• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Cardinals Fans Get Ugly In Clash With Ferguson Protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opiate

You're right. reporting on things like this is just too much. I know I like my news to be totally censored.

I'm fine with this article, but surely you can see we aren't talking about censorship here in the traditional sense. We don't want to censor news because it's provocative or because it's taboo, but we do want to ignore news if it's irrelevant or needlessly inflammatory.

Think of all those stories of "some random conservative person says something racist." If that conservative person happens to be important, then by all means, run that news story. But if the conservative person is, I don't know, a guy at a town hall meeting, then we should ask whether this represents real news, or if it's just appealing to a specific narrative. I think there are many news stories which exist purely as clickbait, to play in to the notion that conservatives are all racist and here's another story to prove it.

Similarly, I could run a story about a random black man assaulting or killing a white woman every single time that happens. It's probably a near daily occurrence; there are a huge number of murders and assaults in the US. Technically those are real things that are actually happening, but I think we'd all agree most of those occurrences are irrelevant and that special focus on them would represent a deliberate attempt to frame the racial debate in a particular way.

I think the argument could be made that this article represents "stupid things people do when they're drunk at sports games," and thus isn't any more relevant than an article showing some guys getting in a bar fight. I think Ferguson deserves special attention, however, and most importantly I hold lower standards for a sports website, so I think this story is entirely appropriate. I'm just making it clear that the censorship we're talking about here isn't the normal "these ideas must be silenced" kind but the "this story is completely irrelevant and is just being reported on for clickbait" kind.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Still, come to Montclair NJ Alf, we're diverse almost to a fault and there's lots of cats for you.

I'm in Bloomfield. I can vouch for that diversity--save that Montclair is considered "upscale" in comparison. Love gawking at some of the houses/mansions whenever our fam drives to the library.

Edit:

Oblong is just fucking around, guys.

Me too, depending on what nappy words means, but a bottle was thrown once. The shitty comment was a couple of times by random kids when i was younger.

Point stands though tat a crowd doesn't usually start racial chants and argue out of nowhere. Fortunately. Please form an orderly line to strawman this comment into "So you're saying they deserved it?"

Still, come to Montclair NJ Alf, we're diverse almost to a fault and there's lots of cats for you.

Montclair NJ sounds nice..only been to North Bergen. There's no reason for an adult male or female to start making racist comments. I guess we see things different.

Oh, and nappy words were "fuck you nigger monkey." and "black asshole/piece of shit (it varied)." Was just censoring myself, as my day hasn't been that awful, and didn't want to read them words..

depths20XX

People in this topic should stop jumping to conclusions.

Both sides have should accept some of the blame; we don't know all the facts. For all we know, there is another video out there that shows the protesters antagonising the Cardinals fans first at starting the whole thing (I assume this is the case). We should reserve judgement if we are to be wise and not savage.

It's important to keep calm and not inflame social tensions, it's often true that pulling the race card escalates situations and makes the risk of violence worse. I would gladly move on from racism forever, but doing so is made much harder when people keep pointing it out.

There must have been some reason the sports fans made those comments. Perhaps they were provoked, feeling threatened by the visible presence of weaponry amongst the mob (e.g. shivs, glocks, glares)? It's hard to say from the video, I can't see anything like that, but it certainly seems possible doesn't it?

Otherwise we are asserting that videos can be evidence of something, which sounds rather prejudiced to me. Ironic, no?

Laid it on too thick. 2/10

Both sides have should accept some of the blame; we don't know all the facts. For all we know, there is another video out there that shows the protesters antagonising the Cardinals fans first at starting the whole thing (I assume this is the case). We should reserve judgement if we are to be wise and not savage.

It's important to keep calm and not inflame social tensions, it's often true that pulling the race card escalates situations and makes the risk of violence worse. I would gladly move on from racism forever, but doing so is made much harder when people keep pointing it out.

There must have been some reason the sports fans made those comments. Perhaps they were provoked, feeling threatened by the visible presence of weaponry amongst the mob (e.g. shivs, glocks, glares)? It's hard to say from the video, I can't see anything like that, but it certainly seems possible doesn't it?

Otherwise we are asserting that videos can be evidence of something, which sounds rather prejudiced to me. Ironic, no?
The master..

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
The fans were being assholes, but these protestors are just runing the game for everyone and everyone that lives in this area, is tired of it. I remember a few weeks back they were asking for tickets so they could get into a Rams game in order to protest.
Protestors are tired of being used for target practice. Suck it up, princess.

BFIB

The fans were being assholes, but these protestors are just runing the game for everyone and everyone that lives in this area, is tired of it. I remember a few weeks back they were asking for tickets so they could get into a Rams game in order to protest.

I don't see a problem with this. At least then there'd be people in the dome for a Rams game.

