• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some New Fire Emblem If details (new objective types, DLC difficulty, more)

NeonZ

Nohr really sounds like a return to form for the series. Really excited for that. Honestly I wish they would just phase out the FE-lite style of Awakening and Hoshido.

That being said I wonder if you can crank up the difficulty in the Hoshido side to be similar to Nohr.

There probably will be multiple difficulty modes that just change enemy stats and maybe skills like in Awakening. If they fix Awakening's main balance issues (fixing the dual guard/attack mechanics, nosferatu and no early game veteran) even that side could have some challenge. Of course, Norh still will be more challenging in the harder difficulties due to the other objectives and map design.

I like the split story, but I hate having to make three purchases to get everything. I hope the European release lets us buy a bundle.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
lol saw this
tumblr_nm7kmzJX0H1rgjymzo1_1280.jpg

Despera

Banned
I could smell this post all the way from the GTA V PC thread, it stinks that bad.

No, you're 'expected' to pay full price for a full game and then extra for nearly an entire games worth of extra content, if you feel so inclined.

You people will twist everything stated so far into knots to justify your sentiments. Its asinine.
Very mature of you. Some people will always bend over and accept whatever new bullshit's thrown their way. Sorry, but I don't operate like that.

I didn't say I will boycott the game and the people behind it, but that I will get the full content for the regular full price of a retail 3DS title. It's not the first time we had 2 separate campaigns in a single game, but to cut out one of them and offer it as DLC is not what I'd consider good practice, unless of course the main game is offered at a discounted price from the get go.

SoldnerKei

good, Norh all the way, not only because best girl is there, but seems like it'll be more fun

also, I hope you can change the look of Kamui, not really diggin his defualt look, Robin looks way better even on default

McNum

good, Norh all the way, not only because best girl is there, but seems like it'll be more fun

also, I hope you can change the look of Kamui, not really diggin his defualt look, Robin looks way better even on default
You can. Several screenshots have shown different looks for Kamui. Hopefully you can change him/her more than in Awakening. Robin was a good start. More, please.

NeonZ

I didn't say I will boycott the game and the people behind it, but that I will get the full content for the regular full price of a retail 3DS title. It's not the first time we had 2 separate campaigns in a single game, but to cut out one of them and offer it as DLC is not what I'd consider good practice, unless of course the main game is offered at a discounted price from the get go.

This isn't nearly comparable to Hector/Eliwood and Ephraim/Eirika though. You aren't just changing the main lord and getting a couple of extra chapters out of that. The entire story changes after the split, with the only shared chapters being those first 6 (although it's true they can still reuse some maps for battles with the two different factions).

This isn't nearly comparable to Hector/Eliwood and Ephraim/Eirika though. You aren't just changing the main lord and getting a couple of extra chapters out of that. The entire story changes after the split, with the only shared chapters being those first 6 (although it's true they can still reuse some maps for battles with the two different factions).

Fire Emblem Gaiden. Well you don't choose, but you have 2 paths that needs to be played.

Despera

Banned
I wasn't talking exclusively about FE in regard to separate campaigns.

Another thought for the confusing the DLC pie. Fantasy Life. Now in Japan this game had two versions. The later version Fantasy Life Link added online multiplayer and new content. It was either buy a retail SKU or spend about 2000 yen on DLC (that is the FE campaign price funnily enough)

The western versions of Fantasy Life you have to pay for the Link content (something I disagree with
as I view the game like Bravely Default where the west got the upgraded version for free and Japan could choose separate SKU/spend money on upgrade and Fantasy Life goes as far as to segregate online players who don't own the DLC, said DLC is a fucking unlock key but that is not why I bought this up hence the spoiler
) and the price was not $20 but $9. Now I know Fantasy Life is level 5 but Nintendo were the ones who published it (at least in Europe...).

tl;dr. It could be $9 for the other side of the story. All we know is they did not specifically outline 2 SKUs in the English direct (though did show both logos) implying Nintendo are still undecided about what to do here.

Fire Emblem Gaiden. Well you don't choose, but you have 2 paths that needs to be played.
The thing I liked with Gaiden was just how different the two small armies were (the total playable cast is on par with Sacred stones). While both armies had access to units of the same classes (for the most part) the quantity was different.

I would expect If to retain that sort of thing.

Nohr has more complex maps. Besides the usual "defeat all of the enemies"/"defeat the general" maps, there will also be suppression, breakthroughs, defending bases, turn restrictions, amongst others. There are lots of map gimmicks. (We've already seen dragon's vein.)

fc5ZB6U.jpg

Meffer

Really? I can definitely see them pricing for more, but $40 would be nice.
Even though Awakening was successful here, it's still a fairly niche series and the next game being a higher price than normal alienate potentially new players in the series outside of Japan.

Still getting all 3 routes but its such a confusing way to do it. Wouldnt it have been easier if you made your decision when you decide which game to purchase, instead of deciding at chapter 5? That way you're literally buying two different games instead of having one side locked after your choice no matter which version you buy.

Or am I not understanding it?

Either way looks like I'll be doing Hoshido > Nohr > 3rd Route. They're hyping up Nohr so much so I'm really looking forward to it. I loved FE:A so I dont mind a similar experience either.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Still getting all 3 routes but its such a confusing way to do it. Wouldnt it have been easier if you made your decision when you decide which game to purchase, instead of deciding at chapter 5? That way you're literally buying two different games instead of having one side locked after your choice no matter which version you buy.

Or am I not understanding it?
That set up is only for the digital version of the game

Physical Nohr - Nohr route on cart, Hoshido route is DLC
Physical Hoshido - Hoshido route on cart, Nohr route is DLC

Digital game (one version) - play to chapter 6, make choice for Nohr or Hoshido, connect to Internet to download rest of game, unpicked route is DLC

That set up is only for the digital version of the game

Physical Nohr - Nohr route on cart, Hoshido route is DLC
Physical Hoshido - Hoshido route on cart, Nohr route is DLC

Digital game (one version) - play to chapter 6, make choice for Nohr or Hoshido, connect to Internet to download rest of game, unpicked route is DLC

AH OKAY. Well then that makes much more sense now. Thats not that bad then, if each side is a full sized game.

Kalkano

Banned

Crayolan

The only FE game I've played is Sacred Stones, and the split in this game doesn't sound much different from that. No reason why both paths can't be in the main game.

The difficulty sounds really balanced this time.

The Lunatic+ difficulty in Awakening was practically impossible to beat without using the DLC, so it seems that FE:if will not suffer from similar problems.

Nohr will probably play like Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, which is a good thing! I liked Awakening, but this game has the potential to surpass it.

I really liked the marriage aspect in Awakening, but I wouldn't be devastated if it was gone. A standard support system between specific characters would work fine.

Still not convinced. FE12 had "capture the throne" for almost every chapter, but still had complex level layouts, sub-goals, treasure, recruits, thieves to kill, etc. FE7 had some pretty complex chapters.

Grinding is possible in any FE (boss chipping, arenas), it just depends how easy it is to do. What they need to bring back for challenge/skill is a scoring system.

Aexact

I kinda wanted to do Hoshido first cause it looked so much like the "good guys" playthrough and I always like to do the "good guy" playthrough first. Yeah, they're not the family the main character grew up with but they're dressed in white and have good odds that they don't include evil old kidnappers. All the Nohr info sounds pretty appealing though...

The Fantasy Life and Bravely Default examples are encouraging though I don't know how much of an influence those would have on Fire Emblem, be nice if I didn't need to swap SD cards. Stubbornly (futilely) resisting the digital future!

Fandangox

perhaps there might be a feature to increase difficulty for the 3rd path?

I think they said there will be difficulty settings for all paths, but that doesn't change the core designs. If the Third Path was designed to be in-between difficulty of the other 2, then difficulty settings still wouldn't change stuff like the objectives, map, units available, etc which do still affect difficulty.

jrDev

So I am still confused. There are 2 retail versions for different worlds but if you buy it from eShop you get to play them in bits and pieces and when you get to chapter 5 you can buy the separate story choices? So it's cheaper on eShop?

I think they said there will be difficulty settings for all paths, but that doesn't change the core designs. If the Third Path was designed to be in-between difficulty of the other 2, then difficulty settings still wouldn't change stuff like the objectives, map, units available, etc which do still affect difficulty.

That would make sense. Definitely considering Nohr.

Also, i'd love it if someone translates the page with the new info.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/287/G028791/20150427113/

Looks like the developers cover some interesting details, yet everything's in japanese obviously. lol

_woLf

I'm so excited for this game. It's confirmed that the playable character can be customized by gender and appearance, right?

Pikma

Banned
So if I want to have all 3 routes I'd have to buy one version and the DLC for the other version? buying both physical versions won't work, will it? as dumb as it sounds I'd love to have both games separately, even if I had to pay more, I already double dipped on Awakening so I wouldn't mind it at all.

#TeamNohr all the way.

I'll wait until they confirm level design will be better this time, though. At least, it seemed that way in the trailer: we saw MC creating a stone bridge. That alone made for better design direction than all those outdoors Awakening chapters.

That would make sense. Definitely considering Nohr.

Also, i'd love it if someone translates the page with the new info.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/287/G028791/20150427113/

Looks like the developers cover some interesting details, yet everything's in japanese obviously. lol

You can find translations here:

My favourite bit, from the SF translation (which I wrote, wink):

When this idea was suggested to Higuchi, he liked the idea of choosing between your homeland (Hoshido) and the land that raised you (Nohr), but suggested the idea of a third campaign–the “third path” DLC, which will be released after the game comes out.

At the time, Higuchi jokingly said “why would I choose to tighten my own noose?” (referring to choosing one of the sides, since the other side would naturally consider you an enemy) and “let’s be interesting and not side with either!”
Higuchi is pretty smart.

Junahu

I can totally get on board with Nohr, so long as there's no easy-exp/easy-gold DLC. As selfish as it sounds, I don't want there to be an easy option to grind. It's too tempting when it's there.
I'd also get with Hoshido, just for the base satisfaction of grinding out a stupidly strong party.

I really don't think we're getting two retail versions of Fire Emblem IF though. It just doesn't sound smart, given the scarcity of Fire Emblem games at retail. They'll probably eat the cost and release the special edition at a marketable price.

I think Nintendo will ship the Hoshido version of the game as retail in the west and then sell the rest of the campaigns as DLC.

It will cut down on shipping costs and avoids people "accidentally" buying the harder version of the game.

#teamNohr

I'll grab the digital version so I can base my alliegance post-chapter five on the story rather than difficulty. That said, I don't want to pick the noob story. Curse my pride...

Swamped

Banned
Someone please calm me down. I'm getting unreasonably excited about this 3rd DLC storyline in which you probably don't choose either side. It sounds so good! I wonder what the difficulty of that one is postulated to be.

I am totally on Team Nohr. The objectives sound really fun.

Top Bottom