• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Cardinals Fans Get Ugly In Clash With Ferguson Protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFIB

Eh, I'm usually a fan of the deadspin articles surrounding the Cardinals. They take it upon themselves to constantly run stories bashing the fanbase, team, etc. because the owner of Deadspin is a big Cardinals fan, so the writers take it upon themselves to run articles against the Cards as kind of a tongue in cheek (BFIB, "the Right Way" etc.) As a Cards fan, I think these articles are entertaining.

But this is a little excessive. Yeah, these people who are defending Darren Wilson are clearly in the wrong, but this is a hot button issue and it clearly is stepping over the line IMO.

And people ask me why I dont like St. Louis. I don't want anything to do with the place. These Cardinal fans only come to the city for the games. If it wasn't for their baseball, the inner city would deteriorate into the state that Detroit has.

I've never wanted out of something or someplace more than this. Sometimes I just wake up dreading another day alive in this place. I was never like this when I was younger because I ignored the racism, but now that I'm stepping in the real world, Saint Louis is no place for blacks and other minorities.

I'll keep wearing my Giants and 49ers hats just to piss these die hard baseball and football fans off.

Must I watch this nonsense to find out the answer to this question: Where were these protesters and what were they doing?

I ask because I read something about ferguson protesters performing an 'act of civil disobedience" called "Shut it down for Mike Brown" at a symphony in Philly.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/attytood/Shut-it-down-for-Mike-Brown.html#4WqzcVxYjZxQvC3V.01

So extrapolating from that, did a group of these individuals try to interrupt a baseball game?

That sounds like a question that a Fox news anchor would ask. Jesus.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Yeah, cardinal fans are all scum. I would never generalize a whole group of people, fuck all of them.

Must I watch this nonsense to find out the answer to this question: Where were these protesters and what were they doing?

Nope, you can just read the first two sentences of the article.

This guy right here, the one with "I am Darren Wilson" taped onto the back of his Cardinals jersey—an homage to the Ferguson, Mo., police officer who shot an unarmed teenager named Mike Brown to death in August—was at the Cardinals game last night. He, along with many other Cardinals fans, clashed with a small group of protesters who want to see Wilson prosecuted. The guy in the Darren Wilson jersey wasn't even the worst part.

The gift that keeps on giving..

Yeah, cardinal fans are all scum. I would never generalize a whole group of people, fuck all of them.

iboFbtv3IM5UfY.gif

Dash27

Interrupt it by demonstrating outside of the stadium?

Are you honestly fishing for a reason why the protesters deserved the treatment they got?

Uh oh, questioning detected... deploy countermeasures.

Yes Gentleman Jack. Interrupt it. Typically when people are so blatantly overtly racist and obnoxious there's some kind of nonsense going on and I'm curious as to what.

Anyway sounds like they are saying "We'll shut the shit down" in the beginning at one point. I can't really make it out. But seemed like another version of the symphony thing in St Louis I linked. Although in that case I think they just did something at intermission and left quietly.

Yes Gentleman Jack. Interrupt it. Typically when people are so blatantly overtly racist and obnoxious there's some kind of nonsense going on and I'm curious as to what.

Anyway sounds like they are saying "We'll shut the shit down" in the beginning at one point. I can't really make it out. But seemed like another version of the symphony thing in St Louis I linked. Although in that case I think they just did something at intermission and left quietly.

Doesn't really matter. People were a bunch of racist fucks, and there's never a reason or excuse to act that way or say things like that.

Typically when people are so blatantly overtly racist and obnoxious there's some kind of nonsense going on and I'm curious as to what.

Because alcohol, pre-existing racist beliefs and a mob mentality isn't the most obvious answer? These uppity protesters had to go and entrap these fine, white sporting enthusiasts into saying those horrible things?

Don't worry I'm sure you'll probe the real facts of this pulse-pounding mystery.

Stet

Banned

The point is that it doesn't matter if they interrupt one stupid leisurely part of your life because their lives are interrupted on a daily basis. If you value a game or a symphony so much that a delay will cause you terrible distress, you literally do not have the capacity to understand the situation they face.

blakep267

What's with the get jobs stuff from some groups of angry white people. One minute they yell " you need to get jobs" other times they complain when immigrants " take er jobs".

Anyway is that the best they could come up with? If they chanted you need to get iPhone 6's. I'd feel some type of way

That's my comedy bit. Don't bite my head off

Typically when people are so blatantly overtly racist and obnoxious there's some kind of nonsense going on and I'm curious as to what.

I want to live where you live. I've had beer bottles and nappy words thrown at me for just walking down the street..because I'm some kind of nonsense, me thinks.

Branduil

Eh, I'm usually a fan of the deadspin articles surrounding the Cardinals. They take it upon themselves to constantly run stories bashing the fanbase, team, etc. because the owner of Deadspin is a big Cardinals fan, so the writers take it upon themselves to run articles against the Cards as kind of a tongue in cheek (BFIB, "the Right Way" etc.) As a Cards fan, I think these articles are entertaining.

But this is a little excessive. Yeah, these people who are defending Darren Wilson are clearly in the wrong, but this is a hot button issue and it clearly is stepping over the line IMO.

How dare deadspin point out the awful behavior of these Cardinals fans.

I want to live where you live. I've had beer bottles and nappy words thrown at me for just walking down the street..because I'm some kind of nonsense, me thinks.

Were you playing the loud rap music and have the sagging pants with rap cars, by any chance? I'm just wondering if there was any intent on your part to listen to music or drive through their peaceful neighborhood.
I'm sorry

Dabanton

It's frightening what bubbles under the surface of a lot of people just waiting to come to the fore especially in racial situations.

At about 10:25 a small blonde lady starts yelling at the protesters: "We're the ones who gave all y'all the freedoms that you have!"

At 16:43, a female Cardinals fan begins chanting "Africa! Africa! Africa!" at the protesters.

BFIB

Why chant "Africa!" in the first place?

If your going to be racist, at least make a better effort.

Odoul

"We're the ones who gave y'all the freedoms you have!"

...who the fuck is "we're"?

That and screeching about the flag being upside down because loved ones died in combat (I'm assuming that's what happened and that it's even the truth).

The simultaneous display of arrogance/superiority while playing the victim role, it's truly something to behold.

Were you playing the loud rap music and have the sagging pants with rap cars, by any chance? I'm just wondering if there was any intent on your part to listen to music or drive through their peaceful neighborhood.
I'm sorry
Nope..just your typical WWB moments..used to happen quite often. These things tend to happen when there's a section of the community that have their Duke boys flag showing proudly.

"We're the ones who gave y'all the freedoms you have!"

...who the fuck is "we're"?

well, see, God gave the white man his rights, and then the white man had to give those rights to everyone else as he saw fit. in a grand act of kindness, the white people of America gave black people rights, and it was Good.

Skab

Oh, great, now every Cardinals fan/resident of St. Louis out there will get lumped in with this crowd.

Sigh.

You're right. reporting on things like this is just too much. I know I like my news to be totally censored.

Phil S.

Banned
Oh, great, now every Cardinals fan/resident of St. Louis out there will get lumped in with this crowd.

Sigh.

Yeah, I don't find that very fair, but regardless, this is a disgusting incident in a town with a history of racial issues.

You're right. reporting on things like this is just too much. I know I like my news to be totally censored.
come on dude. it's one thing to report silly little things.

but this story is important, topical, and it makes cardinals fans look really, really bad. is that really what we want the news covering?

lol

JABEE

People love finding an excuse to shit on Philadelphia fans. Racist shit-heads in St. Louis seem to have some connection to drunk Eagles fans in the 1960s. You have to go back close to 50 years to come up with an example. I'm sure there weren't a lot of shittier things to point at happening in the 60s in your hometown.

Sports fans acting as a mob is a sad byproduct of tribalism, alcohol, and large public gatherings.

Dash27

Because alcohol, pre-existing racist beliefs and a mob mentality isn't the most obvious answer? These uppity protesters had to go and entrap these fine, white sporting enthusiasts into saying those horrible things?

