• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and the Black Knight Preview , new screens

You know, looking back, the graphics aren't that much worse than Sonic 06's back when we saw it at TGS '05:

23kdgk6.jpg

sonic-the-hedgehog-next-gen-20050917021912873.jpg

Hell, I'm sure the Wii can replicate Sonic 06's graphics (at least at that stage of development) at least at 30 frames.

Remember how Sega was proud to show that the game ('06) can display grass the way it did? Looks like the little white console can do that as well.

Really, how was that such a big deal again?

Oh and the mushrooms on that tree bit...

Though we did (most of us at least?) thought '06's visuals were really something back then, maybe not as much now?

Hero of Legend said:
Yeah, I actually thought of that right away when it was first revealed that the sword talked as well! :lol Loved Roger Rabbit! :D

I like the talking sword from the Earthworm Jim cartoon.

If the sword in the game was anything like that, I'd enjoy it.

ShockingAlberto said:
Have they confirmed tilt controls are gone

because then I can go ahead and ignore this game for taking away the one way I enjoyed Sonic on the Wii
I dont believe it has been confirmed, but from the looks of it, its all but confirmed unfortunately. I really hope Im dead wrong, as tilt control felt so good in rings.

Anyone else find it odd that SEGA decides to send out a boatload of screens for this game just days after Unleashed was released?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Why a sword ? Sonic only needs shooes and nothing more.
Sonic = Run + jump thats it, its a simple formula.
Its like they are doing it on purpouse.... i dont get it ;_; .... leave Sonic alone SEGA !

HUELEN10

ivysaur12 said:
Evil Knuckles, hmm?

The graphics really do put a lot of other Wii developers to shame.
So true. Why do the rest of the devs have to be such lazy fucks?
Fersis said:
Why a sword ? Sonic only needs shooes and nothing more.
Sonic = Run + jump thats it, its a simple formula.
Its like they are doing it on purpouse.... i dont get it ;_; .... leave Sonic alone SEGA !
Leave the fucking Knight of the Wind alone!
:lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
What is Sonic doing in Twilight Princess?

ivysaur12 said:
The graphics really do put a lot of other Wii developers to shame.
They've unlocked the Blast Processing feature in the second
half
Gamecube, apparently.

Jaded Alyx said:
Anyone else find it odd that SEGA decides to send out a boatload of screens for this game just days after Unleashed was released?
Smart marketing from SEGA.

HUELEN10

SonicMegaDrive said:
Knuckles is a bad guy again?

THAT in itself is awesome.
Better than being a gullible fuck like in Sonic 3, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Adventure.....

Need I go on?

So far I think I prefer sonic with a blade then turning into a werehog.

*edit* also going by how "knuckles" looks there i'm going to say it's some tribal echidna and it's not really the knuckles we know.

HUELEN10

Tenbatsu said:
It funny that the 3D model of Sonic still cant match the one in Smash Bros, SEGA:lol
That one sucked. Sonic with the mouth at the CENTER OF HIS FACE, and it gets PRAISED?!?!?!?!?!

That is BS!

Unleashed 360 Model=best, for the mouth on the side alone.

Diablohead said:
So far I think I prefer sonic with a blade then turning into a werehog.

*edit* also going by how "knuckles" looks there i'm going to say it's some tribal echidna and it's not really the knuckles we know.
Shit yeah...the werehog makes unleashed unplayable.

Ikael

I must admit that the artstyle and graphics of the last Sonic games were awesome, and their settings were bound to be interesting levels, which is why then I get sad as I see how then they are wasted with bad / mediocre mechanics and level designs. I hope that this case is different, but I have been burned too many times already.

Jaded Alyx said:
0000180069.jpg

We really need to see these areas in video form.
Yes, we do.

And if Sonic can run freely in this area . . . yes, I will skip Unleashed for this (as I had planed to do once Wolf Hog came out).

I really like what Sega seems to be doing. Seems like they are taking chances to see what works with their Wii Sonic games. I just read on Go-Nintendo about why Unleashed doesn't have just "Sonic running" and I think that if they tried to change their way of thinking than they could get around that. >.>

So after this, what's next for Sonic?

Sonic and the World Tree (The Eddas)
Sonic and the Sea (The Odyssey)
Sonic and the Avatara (The Mahabharata)
Sonic and the Search for Immortality (The Epic of Gilgamesh)
Sonic and the Chosen People (The Bible)
Sonic and the Page-Long Sentences (the works of William Faulkner)

I really hope I'm not alone in thinking this, but Black Knight really is more like Adventure 1 than Unleashed is by far.

Sonic fights Knuckles again. There are lava-themed stages ala Red Mountain. It's free-roaming. The grass areas highly resemble the Angel Island field at Red Mountain's entrance. Sonic and Knuckles' models look more like Adventure 1 and not that Pixar look in Unleashed.

Oh, and Jun Senoue is back.

this is no doubt meant to appeal to the Adventure series fans.

Unleashed felt more like Rush than anything, even when watching the 360 videos. The extra cartoony look doesn't bode well to me.

And holy fuck is that shot of the sunset beautiful!

Hero of Legend said:
I really hope I'm not alone in thinking this, but Black Knight really is more like Adventure 1 than Unleashed is by far.

Sonic fights Knuckles again. There are lava-themed stages ala Red Mountain. It's free-roaming. The grass areas highly resemble the Angel Island field at Red Mountain's entrance. Sonic and Knuckles' models look more like Adventure 1 and not that Pixar look in Unleashed.

Oh, and Jun Senoue is back.

this is no doubt meant to appeal to the Adventure series fans.

Unleashed felt more like Rush than anything, even when watching the 360 videos. The extra cartoony look doesn't bode well to me.

And holy fuck is that shot of the sunset beautiful!
Where did this piece come from? In some of the screens it looks like it could be free roaming, but i thought he would be running in a circle like he did in secret rings boss fights.

abstract alien said:
Where did this piece come from? In some of the screens it looks like it could be free roaming, but i thought he would be running in a circle like he did in secret rings boss fights.

I don't the words "free-roaming" were ever used, the whole thing about Sonic confirmed to be controlled with the control stick seems to point in that direction.

And that it was said the the stages feel like hub worlds and action stages in one.

Redd

This game looks nice on the Wii but Sonic has let me down time and time again. I'll wait for reviews when Black Knight comes out before buying.

Top Bottom