• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom (BRB/Sanzaru, WiiU/3DS) gameplay preview/info, screenshots, and trailer

Shojx

I'm interested in seeing where this game goes.
I like what they're trying to do with it gameplay wise, and it looks like it could be fun, so who knows how this will turn out. If the gameplay isn't a mess, I'd be up for some Sonic co-op / multiplayer action. The character models really do look like they need some work though.

I'm a bit relieved though that this isn't what Sonic Team is working on.
Perhaps their own project is a bit more traditional. I'd be surprised if they actually adopted the character redesigns featured in Sonic Boom. I'm really curious about what they could be developing in parallel to Boom. I wanted something of an open-world (or at least full 3D), speedy platformer, and it seems like Sonic Boom is taking that direction, so what kind of game should I realistically expect from Sonic Team? Time will tell, I suppose.

Is it weird that this is the first Sonic game I'm interested in playing since SA2? I'm serious getting a 3D platformer (like Banjo-Kazooie and DK 64) vibe from this. I can't wait to see more.

I thought it was pretty cool as well. Hopefully they show more and release it soon.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Not to judge this by the fragments of gameplay we've seen, but if I'm right and its moving back towards the style of the Adventure games then...meh, I dunno, that's not the direction I want to see them take.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Gameplay looks.

The character designs. urgghh.

Tails: I digg it
Amy: Meh it's okay
Sonic: urrgghh nooo. What's wrong with his face.
Knukles: ...

Not to judge this by the fragments of gameplay we've seen, but if I'm right and its moving back towards the style of the Adventure games then...meh, I dunno, that's not the direction I want to see them take.

It looks more like Ratchet and Clank that the Adventure games. They said they want to be "open" enough to have multiple routes and explore with co op partners.

Knuckles.
XUIPb.gif

Urko

Neo Member
Game looks pretty damn good to me. Don't really give a shit about the character models if the game is good.

Vysetron

Neo Member
Impressions from this trailer:

-Tails falls down a hole face first, then demonstrates that he does in fact remember how to fly
-BANGARANG
-Warp speed mechanic that makes everybody Sonic
-Damn Knuckles, you built like a Dorito
-Dune Worm
-FUCKING BANGARANG

I dunno about this, you guys.

Rapture

I think the thing with Knuckles is mostly a knee-jerk reaction to such a drastic change. I like the changes to Tails and Amy and im indifferent about Sonic. I have a feeling though if this game turns out to be good the art direction will grow on me. Optimistic for now.

VariantX

The designs don't bother me all that much, cept knuckles really.

I hope that there is a focus on actual platforming doing cool stuff rather than collecting crap if its going to be more open world ish like a mario 64 or banjo.

The pedigree of the people behind this intrigues me. Will def keep an eye out...

Lost World hasn't disappointed me yet (tho I'm only on world 3 or 4..I can't remember), but I have confidence this can be a winner.

Sciz

"The clothing argument was a big one," said Rafei, leaning back in his chair in Big Red Button's conference room. "The most surreal moment in my life occurred when I was conveying with passion through a translator to the `Sonic' team in Japan why Sonic needed to wear pants. Looking back at it, I'm glad they didn't go for it. Sonic wouldn't really be Sonic with pants on."
I really hope we get a postmortem on this game.

RoySFNR

2-4 Player co-op. Aww yeah!

Disappointed they made a reveal trailer for a game called Sonic Boom but went with fucking Skrillex instead of well... Sonic Boom.

Doorman

Knuckles' design only really throws me off because it seems like his proportions are so drastically different from the rest of the cast. If you want to make him look stronger and more burly, fine, but making him super-tall while still giving him the same spindly legs as everyone else with a huge upper-body just screams inconsistency. The rest I'm pretty okay with.

I'm at least slightly curious about the game itself. Sonic Team's approaches to the franchise have been some-hit and lots of miss to me, so I'm at least intrigued enough to keep an eye on this and see how it shakes out as it gets closer to release. I do like what I heard about the theme being "joyous movement," since aside from focusing on the speed aspect I've never felt terribly satisfied by Sonic Team's other attempts at control and platforming in a 3-D space.

Regiruler

"The clothing argument was a big one," said Rafei, leaning back in his chair in Big Red Button's conference room. "The most surreal moment in my life occurred when I was conveying with passion through a translator to the `Sonic' team in Japan why Sonic needed to wear pants. Looking back at it, I'm glad they didn't go for it. Sonic wouldn't really be Sonic with pants on."
I really hope we get a postmortem on this game.
QOAT
Marine?

52f46082427a9.jpg

edit - this is most likely from the show mind you, not the game.
Bleh.

I'm hoping it being tilted and blurry is a major cause of it's awfulness.
If it's a new character I couldn't care less.

The other artwork actually looks really good.

Yeah I just don't know wtf happened. It's so weird to watch how Mario and the gang have become classic, lovable, staples in terms of appearance, while Sonic has gone through so many awkward, ill-executed designs.

Eh. Still the difference is in the quality of the games. Go and look at the box art of Mario 2 and tell me that Mario isn't a bit taller and thinner now. When that happened to Sonic people lost their shit. Noone cares that, say, the shape of Mario's sideburns changed and they color swapped his outfit but oh god green eyes on Sonic.

Eh. Still the difference is in the quality of the games. Go and look at the box art of Mario 2 and tell me that Mario isn't a bit taller and thinner now. When that happened to Sonic people lost their shit. Noone cares that, say, the shape of Mario's sideburns changed and they color swapped his outfit but oh god green eyes on Sonic.
The change over time has been more gradual, whereas there are now two big "shock" reveals in Sonic history that actually shocked people with very different character designs. Not only that, but what goes for the character goes for the game, which is reflect in Adventure and now in Boom.

Pyrrhus

In a way, it's gratifying to see all the posters losing their minds over this redesign. Welcome to 1999, kids. Now you know how it feels.

Honestly, I'm intrigued by this. If they can find a way to make the game fast and yet play better than Sonic Team's usual take, that would be quite the accomplishment.

In a way, it's gratifying to see all the posters losing their minds over this redesign. Welcome to 1999, kids. Now you know how it feels.

Protip: It's the same people. Look two posts above you. People are still mad at them changing the original designs and somehow think that is a reason for the games being bad/Sonic not being good anymore.

Shinta

Banned
I'm liking what they have so far. The biggest surprise is that I'm kind of interested in watching the TV show honestly. I thought they really nailed the Sonic comedy style for dialogue in Sonic Colors, and it looks like they're going to really take it a step further here.

I'm a bit nervous about entirely new devs doing it, but I think I'm going to be giving it a try. Sounds good so far.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

Honestly, I'm intrigued by this. If they can find a way to make the game fast and yet play better than Sonic Team's usual take, that would be quite the accomplishment.

nKCcwDT.jpg

Would it really though? It shouldn't be that hard.

Teknoman

I still wish they could have made this game with Sonic Lost world style models, slapped the name Sonic Adventure 3 on it, and called it a day.

Lets see how the soundtrack comes along.

FLAguy954

the graphics are pretty fuckin slick specially for wii u, i actually like the animation too. nice gifs man

Which is why it's so sad that this is the first Cry3 game on the WiiU. We know the engine runs well on the system but no one uses it.

I'm surprised at the lack of comments in regards to the graphics. Seriously, CryEngine looks fucking phenomenal on the Wii U, wow.

Shinta

Banned
Yeah, the more I think about it and start to wrap my head around what this is going to be, the more excited I am. This is going to be an old school open world 3D game, like Donkey Kong 64 or Banjo Kazooie, but with better combat?

I'm totally down for that.

I'm surprised at the lack of comments in regards to the graphics. Seriously, CryEngine looks fucking phenomenal on the Wii U, wow.

It does look really good. I like the metal level at 0:42 that they show briefly.

GooeyHeat

I'm a bit worried about the co op focus. I was hoping for something more like Sonic Heroes.
Funny, I'm glad to hear about the co-op focus, just so that this game has as little in common with Sonic Heroes as possible.

Screw the "Sonic Cycle", I wanna know if this game is going to break the "outsource-Japanese-franchise-to-Western-developer-and-appeal-to-absolutely-nobody-in-the-process cycle."
Considering that they're starting with a franchise full of problems rather than something that could pretty easily be in a good place, I could see this happening.

Mdk7

the game looks and sounds intriguing, save for the abysmal character design.
What the fuck did they do to the expressions!?! I mean look at the faces, they are all so incredibly dull and lifeless...

Xellos

I'm liking the redesigns, and the preview's comments about 'wide linear design' along with the developer's background have me hoping for a fusion of Jak & Daxter (the first one) and Sonic. It'll be interesting to see how this game comes together.

Top Bottom