• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Finalized Switch Details (720p Screen, Up to 1080p output on TV, etc.)

d00d3n

Lots of stuff in that rumor that did actually turn out to be the case. The stuff about the joycons shoulder buttons being labeled SL and SR. How would they know that kind of detail if they didn't have a system in hand? It will be interesting to tell.

Yeah, they got a lot of detailed/difficult stuff right. Was the rumor that the Switch is super gimped in mobile mode (due to low clock frequency on the GPU core) based on the specs in the foxconn leak, or did they assume lower specs?

Gaspard

Why are people complaining about storage again? Call me when the PS4 and XB1 use flash storage and are the size of an iPad mini if you want to do comparisons.

Other than that the USB Type-C is nice to see confirmed and 720 portable while 1080 dock was expected.

5nJKzZ9.png

aOW3mR1.png

The dock doesn't have much mystery in it.

Theres an accessory if you want an ethernet port. third party leak from hori a few days ago

55825_12_nintendo-switch-accessories-leaked_full.jpg

OK... so a new LAN adapter, hopefully with updated speeds. Still doesn't solve the problem of not being the default option. That's some grubby ass shit.

Eila

Storage capacity is pitiful but I guess you won't need to install the games at all other than updates so it should be enough with an SD card. It'll probably discourage 9000 GB day one potches like on the other two consoles.

Why are people complaining about storage again? Call me when the PS4 and XB1 use flash storage and are the size of an iPad mini if you want to do comparisons.

Other than that the USB Type-C is nice to see confirmed and 720 portable while 1080 dock was expected.

It's almost as if people download their games on their system these days.

joeposh

Pardon my ignorance, but would it be possible to install patches directly to the game cards in some instances -- or is write functionality like that typically disabled? Obviously leaving room for patches would mean extra cart costs for developers, but I'm curious whether it's even possible.

prwxv3

Storage capacity is pitiful but I guess you won't need to install the games at all other than updates so it should be enough with an SD card. It'll probably discourage 9000 GB day one potches like on the other two consoles.

It's going to discourage ports period.

n0razi

Pardon my ignorance, but would it be possible to install patches directly to the game cards in some instances -- or is write functionality like that typically disabled? Obviously leaving room for patches would mean extra cart costs for developers, but I'm curious whether it's even possible.

Technically yes but realistically no as RW capable nand is exponentially more expensive

Bishop89

Yeh why would i want to have 500+ gig of games on my console.
The 1 game will be enough for me.

You'll notice on your TV, though. Most games aren't going to run at 1080 just because it is theoretically possible.

I saw a lot of jaggies today.

from previous page. undocked direct feed footage

Super Mario Odyssey - 720p, 60FPS (no AA)
ARMS - 720p, 60FPS (heavy temporal AA - looks like a UE4 game with it's own overly-aggressive TAA solution)
Splatoon 2 - 720p, 60FPS (no AA)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 1080p, 60FPS (no AA)
Fire Emblem Warriors (short game visual snippet shown) - 1080p, 30FPS (light post process AA)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 720p, 30FPS (heavy post AA)
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 720p, 30FPS (heavy post AA used)
Super Bomberman R - 1080p, 60FPS (post AA)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 1080p, 30FPS (post AA used)*
Shin-Megami Tensei - 1920x540 (horizontal interlacing used), 60FPS

RibMan

Out of all of that info, the screen resolution is the deal breaker. $300 for 720p in 2017 isn't a good value, at all, to me. The battery life is as bad as expected, but to be honest, I expect them to improve this in a later revision. It can only get better right?

Wii U didn't have one, no surprise this doesn't. But yeah, it is annoying to not have a native port.
I was already blown outof my mind in 2014 when i bought a wii u and there wasng a port. I spent 5minutes looking for one till i searched online. Ninendo some motherfuckers man

defferoo

Out of all of that info, the screen resolution is the deal breaker. $300 for 720p in 2017 isn't a good value, at all, to me. The battery life is as bad as expected, but to be honest, I expect them to improve this in a later revision. It can only get better right?

seriously? you want them to make the screen 1080p and upscale games from 720p in handheld mode? gross. or the alternative is use a 1080p screen and render at 1080p. great, so short battery life just got shorter, everything runs hotter, and it's more expensive than it already is. no thank you.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Very unimpressed that a machine touted as a next gen portable can not even manage a 1080p screen. My phone from like 6 years ago has that.

You must be a time traveler because the first 720p phone (Galaxy Nexus) came out a little over 5 years ago.

Some ppl are saying what's the issue since expandable memory doesn't cost much has me thinking if that's the case why not include a 256 memory card ?

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible the game carts have storage space on them? That way you can download a game update or DLC to the cart and not the internal storage.

These posts are hilarious. "Legitimate criticism for some horrible launch and design/price decisions?!?! Sarcasm will combat that!"

The point is that people expected things that are more or less impossible with current tech. Not every criticism falls under that, and there are plenty of valid criticisms floating around, but the sarcasm is directed at those impossible expectations specifically.

Apathy

The point is that people expected things that are more or less impossible with current tech. Not every criticism falls under that, and there are plenty of valid criticisms floating around, but the sarcasm is directed at those impossible expectations specifically.

having more than 32gb of storage is not impossible with current technology.

Top Bottom