• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Pics of the Nintendo Character Guide (1993) (Yoshi's real name REVEALED!)

BD1

Banned
I miss early 90s American licensed Mario. Before NCL retconned the shit out of him.

In my my mind Mario will always be a Brooklyn plumber who went down the wrong pipe and ended up in the Mushroom Kingdom with his brother.

AdanVC

Bahaha, I love this. It gives them a much more deep meaning to themselves. Yoshi's real name is the best. Munchakoopas, hahah.

Log4Girlz

Bx91S9J.jpg

Raw64life

If Mario being from Brooklyn is canon, then where is the Mushroom Kingdom and how does he get to it? I guess he trips out after doing too many shrooms and just hallucinates everything?

cool, nice to see that mario supports gay marriage

sm3dw spoils

"Buddy, I saw a giant demon turtle
turn into a cat
, and then
turn into seven cats
. Two months earlier I saw that same turtle get his skin melted off by lava. My brother grew a raccoon tail and it made him fly. Two dudes could start humping right on this bar and I wouldn't even notice." *drinks whiskey*

SaviorX

The squirt gun he fixed somehow ties back into Splatoon, adding one more link to the chain that connects the entire Nintendo universe

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Hah, having just read the part on Sonic's canon in "Console Wars" and how they had several pages about characters and motivations I was wondering if Mario's was the same (for the games proper I mean, rather than cartoons and whatnot).

Tiberius Yoshisaur Munchakoopas.
Surprised it took that many posts :p

Forkball

Wikipedia also has T. Yoshisaur Muchakoopas as Yoshi's full name. We're gonna need someone to come out and officially retcon this.

Cynn

I miss early 90s American licensed Mario. Before NCL retconned the shit out of him.

In my my mind Mario will always be a Brooklyn plumber who went down the wrong pipe and ended up in the Mushroom Kingdom with his brother.

Agreed. He was a construction worker who did demo and high rise jobs then founded a plumbing business with his brother after he lost his job and girlfriend to a crazy ape attack. (Donkey Kong) One crazy night turtles, fireballs and even little ice monsters started coming out of the pipes. Mario and Luigi were hired to clean them out (Mario Bros) and as they finished, the warp pipe to the Mushroom Kingdom was found. Hearing cries for help, the brothers bravely jumped in and Super Mario Bros happened.

As a NeoGAF member I feel obliged leave some "witty" remark about Mario canon/lore (but with canon or lore in quotation marks) and probably some snide remark about Mariowiki.

But I won't.

Suffice to say in the 90's matters of character personality and background did matter to Nintendo and SEGA, but it was their American branches that were doing most of the world-building, down to the naming of most of the characters.

I should remind people that Mario canon is branching. The NST games Mario vs. Donkey Kong were outside of the mushroom kingdom (it all made sense until they added robo peach and robo toad, shy guys etc etc...and ignoring the Dk94 ending....)

here's peach/toadstool
Love the random reference to the people turned into blocks plot.

So is Peach a derogatory nickname like Eggman is?

I should remind people that Mario canon is branching. The NST games Mario vs. Donkey Kong were outside of the mushroom kingdom (it all made sense until they added robo peach and robo toad, shy guys etc etc...and ignoring the Dk94 ending....)

Love the random reference to the people turned into blocks plot.

So is Peach a derogatory nickname like Eggman is?
No, her full name is Princess Peach Toadstool. Peach is her first name.

So, now Peach is a White Magic Necromancer Princess with OCD tendencies. Huh. Might explain the general lack of mold in the entire kingdom, despite the alarming overpopulation of mushrooms.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Still mind fucking blown

Had a dream about this last night...

Top Bottom