Don't worry I'm sure you'll probe the real facts of this pulse-pounding mystery.

Don't let questions scare and enrage you so much Gentleman Jack. Try and grow past that stage. I understand that in the low level political arguments the battle lines are clearly laid out and you're taught to stake your ground and fight any dissent but maybe evolve just a touch.

Some sports fans say shitty things to annoying protesters, not a big mystery at all.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
The fans were being assholes, but these protestors are just runing the game for everyone and everyone that lives in this area, is tired of it. I remember a few weeks back they were asking for tickets so they could get into a Rams game in order to protest.

Mesousa

Banned
The fans were being assholes, but these protestors are just runing the game for everyone and everyone that lives in this area, is tired of it. I remember a few weeks back they were asking for tickets so they could get into a Rams game in order to protest.

They need to have their games ruined. Get all these distractions out of the way so people can take care of the true issues in that city.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

I mean, I know if someone ruins a game I'm there to enjoy, I just start spouting nasty racist shit at them. Who doesn't??

Yeah... I don't get why these protesters can't just stay in Ferguson, where they can be easily ignored.

Don't let questions scare and enrage you so much Gentleman Jack. Try and grow past that stage. I understand that in the low level political arguments the battle lines are clearly laid out and you're taught to stake your ground and fight any dissent but maybe evolve just a touch.

Some sports fans say shitty things to annoying protesters, not a big mystery at all.

What I'm seeing here is a demonstration of the Anything Goes Alex Jones/Glenn Beck Dojo of Just Asking Questions, and then a rapid retreat into 'boys will be boys' by someone trying to run an end around some blatant, naked racism hurled at an easy target.

Right..and some ______ say racist things because they're racist. These folks are being racist, right? Is your definition a little different? Actually quite curious.

Dash27

Me too, depending on what nappy words means, but a bottle was thrown once. The shitty comment was a couple of times by random kids when i was younger.

Point stands though tat a crowd doesn't usually start racial chants and argue out of nowhere. Fortunately. Please form an orderly line to strawman this comment into "So you're saying they deserved it?"

Still, come to Montclair NJ Alf, we're diverse almost to a fault and there's lots of cats for you.

People in this topic should stop jumping to conclusions.

Both sides have should accept some of the blame; we don't know all the facts. For all we know, there is another video out there that shows the protesters antagonising the Cardinals fans first at starting the whole thing (I assume this is the case). We should reserve judgement if we are to be wise and not savage.

It's important to keep calm and not inflame social tensions, it's often true that pulling the race card escalates situations and makes the risk of violence worse. I would gladly move on from racism forever, but doing so is made much harder when people keep pointing it out.

There must have been some reason the sports fans made those comments. Perhaps they were provoked, feeling threatened by the visible presence of weaponry amongst the mob (e.g. shivs, glocks, glares)? It's hard to say from the video, I can't see anything like that, but it certainly seems possible doesn't it?

Otherwise we are asserting that videos can be evidence of something, which sounds rather prejudiced to me. Ironic, no?

Camp Lo

Banned

Both sides have should accept some of the blame; we don't know all the facts. For all we know, there is another video out there that shows the protesters antagonising the Cardinals fans first at starting the whole thing (I assume this is the case). We should reserve judgement if we are to be wise and not savage.

It's important to keep calm and not inflame social tensions, it's often true that pulling the race card escalates situations and makes the risk of violence worse. I would gladly move on from racism forever, but doing so is made much harder when people keep pointing it out.

There must have been some reason the sports fans made those comments. Perhaps they were provoked, feeling threatened by the visible presence of weaponry amongst the mob (e.g. shivs, glocks, glares)? It's hard to say from the video, I can't see anything like that, but it certainly seems possible doesn't it?

Otherwise we are asserting that videos can be evidence of something, which sounds rather prejudiced to me. Ironic, no?

Please tell me this guy's joking. It's hard to tell personally.

Not sure if serious.

Edit: Seems I was getting got. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom