• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 06 PC fan game - Dusty Desert Demo

No one made a thread yet I guess more interest in Sonic 2 HD but SAGE is going on so who wants to play this?

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhaVO4Un0xU
Download: https://sonicfangameshq.com/SAGE/2017/09/27/sonic-the-hedgehog/

TGHDtxxHWXc.jpg

8Vh6hQW57qk.jpg

Poketune

I've said it before, but the Sonic gameplay from 06 if done right, is totally salvageable. Gonna try this later

I've said it before, but the Sonic gameplay from 06 if done right, is totally salvageable. Gonna try this later

This project has made the game far more playable, but 06 even at its potential best is still a very mediocre game. There's so many poor design choices, you'd be better off just making a new game instead.

This project has made the game far more playable, but 06 even at its potential best is still a very mediocre game. There's so many poor design choices, you'd be better off just making a new game instead.
Yea like.. I don't get this. The game as a whole isn't great, not just the glitches. Even if it was 100% bug-free we'd still have to play as over 10 shitty characters with bad controls, the weird and boring level design + hub worlds would still exist, the awful story wouldn't go anywhere... it would still be a mess.

I'd play a remaster by Segway if they fixed the glitches and bugs and beastaility

That's the thing, some of the levels being fun is basically the only redeeming aspect of the game. :V They'd basically need to transplant them into a better game.

Radical Train could be really cool if it got its edges ironed out or an update as great as Generations Crisis City.

Never played 06, but the level ports from it to Generations PC is actually more fun than the 3D levels of Generations itself.

The level design is more fun and less straight, and the enemies are more threatening. I seriously doubt the accuracy is 1:1, but that just probably means the modders knew what did and didn't work since I ended up having a blast.

But then, I never cared for boost gameplay, so I admit to having some bias... A new Sonic-only Adventure game by people more competent than Sonic Team would be exciting.

Kneefoil

I haven't played the OG Sonic 2006, but I have watched it being played a lot, and the level layout seemed to be spot on at least. Didn't really like how Sonic handled, and the camera wasn't the greatest (and not only because of the X-axis), but this still isn't the finished game, and for all I know, this is how they were in the real Sonic 2006.

One marked improvement I noticed was Sonic doesn't immediately die upon touching the quicksand, you slowly sink and can use Elise's fire shield to levitate back up. Still doesn't fix the moments where enemies and level hazards can get cheap shots off of you upon getting out of scripted sections and needing to take out damage sponges in order to progress

If the team's intent is to make port Sonic 06 to PC, they should only do the acts and stop right there. Bosses, Soleana's hub world, cutscenes, etc should not even be bothered

Mr-Joker

Banned
I had forgotten how slooow Sonic was in that game, I also like how the game doesn't explain how Sonic gained the power to create the bubble allowing him to walk on the quicksand.

This pretty much, Sonic 06 is not a good game as the game wrecks the flow of the game play by forcing you to switch characters, Silver was slow and just not fun to play as and the less is said about Shadow the better.

The story is just far too serous and just out of place in a Sonic game also Elise was just pointless.

Unleashed may had the Werehog but the game at its core was just more enjoyable to play and the story was actually pretty good and I didn't find Chip to be annoying.

correct

It's also the one where Sonic is stabbed in the chest

Spoilers!

It was actually in the back.

Ogodei

Honestly if they manage to debug it well, i'll give it a crack. It's basically Sonic Adventure 3 and i never played the game before (given that i never had PS3 or 360).

Zafir

This pretty much, Sonic 06 is not a good game as the game wrecks the flow of the game play by forcing you to switch characters, Silver was slow and just not fun to play as and the less is said about Shadow the better.

Pretty much. The other characters in Sonic 06 were just awful. I can't remember liking a single section I played as another character. They even managed to ruin Shadow, which is fascinating considering Shadow actually had decent levels in Sonic Adventure 2.

Plus the level design was just really questionable. Loads of places where you'd hit speedboosts or springs and go flying into things and lose your rings without you being able to do anything about it. I mean that'd be fine if it was done in a smart way like older 2D Sonic games, or even Sonic Mania, where you could clearly see using it was going to result in death due to spikes or whatever. It's just not though.

I remember some questionable physics(especially during mach sections) and camera issues, too.

There's a load that would need fixing....

Verder

one of my least favorite parts....... played it and it ran fine though

i wouldnt mind a full blown port of this on pc.

the game was great fuck the haters

BaconHat

Played the demo earlier today.

It's incredible seeing a version of sonic 2006 without the horrible loading times and 10,000 bugs.
Granted, this will not make the game fun to most people, but i still like playing this demo, along with the previous kingdom valley one.

Fun fact: There is an Easter egg in the demo if you manage to find and defeat all of the blue robots.

Sonic 06 is like a house you step into that is falling apart at the seems and is in need of dire, dire renovations. But like those HGTV shows that bust the kitchen wall down to open up the room, there is as much potential for a rejuvinated look the right retooling can do. So from a fixer-upper standpoint, I can see the allure and challange of really flexing your modding/development muscles by building a fully functioning improved version of a game that is lacking in so many ways.

With the edges roughed out, load times cleared, a legitimately functioning light-core system, abilities that actually leveled up as advertised in the manual and hell, the day-night cycle functionality that was promised in 2005 with their initial tech demo- this could be one hell of a project to resurrect. I wish these folks godspeed and good luck.

Foffy

Banned
Sonic 06 is one of the worst games ever made.

And yet, I believe it deserves to be on PC.

Maybe people can polish a turd?

Berordn

Were the animations always this janky? Looks really bad, especially when Sonic is in the air.

My memory of the original game is spotty at best, but this seems to be pretty accurate.

It's also still not very good, but shit lemons make shit lemonade.

Guess Who

Banned
I stand by my position on this that I have always taken, which is that I have the utmost respect for the talent and dedication that has gone into this project, but sincerely believe all this effort and time would be better spent on almost anything else.

The most exciting thing about this for me is the speedruns that could happen. The current 06 route is very entertaining and I kinda hope the janky physics are kept in since a PC port would just help so much with the loading times alone.

Aequitas

Well on one hand it looks like the team are trying to actually implement the non-existent mechanics that were promised in pressers for the game.

BUT fixing Elise’s orange legs? That’s one step too far for me. Pass.

robotrock

Banned
Well on one hand it looks like the team are trying to actually implement the non-existent mechanics that were promised in pressers for the game.

BUT fixing Elise’s orange legs? That’s one step too far for me. Pass.

Sonic's arms aren't blue!

Lijik

i was playing a bit of 06 on 360 the other month and over 10 years later its still astonishing how every aspect of the game feels like someone poorly modded sonic gameplay into a game that wasnt supposed to handle it and gave up a month in

its like if that warcraft 3 mario kart mod was a full legit mario kart game that also had a plot with beastiality in it

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This is fascinating but...it's still very similar to the original (which is impressive in its own right as this is a Unity project now).

I'm surprised they chose this level, though, as it feels terrible to play as Sonic while carrying a princess.

Top Bottom