• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - Wii U Trailer

Tizoc

Why are they waiting so long to confirm the other characters? The game's practically a week away at this point. Are they not going to announce them until the game's out?

I think Fighting game announcements kinda spoiled us =P
As exicted I am about the game, a part of me likes that not all characters were revealed, reminds me of the days before the internets when u just got the game and got surprised by what characters you can play/unlock in the game.

Is it possible to video chat with friends while playing Wii U games or no?

Yes, but depends upon whether programmers care to implement it, and I'm afraid Sonic team racer's team admittedly ditched that feature because of the lack of time, focusing their effforrts instead on a solid frame-rate.

qq more

Yes, but depends upon whether programmers care to implement it, and I'm afraid Sonic team racer's team admittedly ditched that feature because of the lack of time, focusing their effforrts instead on a solid frame-rate.

Oh... disappointing. Are the S&ASR games really good by the way? I'm thinking of getting the the Wii U game.

Het_Nkik

What's the control scheme like for the people not using the gamepad? Nunchuck required? WM+?

Here you go, straight from a Sumo employee:

Pretty much everything. GamePad, Wii Remote, Wii Remote + Nunchuck, Wii Remote + (Wii) Classic Controller and Wii Remote + Classic Controller Pro (Wii U flavour). Doesn't need to be a Wii Remote with Motion Plus either, but it will use it if present.

No GameCube pad support - but really, I think we support enough controllers already!

---
S0L
---

@MUWANdo

Banned
Was that a Super Monkey Ball multiplayer mode shown in the video?

Yeah, there are two Wii U-exclusive multiplayer modes--the Monkey Ball mode, where the player with the gamepad tries to run people down in a monkey ball, and a Shinobi mode where the gamepad player has to "tag" people as Joe Musashi.

I really do like the vehicle transformation concept. That's always been appealing to me like in games such as Excitebots. Does Sonic Racing feature a weight class ? Is the AI cheap like Mario Kart's 150cc ?

I can't quite remember how it works but there is some degree of customisation in there somewhere.

What's the control scheme like for the people not using the gamepad? Nunchuck required? WM+?

Pretty much anything goes--Wiimote/Nunchuk, Classic/Pro Controller, sideways Wiimote. It'll use MotionPlus if you've got it but it's not mandatory.

Why are they waiting so long to confirm the other characters? The game's practically a week away at this point. Are they not going to announce them until the game's out?

They said they plan on keeping at least one character under wraps, yeah.

Oh... disappointing. Are the S&ASR games really good by the way? I'm thinking of getting the the Wii U game.

There's only been one game before this one. It wasn't brilliant but given the budget they had to play with it was definitely pretty good. The most common complaints centered around the repetition of stage tropes and the gimped online play, but both of those issues have been addressed with the new game, plus a whole lot more besides.

EDIT: also, the PC port of the first game sucked and had no online play at all, but they've assured us that the PC port will be fully-featured this time around.

Yeah, there are two Wii U-exclusive multiplayer modes--the Monkey Ball mode, where the player with the gamepad tries to run people down in a monkey ball, and a Shinobi mode where the gamepad player has to "tag" people as Joe Musashi.
Are those modes available online?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Wow, that trailer almost sold me on the game. I fear I am gonna go crazy with launch purchases, but 5-player local racing might be too good to pass up...

Yup, I'm sold. Mario Kart substitute with awesome looking gameplay and 5 player local multiplayer? Swiping to play off the gamepad is neat, and I like the little weapon kill cam on the gamepad too..

shocked at how good a port this is!

The game features 29 different playable characters, including console-exclusive racers.[17] The following characters are currently confirmed to be playable:
Sonic the Hedgehog[10] Sonic the Hedgehog
Miles "Tails" Prower[18] Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Knuckles the Echidna[18] Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Amy Rose[18] Sonic the Hedgehog CD
Doctor Eggman[10] Sonic the Hedgehog
Shadow the Hedgehog[19] Sonic Adventure 2
AiAi[10] Super Monkey Ball
MeeMee[20] Super Monkey Ball
Amigo[12] Samba de Amigo
Beat[13] Jet Set Radio
Gum[21] Jet Set Radio
B.D. Joe[13] Crazy Taxi
Gilius Thunderhead[13] Golden Axe
Vyse[13] Skies of Arcadia
Joe Musashi[22] Shinobi
Ulala[23] Space Channel 5
Nightsa[24] Nights into Dreams...
Realaa[24] Nights into Dreams...
Danica Patrick Stewart-Haas Racing
Ralph Wreck-It Ralph
Metal Sonic Sonic the Hedgehog CD
Mii Wii Exclusive

Ralph look pretty cool. Haven't seen the movie yet, also, 7 character left.

Are you serious with that roster? And there is gonna be 7 more?! Fuck you Sega. Pre-ordered.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Are you serious with that roster? And there is gonna be 7 more?! Fuck you Sega. Pre-ordered.

9 more, actually, the Avatar and the Mii don't count towards the 29 established character roster.

As I said in a previous thread, I loved the last game. I played this one at PAX, and it literally has improved over the original in almost every conceivable way from the several rounds I played, very much looking forward to this. Very promising to be one of the best Kart racers in years. Was especially impressed how solid driving felt (sort of felt a bit floaty in the last game), and how much attention to detail was put in the boat sections (how the waves and current make a difference, you can ride on other players water current, leap off of waves, etc). Going to be interesting to see the full package.

Hero

Wow, that seems really awesome actually. I will have to keep an eye out for reviews and the general consensus of this since we probably won't get MK until next holiday season on Wii U.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
looks smooth, honestly. Too bad Sonic and his friends hold as much appeal as a multifold room divider to me

Roo

It looks really cool
I mean, 5 players mode? this shit is going to be crazy fun
Can't wait to play it

That'll be the one that's 60fps.

That'd be the PC version. I don't see myself buying 3 additional X360 gamepads and cramming everybody in my man cave to play that when I've already got a bunch of Wii remotes laying around and this plugged into my living room setup. So for me this=definitive version. Plus does the PC version even support split screen? Wouldn't be surprised at all if the answer was no.

That'd be the PC version. I don't see myself buying 3 additional X360 gamepads and cramming everybody in my man cave to play that when I've already got a bunch of Wii remotes laying around and this plugged into my living room setup. So for me this=definitive version. Plus does the PC version even support split screen? Wouldn't be surprised at all if the answer was no.

The original did, but didn't have online..But you're right, it most certainly won't have 5 player split-screen.

@MUWANdo

Banned
What's the single player mode like? Like the last one, or did they attempt to add an adventure/story mode to it?

There's a proper story mode with missions and stuff. I did watch some off-screen footage that outlined how it was gonna work but I'm kinda fuzzy ATM--getting gold/silver/bronze in a challenge would net you stickers that you could then use to customise your cart, or your profile card, or something?

Top Bottom