• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 3D Blast – An Flicky Island Adventure!

bman94

All sorts of awesome stuff.

A couple of tracks for Jet Set Radio (and Future). An awesome soundtrack for Headhunter. All the remixes and original music for Outrun 2. Everything in Metropolis Street Racer.

He's awesome basically.

He composed a LOT of games XD!

Wikipedia Page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Jacques#Video_games

He recently composed Boom: Shattered Crystal and it sounded Sonic like to me :D. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTs-xXtdutA&list=PL74J84MMs4fFkU5pEyaXaPbLioRZPaTpq

Jesus, well thanks you guys, I've got a lot video game music to catch up on now.

Rlan

In addition: The PC version's special stage is all sorts of weird and ugly.

218175-sonic-3d-blast-windows-screenshot-special-stage.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF5uKs8mz8I

Kind of crazy that they made three seperate types of special stages for the game. That's a lot of work!

Also, this is the best thing to use for the Megadrive version so you don't get cramps.

joy023.jpg

RK128

In addition: The PC version's special stage is all sorts of weird and ugly.

218175-sonic-3d-blast-windows-screenshot-special-stage.png

Kind of crazy that they made three seperate types of special stages for the game. That's a lot of work!

Also, this is the best thing to use for the Megadrive version so you don't get cramps.

joy023.jpg

Wow, never knew the PC version had a unique special stage......

Will find footage of it online and update the OP. Thank you for sharing man :D!

RK128

Technically I suppose. Although STI was mostly made up of Japanese developers brought over from Japan though, weren't they?

If I remember correctly......it was a hybrid of Japanese and Western developers, with the western developers mainly developing Sonic 2, while the Japanese developers focused on Sonic CD. Sonic 2 was well, 2 games being made at once and thus was split into unique products.

Then again, not sure about this, so I could be wrong saying that.

Guess Who

Banned
If I remember correctly......it was a hybrid of Japanese and Western developers, with the western developers mainly developing Sonic 2, while the Japanese developers focused on Sonic CD. Sonic 2 was well, 2 games being made at once and thus was split into unique products.

Then again, not sure about this, so I could be wrong saying that.

Sonic CD was not at STI at all, it was handled by Sega of Japan.

The STI team that handled Sonic 2 was indeed a mix of both Japanese and Western developers, with several prominent Sonic 1 staff coming to the US to work on it (such as Yuji Naka and Hirokazu Yasuhara). Most of the western staff that worked on S2 were level and character artists; programming and level design was chiefly handled by Japanese developers.

RK128

Sonic CD was not at STI at all, it was handled by Sega of Japan.

The STI team that handled Sonic 2 was indeed a mix of both Japanese and Western developers, with several prominent Sonic 1 staff coming to the US to work on it (such as Yuji Naka and Hirokazu Yasuhara). Most of the western staff that worked on S2 were level and character artists; programming and level design was chiefly handled by Japanese developers.

Interesting.....thank you for clarifying this information! Always nice learning something new about your favorite series :). Thank you for sorting everything out!

I love your write-ups RK! They make me really want a Sonic Collection on 3DS.

I'm an English major for a reason XD! Glad you are enjoying my Sonic Retrospective threads buddy :). We DID get a Sonic Collection on DS which has the original trilogy:
latest

Runs great on DSi/3DS, so give it a shot if you want Sonic on the go :D.

lazygecko

I think it's pretty impressive how the cartridge Genesis version has a full color FMV intro sequence. The only other Genesis game I can think of with FMV is Red Zone, but that's 1-bit (ie 2 colors) masquerading as a stylized silhouette sequence.

It also has one of the very best out of the numerous custom Sega logo animations.

segalogo_sonic3dy3rkv.gif

RK128

I think it's pretty impressive how the cartridge Genesis version has a full color FMV intro sequence. The only other Genesis game I can think of with FMV is Red Zone, but that's 1-bit (ie 2 colors) masquerading as a stylized silhouette sequence.

It also has one of the very best out of the numerous custom Sega logo animations.

segalogo_sonic3dy3rkv.gif

Love that Sega logo too; I agree it was impressive they got a FMV scene at all running on the Genesis.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I'm an English major for a reason XD! Glad you are enjoying my Sonic Retrospective threads buddy :). We DID get a Sonic Collection on DS which has the original trilogy:
latest

It's weird how the full Sonic 3 & Knuckle games is called Knuckle in Sonic 3 or some weird shit.

Got really confusing when I brought the game as I thought that they didn't add the lock on feature.

Love that Sega logo too; I agree it was impressive they got a FMV scene at all running on the Genesis.

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if it took up half of the entire cartridge space or more.

Just thinking of a few years after that when we had GBA carts with more storage space and a lower resolution that still only held like one episode of a TV show.

RK128

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if it took up half of the entire cartridge space or more.

Just thinking of a few years after that when we had GBA carts with more storage space and a lower resolution that still only held like one episode of a TV show.

I loved getting those GBA TV carts when I was little XD! Got the Sonic X and Nick ones :').

Wow, I didn't know each version of the game each had different special stages. I've only ever played it on the genesis and always thought they were way too easy. It would be nice to get a remastered port of the Saturn version, that music is really good! The game itself is alright I suppose. Sonic is too stiff and with the camera angle, it's hard to judge perception when jumping on an enemy. It would probably play better on the 3DS with the 3D effect on.

RK128

Wow, I didn't know each version of the game each had different special stages. I've only ever played it on the genesis and always thought they were way too easy. It would be nice to get a remastered port of the Saturn version, that music is really good! The game itself is alright I suppose. Sonic is too stiff and with the camera angle, it's hard to judge perception when jumping on an enemy. It would probably play better on the 3DS with the 3D effect on.

Glad you learned about the Saturn version from this thread! Wanted to talk about that as the differences are quite major between versions.

This was one of the games I owned on PC, and it was... alright, I guess. I put the effort into completing it. As brought up earlier, I believe I was one of the people who just couldn't get the music working, so I unfortunately didn't experience the soundtrack.

The fact that the PC version had different special stages than the Saturn version is news to me.

I never had a chance to play the Saturn version. I almost bought it at a blockbuster when they were clearing out their Saturn games (Which is pretty much how I got all of my Saturn games) and I chose not to get it because I owned the Genesis version and didn't particularly like it at the time.

I've come to respect the game. It's a fine enough game that bears the burden of being a not-so-fast Sonic game and coming out in 1996 as competition to Mario 64 and Crash Bandicoot 1. Under another title I don't think it would have received the same level of hatred.

Funnily enough, it's the 3rd Isometric Sonic game. SegaSonic Arcade and Sonic Labyrinth both came before it. Isometric wasn't Sonic's style...Even SegaSonic Arcade, which arguably is the best of the three titles, only really works because of its trackball style gameplay.

RK128

This was one of the games I owned on PC, and it was... alright, I guess. I put the effort into completing it. As brought up earlier, I believe I was one of the people who just couldn't get the music working, so I unfortunately didn't experience the soundtrack.

The fact that the PC version had different special stages than the Saturn version is news to me.

I just found that out today myself, so you're not alone XD! PC games are tricky to set up sometimes, so I understand why the music didn't work for you sadly :(. But you can listen to it now if you want!

RK128

I never had a chance to play the Saturn version. I almost bought it at a blockbuster when they were clearing out their Saturn games (Which is pretty much how I got all of my Saturn games) and I chose not to get it because I owned the Genesis version and didn't particularly like it at the time.

I've come to respect the game. It's a fine enough game that bears the burden of being a not-so-fast Sonic game and coming out in 1996 as competition to Mario 64 and Crash Bandicoot 1. Under another title I don't think it would have received the same level of hatred.

Funnily enough, it's the 3rd Isometric Sonic game. SegaSonic Arcade and Sonic Labyrinth both came before it. Isometric wasn't Sonic's style...Even SegaSonic Arcade, which arguably is the best of the three titles, only really works because of its trackball style gameplay.

I wanted to play SegaSonic at some point but I don't know how :l....... But you are right, its interesting that Sega toyed with this idea for three games.

The aesthetic in this game is amazing, both versions. The Genesis version feels like a pretty natural (if lighter in tone - definitely feels like more of a kids' game if that makes sense) step forward from Sonic 3 while the Saturn version has amazing atmosphere.

The actual game... Eh. Could take it or leave it. I don't hate it like a lot of people seem to.

I wanted to play SegaSonic at some point but I don't know how :l....... But you are right, its interesting that Sega toyed with this idea for three games.

It's one of those games that you're only option is emulation. It never saw a release outside of Japan and even by Japanese arcade standards it's pretty rare. I use to marvel at pictures of it in the Sonic Jam interactive museum for hours to the point that I would dream that I would come across an arcade with it in it. It's a fun enough game with some great animations in it. I really like the cartoony style the game takes, especially for a Sonic title in 93.

I wish Sega would include it on one of their collections, but it's pretty unlikely

One of the coolest things for me was getting to Panic Puppet zone for the first time and hearing the music from the intro of the game again. Really brought things full circle and drove home how far you'd gotten.

I'm not sure if the music is identical or not...Panic Puppet feels more energetic to me, though maybe that's just because you get to hear the full theme.

RK128

Thanks so much for these threads. Keep up the good work!

No problem buddy :). More are coming, as Sonic has ALOT of games.....and I have at least six or so more left to cover for the classic era alone XD!

Classic Era:
-Spinball
-Sonic 1 & 2 Master System
-Sonic Chaos
-Sonic Triple Trouble
-Tails Adventure
-Sonic the Fighters
-Sonic Drift 1 & 2
-Sonic Jam

Adventure, Shadow, the Advance series, the Rush series, Secret Rings and Rivals series are the only Dreamcast/Early Modern games to cover.....then I got a few big ones.
-Sonic Chronicles
-Sonic Colors DS
-Sonic Lost World
-Sonic Boom U
-Sonic Boom 3DS
-Sonic All Stars Racing Series
-Sega Superstars Tennis
-Sonic Generations

Can't play Boom and Lost World due to not owning a Wii U.....but going to cover them still, as they are important games in the series. I can play the 3DS versions at least, so you will still get a lot of detail :D.

jax

Banned
latest

You know what's weird is I have this but it was only recognized on my old 3DS, which I no longer have. I don't think it's compatible with N3DS for some reason.

Maybe I'll just have to go grab a Saturn and give it a spin.

Zafir

I just found that out today myself, so you're not alone XD! PC games are tricky to set up sometimes, so I understand why the music didn't work for you sadly :(. But you can listen to it now if you want!

I imagine it's like the Sonic R PC version which has some stupid copy right protection.

I owned some Xplosiv(something like that, was a big pack of SEGA games) release of it, and I haven't been able to play it properly in years.

I had to grab a crack for it to work, but then a crack causes the sound not to work. Which is disappointing to say the least considering the music is probably the better part of the game, lol.

RK128

I want to add to the praise of these threads, it got me to reinstall Generations and Sonic CD.

I'm happy my threads are making people give the Sonic series a replay, as second chance or even just trying the series out for the first time.

I wanted to celebrate the series 25th anniversary and give back to a series I really love :).

Edit: Made a poll for the next game in the line up after Spinball, so visit my Twitter and vote!

https://twitter.com/RK1283/status/700522037652008960

The choices are Sonic the Fighters, Sonic 1 & 2 Master System/Game Gear, Sonic Triple Trouble and Sonic Drift 1 & 2 :).

Synth

It's one of those games that you're only option is emulation. It never saw a release outside of Japan and even by Japanese arcade standards it's pretty rare. I use to marvel at pictures of it in the Sonic Jam interactive museum for hours to the point that I would dream that I would come across an arcade with it in it. It's a fun enough game with some great animations in it. I really like the cartoony style the game takes, especially for a Sonic title in 93.

I wish Sega would include it on one of their collections, but it's pretty unlikely

Did it actually not receive an official release outside of Japan?

I first came across it at the basement level arcade of Hamleys back in the day (London, UK). I'm pretty confident that I encountered it at least once more within London's Trocadero at some point too (either in Funland or SegaWorld).

