• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 3D Blast – An Flicky Island Adventure!

RK128

Hello everyone!

Quick update for those following the poll I made on Twitter about the next game being covered after Spinball (which will have a thread made Late Sunday) and the winner was Sonic the Fighters!

latest

Spinball is a game that will be interesting to talk about, so looking forward to covering that latter today :).

Coming up right after the Spinball thread is made but the others will come soon after in this order:
-Tuesday: Sonic 1&2 Master System/Mega Drive
-Thursday: Sonic Drift 1 & 2
-Friday: Sonic Triple Trouble

After that, only have a few Classic games to cover before capping this era off with a Jam of a collection ;). Hope you all look forward to them :D.

I love Sonic 3D Blast! It was the game that got me into Sonic and was one of my first video games in general. Every time I play it, it brings me back to being four again. With the PC and PlayStation, that was such a magical time for gaming for me and Sonic 3D Blast is one of the games I can contribute to making that time in my life awesome!

RK128

I love Sonic 3D Blast! It was the game that got me into Sonic and was one of my first video games in general. Every time I play it, it brings me back to being four again. With the PC and PlayStation, that was such a magical time for gaming for me and Sonic 3D Blast is one of the games I can contribute to making that time in my life awesome!

Glad you had a great time with the game :D!

The mid/late 90's was a time period I wish I could re-visit; didn't love games like I do now and missed out on a lot of great stuff (been catching up thanks to the Nintendo VC, PS1/PSP support on Vita and remasters though!) but still, a time period I wish I could go back to sometimes for gaming.

Nudull

Banned
I remember downloading the PC demo of this, way back when. This was fresh off my introduction to Sonic (through the PC Sonic & Knuckles Collection), and playing through the demo and trying to find every secret had me extremely curious about seeing the rest of the game.

By the time I actually did, I felt...underwhelmed. Couldn't bring myself to finish this game, even today.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I voted Triple Trouble, which is losing.

Trying to save you the burden of playing Sonic 1 and 2 MS/GG. Those games are baaaaddddd and unnecessarily difficult.

I don't like Sonic 1 and 2 MS/GG either (for Sonic 2: Do yourself a favour and play the Master System version, the GG version is completely unfair at times with its limited view), and like Triple Trouble surprisingly much. However, Sonic 1 and 2 MS/GG almost seem like gems if you pit them against the final Sonic platformer on GG: Sonic Blast. This is just barely playable, slow as fuck and you see almost nothing in the game. Really a travesty.

Speaking of travesties: Sonic 3D Blast is not a technical mess as Sonic Blast is. In fact, it looks great on Mega Drive (less so on Saturn) and has great music. However, the gameplay is oh so bad. The controls suck, the general concept of rescuing Flickies is just dumb, the level desgin is boring, the game is way too slow to be called Sonic and due to the perspective, some jumps are almost impossible to judge. Glad you could get some enjoyment out of it, but I really prefer the supreme shit mainline- or semi-mainline games Sonic 06, Shadow, Sonic Boom U and Sonic & the Black Knight over what Traveller's Tales has shat out here.

Top Bottom