• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii) revealed in new Nintendo Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadist

What's with Nintendo Power these days? Castlevania Judgement and now this... whut?

And just when I thought I saw everything this damn generation. And still they surprise me.

Bizzyb

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
We all know how this is going to turn out.

Magazine scans will leak. People will say the scans look good graphically, Nintendo Power will be positive in their preview, proclaim "classic gameplay" and "Sonic returns to his roots", while offering "some of the best graphics and controls on Wii".

I think that's pretty impossible considering he's holding a damn sword...

Bizzyb said:
I think that's pretty impossible considering he's holding a damn sword...

Every Sonic game since the dawn of time has been proclaimed as a return to his roots. Sonic Unleashed as a fucking Evil Hedgedog Sonic in it and is still a return to his roots.

lopaz

Banned
omg rite said:
You two are the prime examples of what I'm talking about.

How can you disagree with Sonic Rush being a good game? It was fantastic. The best Sonic game since 3.

Maybe, if you are particularly fond of holding right.

Teknoman

TheGreatDave said:
Every Sonic game since the dawn of time has been proclaimed as a return to his roots. Sonic Unleashed as a fucking Evil Hedgedog Sonic in it and is still a return to his roots.

Well yeah, but the main Sonic parts seem to be more platformy than just holding right 24/7. China reminds me of Carnival Night zone if that makes any since.

Terrell

..... I can only imagine that these abominations are Sega's way at retaliating against Yuji Naka for setting up Prope not making games for them.

"Oh, so you want to make your own studio and do NOTHING, huh? Well... how about we give your beloved creation Sonic a SWORD??!?"

"OH GOD NO, I'll go back to work, I swear, ANYTHING BUT THAT!!!"

Tyrone Slothrop said:
it kind of hints at it. it shows sora riding yoshi but doesnt say anything else
:lol

DryEyeRelief said:
Supposedly in PR and advertising land, anything under a Gamerankings score of 70% is a marketing failure.
Metacritic at least calls it average, which it pretty much was.

Terrell said:
..... I can only imagine that these abominations are Sega's way at retaliating against Yuji Naka for setting up Prope not making games for them.

"Oh, so you want to make your own studio and do NOTHING, huh? Well... how about we give your beloved creation Sonic a SWORD??!?"

Serious question: Was Naka involved with Shadows the Hedgehog, Sonic Heroes, and the other crap? I know he did Adventure 1 and 2.

Sadist

*Takes of glasses, picks up pen*

Dear Sega,

I was just playing some Brawl and Sonic in that game is awesome. So here's a thought: go to Sakurai and ask the bloke if you can borrow the Smash engine and use it as a blueprint for a new Sonic platformer if you want to do something exclusive for Wii. Yes, I do understand that there isn't enough info to pass judgement on this project. But frankly, I don't care. In fact, it will be shitty. Why Sega, WHY!!??

Hugs and kisses,

Sadist

Tyrone Slothrop said:
it kind of hints at it. it shows sora riding yoshi but doesnt say anything else

I'm confused. The issue with Sonic on the cover has Sora riding Yoshi at the end of the issue?

Or is this some sort of perverse joke about all of us hoping for a Mushroom Kingdom Hearts?

comedy bomb said:
I'm confused. The issue with Sonic on the cover has Sora riding Yoshi at the end of the issue?

Or is this some sort of perverse joke about all of us hoping for a Mushroom Kingdom Hearts?

It's whatever you want it to be!

Sadist said:
*Takes of glasses, picks up pen*

Dear Sega,

I was just playing some Brawl and Sonic in that game is awesome. So here's a thought: go to Sakurai and ask the bloke if you can borrow the Smash engine and use it as a blueprint for a new Sonic platformer if you want to do something exclusive for Wii. Yes, I do understand that there isn't enough info to pass judgement on this project. But frankly, I don't care. In fact, it will be shitty. Why Sega, WHY!!??

Hugs and kisses,

Sadist

Sonic's Smash character had a large amount of references to his old game days. The spin dash, jump sound effect, ducking and ledge dancing animation were all references to his 16 bit self. It's kind of amazing that a spin off from another company was more faithful to Sonic than Sega has been in....a long while.

Teknoman

comedy bomb said:

He/she is being funny. C'mon you're comedy bomb, you should know that :lol

[Nintex]

Terrell said:

Yuji Naka was responsible for this mess in the first place. He abandoned Sonic Team after he sent them on a crash course not to mention the real creator of the Sonic character runs Artoon now.

Cow Mengde said:
Just play the Subspace Emissary in Brawl with Sonic if you guys wants Sonic back to his roots.
There seem to be two "back to his roots" factions.

One of them, which is the more vocal of the two, is the group that wants Sonic back to the exploratory side. Unleashed's Rollercoaster levels (ignoring the Werehog) stab at them from the hearts of hell, since they don't believe the point of Sonic is to be fast anymore than the point of Mario is to jump all the time.

The other faction just wants stupid shit like the Werehog and swords to stop happening. By "back to the roots", they don't mind a little roller coaster gameplay, but god stop using the shitty friends, stop putting characters in three-man cells, stop transforming, stop using weapons, stop making out with princesses - the list goes on and on. They just want Sonic levels.

"Bring Sonic back to his roots" can really mean either of these two things and, in the context of a thread where all we know is that he looks straight out of Soul Calibur, I'd assume it's the latter.

Sadist

Pachael said:
So apparently, Sonic's a strong brand
Maybe Sega got a bit to excited after the succes of Mario & Sonic and the Secret Rings?

Everything Sonic sells on Wii. Even Sega Superstars Tennis sold on the damn thing. And in Samba Di Amigo he has a cameo too. :/

Hey, it worked for Harvest Moon.

Yeah, it worked for Harvest Moon! Maybe they should make a Sonic farming game! Sonic Speed Farm for the Wii! Sonic now lives in the country to enjoy a peaceful life. Sonic can run really fast to harvest crops before sun down! Hell, Sonic can run really fast to do all the cores. Tend to your cows, shave sheep, try to score with the local chicks (human of course), and get married. Best Sonic game ever!

Maybe they could also make Sonic all emo and give him bad spikey hair, that might help this new image and the game's sales.

It works for Square-Enix.

RPGCrazied

Thats it? lmao, well its was bound to happen.. all of the big annoucement thingies have sucked.

So what is this? Sonic RPG on wii?

NeonZ

Cow Mengde said:
Just play the Subspace Emissary in Brawl with Sonic if you guys wants Sonic back to his roots.

Completely unrelated to anything, but...

Subspace Emissary was an action game, not a platformer. It does have a few platforming moments, but the whole structure (multiple locations where the screen locks and only starts moving after every enemy is defeated, heavy emphasis on combat, to the point where most enemies usually chase the characters, rather than trying to keep any kind of static position as obstacles) is obviously closer to a 2d action game, a beat them up, even. Touching enemies doesn't even hurt the characters...

Sciz

cw_sasuke said:
Oh, come on already. Do we really have to do the "must be a fake" routine every time a new game is announced?

It isn't fake. There's no one within the Sonic community capable of or willing to do that kind of professional render, and no one outside of it gives enough of a damn to bother because Sega is quite capable of coming up with ludicrous concepts on their own.

After zooming in on the Dead Rising text, we clearly saw what looked like brightness around the lettering. That sometimes is a sign of something possibly being added.
More commonly, it's known as jpeg artifacts.

cw_sasuke said:

tfa said:
We decided to look at it in Photoshop. After zooming in on the Dead Rising text, we clearly saw what looked like brightness around the lettering. That sometimes is a sign of something possibly being added.

And this of course makes more sense than JPEG compression. Its like Holmes himself has returned from his fictional grave to solve the fucking problem for us.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
cw_sasuke said:
It's not fake. They're basing their argument on:
- Dead Rising being previewed too soon after the Japanese reveal (why?)
- Dead Rising being called a series (journalist uses a term improperly, news at 11)
- some glow being around the Dead Rising text for no reason (it's just compression artifacts)
- Sonic picture being cropped badly (ok, but who made the picture itself?)
Four controversial points don't make an acceptable one, sorry.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Page 10 and still no informations ? ain`t used to that kinda case on gaf... kinda weird...

I desperately want Sonic Unleashed, Dark Brotherhood and Black Knight to be dizzyingly awesome so GAF will have to eat epic crow....or at least be 8.0 games so most of GAF will have to give begrudging respect.

.....But it won't happen, will it? Sega doesn't even care anymore. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom