more to this story" but there isn't. I was an ebay member since like 1998, sold a lot back then, never had any issues, however, when they started passing all these new regulations for sellers, you had to keep all your ratings above like a 4.2 or 4.3. Mine dipped, and in the great ebay purge of like 2011 or something, they closed my abilities to sell.

They do like a Purge every year or so where they close out Seller accounts, and mine was purged.

I contacted them multiple times, sometimes a year apart, and they said it was closed for good. They said since my shipping time rating dropped below their standards, I couldn't sell anymore. I hate ebay. So stupid.

Awesome OP. Now, not to be too vindictive, but if it were me, I would still contact Sony and get his/your former console banned if he sent you the bricked unit.

Faiz

Been a silent observer of this thread since it started, and just really thought the OP was going to get completely screwed. Very cool that was not the case and am so interested in hearing what is in the box.

I guess comic book sellers are the only good people on eBay? I buy a ton of comics off eBay, a whole, whole lot, and there has been one time I had an issue, and in fact the seller rectified it immediately, so really it was only a slight inconvenience. And I have purchased some pretty pricey, pretty rare comics.

The problem exists more with scamming buyers.

I have very little problem buying something on eBay. But selling... not sure i can do that again.

Dan-o

I don't think the buyer will end up with a working console. If he's returning a brick with a different serial number, then OP can report his sold console as stolen to Sony so they can ban it.

Agreed.
Show proof of the sale. Proof of the dispute. Proof that the "return" is not the exact item that was sold.
I would HOPE that Sony would then ban the stolen console at that point. They might not, depending on the evidence presented, but it's the best course of action, in my opinion.

I don't think the police will do anything, honestly. Not worth the effort.

LoveCake

We did it!

jwX1GRM.gif

NeoGAF Where no gamer stands alone.

JayBabay

Congratulations! I've been checking up on this thread fairly often and can say I've acquired quite a bit of knowledge now on the matter. Thankfully it wasn't at your expense and everything indeed worked out!

Valentus

So in the end it wasnt that ebay favor the seller... it was that the pressure GAF and social media puts on them was big and to avoid bad PR, they refund the buyer, but also they assumed seller's costs.

Im really glad for you vashetti, but if we go deep, ebay only act just for pressure. It makes you think that any other person that doesnt have GAF or a big community's favor, is really fucked in the same situation.

Ricky_R

No, it will be like the sale went through and the buyer never said anything, as OP still got paid for it. In fact, he's better off since eBay credited the fees.

Ohh... So he got paid and he doesn't have to refund the money, and Ebay possibly will. Missed that part.

Don't mind me then.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Glad it resolved for you, OP.

Scary as fuck though that even given all the evidence, eBay originally decided to side with the buyer. Reminds me why I haven't used that site to sell in over a decade.

Top Bottom