• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Finalized Switch Details (720p Screen, Up to 1080p output on TV, etc.)

Gutek

Is GAF stupid right now? Dude you people need to calm down.

Seriously, there's people in here asking for a 500GB portable/home hybrid... The most storage I've seen is an iPhone and it's 256 only.

SD's are cheap, casual people have phones that require microSD or SDHC or XC, they will handle it and buy it.

People need to really stop crying at the fact that the console has 32GB. IT'S NOT A PS4 or XBONE.

You know they could just pack in a SD card?

d00d3n

No Ethernet port? I am cry. Unless the dock has extra attenas built in, we'll probably see worse Wi-Fi performance when it's docked. Boo

It is possible that they release some kind of usb3 to ethernet peripheral I guess ... You may want to use the usb3 for a hard drive, though ...

IT'S A PORTABLE CONSOLE

It isn't a PS4 or Xbone. How many times people have to tell you that?

What's your point? We don't even need to bring up the PS4 or Xbone, 32GB wasn't even enough for the WII U, so how is it going to be enough for a console that has even more power?

5nJKzZ9.png

aOW3mR1.png

The dock doesn't have much mystery in it.

I want to believe for $90 there'd be more than a hub.

Santiako

It is possible that they release some kind of usb3 to ethernet peripheral I guess ... You may want to use the usb3 for a hard drive, though ...

I doubt that they let you use USB storage, that would cause problems when you undock the thing.

Neoxon

edit: The below I redact, it looks like that third port is 3.0

Ahh yes, modern USB-C connector, then usb 2.0 outputs. Fantastic.

Why.

(You'd want 3.0 for external harddrives, which I understand it may not support, but 3.0 still does faster charging. and yes, I realize that many things dont have them, including high end PCs and the PS4/Xbox, but its weird then to do the USB C.)
There's one 3.0 port in the back, just as Emily Rogers reported.

The Argus

Does it even have USB 3.0? The dock pic just mentions 2.0. Even still, requiring a dongle like the Wii U is silly.

Tigress

Like ps4?

The only thing extra I bought for my ps4 was a controller. ive been using it for years and not felt I needed to buy more. Would be nice to have a bigger hard drive (at 500 I have run into having to figure out what games to keep on it) but I can manage without. And that is with a 500 gb hard drive. I can't imagine what it will be like with a 32 fb. Gta v is almost double that! Most of my bigger games are around that for one game. Oh, and I am a big believer in physical games so this is even without a full digital library.

All this sucks, yes I agree, but in their defence, remember how small Nintendo games are:

NSMBU: 1.69GB
SMW3D: 1.7GB
Nintendoland: 2GB
ZombiU: 5.5GB
Pikmin 3: 6GB

But then Xenoblade Chronicles X with texture pack is like 44GB...

TriAceJP

32GB is really concerning. MicroSDs go to 128GB for about $40, with larger ones costing too much to justify.

Games on the Wii U average 10-25GB. Assuming you are an All Digital Future person, you can only get maybe 5-8 games on there at once. With data caps sweeping this great land, having to delete games to make room and re-downloading them later is very troublesome.

Since Nintendo does like to ship complete products, and DLC not being crazy, you can live off of these sizes comfortably if you are going Route: Card.

I was hoping to go more digital with the Switch since I hate carrying those tiny and easily lost cards around, but I can't justify it. It's the Vita all over again.

All this sucks, yes I agree, but in their defence, remember how small Nintendo games are:

NSMBU: 1.69GB
SMW3D: 1.7GB
Nintendoland: 2GB
ZombiU: 5.5GB
Pikmin 3: 6GB

But then Xenoblade Chronicles X with texture pack is like 44GB...

Most games are over 5GB.

Is GAF stupid right now? Dude you people need to calm down.

Seriously, there's people in here asking for a 500GB portable/home hybrid... The most storage I've seen is an iPhone and it's 256 only.

SD's are cheap, casual people have phones that require microSD or SDHC or XC, they will handle it and buy it.

People need to really stop crying at the fact that the console has 32GB. IT'S NOT A PS4 or XBONE.

Everything adds up in cost man..

70-80 dollar controllers, guaranteed extra memory($100) required for storage

Mashing

Interesting, hopefully other specs from the leak turn out to be true as well.

Lots of stuff in that rumor that did actually turn out to be the case. The stuff about the joycons shoulder buttons being labeled SL and SR. How would they know that kind of detail if they didn't have a system in hand? It will be interesting to tell.

Koyuga

Switch having 32gb of internal storage is pretty unimportant since it supports micro sd cards. Nice to finally get confirmation on the screen, though. Resistive touch screens need to die forever, good riddance to poor quality DS and 3DS screens.

daffy

Banned
So how do you charge the Joy Cons without the charging grip? I guess they only need battery when not attached to the console or the normal grip?

rokkerkory

Nintendo spent the money on making system a hybrid instead of power. I give them props for taking a huge risk so we'll see if it pans out.

Part of me want the n64 or even snes nintendo back where power was key.

The biggest low is the battery life for me 2.5 hrs on the low end is bad. Not sure if battery life increases can be done.

Price is tad high but price drops can happen. Games are kinda lacking but more games can be made.

Paid online sucks but even Nintendo realizes $ is there.

Tigress

I think we're all aware now that the console is gonna be garbage in terms of 3rd party support. Again. This is getting tiring.

Well then Nintendo is fooling themselves to price it as high as the other two consoles when it won't have third party support. I've said it before, I'll say it again, Nintendo needs to either prove it cheap enough to be justifiable as a second/supplementary console or be able to attract third parties too if they want to be priced the same as the other two. By pricing it similarity as the other two they have made it so they are competing with them.

Why would you buy a console that gets far less games (they cannot compete for having near as diverse and large a library without third parties) when the other two get all the third parties plus exclusives of their own? Sure, it gets Nintendo games but wii u already proved there aren't enough die hard Nintendo fans willing to pay double (Nintendo console plus other console both at similar prices) just to get a device to play the Nintendo games as well as third party games (or who only want Nintendo games).

Jeramii

Banned
I'm happy with everything they've said. Online SNES and NES games was an exciting surprise. Portable device with good enough battery life to last an average domestic flight. Upgradable storage with standard storage technologies (and not some proprietary shit like Sony pulls on the Vita). There is quite a bit packed in there for something priced like a mid-grade tablet. I can't wait for my pre-order to be fulfilled.

If I want fancy graphics I'll stick with my PS4 Pro and my PC. Can't take either of those on the go, let alone play them on an airplane.

I don't recall people flipping out over New 3DS XL pricing at launch (which is still over $250 on an average day).

KampferZeon

Neo Member
People complaining about SD cards??? Don't you already have a few laying around you can use???

SD cards are not the same as SSD
Your typical SD cards are designed for sequential memory stuff like audio and video.
typically speeds are : average sequential read speed ( 60m/s ) , bad sequential write ( 10 m/s) and very terrible random read / write

More expensive cards offer better performance.
for a sequential RW ( 90m / 40m ) , price would be 1.5 times of the slower card.

still it doesn't guarantee acceptable random read / write speed. For the you need something like the newly approved A1 class SD card. they are very new and comes with min 256gGB, pricing will be terrible

Notice iPhone always provide large internal memory instead of SD card support

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The storage roadblocks speaks volumes to the limited software support from third parties. Nintendo has moved to more universal hardware architecture but the limits of the hardware itself stand contrary to how games are made. Very often games are connected to the internet as a lifeline for major patches and there is simply not enough space to work with on the Switch when it comes to that. MicroSD is not a solution when you cannot guarantee that players have this additional space.

....hopefully these configurations and specs don't matter too much and people buy it despite this.....

The fact that there's this possibility of this thing Wii U-ing.....

Top Bottom