EDIT: A quick Google search tells me that the basement level arcade of Hamleys was actually named Metropolis, and later was renamed SegaWorld also... so I guess it was just a case of the arcade being available at SegaWorld locations, maybe.

Do you plan on covering Sonic Blast anytime soon, RK128?

icon_xl.jpg

The graphics of it look absolutely dreadful, like a bad attempt on capitalizing on Donkey Kong Country's Silicon Graphics rendering or something.

RK128

Do you plan on covering Sonic Blast anytime soon, RK128?

icon_xl.jpg

The graphics of it look absolutely dreadful, like a bad attempt on capitalizing on Donkey Kong Country's Silicon Graphics rendering or something.

......Will give it a look if enough of you guys want too, but I personally don't want to play that :(.

It looks gross and most Sonic games look great, even if they are bad.

Maybe playing the Master System version would be the best move; fuggly visuals aside, it being more zoomed out could do wonders in making it a more playable game.

Sonic 3D Blast was OK, but not one of the better games in Sonic's 16bit library. IMO, the Genesis game has a much better soundtrack than the Saturn game.

RK128

Sonic 3D Blast was OK, but not one of the better games in Sonic's 16bit library. IMO, the Genesis game has a much better soundtrack than the Saturn game.

The Genesis screams 'Sonic' while the Saturn version is more atmospheric. It really depends on what you want out of a Sonic game but I enjoy both soundtracks :).

I do love the Genesis one though a lot! Diamond Dust and Rusty Ruins sounds awesome in that version of the game.

KevinCow

Banned
I remember wanting to play this so bad when I saw the commercials as a kid.

Then when I finally got around to playing it years later, I was like, "...That's it?" and got bored with it after just a couple of stages.

RK128

I remember wanting to play this so bad when I saw the commercials as a kid.

Then when I finally got around to playing it years later, I was like, "...That's it?" and got bored with it after just a couple of stages.

At least you gave it a shot buddy :). Sorry if you didn't enjoy it when younger but maybe revisiting it now might make you like it more or something.

Such a shame the Saturn version never got put into Gems Collection. Especially with the Special Stages intact. But Sonic CD and Sonic R were the PC versions so if they had, they would've likely have used the inferior PC version. :(

I liked the Genesis original in Mega Collection, but the Saturn version looks a lot better! :D

I hated this game so much.

It was one of those games that looked great on the box but when you played it you realized you had purchased a poor mans puzzle platformer.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Eh, didn't have problems completing it with the Genesis/Saturn-like 6-button pad back in the day.

I agree it's mediocre, but it's probably the last "good" Sonic game. Everything after was pretty much a downhill jam.

RK128

To my mind, the only good thing that came out of Sonic 3D blast was that it had the music that let
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFELeJaZlPQ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLPOml2lyfo
Exist.

OP is a nice post, but...come on man, the game was NOT good. also TT's toy story game is abyssmal.

I'm a lot kinder toward the series, so I understand if I'm wrong in this case. Will admit that 3D Blast has issues but I said 'good' not 'great' or 'horrid'.

3D Blast and Sonic R sit firmly between mediocre and good; average. They aren't bad, but they aren't great. But the soundtracks, ideas they try to pull off, presentation and 'charm' both games have push them above mediocre.

But I understand if you think the game is not good. And even if they didn't make the first Toy Story game good, they really made a great sequel with Toy Story 2.

Hands down one of my favorite PS1/N64 era platformers :D! I could make a thread covering that latter if you guys want me to go in-depth why I like the game a lot :).

Eh, didn't have problems completing it with the Genesis/Saturn-like 6-button pad back in the day.

I agree it's mediocre, but it's probably the last "good" Sonic game. Everything after was pretty much a downhill jam.

Nah, we still got a few hidden gems I didn't cover yet :). Sonic the Fighters was fun, the Master System versions of Sonic 1 & 2 are tough but enjoyable platformers, Sonic Jam is a great combination and Spinball is a really fun pinball game despite it being really damn hard latter on.

When I get to my Sonic Adventure thread, I have strong thoughts on that game. Will say that its the closest Sonic Team got to perfectly nailing the gameplay from the 2D games into 3D.

N E R O

One of my favorite sonic games. I have played it a ton. The gameplay was different than a regular sonic game.
I remember it getting really hard at the end stages
Would love to play it again in the current gen consoles

But I understand if you think the game is not good. And even if they didn't make the first Toy Story game good, they really made a great sequel with Toy Story 2.

I wouldn't say that Toy Story was a terrible game on the 16bit platforms, it was mostly just an average one.

The game itself was a real technical showcase though, especially on the Genesis where they wrote some pretty complex sound/ mixing drivers, managed to get up to 170 colours in the still cut scenes, had some rather smooth Wolfenstein 3D like FPS segments and even managed to get some textured mapped polygons into the Genesis game, which is something that didn't make it into the SNES version. It did showcase Travelers Tales abilities to milk every single trick they could out of 16bit hardware.

RK128

I wouldn't say that Toy Story was a terrible game on the 16bit platforms, it was mostly just an average one.

The game itself was a real technical showcase though, especially on the Genesis where they wrote some pretty complex sound/ mixing drivers, managed to get up to 170 colours in the still cut scenes, some rather smooth Wolfenstein 3D like FPS segments and even managed to get some textured mapped polygons into the Genesis game, which is something that didn't make it into the SNES version. It did showcase Travelers Tales abilities to milk every single trick they could out of 16bit hardware.

That doesn't surprise me, as they push the hardware of every game they make stuff on :).

A poster commented on 3D Blast, with the Genesis having an FMV, and that had to be impressive considering how small the cartage might of been.

Even some of the worse games they put out were impressive; the PS1 game Rascal was horrid but it was 60FPS and had some impressive visuals for a PS1 game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3G2rTbTleo

G0523

I remember when this game came out that I didn't like it all that much. I got to I think the 4th level in the game and I just lost interest. I've ever only played the Genesis version so there might be something to that.

But I remember at the time that Traveller's Tales developed it so I knew that it wasn't really a main Sonic game. I was still surprised to see them pop-up here and there, with their other high profile game being Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex. But that wasn't well received either. So I wondered how long this company could actually last. And then they developed the Lego Star Wars games and it seems like the rest is history. Good to know that they finally make game that people find fun.

I've never played the Saturn version although I've heard great things about the special stages. Only now with your links did I actually see what they look like and they look great! I would like to try out the Saturn version of this game now! Too bad Sega just re-releases the Genesis version over and over again.

Shaneus

Was that the one with a trackball? Because I 100% played one here in Melbourne, Australia. It was a LONG time ago (and maybe it was in Sydney, shit...) but I definitely played it. From what I remember the start of the first level you had to spin up to break out of a jail cell?

The Sega Saturn version of Green Grove (I think it's Act 1) is one of the most chill songs I've heard from a Sonic stage. It doesn't fit the stage but man is it a great tune.

RK128

I remember when this game came out that I didn't like it all that much. I got to I think the 4th level in the game and I just lost interest. I've ever only played the Genesis version so there might be something to that.

But I remember at the time that Traveller's Tales developed it so I knew that it wasn't really a main Sonic game. I was still surprised to see them pop-up here and there, with their other high profile game being Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex. But that wasn't well received either. So I wondered how long this company could actually last. And then they developed the Lego Star Wars games and it seems like the rest is history. Good to know that they finally make game that people find fun.

I've never played the Saturn version although I've heard great things about the special stages. Only now with your links did I actually see what they look like and they look great! I would like to try out the Saturn version of this game now! Too bad Sega just re-releases the Genesis version over and over again.

Saturn games are just hard to emulate I suppose, so they never bother with remasters of that.....though Paznern Dragoon Saga got ported to the PS2 and Xbox, so who knows.

Travelers Tales made a lot of great games; Toy Story 2 is regarded as one of the better movie-games of that era, Crash Twinsanity incomplete and all is regarded by many as one of the better post Naughty-Dog Crash games and Sonic R is beloved for its soundtrack. People liked them before the Lego games :).

Top Bottom