• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some thoughts on living in Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.
with scholarship or no? they give out 9k/term scholarships for ED apparently if you pass portfolio review.

I was grad film. Our scholarships weren't 9k a term, but 3 or 4 I think? With $17k tuition (at the time) and more needed for housing (if you choose to not add a job on top of studies), I and pretty much all of my classmates ended up racking up a lot of debt. If you're getting 9k a term that'll definitely help things out though.

Whenever I hear us described as being fake, shallow, backstabbing or vapid, I think, well fuck you too. It's a really big city. I associate that type of behavior with people trying to be part of the entertainment industry. Most of us, however have no part in that industry. I have seen in numerable people come to LA because they want to "make it".

This is true. That's why I said I could only speak as someone out here pursuing film. As far as the people I've met in various neighborhoods, they've mostly been fine.

Koreatown and echo park used to be rough in the 90s with all the gangs. Look what has happened in the past 10-15 years.

LOL..."rough" is very kind. Silver Lake in the 90's was basically flipping a coin as to whether your car would be broken into. Echo Park was straight-up no-go after dark, other than grabbing a late-night bite at the Brite Spot.

Let me say a couple of things as a native of Los Angeles.

Whenever I hear us described as being fake, shallow, backstabbing or vapid, I think, well fuck you too. It's a really big city. I associate that type of behavior with people trying to be part of the entertainment industry. Most of us, however have no part in that industry. I have seen in numerable people come to LA because they want to "make it". They are all attractive, clever and funny. Unfortunately, they find out everyone else in the industry is also attractive, clever and funny. So they get in line waiting for a call that never comes. It makes them cynical and desperate. Don't judge the rest of us by that standard and their behavior.

Yes, the fake people are mostly the midwestern transplants who come to LA trying to turn dreams to gold, but they make up a large bit of the people in LA at any one time. Or at least their outsized attack-mode attitudes can dominate the atmosphere.

Uber and Lyft though, what a godsend to the city.

Kevtones

I live near the Colorado/Eagle Rock Blvd intersection. It's pretty okay. We have all sort of characters but I love this area.

This thread is making me want to propose an East LA meetup group...

Also, you do not need to live on the West Side to work in the film industry. Hogwash.

I live near the Colorado/Eagle Rock Blvd intersection. It's pretty okay. We have all sort of characters but I love this area.

This thread is making me want to propose an East LA meetup group...

Also, you do not need to live on the West Side to work in the film industry. Hogwash.

I didn't see anyone say that, I think it's just where they are working.

Kevtones

I didn't see anyone say that, I think it's just where they are working.

Misread it then. Maybe it was the 'without a long commute' type of comment. A good amount of studios are in West so there's merit to it.

I've been fortunate I suppose. I've got a lot of space in a good area and work from home regularly. Writing and dev aren't 'on-site' gigs always so I'm not a great case study.

I'm so glad the region is investing heavily on public transit. They transit authority just agreed to put another transit expansion on the ballot with no sunset clause so everything gets built even faster. I just wish it was even faster than this though.

Kevtones

I'm so glad the region is investing heavily on public transit. They transit authority just agreed to put another transit expansion on the ballot with no sunset clause so everything gets built even faster. I just wish it was even faster than this though.

Los Angeles' most dire need aside from water is public transport. There's not a good reason this city doesn't have it.

golem

com'on now. at least try their lamb double dip with plenty of mustard before making that comment.

Lamb is the right way to go but ask for triple dip next time ;) also CBS is trash tier dim sum

with scholarship or no? they give out 9k/term scholarships for ED apparently if you pass portfolio review.

Entertainment design is pretty hard to get into. Alot of ppl end up in Illustration

Cromwell

Banned
Misread it then. Maybe it was the 'without a long commute' type of comment. A good amount of studios are in West so there's merit to it.

I've been fortunate I suppose. I've got a lot of space in a good area and work from home regularly. Writing and dev aren't 'on-site' gigs always so I'm not a great case study.

I just said that living in West LA / Hollywood area cuts down on commute times. If you don't mind hour long drives, East LA is totally doable, but I'd go fucking insane driving an hour to and from work every day. Maybe when totally autonomous cars become a thing it won't be so bad.

Future

Wtf at 1800 for a 500 square foot apartment. Shit ain't that bad. I don't live in el segundo though so what do I know.