JDSN

Banned
Are you sure this is about racism? Maybe they are trying to raise Ebola awareness by bringing up Africa.

I think I'm just gonna stay here on the west coast.

The rest of this country scares the shit out of me.

Yeah the west coast only had Oscar Grant, Kendrec McDade, Andy Lopez, Aaron Campbell, Keaton Otis, Kendra James, and James Jahar Perez die at the hands of cops. I'm sure there were no racists who came out to support the police any of those times.

jmood88

Lol at you starting off with the bullshit "both sides are to blame" argument, then ending with "well, the Cardinals fans must've been provoked" and pulling reasons out of your ass for why they could feel threatened. If you're going to defend this nonsense, at least be consistent.

Edit: damn you

BFIB

Not a good look for those Cardinal's fans. They should be ashamed and embarrassed to be seen acting that way.

Yeah!

moran.png

You have to understand, guys.

It's Sports. You can do your stupid ass meaningless protests anywhere else, at any time, but don't you DARE mess with sports.

I would say I'm embarassed and or outraged, but this is so old hat at this point it's starting to feel like an "And water is wet" conversation. Racist shitlords will use any excuse they can find to be racist shitlords. It's so deeply inside of themselves, they can't help it.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
At 9:05 one of the Cardinals fans starts telling one of the protesters that if he ever "saw him in the street" he would "look at the ground." They argue for a bit about who would and would not whip whose ass.
Yeah, I laughed at this one.

commedieu

Banned
Just as a heads up... the west coast is no better.

Had 2 cop cars roll up on me and a friend to ask if he was ok. We were laughing as I was showing him some silat moves I learned. Within minutes someone must have called the cops, and I told Pete to vouch for me. He said it was nice to know that if a black man ever touches him, 2 police squad cars will immediately show up. They didn't even talk to me.

And, Im down the street from where the black dude was busted in front of the bank because of reasons. Also, #LAPD.

I'm fine with this article, but surely you can see we aren't talking about censorship here in the traditional sense. We don't want to censor news because it's provocative or because it's taboo, but we do want to ignore news if it's irrelevant or needlessly inflammatory.

Think of all those stories of "some random conservative person says something racist." If that conservative person happens to be important, then by all means, run that news story. But if the conservative person is, I don't know, a guy at a town hall meeting, then we should ask whether this represents real news, or if it's just appealing to a specific narrative. I think there are many news stories which exist purely as clickbait, to play in to the notion that conservatives are all racist and here's another story to prove it.

Similarly, I could run a story about a random black man assaulting or killing a white woman every single time that happens. It's probably a near daily occurrence; there are a huge number of murders and assaults in the US. Technically those are real things that are actually happening, but I think we'd all agree most of those occurrences are irrelevant and that special focus on them would represent a deliberate attempt to frame the racial debate uin a particular way. a

I think the argument could be made that this article represents "stupid things people do when they're drunk at sports games," and thus isn't any more relevant than an article showing some guys getting in a bar fight. I think Ferguson deserves special attention, however, and most importantly I hold lower standards for a sports website, so I think this story is entirely appropriate. I'm just making it clear that the censorship we're talking about here isn't the normal "these ideas must be silenced" kind but the "this story is completely irrelevant and is just being reported on for clickbait" kind.

using mobile:

It's deadspin not WSJ. They have articles like this all.the time. The poster, a deadspin reader, said he didnt think they should have run this because its too much of a hot button issue. He was of course fine with all their other "click bait" articles.

His problem wasnt that it wasnt news worthy. His problem was that its a sensitove issue.

edit: he said this article was " stepping over the line"... its certainly no

Opiate

I think I'm just gonna stay here on the west coast.

The rest of this country scares the shit out of me.

So I'm going to get serious here for a moment. Studies have shown that population density -- not north/south division -- correlate most strongly with racist views. One of the most popular explanations for this is that it's easy to think of other races as cartoonishly evil when the only exposure you have to them are news articles. Here's yet another black man going to jail; here's yet another middle easterner trying to detonate a bomb. If a white person doesn't have a good number of Arab Americans or African Americans around him, it's easy to forget that most black people or Arab people are just normal people like he is.

I'm suggesting you're basically doing the same thing; most people in the Midwest or East Coast are very much like you. There are nice people and jerks here. There are intelligent people and dumb people. There are some places which are more affluent and others places which are not, just like the West coast. I grew up in a loving home in the Midwest with lots of intelligent, compassionate friends. But you don't hear about that, because that's not news; what you hear about are the scary parts, just like we hear about earthquakes and Rodney King riots and Mexican drug trafficking. Just as people find that Black people and Jews and Arabs are just other people when they meet them, I suspect you'd find that other places are very much like your home town if you actually lived there, and I'd find the same if I lived where you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom