• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Xbox One Game Sizes (Forza 5, Ryse, DR3)

Chobel

Got'cha. I was saying it would be good to see if we can confirm (with AP even) where Xbone games can start being played. 7 gigs still seems a lot to start.

Killzone:SF is an open world game so you need install a big chunk of the world before you start playing in it. Because of this I'm assuming you need less than 7GB to play Forza 5 and Ryse because both are not open world games and you just download some selected levels. DR3, I dunno.

I wonder if gamestop will start offering download to your system in store services? Or maybe they could release demo discs that include that required initial data.

I'll have to stick with physical. Still, having to install/delete/reinstall sucks ass.

We need more 2TB 2.5 drives.

npa189

And they want people to use a 500GB HDD for the entire generation? Ryse is 47gb? Of what QTEs? How did games just balloon this big in like a month? The biggest game on my PC has to be battlefield 3, or a total war game at around 30gb. Ugh, so many hard drives to buy.

DeltaJay

Banned
Maybe the cutscenes are prerendered high quality movies? Would be in line with 1080p pixel counting from screenshots.

I can buy that for a dollar. It would break my heart though. I'm expecting a lengthy game out of Ryse. Prerendered cutscenes can take up a lot of space.

Sanke__

And they want people to use a 500GB HDD for the entire generation? Ryse is 47gb? Of what QTEs? How did games just balloon this big in like a month? The biggest game on my PC has to be battlefield 3, or a total war game at around 30gb. Ugh, so many hard drives to buy.
Im pretty sure max payne 3 is 50gb on pc and team fortress 2 is surprisingly huge and red orchestra 2 also.
And I seriously regret only having 500gb in my laptop (but SSDs are so nice)

Gemüsepizza;87517657 said:
Interesting, but I would like to know the size of CoD:Ghosts so we can compare it. There are already some CoD boxes out there, unfortunately no one has posted the game size yet.

That would be so flawed, I wouldn't know where to begin. There could be gigs worth of difference for reasons that have nothing at all to do with the actual graphical content.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Got'cha. I was saying it would be good to see if we can confirm (with AP even) where Xbone games can start being played. 7 gigs still seems a lot to start.
It doesn't work like that, it'll vary by game depending on what the devs consider the first level of the game and the size of the assets used in that portion. Something like an open world game that uses a lot of shared assets from the get go is gonna require a bigger initial download than something like a racing game that starts out with a limited set of cars and tracks.

I honestly never thought it was. Why aren't PC game sizes this outrageous?
Cause devs had to take into consideration the 360's DVD size limits during this gen and in doing so they held back the audio/video quality of PC/PS3 versions of their games. No more ~8GB DVD limits for next gen means devs can pump out HQ assets and use them across XBO/PS4/PC.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Love it. I hated how the 360 DVD size limits lowered the quality of video/audio on multiplatform titles across the board.

And now our hard drives will satiate our hunger for mandatory installs. Please think about the hard drives.

i have been doing it for years on pc and my hdd is fine. you realize games use the hdd for loading too right?

And you realize it's not the same situation? Constantly installing > 30 GB games is going to wear out a drive. I didn't mean "kill a drive instantaneously."

You constantly play more than 9 games at a time?

No, but I do revisit games on a whim sometimes. I like to go back to older games on the occasion. Of course, with mandatory installs being a thing now, I doubt I'll be doing that as much.

ok i seriously now wonder how in the universe this all digital future would have worked out when this shit is the average game size

Buy game discs the same exact way we can now, install it, play it. If you maybe run low on space the hard drive, delete the game. If you decide you want to play that game you deleted later on, no need to download it, just make sure you still have your disc, which you can use for the installation process again.

As a bonus we wouldn't have needed to swap discs :( We could just be fast switching between whatever happens to be installed on our hard drives. The game sizes wouldn't have presented an issue.

Would have worked out? If you mean before the 180 then it's the same. The retail discs before the 180 were just install discs like they are now. Now the disc needs to stay in the console and can be resold or traded.

What he said.

Amir0x

Banned
Never said you shouldn't be. There's just different levels to being worried about it.

I'm personally not that worried about it since the majority of games that I go back to play when the gen is over are pick up and play -- so not that many games from these past 2 gens.

Ah, just seemed like you thought it wasn't something worth worrying about. I definitely am concerned about buying games digitally and then my ownership disappearing because it arbitrarily disappears off a server and I deleted it for some reason before I could re-download.

Buy game discs the same exact way we can now, install it, play it. If you maybe run low on space the hard drive, delete the game. If you decide you want to play that game you deleted later on, no need to download it, just make sure you still have your disc, which you can use for the installation process again.

As a bonus we wouldn't have needed to swap discs :( We could just be fast switching between whatever happens to be installed on our hard drives. The game sizes wouldn't have presented an issue.

Senjutsu, it doesn't wrap neatly like this as far as I'm concerned, sorry. The whole purpose of the new system was to encourage people to go all digital. What you're describing is what most people would be forced to do because of the absurd installation sizes, which is exactly the problem. The entire point behind Microsoft's purpose before the 180s, despite what you want to think, was to reduce or eliminate people's reliance on physical retail and therefore give Microsoft and pub/devs more direct and choking control over the terms of selling games. In this all-digital future, Microsoft and pub/devs would control every aspect of the distribution. They would give 'select retailers' access to the ability to trade-in and rent, but for a fee.

What you are basically saying is the system was so poorly thought out that it would have ended up not working that way anyhow, since most people would default to having to utilize retail discs.

And even then, the whole 'disc swapping' convenience is completely null when you have to worry about installing 50GB games every other week and trying to shuffle games on and off the HDD because you're stuffed. Considering you don't even really get 500GB, but like 460GB to start with, you're already off to a bad start. You're talking if the average retail sizes average 40GB, you'll get maybe 11-15 games on the HDD.

I always thought the whole idea was silly: why do we care about the 'inconvenience' of having to swap discs for two seconds, when you have the 'inconvenience' of having to watch a game install for 8 or 9 minutes? Or having to uninstall games and figure out what to keep or not every few months. It's just exchanging one inconvenience for another, even putting aside that it's completely counter intuitive to Microsoft's clear goal of an all-digital future, which they've stated publically endlessly and which the Xbox One prior to the 180s was clearly almost entirely on the way there, were it not for the small concession of a disc drive.

Even in 5 years, you think the internet infrastructure in America is going to be where it needs to be for an all-digital platform with average 40GB installs for most retail releases?

npa189

Im pretty sure max payne 3 is 50gb on pc and team fortress 2 is surprisingly huge and red orchestra 2 also.
And I seriously regret only having 500gb in my laptop (but SSDs are so nice)

Yup, you're totally right, and I have all those games too, lol. I guess it's just not really an issue on PC, so I didn't even think about it. Just a console that big, and a non-replaceable 500GB drive is just stupid, so you will need an external hanging off that big VCR too.

Vire

Is the Xbox One HD replaceable? Or are they offering proprietary HD upgrades?

If not... welp that's going to be a lot of deleting and redownloading.

Nope, which is why we need the usb patch asap. At least with the ps4 you could change the hdd.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

No it is not replaceable. No upgrades. External USB 3.0 drives are supported to store game data. Once they patch it in.

Vire

Nope, which is why we need the usb patch asap. At least with the ps4 you could change the hdd.

Was nothing thought out with this console? Sounds idiotic.

Why would they remove that feature from 360... Hopefully they patch in the external support soon. Because it will be needed sooner or later.

No it is not replaceable. No upgrades. External USB 3.0 drives are supported to store game data. Once they patch it in.

How big are USB 3.0 Drives these days anyway?

Was nothing thought out with this console? Sounds idiotic.

Why would they remove that feature from 360...

How big are USB 3.0 Drives these days anyway?

Well they can be any size i think. What i am doing is taking an ssd that i have and connecting it to a usb 3.0 adapter. Flash drives are a no-go due to performance issues.

Vire

They've said it's coming after launch, but no real specifics.

As long as they know it's a problem and a solution is coming relatively soon, I'm okay with it. I won't fill up 10 games immediately, but it still seems like a rather large oversight.

I'm hoping SSD prices go down by the time I fill the 500 GB's up on the PS4... :/

def sim

As long as they know it's a problem and a solution is coming relatively soon, I'm okay with it. I won't fill up 10 games immediately, but it still seems like a rather large oversight.

I'm hoping SSD prices go down by the time I fill the 500 GB's up on the PS4... :/

A 1TB SSD could be around the price of a PS4 by next fall. You should probably stick to mechanical hard drives for a while longer.

iceatcs

I honestly never thought it was. Why aren't PC game sizes this outrageous?
Eh? It had been lot of massive files from steam, most of them are bigger than 360. I assume because of number of same textures but each different quality.

Top Bottom