• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

some new Red Steel screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxmars

Pureauthor said:
We need some sort of rule that prevents people from coming into Wii screenshot threads and claiming that it looks similar to 360/PS3 games.

Yeah and we also need the opposite (enough with the OMG N64 GRAPHICS AMIRITE).

Lapsed said:
Why? I almost posted how I didn't see anything to get excited about a couple times in the 360/PS3 screenshot/trailer threads. But I figured that would be interpreted as 'trolling' even if it is my genuine thoughts so I stayed quiet.

I'm not the 'hardcore gamer'. Some of the stuff GAF goes crazy over, I do not understand. But I do think the over-sensitivity on the subject is rather odd. Not everyone is a graphic whore. There are many of us like Dragona out there who honestly can't tell much of a difference going on.

I do know that HD TV sales are sluggish at best (no wonder prices keep falling). The HD graphics of Xbox 360 certainly isn't lighting any of the three markets on fire. Most customers seem happy with PS2 games currently.

I wonder if the fear that the mass market won't give much of a care about the crazy polygons and resolutions is at the heart of some of your responses. Most people aren't graphic whores. So what?

No, see, that's not the issue. I don't care about graphics at all (or at least, not much), but posting stuff like that is just not true.

Red Steel looks massively improved over the E3 build, bullshots or not, but to claim it looks anywhere close to a decent 360 game (visually) is just plain wrong.

I can confirm that those screens aren't touched up. Sure, two of them are obviously not in-game, but I've seen that rain scene running at 60fps, 480p with enemies and explosions, and I've seen that night-time outdoor scene running similarly well.

When it's all moving it does look really impressive.

jarosh

Twilight Rockstar said:
I can confirm that those screens aren't touched up. Sure, two of them are obviously not in-game, but I've seen that rain scene running at 60fps, 480p with enemies and explosions, and I've seen that night-time outdoor scene running similarly well.

with 8xAA and 8xAF amirite?

fresquito

Twilight Rockstar said:

I thought this was 30fps with some dips.

Twilight Rockstar said:

How are the animations looking?

jarosh said:
with 8xAA and 8xAF amirite?

d_836_01.jpg

Batteries Not Included

Pureauthor said:
Red Steel looks massively improved over the E3 build, bullshots or not, but to claim it looks anywhere close to a decent 360 game (visually) is just plain wrong.
Please tell me why you would consider it wrong to believe that those shots don't look close a decent X360 game, because even I'm having a hard time picking the differences between this and a fair chunk of the 360 library.

Maybe they're bullshots, but I think Ubisoft can make Red Steel look that good at 480p.

I'm not used to entering graphics debate, but seriously...

naughty-dog-ps3-project-untitled-20060526040200187.jpg

That's a PS3 game, not a 360 game, but as far as screenshots are concerned, the difference is negligible.

Look at that. Now look at this.

red-steel-20060914092818235.jpg

Please tell me you can see the difference.

Technically, no Wii game can come close to 360/PS3, period.

But the art can go a long way into "deceiving" people that the game somehow measures up to the average looking 360/PS3 title. I know Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy have impressed me visually almost as much as most PS3/360 titles. That's the power of art direction, and Red Steel has some appealing art too.

Monk

Banned
I think you see the most difference in motion, screenshots hide many of the polygon edges and the like. But I think the difference at 480i is less dramatic as in HD.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Mr. Pointy said:
Please tell me why you would consider it wrong to believe that those shots don't look close a decent X360 game, because even I'm having a hard time picking the differences between this and a fair chunk of the 360 library.

Maybe they're bullshots, but I think Ubisoft can make Red Steel look that good at 480p.
I agree man. Its almost as good looking at this game for sure!

riddick_013004_015.jpg

Scalemail Ted said:
How are the animations looking?

d_836_01.jpg

Batteries Not Included

That's something that's still up in the air for me. I've seen some bits that have amazing enemy animations. . . but then I've also seen bits that were decidedly average. I guess we'll know soon enough. The games have to be finished pretty soon so I'm sure you'll see impressions based on final code within the next two to three weeks.

I'm pretty excited about RS though. It started off as a 6 or 7/10 for me but after playing the new build (near-final, not the build that was at the events recently) I'm more hyped about it.

You graphic whore trolls are getting out of hand. I mean you're seriously starting to sound insecure now..."Oh NO teh bullshots that every other console had but I never *****ed about because teh graphics didn't matter until now!!!"

Zoramon089 said:
You graphic whore trolls are getting out of hand. I mean you're seriously starting to sound insecure now..."Oh NO teh bullshots that every other console had but I never *****ed about because teh graphics didn't matter until now!!!"

Screenshot threads bring out the graphic whore in all of us :p

Tchu-Espresso

Zoramon089 said:
You sound angry.

Twilight Rockstar said:
That's something that's still up in the air for me. I've seen some bits that have amazing enemy animations. . . but then I've also seen bits that were decidedly average. I guess we'll know soon enough. The games have to be finished pretty soon so I'm sure you'll see impressions based on final code within the next two to three weeks.

I'm pretty excited about RS though. It started off as a 6 or 7/10 for me but after playing the new build (near-final, not the build that was at the events recently) I'm more hyped about it.
Can you give us some impressions (controlls)? Or are you only hyped because of improved graphics?

Amir0x

Banned
Lapsed said:
Most people aren't graphic whores. So what?

False premise. You don't need to be a graphic whore to recognize the COLOSSAL difference.

Zoramon089 said:

Actually, we point them out in every thread. It's amusing that you don't want it to be pointed out in a thread because it's for a Wii game - note, that doesn't make you a graphic whore. It makes you in tune with reality. Ubisoft reality.

"The Ubisoft way."

DieNGamers said:
Can you give us some impressions (controlls)? Or are you only hyped because of improved graphics?

That's Twilight Rockstar from Official Nintendo UK Gamer. Judging from that, You can be sure that the controls will change your life forever and you will never be the same after you play this amazing true next-gen title with the power of wiimote. (this message was sponsored by Nintendo)

Saoh

Amir0x said:
That's Twilight Rockstar from Official Nintendo UK Gamer. Judging from that, You can be sure that the controls will change your life forever and you will never be the same after you play this amazing true next-gen title with the power of wiimote. (this message was sponsored by Nintendo)

all that and more exclusively on their next issue.

*the next issue doesnt deliver*

I wish I could fast forward in time and see for myself how good/bad Red Steel would be. All this talk is so useless.

Ah. I've been waiting such a long time for Wii. Only two months to go.

Next time Nintendo should just invent a time machine and get it over with.

DieNgamers said:

Hyped because it's all starting to come together. The controls are way better than E3 and Leipzig (which was the E3 version anyway). There are still issues though. . . sometimes the pointer freaks out and it takes a few secs to readjust. I'm hoping that will be sorted.

Also, it took me a good hour to get used to the controls but aftare a few hours I was running around and shooting with pin-point precision. The quick flick mof the wrist to reload and the d-pad weapon changing is really nice. It's quite satisfying to finish off a group and then nonchalantly flick your Nunchuk back to reload. And having zoom on the remote (by moving it forwards/backwards) works surprisingly well

Twilight Rockstar said:
Hyped because it's all starting to come together. The controls are way better than E3 and Leipzig (which was the E3 version anyway). There are still issues though. . . sometimes the pointer freaks out and it takes a few secs to readjust. I'm hoping that will be sorted.

Also, it took me a good hour to get used to the controls but aftare a few hours I was running around and shooting with pin-point precision. The quick flick mof the wrist to reload and the d-pad weapon changing is really nice. It's quite satisfying to finish off a group and then nonchalantly flick your Nunchuk back to reload. And having zoom on the remote (by moving it forwards/backwards) works surprisingly well

Can you melee at any time or at only certain times? How has the melee combat been revised, if at all?

Ikael

Why? I almost posted how I didn't see anything to get excited about a couple times in the 360/PS3 screenshot/trailer threads. But I figured that would be interpreted as 'trolling' even if it is my genuine thoughts so I stayed quiet.

This is one of the bad things in GAF :-( Sometimes I feel in the same way.

About the issue at hand, people have all the right to be paranoid about them being bullshots. Next gen + ubisoft = prepare to be tricked. In fact, to be sceptic it is a quite healthy habit generally talking.

However, I also have all the right to say that these screenshots looks nicer to me than some of the 360 / PS3 stuff that I have seen. The artstyle, the setting... it do appeal me and it can compensate for some of the technical limitations, same goes with Mario Galaxy, Okami, SOTC and lot of other games. Visual appeal is the result of far more factors than technic and raw power alone. I cannot remember how many times casuals have told me about how much better does GTA looks compared to Wind walker.

And if mere raw technical power and graphic whorism would be as crucial and casual extended as GAF claims, the Neo Geo would have trounced the SNes, the Nes would have failed VS the PC Engine, the PS would have failed against the N64, the Gamecube and Xbox would have performed better against the PS2.... I really don't know how much historical evidence do people need to start putting the importance of graphics on its not so relevant place.

Branduil

Amir0x said:
False premise. You don't need to be a graphic whore to recognize the COLOSSAL difference.

Actually, we point them out in every thread. It's amusing that you don't want it to be pointed out in a thread because it's for a Wii game - note, that doesn't make you a graphic whore. It makes you in tune with reality. Ubisoft reality.

"The Ubisoft way."

Yes, we should instead listen to your very unbiased and objective commentary on Wii games:

waggleiz4.jpg

Pureauthor said:
I'm not used to entering graphics debate, but seriously...

naughty-dog-ps3-project-untitled-20060526040200187.jpg

That's a PS3 game, not a 360 game, but as far as screenshots are concerned, the difference is negligible.

Look at that. Now look at this.

red-steel-20060914092818235.jpg

Please tell me you can see the difference.

Yeah i can see the difference.
\Can you see the difference here?
xboxps3-size-comparison.jpg

What the hell do you expect it to do? MAGIC? look at the size of it compared to the other 2 consoles? We know its not a god damn powerhouse.

Amir0x

Banned
Branduil said:
Yes, we should instead listen to your very unbiased and objective commentary on Wii games:

*dumb image*

Is...that your idea of a photoshop? We got another winner, it seems! :lol

It's ok little Branduil i won't badmouth the waggle today just for you. One night only offer :)

DefectiveReject said:
What the hell do you expect it to do? MAGIC?

Heh, I think he was merely responding to the people who couldn't tell the difference. Because if you can't, you're blind! Of course, like you said, we shouldn't expect it to anyway

Branduil

Amir0x said:
Is...that your idea of a photoshop? We got another winner, it seems! :lol

It's ok little Branduil i won't badmouth the waggle today just for you. One night only offer :)

Heh, I think he was merely responding to the people who couldn't tell the difference. Because if you can't, you're blind! Of course, like you said, we shouldn't expect it to anyway

No, that's my idea of not wasting extra effort on someone who doesn't deserve it. :)

It's quite nice that posting a smiley makes any previous sentence much less harsh. For instance: You are a dumb, myopic graphics whore incapable of subtlety or tact, who trolls every thread you post in despite being a mod. :)

DefectiveReject said:
Yeah i can see the difference.
\Can you see the difference here?
xboxps3-size-comparison.jpg

What the hell do you expect it to do? MAGIC? look at the size of it compared to the other 2 consoles? We know its not a god damn powerhouse.

Um. Yes. We know the Wii is weaker graphically than the PS3 or the 360. I just demonstrated that. What's your point?

Um... this is how pretty much every single Wii screenshot thread turns out:

Step a) Screens get posted

If Screens are bad-

Step b1) People will come in and tell you the screens are bad. The usually also use the words 'gimmick', waggle wand', and 'current-gen'.

If screens are good-

Step b2) Lol bullshots

Following 'if screens are good'

Step c) People will defend the game's graphics based on hardware

Step d) Just as everything is winding down (or sometimes as things are winding up), someone will come in and state that the screens look nearly as good as 360/PS3 graphics. Sensible Nintendo fans slap their foreheads and groan.

Step e) Photoshops! (optional)

Step f) Thread dies.

psy18

Pureauthor said:

If Screens are bad-

Step b1) People will come in and tell you the screens are bad. The usually also use the words 'gimmick', waggle wand', and 'current-gen'.

If screens are good-

Step b2) Lol bullshots

Step d) Just as everything is winding down (or sometimes as things are winding up), someone will come in and state that the screens look nearly as good as 360/PS3 graphics. Sensible Nintendo fans slap their foreheads and groan.

Step f) Thread dies.

That means there is no choice for wii lovers. Either if it's good or bad, people will keep bashing and calling names. Silly gaf:lol

Nakasan

What I would genuinely like to know though, isn't if "graphic whores" think the Wii stacks up well against 360/ps3, but whether they truely feel that the Wii has UGLY graphics.

I don't think anyone should really think that myself... otherwise surely these "graphic whores" wouldn't have bought any consoles up until now...

Any "whores" like to comment?

bud

Pureauthor said:

If Screens are bad-

If screens are good-

Step b2) Lol bullshots

Step f) Thread dies.

lolz

Amir0x

Banned
Nakasan said:
What I would genuinely like to know though, isn't if "graphic whores" think the Wii stacks up well against 360/ps3, but whether they truely feel that the Wii has UGLY graphics.

I don't think anyone should really think that myself... otherwise surely these "graphic whores" wouldn't have bought any consoles up until now...

Any "whores" like to comment?

As a self-proclaimed graphics whore, I can tell you that my standards have evolved each generation. What was once good, is no longer... the same applies for most things. While many NES games were once good, the standards for quality gameplay have often risen far beyond what was possible back then and I no longer can stomach that crap. When I played 'ol ColecoVision, I didn't know any better. It was great to me! But with each passing gen, it becomes impossible to go back to those 'classics' because of how ugly and/or unplayable they are.

Are Wii games "ugly"? To me personally, most are yes. Most current gen games are not attractive to me. They have fidelity issues, they are often scaled down due to hardware limitations, and in the case of Wii it is not HD. There's exceptions... usually those who utilize artistic direction or which really push the hardware maximum. Like, Okami, RE4, Wind Waker, Ninja Gaiden and Kingdom Hearts II all hold up very well. And likewise, for Wii, there are pretty 'exceptions' - Mario Galaxy is one of the few ones I can point out for you this moment.

Nah Amir0x, i just think that anyone claiming Wii will compare to PS3/360 should be shot, and anyone baiting that the graphics on Wii are bad should be shot.

Amir0x

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
Nah Amir0x, i just think that anyone claiming Wii will compare to PS3/360 should be shot, and anyone baiting that the graphics on Wii are bad should be shot.

And I think that wishing someone should be shot, even in joking, for a subject as petty as this is a bit silly :p

Tchu-Espresso

DefectiveReject said:
Hey dont look at me i compared the thing to a ****en xbox.

Needless to say the results werent pretty.

Amir0x said:
Are Wii games "ugly"? To me personally, most are yes. Most current gen games are not attractive to me. They have fidelity issues, they are often scaled down due to hardware limitations, and in the case of Wii it is not HD. There's exceptions... usually those who utilize artistic direction or which really push the hardware maximum. Like, Okami, RE4, Wind Waker, Ninja Gaiden and Kingdom Hearts II all hold up very well. And likewise, for Wii, there are pretty 'exceptions' - Mario Galaxy is one of the few ones I can point out for you this moment.

So I take it then that most PSP games look "ugly" to you? :p

Pureauthor said:

If Screens are bad-

If screens are good-

Step b2) Lol bullshots

Step f) Thread dies.

:lol :lol :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Magicpaint said:
So I take it then that most PSP games look "ugly" to you? :p

They're amazing for a handheld... but Wii is not amazing for anything, in terms of graphics.

However, no I'm not really blown away by anything on PSP these days. It's more the fact that I can take that shit on the go and still have a relatively faithful "current gen" experience (well, soon last-gen) that being impressed comes from.

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
They're amazing in comparison to the N64!

*glances at Samurai Warriors Wave*

Kinda.

:p

But yeah, I just hope more Wii games end up looking like Mario Galaxy soon. Once we get the nasty 'transition' phase over with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom