• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood in new NP

Gigglepoo

Miniboss1232 said:
Hmm, I figured speed was the prominent aspect of Sonic gameplay... considering his name is Sonic and all.

You're definitely right. The Genesis classics designed their levels around this idea, making sure the platforming was tight while letting players run through levels. It's why they are so good. But now, Sega just shits out generic levels and thinks gamers will have fun running through them. It's a crutch and it's the main reason Sonic games are awful now.

Quazar

Composer: ?
Writer: ?
Director: ?

Amir0x said:
Tsc tsc, a flagrant foul, off topic, non-contributory, thinking this is somehow an insult. Man oh man, I think my win just got bigger and you're on your way to dead end road.

Maybe you should post a link to my drug thread next :D

Uh oh

Gigglepoo said:
You're definitely right. The Genesis classics designed their levels around this idea, making sure the platforming was tight while letting players run through levels. It's why they are so good. But now, Sega just shits out generic levels and thinks gamers will have fun running through them. It's a crutch and it's the main reason Sonic games are awful now.

Okay, I agree with you. I guess I just needed clarification on your statement.

But yeah, the last thing I want to see is a slow moving Sonic game. I realize it's an RPG, but it should be somewhere in there. And provided Bioware doesn't use it as a crutch, as you say, then it could be very interesting. Like I said, I'd be fine if they were all just running as they battled.

Firestorm

This sounds like Bioware is trying to make a jrpg.

But still, if it's as awesome as Mario RPG... hell yes.

My party members will be Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and filler. Uh, maybe Shadow if he pulls an Aeris. Amy annoys me.

Gigglepoo

Miniboss1232 said:
Like I said, I'd be fine if they were all just running as they battled.

Ha! That's fine. :D

Here's my take: Bioware sucks at gameplay. It's not their strength, to say the least. So I'm worried if they try to make speed driven gameplay a major portion of the game.

Gigglepoo said:
Sonic Rush was not a good game. Sonic and the Secret Rings was even worse. I'm not sure how to even react to people who say otherwise. It will make my life easier to think they are just joking.

ur wrong

Amir0x said:
That violates the rules. Taste war was declared, sequence of events etcetera etcetera, no joking allowed.
:lol :lol :lol

Errr....

I love the sound of everything but putting Sonic into it. That will surely doom the game... will it not?

Gigglepoo said:
Sonic Rush was not a good game. Sonic and the Secret Rings was even worse. I'm not sure how to even react to people who say otherwise. It will make my life easier to think they are just joking.
Would you like to say that Air is bad for you.

Cause, you know, that way you can continue on your path of being wrong.

Scribble

So what if it sounds like a fanfic? Or do you mean BAD fanfic? I would think that fanfic writers could do a much better job with the Sonic story than Sonic Team does, as a lot of people have already suggested >_>

Oh, and by the way, I agree about the speed being used as an excuse to have poorly designed platforming levels.

Sonic Rush Adventure was mediocre for that reason. People were singing its praises, but yuck, that game feels like some kind of beta Sonic fan game made using Game Maker.

Gagaman

Can we please have a topic about something Sega related without going through this "Sega are shit nowadays/Sega were always shit" argument again? It's getting very boring and never goes anywhere..

Alpha_eX

Scribble said:
Sonic Rush Adventure was mediocre for that reason. People were singing its praises, but yuck, that game feels like some kind of beta Sonic fan game made using Game Maker.

SRA was awful, I got bored of trying to find the next freaking level. Such a shame, now it's all run run run, got play S3 or S&K, there were really interesting levels where you had to time jumps and dodge things, not just run past everything grinding and getting points.

Interested to see this game.

Mamesj

Banned
Over 20 hours of dialog with your favorite Sonic characters! The ones other than Tails that you've never heard of! Choose whether Sonic goes through a renaissance by getting back to the basics or whether he continues to go through mascot hell, getting used and tossed away like so many Las Vegas prostitutes. Experience the epic final boss: Mario!

jman2050

Alpha_eX said:
there were really interesting levels where you had to time jumps and dodge things, not just run past everything grinding and getting points.

I never understood this complaint. Maybe in Zone 1, sure, but you get KILLED by the time you get to Haunted Ship if you go in with this thinking.

It's not S3K, but it wasn't meant to be, and even if it plays differently that doesn't automatically make it crap.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Gigglepoo said:
Sometimes I think you just have a "fun" receptor broken in your brain.

Evander

"industry expert"
Gigglepoo said:
I hope they don't. Sonic's speed has been a crutch developers have relied on to make simple levels that make Sonic closer to a poorly designed, side-scrolling racing game than a platformer.

There wasn't all that much jumping involved in Mario RPG, except for the fact that everyone you talked to was amazed by the fact that you were famous for being able to jump high. I imagine they could easily do the same here, by having people remark "Oh, you're Sonic? I have heard that you are the fastest thing alive."

Mamesj

Banned
in light of my last post, if this was a weird meta-game about Sonic's current status in the game industry, I'd buy 10 copies on the first day. To me, Sonic is the Dana Plato of the games industry.

Kinda like that one game on the dreamcast about saving the Sega corporation..

Evander said:
There wasn't all that much jumping involved in Mario RPG, except for the fact that everyone you talked to was amazed by the fact that you were famous for being able to jump high. I imagine they could easily do the same here, by having people remark "Oh, you're Sonic? I have heard that you are the fastest thing alive."

Cue theme song.

Amir0x

Banned
Maybe it wasn't clear?

asking for PMs in order to receive English Language scans is a BANNABLE offense. I thought this was common knowledge, but apparently fucking not.

Evander

"industry expert"
Amir0x said:
Maybe it wasn't clear?

asking for PMs in order to receive English Language scans is a BANNABLE offense. I thought this was common knowledge, but apparently fucking not.

I actually didn't know that.

I'm glad I hadn't done it.

I'm sure I can just read a copy in my store, though.

Amir0x

Banned
Evander said:
I actually didn't know that.

I'm glad I hadn't done it yet, because I was probably going to.

i wouldn't have banned you because i know you and I am not a fair mod, I play favorites.

I'm pretty fucking sure I banned JSnake for asking for english language scans in the past though!

Evander

"industry expert"
Amir0x said:
i wouldn't have banned you because i know you and I am not a fair mod, I play favorites.

I'm pretty fucking sure I banned JSnake for asking for english language scans in the past though!

Naw, I wouldn't haven expected a ban from you.

But the other mods don't know me from Adam. Unless they are Tracy Morgan fans, I could have been in trouble.

edit: I fully endorse playing favorites, though. What good is being a mod if you can't enjoy the occassional abuse of power, until the complaints of the masses eventually force you to delete your own account.

Although, I'm sure it's better without that last bit ;)

Quazar

Amir0x said:

:lol :lol

Honest question: Do you mods have set schedule on when who will be on/off?

Penguin

Amir0x said:

Can you actually play favorites? :lol

Anyhow, this is just the testing grounds for the Sonic/Mario RPG....

O Paper Mario and Sonic.... there is an idea....

Evander

"industry expert"
Amir0x said:
good sega games

hehehehe

Sure! I mean no, that's totally against the sacred oath taken by all mods of neoGAF.

What about Chu Chu Rocket?

*obligatory "why isn't that on XBLA yet?"*

Crushed said:
So you're just eating pizza pops.
Ahhhh go choke yourself on Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, Crushed. Just make sure when you choke you don't puke on your Super Mario t-shirt... it has enough stains on it already!

Grecco

Segata Sanshiro said:
hey everyone segata is here to defend sega

oh wait no segata is too busy eating pizza pops and playing good sega games

Pizza Pops? that sounds gross. Popsicles?

Amir0x

Banned
Evander said:
What about Chu Chu Rocket?

*obligatory "why isn't that on XBLA yet?"*

there are a lot of good SEGA games throughout time (XBLA Chu Chu would be rad), they just mysteriously stop being made after Dreamcast died.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Segata Sanshiro said:
Ahhhh go choke yourself on Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, Crushed. Just make sure when you choke you don't puke on your Super Mario t-shirt... it has enough stains on it already!
I don't own either of those things like you don't own any good Seg... ways.

Jacobi

Banned
Amir0x said:
there are a lot of good SEGA games throughout time (XBLA Chu Chu would be rad), they just mysteriously stop being made after Dreamcast died.
Was Yakuza not good? Haven't played them yet...

Gigglepoo

Evander said:
What about Chu Chu Rocket?[/i]

Chu Chu Rocket was not only the first GBA game, it was probably the best. It's funny, I really didn't like the DC original at all. But porting it to a portable system and focusing on puzzles instead of action made all the difference.

Top Bottom