• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

Glad OP got it worked out but they obviously only looked over the case because people were making a big deal out of it on Twitter. Most people aren't so lucky.

Congrats OP!

Although I disagree with eBay refunding the scammer too, at least this saga got a positive outcome.

Now to await for the box's return.

I'm currently staying with my parents, so if the box arrives in the next few days my partner should receive it. Don't know if he'll want me there to do the unboxing or not.

I'll keep you guys updated though.

You and your partner should open it together. he would want that too.

OP got so lucky in this case, eBay seems to be awful with this shit now. Here's another story - http://matthewsag.com/?p=1642

eBay does this shit now where they say a buyer is in the states, but then is actually in Russia. I have a friend who is going through the same thing and eBay of course sided with the buyer even know everything the buyer is saying/doing is suspicious as hell.

Fuck eBay.

n64coder

Dang, I should get you guys to help me get my seller account back. I only sold occasionally, never had any actions or claims against me, but my Shipping Time Rating dropped below like 4.3 (It was still above a 4 out of 5) and they banned me from selling, for life.

I know, I know, you are saying "There is more to this story" but there isn't. I was an ebay member since like 1998, sold a lot back then, never had any issues, however, when they started passing all these new regulations for sellers, you had to keep all your ratings above like a 4.2 or 4.3. Mine dipped, and in the great ebay purge of like 2011 or something, they closed my abilities to sell.

They do like a Purge every year or so where they close out Seller accounts, and mine was purged.

I contacted them multiple times, sometimes a year apart, and they said it was closed for good. They said since my shipping time rating dropped below their standards, I couldn't sell anymore. I hate ebay. So stupid.

Couldn't you create a new account and start selling again?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Happy everything worked out for you. I'm convinced eBay doesn't even investigate these claims (lack of manpower?), and just has a blanket policy of "side with the buyer".

Looks like the only way to get their attention with a dispute is by calling them out on social media.

I hope the buyer loses his eBay account.

Occam

It's great that NeoGAF managed to create enough noise to make ebay actually look at the evidence. The way ebay treats sellers is reprehensible.
However, I sincerely hope the buyer who sounds like a terrible person (with a distinct lack of manners, intelligence and education) won't get away with it if he actually exchanged the console's innards/serial number. That's fraud and deserves to be punished.

Coxy100

Banned
OP got so lucky in this case, eBay seems to be awful with this shit now. Here's another story - http://matthewsag.com/?p=1642

eBay does this shit now where they say a buyer is in the states, but then is actually in Russia. I have a friend who is going through the same thing and eBay of course sided with the buyer even know everything the buyer is saying/doing is suspicious as hell.

Fuck eBay.
Thanks for the link - that's shocking

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Congrats!

Now to see what you get back.

Even though things are pretty much resolved on your end, if you get back anything but your console, still report it to that rep via twitter. If the guy isn't already banned, he will be, so he can't scam anyone else and put someone else through this.

MicH

Fuck eBay.
This is so disgusting that I don't even know how to express myself. Remind me to never sell anything on eBay ever.

fernoca

I'd deny the package at your house, but pick it at your local post office, with someone there also serving as witness.

Who knows what will be inside and once delivered on your house, is out of your hands.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Don't fuck with a witch Gaffer

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Fuck eBay.

Disgusting. I once had a bidder on a AMD CPU and they had a suspicious name and address. I looked up the address on Google and it listed a half-occupied warehouse in New Jersey. On the google review, users told how these "people" would have the items shipped to the front door of the unoccupied building, then a thug looking henchman would walk over and pick up the package.

I cancelled his bid on 2 separate auctions before sending proof to Ebay and confronting the buyer. The user then left me positive seller feedback saying, "Very good and responsible seller . I recommend!" although he never successfully bought an item. Additionally, although the shipping address was to New Jersey, he as listed as being based in the Ukraine. "He" as in organized crime syndicate. This quality buyer is still active with 100% feedback.

I am OCD so I saw it coming, but if I had shipped, they would have scammed me and likely smuggled the tech out of the country to Russia labeled as a box of trinkets or the like.

Ebay did nothing.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Like OP, I had to do all the leg-work and laid out my case with substantial proof:
main_proof.jpg

Ebay never responded to my concerns and buyer profile is still active with 100% quality feedback:
main_proof2.jpg

Without GAF and a thread with 200k+ views, seller would have been completely scammed of his money and his PS4. Additionally, he would have received back a box of rocks with a fuck you note, AND likely received negative seller feedback.

*edit* don't know how to post images here.

peetfeet

Didn't the scammer claim he sent the parcel back ~Monday? surely it's arrived by now? Must be a bloody heavy box of rocks if the postie can't lift it.

Grimalkin

I don't know what is going on with ebay. I have been a seller for 5 years and never had an issue before the last 3 months. Since October I have had to deal with 5 scammers. 4 I got resolved in my favor after hours of legwork and effort on my part, and the 5th one I lost even though I gave them lots of proof.

For anyone else thinking of selling consoles and accessories on ebay, ebay/paypal requires signiture confirmation on delivery for you to have any hope of getting your money back when dealing with a scammer. Having a receipt from ups/usps isn't enough. I feel if that's the case then it should be built into the listing's shipping price calculator instead of the seller having to eat the cost. You can manually enter a shipping price but that isn't a good solution as it is a static cost and most sellers use ebay's automatic calculator, so you are either more expensive than everyone else or you eat the cost if the buyer is somewhere far away (since you base your fixed price on the median distance).

Honestly, I now only sell old games worth less than $50.00 on ebay because I am tired of dealing with scams. I have a full time job plus a side business so I don't have the patience to deal with this crap too.

Can't wait for an update on what's in the box.
While I've never gotten scammed on ebay, I'm still hesitant to sell there since things just get worse and worse for sellers.

Couldn't you create a new account and start selling again?

I have thought of that, but I just use my wifes. They told me if I try to create another account from the same address, they will cancel that too.

I actually emailed them about it 2 days ago and they said "Yep, you are banned for life" and never answered my question as to why!

It was just one of their annual purges. They get rid of some small seller accounts annually.

Happy to hear it seemed to work out okay for OP

--

I was wondering if I could ask something regarding US Ebay and people's experiences with it/selling

I'm currently selling a Phillips 4K blu ray player I got cheap over black friday that is no longer a good gift [brother decided against buying a 4k tv] and a buyer has stated the following:

New message from: Ebay Member (324Turquoise Star)
Hi I don't live far from where you are. Do you have local pickup or i can even purchase it off of you personally?

Has anyone had any experience with either local pickup or selling in person [ala craiglist]?

Guy seems to live near me as it showed his city but well everything's a scam until it's not a scam so trying to get some thoughts on it

I wouldn't do it. What's the proof that you actually gave it to him? He can claim he never got it from you. With shipping, even if eBay will eventually go with the buyer, gives you proof of at least shipping the product.

Kyolux

I wouldn't do it. What's the proof that you actually gave it to him? He can claim he never got it from you. With shipping, even if eBay will eventually go with the buyer, gives you proof of at least shipping the product.

I assume he's talking about completely skipping the ebay part and delisting.

Marvel

could never
I am never selling anything on eBay ever again after reading this thread. Sold a lot of consoles there, lucky thus far.

Rellik

--

I was wondering if I could ask something regarding US Ebay and people's experiences with it/selling

I'm currently selling a Phillips 4K blu ray player I got cheap over black friday that is no longer a good gift [brother decided against buying a 4k tv] and a buyer has stated the following:

Hi I don't live far from where you are. Do you have local pickup or i can even purchase it off of you personally?

Has anyone had any experience with either local pickup or selling in person [ala craiglist]?

Guy seems to live near me as it showed his city but well everything's a scam until it's not a scam so trying to get some thoughts on it

I had 2 of these messages when I sold a Wii U and ignored them. Just didn't feel right to me.

jesu

--

Yeah he might want to pay by paypal then claim you never sent it.

I had 2 of these messages when I sold a Wii U and ignored them. Just didn't feel right to me.

Yeah he might want to pay by paypal then claim you never sent it.

If anyone cares, I responded to the local pickup guys message with the following:

Thanks for your interest in this item.

Unfortunately while ebay allows for local pickup, ebay does not appear to offer any kind of seller protection policy for such transactions so I don't think I could complete the transaction through ebay in that manner as I don't think I'd have any proof that I delivered the goods to you.

We could possibly discuss a cash sale of the item if you're really interested in a local pickup option, would have to occur somewhere like one of the local police stations that have okayed their stations being used for such transactions.

Let me know if you're still interested and we can try to work out the details etc.

Thanks,

I researched it a bit and Ebay's seller protection policy is like everything else ebay terrible and terribly detailed

If a buyer reports that an item hasn't been received
If you ship an item within your stated handling time and provide tracking information to the buyer before you or the buyer asks us to step in and help with a request, you're protected.
Tracking information needs to include:
A delivery status of "delivered"
The date of delivery
The recipient's address
Signature confirmation, if an item has a total cost of $750 or more

Absolutely nothing is mentioned at all if you do a local pickup option on ebay, only mention of it in the help pages appears to describe the fact that yes you can do that but it seems fairly clear to me that there is no ebay policy even attempting to protect the seller in that scenario so that's a no go

-

Paypal's seller protection policy is at least far more direct

What isn't covered by Seller Protection?
Seller Protection offers coverage for most PayPal transactions, as long as they follow the requirements explained in the previous sections. However, there are also some instances where Seller Protection doesn't apply:

•Items picked up locally or in person.

So cannot sell an item through ebay or paypal, do local pickup and expect any kind of protection hence why I opted to suggest a cash deal in/at a local police station as several approved their lobbies/parking lots to be used towards craigslist transactions. We'll see how it goes as I've always been wary of in-person transactions but the item is only worth $200 and is fairly large plus at a police station.

Top Bottom