• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

some new Red Steel screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Amir0x said:
:p

But yeah, I just hope more Wii games end up looking like Mario Galaxy soon. Once we get the nasty 'transition' phase over with.
Yeah, transitioning from gamecube to gamecube turbo is a bitch.

Amir0x

Banned
The Black Brad Pitt said:
Yeah, transitioning from gamecube to gamecube turbo is a bitch.

:lol Bitch, you know what I mean ;)

People just porting shit over. Even with Wii, yup, you need to build something from the ground up to take full advantage of the system :p

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
Amir0x said:
People just porting shit over. Even with Wii, yup, you need to build something from the ground up to take full advantage of the system :p

this is true of any system, and goes to show which developers are out to make a quality product or throw shit against the wall hoping for stickage. all wii games should look like galaxy NOW imo, but yeah everything should be on that graphical level by this time next year, and i can live with that.

I think a big issue here is when devs heard Iwata say 'Wii is not about graphics', they took it to mean 'subpar graphics is just fine'.

We know the Wii can do better than the majority of the stuff we're getting.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Ok lets look at it this way, anyone who has seen this game in motion can you confirm if the Graphics in ANY build you have seen looks better or on Par with lets say.

GUN on XBOX360

gun-20051003104235438.jpg

Perfect Dark Zero 360
perfect-dark-zero-20051123110154037.jpg

Just Cause 360
just-cause-20060914041835071.jpg

The reason Im using these three examples is because #1 there all three 360 games one was a REAL RUSH (GUN), PDZ was a 1st Party Launch TITLE, and Just Cause Just came out this week.

From the screen shots I do not think that the graphics are FAR off and in some cases mabey better than some 360 games that we are paying 59.99 for each. Also movies and screenshots rarely showcase the title like it should be seen, and EVERYONE who haas touched the Wii has stated that it's all about the controller and that can NEVER be felt through screen shots and videos regarldess of how many time they show that guy eating sushi or ducking behind chairs.

Dorfdad said:
From the screen shots I do not think that the graphics are FAR off and in some cases mabey better than some 360 games that we are paying 59.99 for each. Also movies and screenshots rarely showcase the title like it should be seen, and EVERYONE who haas touched the Wii has stated that it's all about the controller and that can NEVER be felt through screen shots and videos regarldess of how many time they show that guy eating sushi or ducking behind chairs.

We know. We know Wii is about the controls (that, and the VC. That's what I want a Wii for).

It's just that several people feel a deep inborn urge to bitch about graphics in every single screenshots thread, which leads to... well, the 150 or so posts in this thread.

Amir0x

Banned
What else are people going to comment on in a screenshot thread?

"So, yeah, how about that motion control huh! Yeah, I hear in this game the wiimote acts like a gun AND a sword!"

"Yeah."

"The possibilities are endless!"

"oh yeah, definitely."

"Think of it!"

"I am."

"..."

You comment on the screenshots, which I'm sorry, don't exist in an alternate reality. Nintendo decided to go this route, and so they must be judged by their "sins" ;)

DefectiveReject said:
Yeah i can see the difference.
\Can you see the difference here?
xboxps3-size-comparison.jpg

What the hell do you expect it to do? MAGIC? look at the size of it compared to the other 2 consoles? We know its not a god damn powerhouse.

holy freaking crap that is aloooooot smaller than i imagined

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
We could comment on the artstyle choices instead of the technical aspects...

Just a thought.

It just doesn't work that way. Just because the system decided to down a different road doesn't get it exempt. Technical aspects contribute plenty to the presentation, just like artstyle.

In any event, it's not like Red Steel has an amazing art style going for it so we'd still end up at the same place.

Amir0x said:
It just doesn't work that way. Just because the system decided to down a different road doesn't get it exempt. Technical aspects contribute plenty to the presentation, just like artstyle.

In any event, it's not like Red Steel has an amazing art style going for it so we'd still end up at the same place.

No, actually, I wasn't singling out Wii screenshot threads in my comment.

CorwinB

Pureauthor said:
We could comment on the artstyle choices instead of the technical aspects...

Just a thought.

Artstyle choices are really in the eye of the beholder, though. Technical aspects should be relatively grounded in reality and objectivity (if not for rabid fanboys or haters on both sides of the fence).

A good artstyle coupled with decent picture quality (AA, filtering, no tearing...) and decent framerate means a lot to me, and can make up for the lack of fancy effects/huge textures/HD... Of course, that stuff coupled with fancy effects/huge textures/HD is even better.

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
No, actually, I wasn't singling out Wii screenshot threads in my comment.

Ok, so then it's the same deal. Both technical and artstyles contribute to the presentation. So in screenshot threads, it's totally acceptable to comment on both. Heck, it's even ok to decide that one aspect is more important to focus on than the other :p

maxmars

Amir0x said:
What else are people going to comment on in a screenshot thread?

I understand what you say, but I don't agree with it.

We are already accustomed to treating different machines differently, e.g. a great PSP screenshot would be probably judged as horrible by the same person if it was a 360 shot.

We do know that Wii is not capable of outputting the same graphics as the other two next gen console, so we should perhaps create a big thread where we all laugh and curse at Nintendo for their tech choices, then move on and calibrate expectations accordingly thereafter. It would help raising a bit the signal-to-noise ratio.

Amir0x

Banned
maxmars said:
I understand what you say, but I don't agree with it.

We are already accustomed to treating different machines differently, e.g. a great PSP screenshot would be probably judged as horrible by the same person if it was a 360 shot.

We do know that Wii is not capable of outputting the same graphics as the other two next gen console, so we should perhaps create a big thread where we all laugh and curse at Nintendo for their tech choices, then move on and calibrate expectations accordingly thereafter. It would help raising a bit the signal-to-noise ratio.

Of course. But Wii IS a console, sharing the same space as 360 and PS3 and hoping to be relevant. PSP and DS are both handhelds, and thus they get compared against each other. Most of us - god, I hope - have already accepted Wii has shitty power. So I know where my expectations should be for Wii, but it doesn't mean that those realistic expectations are pretty. :p

Dorfdad said:
From the screen shots I do not think that the graphics are FAR off and in some cases mabey better than some 360 games that we are paying 59.99 for each.

I keep hearing that 3rd party Wii games will be priced at 59.99 as well. I could be wrong though.

Amir0x

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I keep hearing that 3rd party Wii games will be priced at 59.99 as well. I could be wrong though.

I'm pretty sure you are wrong, i mean just judging but what is there so far Monkeyball and Trauma Center are certainly $49.99

Well, you don't get the kind of shitstorm in DS threads that you do Wii. I should know, I frequent DS threads more often than Wii ones. :)

I'm pretty sure you are wrong, i mean just judging but what is there so far Monkeyball and Trauma Center are certainly $49.99

I'm praying he is wrong.

Pureauthor said:
Well, you don't get the kind of shitstorm in DS threads that you do Wii. I should know, I frequent DS threads more often than Wii ones. :)
You think so? I tend to notice more the opposite. How many times have I seen this thread:

This game looks hot.
That game looks nasty.
It's really good for DS.
That doesn't make it good.
It's good enough.
It looks like a PS1 game.
No, and here are pictures of ugly PS1 games to prove it.
PSP games exist, therefore any DS game looks ugly.
NOOOOOOOOOOO

Amir0x

Banned
well that is true, DS 3D is a ****ing insult to mankind.

but fortunately, DS 2D is great! Mmm, It's a Wonderful World...

Jokeropia

When people talk about "colossal" differences between these Red Steel screens and your typical X360/PS3 game I can't help but to laugh and shake my head. (And I own a 360.)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Pureauthor said:

You couldn't have been there in the pre-launch/early months of the DS's release then! It was carnage.

It will settle down if the Wii carves out it's own space, has some success, and has some undeniably good games, in the same way the DS has. But until then tech crap and constant "It's looks shitty!", "Waggle crap!", "No HD!" is annoying and pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom