• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some PS Vita games up on US PSN, 10% discount confirmed

Kerrby

Banned
So with Hot Shots Golf I can get a retail version of the game with box, cart and booklet that I can re-sell later if I choose or I can get it digitally for $3 less (even though it's cheaper on Amazon to get the game retail).

Sony were doing so good with the Vita, it just seems like they've done fuck up after fuck up lately.

UberTag

So with Hot Shots Golf I can get a retail version of the game with box, cart and booklet that I can re-sell later if I choose or I can get it digitally for $3 less (even though it's cheaper on Amazon to get the game retail).

Sony were doing so good with the Vita, it just seems like they've done fuck up after fuck up lately.
Booklet? What booklet? You get a cheap plastic case and a cheap cart that you can sell back to a retailer so they can sell it to someone else who wants a cheap plastic and cheap cart... that probably won't be compatible with whatever the Vita successor system winds up being.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I get that they might be a little higher than expected, but don't start expecting iOS level pricing either.

Then what should we expect? I tried to hammer it into the person that works at Sony that posts in Kass' thread's head: People expect frequent sales and at least price-matching retail after a certain time-frame with titles. The fact that some PSP games are $20-30 and are four+ years old is insane. I could get that title on UMD for $5-10 now if it's still stocked new at Gamestop or elsewhere.

Respawn

Banned
Maybe Sony needs to grab some balls and realize that iOS is doing just fine without selling content at a physical retailer....and they do this through very competitive and reasonable pricing.

Sony still thinks this is 1996.

Seriously stop bringing up IOS games. When you see these type of games on IOS for $5 then your point will be just.

So... this Vita content manager. It deletes the data from ps3 when it copies to vita, but then I can use it to back up the game again to the PS3? Why doesn't it just leave the data on there?!

Because Sony. Some arcane security measure I'm sure.

Just bought Super Stardust and ModNation, downloading ModNation now to my PS3 to get it transfered over to my Asian Vita. No luck with Ridge Racer PSP. It saw a couple my wife's japanese PSP games, but could not download them due to them being on her account.

seady

Amazon: $29.99
PSN: $35.99

That's not how discounts work, Sony.

That's my sentiment.
If people pay even slight attention to game sale in store, they will know most games, especially during the week of release, usually have pretty good discount. (except Gamestop who rarely have any sale)

Having that tiny 10% off is simply insulting.

Massa

That's my sentiment.
If people pay even slight attention to game sale in store, they will know most games, especially during the week of release, usually have pretty good discount. (except Gamestop who rarely have any sale)

Having that tiny 10% off is simply insulting.

They should have 0% off like every other digital game store, including Steam?

In any case, if you want to carry around carts with your Vita you're free to go with that option.

DBT85

You will never get Steam styled sales until games are no longer mostly sold via B&M retail.

Oh I know, and that's fucking annoying in itself.

At the end of the day, I've not bought any PS3 games digitally that I could buy at retail. I don't tend to trade games in so that's never really come in to it, I'm just not paying £45 for a game that's on sale everywhere online for £35.

The only remaining hope we can have for these digital prices is that they roughly follow retail prices as they drop off a cliff. But we all know that is never going to happen either. I should be able to log in to the PSN and buy UC1 right now for £10 but it's not even on there.

With this baby step, we are getting every game digitally and getting 10% off on most (hopefully). It's a step in the right direction and the biggest one any console has ever taken. So lets not get TOO mental about it. But it should be more since there is no retailer taking a cut.

Lets see what PS+ offers in the months to come

How is providing options fucking up? What kind of discount does Nintendo offer for buying Mario Kart 7 or Super Mario Land 3D on the 3ds? Oh, that's right, they don't even offer their customers the option.

How much of a discount were you people honestly expecting to get on new release games?

Don't like DD game prices? go buy them in a store.

Chris_C

I will buy a Vita, then I will purchase PSP games for it. It's just unbelievable how dense Sony are being about the peripheral pricing on Vita.

I will buy a Vita, then I will purchase PSP games for it. It's just unbelievable how dense Sony are being about the peripheral pricing on Vita.

Yea, it's almost like they want to make money or something.

All companies charge a premium for their accessories. Hell, Apple now charge $50 for a replacement power/usb cable for their ipod/iphone.

You will never get Steam styled sales until games are no longer mostly sold via B&M retail.

Depends. HSG 2 PSP (best PSP game ever) is still 29.99, I bought it a couple of years ago for 10 bucks at a clearance sale at a retail store. I don't see that game at retail anywhere and the price is still high. The price of that game needs to be $15 at the very most with sales every now and again. Maybe a firesale for 5 bucks or something.

How is providing options fucking up? What kind of discount does Nintendo offer for buying Mario Kart 7 or Super Mario Land 3D on the 3ds? Oh, that's right, they don't even offer their customers the option.

Nintendo gives me the option to get them each for 33% off.

How much of a discount were you people honestly expecting to get on new release games?

25% to 33% off on 2/22/12.

seady

It is hard for Sony to put too much discount of their own game store. They are the "official" store and just like brick and mortar store, all flagship stores sell things at premium / full price.

Also, the box and manual probably cost less to make then the 10% discount they are offering. So to them, not having to provide manual/box don't equal to much more profit. The cost lies on the game development part.

That's why I think 3rd party retailers should also sell digital codes. Like Amazon, if they sell a box copy of a $40 game at $30, they should also have the digital version of the same game at $25-27.

It is hard for Sony to put too much discount of their own game store. They are the "official" store and just like brick and mortar store, all flagship stores sell things at premium / full price.

Also, the box and manual probably cost less to make then the 10% discount they are offering. So to them, not having to provide manual/box don't equal to much more profit. The cost lies on the game development part.

That's why I think 3rd party retailers should also sell digital codes. Like Amazon, if they sell a box copy of a $40 game at $30, they should also have the digital version of the same game at $25-27.

I would love to see more retailers carrying game code cards. It would allow retailers to have more flexibility in terms of inventory and pricing.

Nintendo DS = no DD of retail games

Nintendo 3DS = No DD of retail games

Sony PSP = 0% discount on DD of retail games

Sony Vita = 10% discount on DD of retail games

Yet, somehow, we are mad at the vita right now. WHAT IN THE HECK, GAF!??!

tumblr_ksczlyQbeU1qzx4k0o1_500.jpg

I just fist pounded my iPad. I've already downloaded both Hot Shots & Super Stardust Delta. Can't wait for next Wednesday.

Oh, I'm perfectly fine with it. I had no idea there was even going to be a discount on them. I'm just happy that I'm able to download any game I want.

This needs to be stressed. Every retail game will have a SEN release. I am excited to be able to order games without having to deal with shipping or going to a store. No case to clutter up my place, and instant gratification. I value that more than saving $5 or so.

Are you kidding? These games are not $1.99, Sony am complete rip off!!!!111!!!

I said they are or should be comparatively priced to iOS games where in my post? Without disclosing what retail pricing I know, I can tell you that mark up across most titles I have seen is much higher then other system software I remember ever seeing

Risible

Yea, it's almost like they want to make money or something.

All companies charge a premium for their accessories. Hell, Apple now charge $50 for a replacement power/usb cable for their ipod/iphone.

$30.

And you can buy third-party adapters that work just fine - not so with Sony memory cards.

This needs to be stressed. Every retail game will have a SEN release. I am excited to be able to order games without having to deal with shipping or going to a store. No case to clutter up my place, and instant gratification. I value that more than saving $5 or so.

I'll take a 50 to 75% discount on games and put up with waiting for it to arrive the next day.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Risible said:
And you can buy third-party adapters that work just fine - not so with Sony memory cards.
Apple price per Gigabyte is higher then that of Vita cards, and your only expansion option is to buy a new device all-together.

WipEout is, well, the same as my JPN version. Just a luscious experience.

SSDD is fantastic. Nothing you weren't expecting, but terrific fun regardless.

Modnation Racers is a bit of a rough one. Graphics need a little sharpening, on both the UI and in-game aspects, but it feels really good in terms of racing mechanics. Downside is definitely the load-times, so that better get patched. Otherwise, a very competent racer outside of the glaring issues everyone pointed to in terms of multiplayer.

WipEout is, well, the same as my JPN version. Just a luscious experience.

SSDD is fantastic. Nothing you weren't expecting, but terrific fun regardless.

Modnation Racers is a bit of a rough one. Graphics need a little sharpening, on both the UI and in-game aspects, but it feels really good in terms of racing mechanics. Downside is definitely the load-times, so that better get patched. Otherwise, a very competent racer outside of the glaring issues everyone pointed to in terms of multiplayer.

Why does every Modnation game have terrible load times? You'd think by the third game they'd be able to fix that.

Sony still fucking their digital consumers over (like me).

And they wonder why growth of digital purchases hasn't grown like they've wanted? They are incredibly stingy on the prices for games that don't require any physical media, shipping, packaging, etc. That amounts to more than a 10% discount..

Nah, it most likely amounts to less than 10% in price difference. Major part is salaries + marketing. However, I'm sure margins on PSN are way higher than retail so Sony should've discounted it further.

I'm just hoping this doesn't mean Vita game won't have frequent price drops on PSN

PSP games would launch at $40 and be $20 after a short while. Ys 1&2 PSP have been out for about a year and it's now at $15, with a possibility of going lower with sales. PSP sales on PSN have been surprising.

Assuming it's the same with the Vita, my plan is to buy day one games retail (Shinobido 2, Gravity Daze, Ys) and everything else digital down the road during a sale, unless there are some really good retail deals.

Hyuga

Banned
PlayStation VITA -> DD Day 1, for me.
So yeah, this will be the "real" portable handheld for me.
Can't wait!

I'm just hoping this doesn't mean Vita game won't have frequent price drops on PSN

PSP games would launch at $40 and be $20 after a short while. Ys 1&2 PSP have been out for about a year and it's now at $15, with a possibility of going lower with sales. PSP sales on PSN have been surprising.

Assuming it's the same with the Vita, my plan is to buy day one games retail (Shinobido 2, Gravity Daze, Ys) and everything else digital down the road during a sale, unless there are some really good retail deals.

Just give it up now. You're going to get better deals at retail than through Sony. It's just the nature of the market now.

You go with DD for convenience and in case the next system will play them and doesn't accept the same cart format.

You go with retail if you want cheaper games, to sell back games, to trade or lend with people, and to ensure your games will always work in the future.

Argyle

Why does every Modnation game have terrible load times? You'd think by the third game they'd be able to fix that.
The load times in Modnation are I think caused by the game loading the base assets off cartridge/disc and building the track at runtime (vs. a normal game loading a prebuilt track into memory).

Eusis

Just give it up now. You're going to get better deals at retail than through Sony. It's just the nature of the market now.
You know, I don't think that's inherently true. Near launch, yeah, good luck getting deals as good as at retail, especially since some retailers will match Sony discounts anyway. Once a few months have passed however? Sometimes deals DO pop up, at least for 3rd party games, that can trump what you'd find at retail, easily anyway. Just look at those Capcom games, a lot of them were $10 titles put on sale for $5, and if GameStop used beats that it's by, like, $2. And may be in a casing that plays poorly on your PSP anyway.

You know, I don't think that's inherently true. Near launch, yeah, good luck getting deals as good as at retail, especially since some retailers will match Sony discounts anyway. Once a few months have passed however? Sometimes deals DO pop up, at least for 3rd party games, that can trump what you'd find at retail, easily anyway. Just look at those Capcom games, a lot of them were $10 titles put on sale for $5, and if GameStop used beats that it's by, like, $2. And may be in a casing that plays poorly on your PSP anyway.

I think it is true in the long run when you add it all up in the end. Games go on sale by far more frequently and at deeper discounts than they do on PSN. PSN sales are nothing like Steam sales so we can't expect those types of deals overall. Don't forget how quickly prices drop on retail games and how many go to clearance or reduced prices. Look at Rayman Origins. That came out in what November at $50? Less than two months later I got it for $20. You're not going to see things like that on PSN. Think about all the B1G1@50%, B2G1 offers, all the big sales over the last year. Heck right off the bat, retail HSG and Wipeout can be had for 25% off. I still think we'll see a sale during launch week from one of the big stores. Retail in the long run will always be cheaper. We need not look any further than PSP retail vs PSP digital.

Top Bottom