• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

some new Red Steel screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foil

The first screenshot with the rain looks like it's from a totally different game. The rest look the same it's always looked.

I wish companies would just post the WYSWYG images. I don't need fluff, i need to see the real deal. Those images are only going to make me wait to see what other gamers say about the graphics, since those images makes me skeptical.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hatorade said:
QFT

I'm really want to see Amusement Vision do another racing game on Wii just to see how much they can top Fzero same could be said for capcom with ReWii. Pretty much if the developer hasn't made a good looking GC don't expect them to suddenly start pulling miracles with the Wii, though THDJ has been looking better.
I also wouldn't expect an amazing first attempt unless they had an amazing first attempt on GC. New hardware always takes some learning to take advantage of, and it's not like developers will be putting next-gen resources into Wii games when X360 and PS3 need it.

red-steel-20060928055012400.jpg

You would think that by now they would at least get better at putting together bullshots, paper cutout enemies are kind of a dead give away.

vasuba

Banned
Below 480p Res Screenshot:
rayman-blog-20060928055142148.jpg

above 480p res Screenshot:
red-steel-20060928055015400.jpg

Those are both available via the blog. They also both look identical even with one below the Wiis resolution capability. The Image Quality is what it is. They simply offered a larger version of it to see all the detail

Low res screen shots are too small. I'd rather have this. Without all the AA touching up of course.

I don't know why we get so little video footage of games. That area with the rain would be much more conincing if they just showed 5 seconds of gameplay rather than a touched up pic.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Look at the Ninja in the shooting screenshot.

Finally, a new enemy firing stance? haha, biggest improvement yet, eh?

consoul

Of course the small shots look good.
They're just the large over-res bullshots downscaled.

Direct feed footage from latest build please.
These screens prove nothing.

MickeyKnox said:
You would think that by now they would at least get better at putting together bullshots, paper cutout enemies are kind of a dead give away.

The video posted earlier looks pretty nice. My one complaint is that the enemy in that shot seems to represent enemies as a whole. There was a sword fight where the player and a glittery-edged cardboard enemy seemed to be fighting on a rotating dolly.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
CabbageRed said:
The video posted earlier looks pretty nice. My one complaint is that the enemy in that shot seems to represent enemies as a whole. There was a sword fight where the player and a glittery-edged cardboard enemy seemed to be fighting on a rotating dolly.

Once you are in a sword battle, I think you are stuck with the battle. You can't move out of it or something.

Mar

Bullshots have been around for as long as gaming. My personal favourite (or most hated, whichever way you look at it) was on the C64. We so often got Amiga screenshots on the back of our games claiming to be actual screens for the C64.

But this one takes the cake. Who knew the C64 could do 24bit graphics in high res?

c64ski.jpg

masud

Banned
Of All Trades said:
It is when your competitors are actually capable of playing games in high res.
Ubi soft is not competing with Sony and MS. they are just trying to make their game look impressive and show off the effects/lighting in the same way developers have done all last gen. We as hard core gamers always know the difference and adjust our expectations. It's not like these are FMV like Madden or Killzone, I really don't see the big deal.

Dante said:
:lol Those are some of the most blatant bullshots I've ever seen.

Where were you when MS was using photoshop for amped??now thats bull, this is just the same thing all developers did for ps2,gc and xbox.....nothing new really.

It has been said to me by many people who are purchasing Wii's, and I feel the same way: This and Zelda are day one must purchases. I will ignore the graphics-age discussion in this thread.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
resized (not resampled) to 480
red-steel.jpg

you guys are right, it looks like crap now!

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
I just want to see an updated trailer in the coming weeks...
Then I can decide to buy it or not.
If it's not that hard, multiplayer footage please!
:)

Grayman

Verano said:
I just want to see an updated trailer in the coming weeks...
Then I can decide to buy it or not.
If it's not that hard, multiplayer footage please!
:)
you mean like split screen multiplayer?

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Its a much more recent pic, and even in the latest batch of shots from the us conference show the characters totally devoid of the lighting they once had.

The self shadowing is no more.

MickeyKnox said:

You would think by now people would know that in the game, enemies do have a sort of aura around them that makes them look somewhat superimposed from a distance.

meh you guys are full of it... so fast to call bullshots even though these screens show nothing that I was not expecting from Wii... they are below X360 and PS3 level graphics so whats so hard to believe?

I can expect this from Wii, seriously I expect more from Wii
I love the art in these and hope we will see more beautiful zen like japanese places

touched up or not don't buy this game unless you can expect art like these

jarosh

The Black Brad Pitt said:
Its a much more recent pic, and even in the latest batch of shots from the us conference show the characters totally devoid of the lighting they once had.

The self shadowing is no more.
red steel never had self shadowing. the pic you posted is from the target render (cg) trailer.

Lapsed

Banned
If these screenshots are true, I honestly can't tell the difference between Wii graphics and the HD graphics of the PS3 or Xbox 360.

But then again, I can't tell any difference from the showcase Xbox 360 and PS3 games and some of the Gamecube games (like Resident Evil 4, the Metroid Primes, hell, even F-Zero GX).

Lapsed said:
If these screenshots are true, I honestly can't tell the difference between Wii graphics and the HD graphics of the PS3 or Xbox 360.

But then again, I can't tell any difference from the showcase Xbox 360 and PS3 games and some of the Gamecube games (like Resident Evil 4, the Metroid Primes, hell, even F-Zero GX).

I understand what you mean and I dont have quarrels with these screens at all. But keep in mind, last time this game was shown the animations weren't quite up to par. I think from what Ive seen, thats really one area, visually, they should strive to perfect. Good animation can sell the visual presentation a long ways... or have an inverse effect and make something that looks beautiful in stills, awkward in motion.

jarosh

Lapsed said:

*sigh*

We need some sort of rule that prevents people from coming into Wii screenshot threads and claiming that it looks similar to 360/PS3 games.

OatmealMu

Lapsed said:

And it's all thanks to displacement mapping, the key to winning next gen.

Lapsed

Banned
Scalemail Ted said:
I understand what you mean and I dont have quarrels with these screens at all. But keep in mind, last time this game was shown the animations weren't quite up to par. I think from what Ive seen, thats really one area, visually, they should strive to perfect. Good animation can sell the visual presentation a long ways... or have an inverse effect and make something that looks beautiful in stills, awkward in motion.

I agree completely with you (which is probably why Oblivion got criticism for its animation). I think its healthy to be suspicious of any screenshot or video before the game is released.

I'm not a fan of pre-release hype. I hate how people get hyped (or the opposite, anti-hype) for something. When a game is out, it is either good or not. We'll just have to see how it ends up.

Pureauthor said:
We need some sort of rule that prevents people from coming into Wii screenshot threads and claiming that it looks similar to 360/PS3 games.

Why? I almost posted how I didn't see anything to get excited about a couple times in the 360/PS3 screenshot/trailer threads. But I figured that would be interpreted as 'trolling' even if it is my genuine thoughts so I stayed quiet.

I'm not the 'hardcore gamer'. Some of the stuff GAF goes crazy over, I do not understand. But I do think the over-sensitivity on the subject is rather odd. Not everyone is a graphic whore. There are many of us like Dragona out there who honestly can't tell much of a difference going on.

I do know that HD TV sales are sluggish at best (no wonder prices keep falling). The HD graphics of Xbox 360 certainly isn't lighting any of the three markets on fire. Most customers seem happy with PS2 games currently.

I wonder if the fear that the mass market won't give much of a care about the crazy polygons and resolutions is at the heart of some of your responses. Most people aren't graphic whores. So what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom