• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 3D Blast – An Flicky Island Adventure!

RK128

S3D1.PNG

This game is interesting, as its one of many firsts for the Sonic series. Not only is it the very first 3D game for the series but it was also the first Sonic title that was developed by a Western Studio; Travelers Tales. This studio is famous now for the hit Lego series but they did A LOT during the Genesis/SNES era.

The original Toy Story got a Genesis/SNES game that used pre-rendered character models (like DKC on the SNES) and worked with hand drawn animation, using it for a really damn good Mickey Mouse platformer called Mickey Mana.

I never played their Toy Story 1 game but I LOVED Mickey Mania, underrated gem :). Fun Fact: Twisted Metal and God of War Creator David Jaffe was one of the head guys behind that game!

hqdefault.jpg

mickey-mania-timeless-adventures-of-mickey-mouse-05.png

mickey-mania-the-timeless-adventures-of-mickey-mouse-20080630043126165_640w.jpg

So, while Sonic Team moved on to new projects/IP (Nights into Dreams, Ristar, Burning Rangers) after Sonic 3&K, Sega called them up saying “We love the technology you use for game development and we want you to make a 3D platformer in the Sonic series on the Genesis!” Remember how I said in the 3&K thread where Naka wanted Sonic 3 to be a 3D platformer? This idea came back here and Travelers Tales made it a top-down isometric platformer with Sonic’s goal being to save the little critiers that pop out of Robotnik’s badniks.

Every level’s goal is to save five creatures per section, with each level having 2-3 sections to clear. How can Sonic do this? Simple! He jumps, rolls and spindashes his way through robots to save the creatures and they follow him after being saved. They are useful, as you can use them to make a ‘trial’ that allows you to pick up object high above some red springs and can warp you to the next section of the level when you touch a special ring.

The issue……is that every time you get hit, you lose the little creatures and they fly all about, with you chasing after them AND the lost rings. Remember Yoshi’s Island where baby Mario cries when Yoshi gets hit? How about having to find that flying bubble with additional coins and stuff scattered around? Sounds fuuuun……

09a-Annoyed-Sonic.png

To be serious for a moment, I don’t mind this system as it’s a nice different take on the traditional Sonic gameplay style. Levels being mission focused give them meaning and with open levels to explore, it is fun to me honestly :D!

I have issue with how Sonic controls, as he is a bit stiff. Makes some of the harder platforming moments a bit tricky.

But overall, it controls well enough and I have fun running around in this game.

Like the Genesis games, Sonic has momentum going all over the place and trademark Sonic elements are here in full force:
286-2010-06-13-19-32-04.png

0.jpg

Sonic is fast here and it leads to some fun levels.

Green Grove is the trademark Green Hill-like zone with a great theme in the Genesis version (Saturn/PC version here).
246301-s3dbcap1.jpg

Rusty Ruin is a bit of a tricky stage with Sonic having the gimmick of turning into a spinning top that can smash through pillars:
rr1.gif

Spring Stadium is the pinball level of the game, with springs being everywhere and with everything having this 3D craze going on, level design has more layers then before. So, getting to the top of the stage and hunting for the Flickies is a bit tricky.
SpringStadium.png

Diamond Dust is the snow level of game with ice physics coming into the picture. The tricky controls become even more tricky here but.....this theme in the Genesis version pushes you through and makes this a really great stage to run through.
diamonddust12.png

Volcano Valley is the lava level of the game with, well lava being all over the place! Using the fire shield can be very helpful here, as it allows you to walk over fire with little issue. I'm assuming the level design here was focused on you retaining you're shield as long as you can......
S3D6.PNG

Gene Gadget and Puppet Panic Zones are more or less the the same; factory stages with you dealing with the hardest platforming in the game. What makes Puppet Panic Zone so interesting is that Act 1 and Act 2 function different compared every other level in the game. Act 1 has you freeing Flicky's from pillars in the stage (the story of the game literally states that Robotnik didn't get a chance to robotize them in time, so 'Gotta go fast!' *cough*) while Act 2 is a normal Sonic stage. You just run to the end and that's it; no more saving Flickies (as you saved the last few in Act 1).
latest

GGBadnikMaus.PNG

S3D8.PNG

The bosses with Robonik are very easy (outside of the Extra Final one), as due the 3D perspective, they make it very easy to get to the weak points and provide plenty of rings (about.....10-20 for each boss) to survive.

- - - - - - -

The game is enjoyable and despite some issue with the controls, I enjoyed my time revisiting this one :D!

Travelers Tales is a great developer and between this and Sonic R, they did right on the series part. Them and the team behind Sonic 2 did a great job with Sonic :).

Which is a LOT more then I can say for some western developers tackling the series. When I get to Sonic Chronicles.....oh boy, going to have fun ripping that game a new one ;).

Sanzaru did a solid job with Shattered Crystal, considering it was there very first Sonic title and they got only a year or so to make it. Fire & Ice is promising due to it apparently fixing key issues from Shattered Crystal, but I will get to that latter on).

- - - - - -

My above point relates to this next fact, as Travelers Tales was commissioned into making a Saturn port of 3D Blast in a short time as a back-up for Sonic Xtreme being scrapped.

Sonic_X-treme_Coverart.png

So, one must ask "How do you take a Genesis game, and make it look better on a stronger console? We don't have enough time to remake the game......" But, they DID do a lot to make the Saturn version better then the Genesis version :D!

Controls: The Saturn got an analog controller version thanks to Nights into Dreams being made, so, that was supported for this version of 3D Blast. It makes the controls a bit better, leading to platforming being a bit more responsive.

Visuals: This is the most interesting one (next to the special stages), as the colors are more detailed and a bit more realistic if that makes sense.
sonic3d-2.png

Side-by-Side-Sonic-3D-Blast-3.gif

As one could see, added texture was given to stages and in some cases, special effects were added in some stages like Rusty Ruin Zone:
rustyruin12.jpg

So, visually, the looks a bit better :).

Special Stages: I didn't touch on this, as the Saturn version has some of the best special stages in Sonic history. Its more or less a updated take on the Sonic 2 half-pipe but....Sonic is in 3D for the FIRST TIME?!?

hqdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np76lPXKfCo

Sega of Japan produced these special stages to make the Saturn version different from the Genesis and PC versions, and they rock! Sonic controls well, the visuals and music are great here and its just nice seeing Sonic in full 3D. When this came out (1996), it was the very first time many people saw the Blue Blur moving in 3D on consoles at the time; it was some sight to behold and it got people hyped for the possibilities of the Saturn for Sonic.

We got Sonic the Fighters prior to this and that looked great! But its nice seeing Sonic run around in 3D though :).

The Genesis Special Stages? Oh, they looked like this:
S3DMDSST.png

I mean....its impressive for the Genesis and stuff, but nothing compared to the Saturn version. So, that makes it the best version hands down, right?

Interesting enough, the PC version got a unique special stage too! Rlan pointed this out and here is footage of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF5uKs8mz8I

Thank you for sharing man!

Music:
Well, this is the element that will make you chose one version over the other, as just like Sonic CD, 3D Blast has different soundtracks based on which version you play.

The Genesis version was composed by Jun Senoue (known for his latter work on the Adventure and 3D titles) while the Saturn/PC version was composed by Richard Jacques, know for his future work on Sonic R and latter down the line, the All Stars Racing series.

Saturn/PC Soundtrack:
Green Grove Act 1
Rusty Ruins Act 1
Spring Stadium Act 1
Diamond Dust Act 1
Gene Gadget Act 1
Volcano Valley Act 1
Puppet Panic Act 1
Puppet Panic Act 2

Genesis Soundtrack:
Green Grove Act 1
Rusty Ruins Act 1
Spring Stadium Act 1
Diamond Dust Act 1
Gene Gadget Act 1
Volcano Valley Act 1
Puppet Panic Act 1
Puppet Panic Act 2

The main difference between the two is that the Genesis version is rooted in the Genesis era being focused on catchy themes and melodies while the Saturn version is present to build up atmosphere and establish the tone for each stage. Both are great for different reasons but like the CD soundtrack, some prefer one over the other. I love both and I like tracks in both OST's (Rusty Ruins Act 1 rocks in both versions for example!)

Conclusion:
Both are great versions of a fun game, so....give both a look! The Saturn/PC version so far less common compared to the Genesis version but still, its nice to have options.

- - - - - - -

I liked playing this game and while it isn't up there with the other Classic Era platformers, its still a good action adventure for the blue hedgehog :D. Will be back latter with a thread that will get you itching for some spinball ;).

latest

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
People seem to hate that game, but I really loved it as a kid. The main reason was that it was the only Sonic game I could play on my PC, since I didn't have a Sega console.

In retrospect, it was pretty bad, but I still enjoyed my time with it back in the day.

MrHoot

I recently replayed finally the saturn version of it thanks to an emulator and..well I still like it.

It's far from being a great game, and it's not at all like a "good sonic game" but I have like a whole bunch of nostalgia tied to this game. In particular the saturn version.

The music, the special stage and the ambiance (especially the ruins) left a huge impact. I find Sonic 3D to be actually very relaxing for me.

I used to unconditionally love the saturn soundtrack over the genesis. Although in more recent years i've reconsidered that for a few tracks. I end up liking both a lot.

And hell yeah the bonus stage on saturn is hands downs the best version of the half pipe they ever did, and probably the most fun bonus stage in a sonic game I played (the genesis one is hot garbage tho)

The PC version is a weird inbetween tho. For starters I NEVER managed to make it run with music. Also the bonus stage, while somewhat similar to saturn, has none of the pazzazz. But there is the upgraded graphics compared to genesis.

For me it's Saturn > Megadrive > PC

bman94

I loved this game as a kid. I was kinda difficult only because isometric games are terrible at platforming. Never got a chance to play the Saturn version tho, only the genesis version.

I played this on the PC years before I tried the Genesis version, so by default I hated the Genesis for just feeling so lackluster to an already meh game.

Rusty Ruins Act 2 (PC/Saturn) is the best song in the game though, so goddamn good.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Funfact; quite a few of the music got remixed for Sonic Adventure.

Anyway Sonic 3D blast is okay but I haven't played too much of it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I used to think this was the worst Sonic game ever until I played Sonic Blast and Sonic Labyrinth.

3D Blast is still mediocre at best though.

Synth

Definitely preferred the Saturn soundtrack to the Genesis one. Rusty Ruins especially is one of my favourite tracks in any Sonic game ever.

As for sonic being in 3D for the first time though, in the arcades there was already Sonic the Fighters. :p

RK128

I recently replayed finally the saturn version of it thanks to an emulator and..well I still like it.

It's far from being a great game, and it's not at all like a "good sonic game" but I have like a whole bunch of nostalgia tied to this game. In particular the saturn version.

The music, the special stage and the ambiance (especially the ruins) left a huge impact. I find Sonic 3D to be actually very relaxing for me.

I used to unconditionally love the saturn soundtrack over the genesis. Although in more recent years i've reconsidered that for a few tracks. I end up liking both a lot.

And hell yeah the bonus stage on saturn is hands downs the best version of the half pipe they ever did, and probably the most fun bonus stage in a sonic game I played (the genesis one is hot garbage tho)

The PC version is a weird inbetween tho. For starters I NEVER managed to make it run with music. Also the bonus stage, while somewhat similar to saturn, has none of the pazzazz. But there is the upgraded graphics compared to genesis.

For me it's Saturn > Megadrive > PC

Okay, need to clarify on that part about 'good sonic game'. Its a good Sonic game made by western developers, in the sense that while underwhelming compared to the other Sonic's, its still enjoyable and fun.

Bioware and Big Red Button are cases were western developers made horrid Sonic games and Sanzaru made a flawed but promising game....but will get to those latter on in much greater detail.

Edit: Sorry everyone, missed a major fact regarding Sonic with western developers; western developers helped make Sonic 2 and that was an amazing game. Sorry for any confusion or saying any false information everyone :(.

MrHoot

Okay, need to carify on that part about 'good sonic game'. Its a good Sonic game made by western developers, in the sense that while underwhelming compared to the other Sonic's, its still enjoyable and fun.

Bioware and Big Red Button are cases were western developers made horrid Sonic games and Sanzaru made a flawed but promising game....but will get to those latter on in much greater detail.

Oh yeah no I don't disagree.

When I wrote like not a "good sonic game" (and wasn't referencing to something you wrote, apologies), i meant like not in what would constitute a good game obeying to traditional sonic mantra (tight platforming and control of speed and momentum). Basically like not something in the continuation of the spirit of 3&K, or not really going into the direction of the future entries.

But still, I enjoyed my time with it a lot

RK128

Definitely preferred the Saturn soundtrack to the Genesis one. Rusty Ruins especially is one of my favourite tracks in any Sonic game ever.

As for sonic being in 3D for the first time though, in the arcades there was already Sonic the Fighters. :p

Okay, will edit the OP with that information. Thank you for sharing that! Honestly thought Sonic the Fighters came out latter......

Oh yeah no I don't disagree.

When I wrote like not a "good sonic game" (and wasn't referencing to something you wrote, apologies), i meant like not in what would constitute a good game obeying to traditional sonic mantra (tight platforming and control of speed and momentum). Basically like not something in the continuation of the spirit of 3&K, or not really going into the direction of the future entries.

But still, I enjoyed my time with it a lot

Its cool man :D! Just wanted to clarify something, as I get your point completely :

Richard Jacques the God. I'm pretty sure the Saturn Rusty Ruins Act 1 theme is the first time I went out of my way to listen to music outside of a video game.

RK128

tumblr_inline_ngupg7nZDH1r3jp53.png

I still cannot comprehend how Bioware could've fucked up THAT much on the soundtrack department. Like really, what happened, i'm still wondering

Apparently, the B-Team (the ones making game) lost the the OST files at some point late in development, so they used early midi files for the final game in a slap-dash effort to get the soundtrack ready.

Though, you COULD have just put the original tracks to compensate but NOPE! Lets mess up our first shot at Sonic :D? What could possible go wrong?!

MrHoot

Apparently, the B-Team (the ones making game) lost the the OST files at some point late in development, so they used early midi files for the final game in a slap-dash effort to get the soundtrack ready.

Though, you COULD have just put the original tracks to compensate but NOPE! Lets mess up our first shot at Sonic :D? What could possible go wrong?!

Yeah I mean that still sounds weird. Surely getting someone to replicate these tracks without botching wouldn'tve been unsurmountable. Really seems like a last minute effort

RK128

Yeah I mean that still sounds weird. Surely getting someone to replicate these tracks without botching wouldn'tve been unsurmountable. Really seems like a last minute effort

Its as if the entire game was thrown together in six months or so to get the game out the door, just taking in the Sega check and putting the max amount of effort toward EA-funded projects or something ;).......

But yeah, the music shouldn't have sounded so half-hearted :l

MrHoot

One thing that can definitively fuck off tho, and especially in the saturn version, and especially ESPECIALLY act 2 is Spring Stadium. Both the music and level design is irritating as shit. Like being kicked in the nuts by a whole clown parade

I remember getting the PC version of CD at a Jack in the Box drive-thru as a kid, the game Bug! too. They were both only a dollar or two.

Ended up playing a pretty decent amount of 3D Blast since I never had a Sega console growing up, it was alright but I could never progress too far.

bman94

Holy shit, this is my first time hearing the Saturn soundtrack for this game. I'm listening to them both back to back and I really can't decide which is better. I have nostalgia ingrained in the Genesis version but damn is the Saturn version a work of art.

lazygecko

tumblr_inline_ngupg7nZDH1r3jp53.png

I still cannot comprehend how Bioware could've fucked up THAT much on the soundtrack department. Like really, what happened, i'm still wondering

Apparently they originally had a completely different soundtrack mostly based on the music from Sonic 1-2, but licensing issues popped up at the very last minute. So what they literally did was just grab a bunch of MIDIs of other Sonic games from vgmusic.com and just ran them through a converter.

Synth

One thing that can definitively fuck off tho, and especially in the saturn version, and especially ESPECIALLY act 2 is Spring Stadium. Both the music and level design is irritating as shit. Like being kicked in the nuts by a whole clown parade

I really like the music in Spring Stadium Act 1 (Saturn). Act 2's is legitimately annoying though, I'll give you that.

And yea the stage itself can fuck right off.

It's a so so game but the music is awesome.

MD OST > Saturn OST for me.

Yep, Genesis OST is the better one. Rusty Ruin is incredible, but I can't even pick a favorite.

I always liked how the title in regions outside the US was Sonic 3D: Flickie's Island, but if you just glanced at it, it kinda looked like Fuckie's Island.

Ss7x7Lj.png

RK128

Apparently they originally had a completely different soundtrack mostly based on the music from Sonic 1-2, but licensing issues popped up at the very last minute. So what they literally did was just grab a bunch of MIDIs of other Sonic games from vgmusic.com and just ran them through a converter.

Um......don't they know Sega doesn't own the full rights to Sonic 1-2's score? That was clear for a very long time, as Sega has to pay every time they re-release the games, remix a few tracks or simply use them in other games.

It likely went down like this in that case.....
Sega: You can use every track from Sonic 3 onwards for the ost guys :).
Bioware: Um, we want to use the Sonic 1-2 soundtracks for remixes? We loved those games :).
Sega: Um, we don't own the rights to those.....we have to pay to use them.
Bioware: Oh.....um, we didn't know that. And? Well.....we have to ship the game in three months and......
Sega: COMMON MAN X(

Bioware must not have known that but still......then use the Game Gear tracks as reference and a few Sonic Advance/Rush tracks for the OST then :l.

RK128

I really like the music in Spring Stadium Act 1 (Saturn). Act 2's is legitimately annoying though, I'll give you that.

And yea the stage itself can fuck right off.

Spring Stadium is my least favorite stage out of the games selection of zones honestly :(. I like the idea behind the stage (using layers) but still, such poor execution X(.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Okay, need to clarify on that part about 'good sonic game'. Its a good Sonic game made by western developers, in the sense that while underwhelming compared to the other Sonic's, its still enjoyable and fun.

Sonic 2 is a good Sonic game made by Western developers.

Synth

I know he did the Sonic R soundtrack, but I didn't know he did the Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed soundtrack as well. I love both of those too, any other video game soundtracks he composed?

All sorts of awesome stuff.

A couple of tracks for Jet Set Radio (and Future). An awesome soundtrack for Headhunter. All the remixes and original music for Outrun 2. Everything in Metropolis Street Racer.

He's awesome basically.

RK128

I know he did the Sonic R soundtrack, but I didn't know he did the Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed soundtrack as well. I love both of those too, any other video game soundtracks he composed?

He composed a LOT of games XD!

Wikipedia Page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Jacques#Video_games

He recently composed Boom: Shattered Crystal and it sounded Sonic like to me :D. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTs-xXtdutA&list=PL74J84MMs4fFkU5pEyaXaPbLioRZPaTpq

Sonic 2 is a good Sonic game made by Western developers.

That's right.....going to edit the OP now. Sorry for that confusion Man God :(.

Guess Who

Banned
Even when I was an kid I thought this was an pretty terrible game. It didn't really control or feel anything like an Sonic game, and the isometric perspective made judging depth for jumping on enemies really awkward. The controls are also super slippery. It looked very pretty for an Genesis game, though, I'll give it that. Actually, I kinda prefer the Genesis backgrounds to the Saturn/PC ones - I always felt the Saturn ones were too desaturated and busy. Like:

bQNTuf6.gif

The Genesis one looks like an god damn Sonic level, you know? The Saturn one is too dingy.

RK128

Even when I was an kid I thought this was an pretty terrible game. It didn't really control or feel anything like an Sonic game, and the isometric perspective made judging depth for jumping on enemies really awkward. The controls are also super slippery. It looked very pretty for an Genesis game, though, I'll give it that. Actually, I kinda prefer the Genesis backgrounds to the Saturn/PC ones - I always felt the Saturn ones were too desaturated and busy. Like:

bQNTuf6.gif

The Genesis one looks like an god damn Sonic level, you know? The Saturn one is too dingy.

I agree that the Genesis version is more 'Sonic' then the Saturn one most of the time. But the Saturn version has a lot of great visual moments though (Rusty Ruin mainly), so that's why I said in the OP it looked good :).

Top Bottom