I do live in Santa Monica though. Living here you see that a lot of people here are not rich or even close to rich. There is tons of affordable apartment living around. From the outside in it seems like everyone is ritzy, but when you are inside of it you see it's really not the case

I can really only agree with your negatives on traffic. Hands down the worst ever. And if you have a family and living constraints (need lots of bedrooms, yard, etc) then you aren't gonna have many choices in lying near your job. And commutes can range wildly depending on what LA decides to randomly throw at you. If there is rain forget about it... You are safer inside than on the streets

All your positives are on point. Especially the food.

I've got got some family and some great friends in LA. Never lived there myself, only visited a handful of times.

My take away:
If I were young and single and not ready to settle down, then LA it up!

Besides that nope.

I have a couple of cousins that work in LA, and Hollywood and have to commute 20 miles, I now know why they are bald.

I have a buddy that just bought north of LAX (well last year) and travels to West Hollywood (is that a thing) for work everyday, yeah let's just say that he hits the hay at 10pm for that early morning commute. I was surprised at how much he paid for a 2 bedroom house from the 1940s. he could buy 7 of my houses for what he is paying for a tiny place (rural town Arkansas). It is just unreal.

When the wife and I drove through LA, should would always ask, "Why can't we just go around it?" Go around it, ha! We would have to travel from north of Sacramento to PHX a couple times of year, and of course I would want to visit some friends in LA, stop for lunch, let the toddler stretch his legs, what was I thinking? Oh yeah, did not want to drive through Nevada, did that plenty as a young man.

LA great to visit, and great to visit for some folk.

Wtf at 1800 for a 500 square foot apartment. Shit ain't that bad. I don't live in el segundo though so what do I know.

I do live in Santa Monica though. Living here you see that a lot of people here are not rich or even close to rich. There is tons of affordable apartment living around. From the outside in it seems like everyone is ritzy, but when you are inside of it you see it's really not the case

I can really only agree with your negatives on traffic. Hands down the worst ever. And if you have a family and living constraints (need lots of bedrooms, yard, etc) then you aren't gonna have many choices in lying near your job. And commutes can range wildly depending on what LA decides to randomly throw at you. If there is rain forget about it... You are safer inside than on the streets

All your positives are on point. Especially the food.
Bruh, it obvious you have not been looking for apartments in the last year. SM prices are now through the roof. My friend lives on 2 nd street and Washington. He's been there like 6 years and he pays $1600 for 1BR. His new neighbors pay for same layout, nearly $3000. This all happened in the last 18 months. Prices got all jacked up real quick.

thanks man. If it gets too crazy or if it's not worth it then I'm just gonna drop out and go to a CSU
If they're not paying for majority of it, don't go. If you have to pay to go there, then you're probably not gonna benefit from going there. A lot of people go to Art Center thinking that they'll be made if they get a degree from there, but it doesn't work that way, and you'll end up with a life time supply of debt. Basically, If you're not talented enough that they'll fund you, then you're essentially subsidizing someone else's education there. Don't take my word for it, just ask anyone who paid their way through. It's almost always the same answer. "wasn't worth it".

It's an extremely competitive school, illustration is the biggest program. Don't go there if the goal is to get a degree, that's all I'm gonna say.

Mdk7

I come there once a year for E3, and despite hating the city at first, I'm starting to kinda like it after all these years (Santa Monica is a different thing, I've always liked that).
BTW, this year I discovered by change an amazing place: a library called The Last Bookstore, and it's really one hell of a place.
If you're into weird books and art (or if you feel like buying a book signed by Hemingway himself...), it's really really really worth a visit.

I mean... just take a look.
e29305d8eb4deb2c201b08463b1b9961.jpg

02-DSC_0121.jpg

16132664080_61a481eb93_b.jpg

the-last-bookstore-in-los-angeles-vista-dallalto.jpg

IMG_9762.jpg

Chiggs said:
I pay $1800 a month for a 500 square foot studio apartment.

A special tip of the hat to Santa Monica, where the “not really rich, but kinda rich” display some of the worst human behavior I’ve ever witnessed. I’d like to officially crown it Pretentious & Mean-Spirited Asshole Capitol of the United States.

my place in santa monica is larger and cheaper, and i don't know anyone that lives on the west side who'd say something nearly as rude as you just did. el segundo doesn't sound like it's worth the premium.

eyeball_kid said:
LOL..."rough" is very kind. Silver Lake in the 90's was basically flipping a coin as to whether your car would be broken into. Echo Park was straight-up no-go after dark, other than grabbing a late-night bite at the Brite Spot.

Yes, of course. I was being facetious. It looks like that was missed.

To that point, gentrification is a double edge sword.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Is that per person or total? If total, then: how?

Total. It's just me and my wife. As for why the rent is that cost? I have no idea. That's just how much the 1 bedroom was when we got it. We initially lived in a studio in the same building that was $504. Pretty nice building. Old, and I'm pretty sure it used to be a hotel back in the day. We were afraid it'd be some kind of slumlord situation, but the manager is really nice, and they're always working on repairing any problems. The only issue I have with our building is that the wiring seems spotty during the summer. I'm thinking because a lot of units (including ours), have Air Conditioners, and that can sometimes have the power shut off. It's been ages since that's happened, but it has happened.

EDIT: Also, your experience in Los Angeles will be vastly, vastly different depending on your race, gender, and level of attractiveness. I'm a 36 year old black guy, and my LA experience has been very different from my Sri Lankan, Persian, White, Asian, and female friends and family, for example. LA pretends it's so liberal and open, but it really isn't. I imagine if you're an attractive white male with confidence, living in LA is a fucking fantasy. My wife is an attractive white woman, but she'd say her experience has been the opposite.

I've lived in LA now for a year and a half... came from Portland, Oregon. I have also lived in Minnesota (born and raised), Iowa (college), and Wisconsin (work) as background on my thoughts:

I think LA is one of the most unique cities in the United States and even the world. There's a very different vibe than major metropolitan areas in that is functions as almost mini-cities within one major city. Hollywood is nothing like Downtown which is nothing like Venice which is nothing like Burbank. All unique, all have positives and negatives. Furthermore the geographical location is amazing... weather, mountains, ocean, Vegas, wine country, etc. is all within driving distance.

I love it here. I personally have never had any negative impressions from the people within the city. The city gets a bad rap from the entertainment fuck wads who use and abuse one another, but it's a small percentage of the population. This city has an insane amount of people in it and can fit any niche or culture you are into. If you can't find friends, it's not the cities fault, it's yours.

The culture is wonderful too. There's always something going on somewhere. Parties, clubs, film festivals, beer tasting, art walks, parades, you literally can't find enough stuff to do on any given day. Literally not just weekends, shit is going on every night. The comedy scene is one of the best in the world. The movie theaters are all unique and interesting. All types of sub-cities -- Koreatown, Little Tokyo, Chinatown, Little Armenia, Little Bangladesh, it really is amazing at how diverse this city is.

I personally think the food is a little overrated. Maybe I'm spoiled from living in Portland but Los Angeles is not like it's other West Coast counterparts like San Francisco, Seattle, and Portland which are filled with foodies and food snobs. In my opinion there's still a lot of filth and shit restaurants you have to wade through to find really good spots. Unlike those other cities where by and large places have top tier food at reasonable prices. The upside however is the nightlight/bar/drinking scene is far and away better than any of those sister cities.

The biggest negative to me however, coming as someone who grew up in the Midwest, is the overall shittiness and quality of the city. Homeless, trash, rundown buildings, lack of any constant aesthetic, no greenery/parks. I went and saw a stand-up no namer once and he said, "The reason this city is such a shit hole is no one is from here. There's no self pride. No one cares about the city or what happens to it." And it really resonated with me, because it's kind of true. People don't recycle. They litter constantly. Neighborhoods are a mess at places. The few parks left are hardly kept up.

Cost of living is a bitch too, but that's to be expected I suppose. We rent a 2 bedroom apartment for $3,150 in Hollywood but there are four of us living in it.

wondermega

Boston dude here. Moved to LA on a whim (no job) with two friends when I was 25, in 2000. That first year was the best and worst year of my life hands-down.
Culturally I come from a place where we believe LA and it's denizens are all full off shit, honestly it didn't take me long to cotton to this town. It did take me a couple of years to "get it" in a deeper and more profound and connecting way, after that happened I knew I'd likely be spending the rest of my life here.
It's still a day-to-day struggle as it can be anywhere, and the last sixteen years have given me more than enough material to write the craziest book you ever read. But overall the people, places, experiences I've been through here, it's all been incredible. Keep it coming!
Btw I'm down for the East side meet up (I'm in Hollywood)

Muffdraul

Yeah, do tourists even know where Santa Monica is lol.

Are you seriously doubting it's a tourist spot? 3rd St Promenade might as well be fucking Ellis Island.

I'm a native Los Angelean and I'm convinced that most of the "everyone wants something from you" shit is aaaaaaall about transplants who have come to LA to make it in movies, music, whatever and behave that way because they're so desperate and hanging from a thread that they feel like they can't afford to be friends with anyone who can't give them something. I don't run with that crowd and I've hardly ever met anyone who "wanted something" or whatever.

Boston dude here. Moved to LA on a whim (no job) with two friends when I was 25, in 2000. That first year was the best and worst year of my life hands-down.
Culturally I come from a place where we believe LA and it's denizens are all full off shit,

I went to Boston twice about 10-15 years ago (ex-wife is from Weymouth.) People say WE have bad drivers?! Boston drivers should all be rounded up and burned at the stake! Our bad drivers are basically just clueless and lame, but Boston bad drivers are straight up homicidal and pure evil.

Yeah the Promenade gets more visitors annually than Disneyland.

Starline Tours' website lists three areas for tours in LA: Hollywood, Anaheim, Santa Monica.

The hop on hop off bus has a ton of stops in town.

The tourists are everywhere. Everywhere.

FStop7

Banned
Are you seriously doubting it's a tourist spot? 3rd St Promenade might as well be fucking Ellis Island.

I'm a native Los Angelean and I'm convinced that most of the "everyone wants something from you" shit is aaaaaaall about transplants who have come to LA to make it in movies, music, whatever and behave that way because they're so desperate and hanging from a thread that they feel like they can't afford to be friends with anyone who can't give them something. I don't run with that crowd and I've hardly ever met anyone who "wanted something" or whatever.

This is 100% true.

LA's periphery is great. Going into the city proper blows, though. That's where the traffic materializes like how I described in my post from the old thread. The secret (other than the one posted earlier that people didn't believe) is to pre-plan what you want to do and then go somewhere to do it. For example, let's say you want Japanese food. Find a Japanese enclave, like Torrance, and go there. Don't go to Little Tokyo; it's for suckers.

NoRéN

For the record, the OC is not LA. Only people from the OC pretends it to be

But, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim?

lolololololol

It always trips me out when I hear, "L.A. this. L.A. that. I live in *insert O.C. city* and..."

It doesn't help that lots of people live in one and work in the other. After a while it's all "your city".

Total. It's just me and my wife. As for why the rent is that cost? I have no idea. That's just how much the 1 bedroom was when we got it. We initially lived in a studio in the same building that was $504. Pretty nice building. Old, and I'm pretty sure it used to be a hotel back in the day. We were afraid it'd be some kind of slumlord situation, but the manager is really nice, and they're always working on repairing any problems. The only issue I have with our building is that the wiring seems spotty during the summer. I'm thinking because a lot of units (including ours), have Air Conditioners, and that can sometimes have the power shut off. It's been ages since that's happened, but it has happened.

Damn, it sounds like you got lucky with that one. When I moved here in 2010 I scored a $850 studio that the landlord let me try out for a month to decide if I liked. As the month was coming up I told him that I liked the unit, but was gonna try and see if I could find something a bit cheaper (coming from Indiana, I had delusions about the rent situation still). He asked what price it'd take for me to stay. I said $750 and he agreed.

Pretty sure that unit now goes for $1100 or so.

EDIT: Also, your experience in Los Angeles will be vastly, vastly different depending on your race, gender, and level of attractiveness. I'm a 36 year old black guy, and my LA experience has been very different from my Sri Lankan, Persian, White, Asian, and female friends and family, for example. LA pretends it's so liberal and open, but it really isn't. I imagine if you're an attractive white male with confidence, living in LA is a fucking fantasy. My wife is an attractive white woman, but she'd say her experience has been the opposite.

I'm an almost 30-year old black guy. I don't face any out-and-out hostility, but living in San Gabriel definitely sometimes get some looks from some of the predominantly Asian residents here. And the occasional car just happening to lock as I walk by it.

NoRéN

I'm an almost 30-year old black guy. I don't face any out-and-out hostility, but living in San Gabriel definitely sometimes get some looks from some of the predominantly Asian residents here. And the occasional car just happening to lock as I walk by it.

From what I've seen, you would get the same type of reaction where I live, a predominantly hispanic area. Not often, but I've seen it.

I do miss San Gabriel sometimes.

I live in the South Bay and it takes me about 40 minutes to get to work at an office by the LACMA museum on Wilshire. Its a shorter commute in the morning now that kids are out of school for the summer. The traffic is very bad on other times of the year for sure.

I feel like I am bored with LA as I cannot for the life of me find things to do on weekends lol

I have 4 kids and my wife doesn't work so I cant afford to live in LA proper. We live in Santa Clarita, just north of LA by six flags. Everyone at work jokes about how far away I live but the 35-45 minute commute isn't that bad (I work by Universal) and we have a 2000 sq ft 4 bed house for $2600 which would be almost impossible to find in LA itself.

I'm from NorCal, and used to go to L.A. and visit my family down there growing up...love visiting L.A. but can't live there ...people there are different then us NorCal folks

I've lived in SoCal all my life, we moved a lot because my parents only rent houses.
Glassell Park->Cypress Park->Maywood->Pasadena->Duarte
It's shocking to read in this thread that the Glassell/Cypress Park area is starting to become nicer because it used to be a pretty bad area when we lived there. My parents say that we moved from Cypress Park because cholos used to hang out in the alley behind our house. I still really like the area though because a lot of my relatives still live there.
The Taco truck on Ave 27 and the Gorditas Lupitas on Eagle Rock Blvd. are still some of my favorite places to eat.

Chiggs

LA's periphery is great. Going into the city proper blows, though. That's where the traffic materializes like how I described in my post from the old thread. The secret (other than the one posted earlier that people didn't believe) is to pre-plan what you want to do and then go somewhere to do it. For example, let's say you want Japanese food. Find a Japanese enclave, like Torrance, and go there. Don't go to Little Tokyo; it's for suckers.

I remember trying to get out of town (to Vegas) one morning around 3am and I couldn't believe the hoops I had to jump through. All I could remember is your quote as I was trying to find my way out of Baldwin Park/Azusa because of a series of detours.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
People in threads like this always shit on the Westside. I've been here for three years now (one near Sawtelle, two in Santa Monica) and I'm a big fan. Sure, if you go out to the trendy nightclubs you're going to run into some douchebags, but there are so many other places to go. Most of the people I meet are as nice and kind as they would be anywhere, and I'm within walking distance of the beach.

Living 10 blocks from work is a pretty sweet gig, too.

There are far worse places than Santa Monica.

wondermega

I went to Boston twice about 10-15 years ago (ex-wife is from Weymouth.) People say WE have bad drivers?! Boston drivers should all be rounded up and burned at the stake! Our bad drivers are basically just clueless and lame, but Boston bad drivers are straight up homicidal and pure evil.

I disagree with this sentiment. I actually do really miss driving in Boston. True, you certainly had to be on your damn toes, but if you were a little adventurous it was such a great city to get around in. Yes there'd be plenty of traffic, but there were plenty of crazy-windy-secret paths to get anywhere you needed at most times of the day, which was so great. Here in LA - as any city designed around driving, I'd expect - it's just a big grid whose' main roads and freeways get all chunked up with no easy alternatives.

But that's cool, I've made peace with it. Thank god for podcasts...

Naw, the best alternative to Little Tokyo is Japantown (Sawtelle Blvd. in west LA). I actually kind of like it better. Good sushi place there called Hide Sushi that's cash only, but great value and quality for the price. Also lots of vegetarian options. Most of the shops are located on Sawtelle so you can grab a bite and walk around. Good date spot.

First, Great thread OP. I'm originally from DC and hated LA until I moved to the South Bay after living in The Valley for 10 years.

I pay $1800 a month for a 500 square foot studio apartment. Granted, I’m about a mile from the beach in cozy El Segundo…but this is actually considered a value. And it’s not like I’m living in luxury.

I should also mention that many apartments in this city don’t include the basics that renters are used to:

• Refrigerators
• Dishwashers
• Central AC

Bro. Let me help you. I've got friends that live on the Westside and in the Valley. They all want places to live, but everybody wants the 'luxury' of the Westside. I recommend Torrance and Redondo Beach all day, but I'm usually ignored by them. So, I give my sage advice to you. I'm walking distance from the South Bay Galleria. I live in a very spacious 2BR/2BA apt. I pay about 200.00 less than you. No crime. No grime. I can be at the beach in 10 minutes driving. You get the best of the beachside communities, and the best of yuppie living with commerce all around you and families (it's a family area) to keep you grounded. Diverse people. Access to everything. I even made a promo video about the apartments in my area. Just move away from the beach. Trust me, you'll be really glad that you did.

Also, regarding the utilities and appliances: yes, you'll often need to have your own fridge, but regarding AC, you really don't need it in the South Bay. Sure it gets hot, but the breeze and a good fan will get you through most of the dog days of summer here. I lived in North Hollywood and during the summer, I thought I would actually die w/o AC. I don't mean that in exaggeration. Utility bills in other parts of Los Angeles will make you cry. The south bay, ie, Redondo/Manhattan Beach/Torrance/Hawthorne/Inglewood/Carson....are great.

Traffic:

learn to love your side streets and your alternate routes. I worked in Santa Monica for years. Coming from the valley, my commute in the morning was an hour and a half. Going home? Sometimes 2 hours easy. In the South Bay? There are so many ways to get home regardless of how the 405 South moves, that traffic is rarely a problem. I used to grovel to the traffic gods, too. Now it takes me about an hour to get to work in HEAVY traffic if i choose to stay on the 405N. Sepulveda is your friend. You'll often wave to the people sitting still on the highway as you roll right past. Get comfortable with alts and definitely learn the times of day to best move. If you work at 9am, there are golden times to leave that will save you sitting in traffic for no good reason. Where (geographically) is your work?

People:
I was very naïve on this front. Initially, I was stunned by how nice the people in the South Bay area were and incorrectly assumed that everyone north of Imperial would be equally nice.

Big mistake.

Honestly, LA’s west side might be home to some of the biggest assholes in the world. A special tip of the hat to Santa Monica, where the “not really rich, but kinda rich” display some of the worst human behavior I’ve ever witnessed. I’d like to officially crown it Pretentious & Mean-Spirited Asshole Capitol of the United States. Make no mistake, these jerks are far worse than any of the detached millionaires and billionaires living in Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Calabasas and Pacific Palisades.

On a similarly depressing note, I’ve found that making friends—not acquaintances—is very tough. The folks you meet in this city are constantly trying to get an angle on you to determine how you can help them meet their goals. One of my co-workers confessed to me that it took her 5 years to make a handful of decent friends. To me, that’s pretty daunting, and you can imagine how trying it can be to find a meaningful relationship out here. I feel like running background checks on potential partners isn’t paranoid, but necessary.

Culturally, the city is incredible. I spent a lot of my life in Colorado, a wonderful state, but also a very white one. Los Angeles has really opened my eyes to a lot of cultural richness that you’d be hard-pressed to find anywhere else. I’m also rather amazed to see so many different people from so many walks of life all converging in this metropolis. And with that convergence comes all of the expected benefits. My favorites? Food and music. Few cities can match Los Angeles on this front.

Things to do:
Where do I even start? There is so much to do in this city. Someone told me (or I read it somewhere) that Los Angeles is a city of secrets. While I’m certainly not a LA veteran, I have also found this to be true. Be it obscure restaurants in non-descript strip malls or winding staircases that take you to parts of the city that you never even knew existed, or could be accessed, Los Angeles begs to be explored.

Wanted to leave this entire chunk intact because it's funny. And true.
I'm a family man now, and an old guy, so I'm no fun. That said, my advice is to avoid making friends with 'industry people'. Absurd, I know, considering where you are. Also, that's a pretty broad rule, which is easily full of holes. However, because you're in South Bay where the jobs of working people are a little more removed from entertainment, you'll find that it's easier to meet people to talk about stuff that isn't based on "what can you do for me" networking.

Places I’ve enjoyed:
• The Getty
• Dodger Stadium
• The Bradbury Building
• Griffith Park
• Santa Monica Pier
• Culver City
• Sunset Boulevard
• Manhattan Beach
• City Hall
• Mullholland Drive
• Koreatown
• Chinatown

And that’s just factoring places within the city. Outside of city limits, you have incredible places in the San Gabriel Mountains, coastal gems like Malibu, and the jaw-dropping beauty of Joshua Tree and The Salton Sea…although the latter is definitely something of an acquired taste.

Overall:
I feel like I’m finally starting to fit in around here. I’ve gone from awkward outsider to somewhat awkward denizen. But that’s also a part of LA’s charm: it’s one of a handful of cities on this planet where you can easily find a niche or carve one out for yourself. When it comes to the individual, I’m really struggling to think of a city that caters more to that approach than Los Angeles.

In some ways I wish I would have moved out here ten years ago. I’m in my mid-thirties now and I can only imagine the fun I would have had in my twenties. Does that mean I’ll stay here long-term? Who knows…but there is a special sort of charm to this place. The city is a very hard to describe amalgamation of art, commerce and eccentricity. I just know that it’s fascinating.

Wanted to leave this chunk intact, too. I hated this place for years, but once I went back home to visit, I realized that that deep down, I kinda love it. Everything that you listed is AWESOME, and so many people don't take advantage of. You're no more than 3 hours away in every direction from a diversity of climates and things to do. You can go skiing and to the beach in the same day if you plan it right. It's pretty damned amazing.

Before I got married and became a family man, I totally enjoyed many of the places that you named. I encourage you to get out of your car and strike up random conversations with strangers doing things that you already love to do. You'll find that making new friends through genuine experiences can make a real difference.

Best of luck, man. Glad to have read your post.

EDIT: One more thing. The new Metro to the beach? Use it. Outside of just being incredibly convenient, the Metro takes you outside of your personal rolling box, and forces you to see the world around you with fresh eyes. When I used to be into street photography, one of my greatest joys was just walking about 'being' in the world around me. Talk to everybody. Walk on Hollywood and Highland and actually talk to somebody. Everybody's got a story. It's not quite as sexy as New York, but Los Angeles is really quite beautiful. Warts and all.

Future

Bruh, it obvious you have not been looking for apartments in the last year. SM prices are now through the roof. My friend lives on 2 nd street and Washington. He's been there like 6 years and he pays $1600 for 1BR. His new neighbors pay for same layout, nearly $3000. This all happened in the last 18 months. Prices got all jacked up real quick.

Glanced at Zillow and damn son. Don't see anything under 3k. Wtf I could never have moved here if it was like that. My mortgage is less than this shit. Almost zero 1 br listed as well

Kevtones

The Taco truck on Ave 27 and the Gorditas Lupitas on Eagle Rock Blvd. are still some of my favorite places to eat.

Yooooo <3

Glassell Park is coming along slowly but it's getting better. It's going to struggle in improving until it gets some more of it's 'own stuff'. It's coat tailing off Eagle Rock/Highland Park at the moment.

Chiggs

Bro. Let me help you. I've got friends that live on the Westside and in the Valley. They all want places to live, but everybody wants the 'luxury' of the Westside. I recommend Torrance and Redondo Beach all day, but I'm usually ignored by them. So, I give my sage advice to you. I'm walking distance from the South Bay Galleria. I live in a very spacious 2BR/2BA apt. I pay about 200.00 less than you. No crime. No grime. I can be at the beach in 10 minutes driving. You get the best of the beachside communities, and the best of yuppie living with commerce all around you and families (it's a family area) to keep you grounded. Diverse people. Access to everything. I even made a promo video about the apartments in my area. Just move away from the beach. Trust me, you'll be really glad that you did.

Oh! I remember that video. Thanks for posting it again!

Also, I really appreciate the comments in the rest of your post. Good stuff!

Calamari41

41 > 38
Anaheim is a completely separate world from LA proper. It might as well be a totally different state.

Yup, Orange County is definitely a different beast. You can actually see the county line on the freeways, as the pavement goes from Baghdad to brand new, and the lanes go from 4 to 7+. Especially drastic on the 405 as you hit the 605 offramp. It's not all sunshine and roses, but we definitely spend money on our infrastructure down here.

element

Subscribed. I'm talking with companies in Santa Monica, Culver City, Marina Del Rey area. I have friends that live there, but sounds totally random what you can find and for what price.

Feep

Banned
Burbank is pretty great. I have roommates, but I pay like $800 for my own room in a nice place, right near downtown Burbank, which is super walkable/bikable. I can get to downtown LA or Hollywood within 20 minutes without traffic and 40 with, plus I'm near some great Glendale and Pasadena spots.

Beach

I have 4 kids and my wife doesn't work so I cant afford to live in LA proper. We live in Santa Clarita, just north of LA by six flags. Everyone at work jokes about how far away I live but the 35-45 minute commute isn't that bad (I work by Universal) and we have a 2000 sq ft 4 bed house for $2600 which would be almost impossible to find in LA itself.

This is actually quite common, especially people with families. This is only from personal experience working with the City of LA from the past but the majority of the workers were either from the north like Santa Clarita or from the East like Covina and even Fontana. Its why the 5 south and the 10/210 west are absolute nightmares in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom