• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

Nert

Iknos said:
This.

Sonic doesnt need to be digging tunnels to be good so who knows if this is just another gimmicky attempt by Sega to make a decent Sonic game.

And the same goofs keep buying these games only encouraging them to do more.

Can't trust those reviews anymore. Can't trust reviews period they just don't know what they are talking about we've seen people rave over Sonic 4 we're going to see the same shit here.

It seems fairly simple to watch gameplay videos for yourself and form your own impression. At least for me, the levels that I've seen in Sonic Colors, in addition to its general presentation and structure, seem clearly improved and better than the previous Sonic games.

loosus

Banned
I still want to know what's fun about loops that you just kinda run through without using any brain-processing power.

And going through a line of those rainbow-colored boosters in midair.

I enjoyed the daytime levels in Unleashed HD, so I'm obviously going to like this game (I'm not a fan of Sonic 4, btw) since it builds upon it and cuts out all the bullshit.

In addition, the production values are pretty damn good. The music in this game is the best I've heard in a Sonic title since the 16-bit games. It seems like a lot of heart and hard work has been put into creating this game -- which is incredibly uncharacteristic of Sonic Team these days.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Iknos said:
This.

Sonic doesnt need to be digging tunnels to be good so who knows if this is just another gimmicky attempt by Sega to make a decent Sonic game.

Can't trust those reviews anymore. Can't trust reviews period they just don't know what they are talking about we've seen people rave over Sonic 4 we're going to see the same shit here.
All I can say is this: I was able to tell from first gameplay videos that Sonic Unleashed (werehog), Sonic and the Secret Rings, and Sonic 4 were clunky, awkward, and not polished, and I was always right. But the control in Unleashed Wii was good, and it looks like they've tightened it up for 2D sections even more. Again, even from non-interactive videos the control of Sonic 4 looked bad and this looks good.

I've never played Sonic Heroes. I've never played Sonic 2006. I've played Secret Rings and thought it had some ideas, but the control was abysmal and it was only good "for a Sonic game" I'm that particular breed of Sonic fan who despises the shitty friends, despises the over the top storylines, and thinks that Adventure and Adventure 2 were ruined by control issues. Again, it comes back to control issues and you can tell from videos of Adventure how the player fights with the finicky twitch reactions. And that's what impressed me about the videos of Colors from the start: the control looked good.
The wisps seem like interesting gameplay mechanics. But, crucially, if you don't want to you don't have to use them. In fact I believe that the first time through a level you can't, its only on repeat playthroughs that the capsules appear.

I could be proven totally wrong. But ever hands on with the game has been positive. Multiple previews before both came out said that it was better then Sonic 4. The gameplay videos look polished. Reviews aren't high-7, low-8, they're high-8 low-9. There's no melodramatic storyline, no free-roaming, no weird physics, no weird control issues or game changing gimmicks. If the game is bad I will be honestly, truly shocked.

If the gameplay videos don't appeal to you then that's fine. You won't enjoy this game. But that doesn't make it a bad game. And if the gameplay videos do look good, or at least not bad, then it flies in the face of everything pointing to the contrary to say that the game is going to suck anyway just because its Sonic.

TheOGB

Banned
Iknos said:
This.

Did you know you can go through levels without using the Wisps?

Zen

Banned
Iknos said:
This.

Keep fighting the good fight, Iknos. :lol

Sciz

loosus said:
I still want to know what's fun about loops that you just kinda run through without using any brain-processing power.

And going through a line of those rainbow-colored boosters in midair.
It's flashy, which feeds some primal instinct that enjoys spectacle. The same sort of thing has been in the series since at least Sonic 2, and arguably even bits of Green Hill and Starlight. The 3D games overuse them somewhat, admittedly.

Iknos said:
But Sonic is digging tunnels and it is good.

Damn near everyone who's ever played one of the classic games wants another one, sure, but that shouldn't serve as a moratorium on Sega's development of other fun gameplay mechanics.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Fuu said:
Why even bother with the game then? I'll never understand the mindset of people who think all Sonic games in latest years are absolute shit + think Sega can't be trusted on releasing a good one but still insist on paying attention/trying out every single one that's released. Let it go!
That's how lifelong fan-dom works, man. A person's level investment in a particular subject is gonna end up being kind of irrational.

Even if your favorite team/franchise is stuck in a decades-long slump, you continue to expect the worst, while simultaneously hoping for the best. No matter what.

WillyFive

Sega1991 said:
Which version? The 360/PS3 version weren't really that linear, all told. There were a handful of detours you could take.

CurseoftheGods said:
The HD versions weren't.

Well that's the one I was talking about. Even with the detours, I was still running along a straight narrow line, much more than in Secret Rings.

I haven't played the PS2/Wii versions, so I can't talk about that one.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
This is going to mine.
Wii of course.
Then, if the DS version is truly more like Rush than Rush Adventure, make that both.

Willy105 said:
Well that's the one I was talking about. Even with the detours, I was still running along a straight narrow line, much more than in Secret Rings.

I haven't played the PS2/Wii versions, so I can't talk about that one.

It dependeds on the level, really. There were some pretty dramatic detours in levels like Windmill Isle and Dragon Road. Some nice big open areas too, especially in Dragon Road. It's actually kind of fun to force yourself to slow down and check out all of the detail they put in to some of these Sonic Unleashed HD's levels that you typically are moving too fast to see.

WillyFive

Sega1991 said:
It dependeds on the level, really. There were some pretty dramatic detours in levels like Windmill Isle and Dragon Road. Some nice big open areas too, especially in Dragon Road. It's actually kind of fun to force yourself to slow down and check out all of the detail they put in to some of these Sonic Unleashed HD's levels that you typically are moving too fast to see.

Oh yeah, totally. There's a ton of detail in places, I remember when I first stopped and saw a completely decorated restaurant with tables and chairs right in the middle of Greece's level. Also, New York had plenty of cool sights when you stopped at some places.

But I wish they would have made it less narrow and have more space to explore. The landmarks are pit stops that you can skip, not places that you explore and have fun with. Oh well.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Willy105 said:
But I wish they would have made it less narrow and have more space to explore. The landmarks are pit stops that you can skip, not places that you explore and have fun with. Oh well.
I'm confused about what you mean exactly, do you want them to go for a more "adventure stage" route with a lot of different paths and open areas to explore? I'm glad they're moving away from that.

Fuu said:
I'm confused about what you mean exactly, do you want them to go for a more "adventure stage" route with a lot of different paths and open areas to explore? I'm glad they're moving away from that.

I think he means like Hydrocity in Sonic 3 where there were lots of distinct routes you could take to complete the level.

I've never been a big fan so to speak of the platforming in sonic. It's always provided a nice distraction from the speed(or a good obstacle for it, depending on how you played), but the mechanics of the game have never really been good enough for me to say I want more of it. The planet wisp area looks pretty nice since it provides a different type of gameplay area outside of the "speed" zones, but it doesn't exactly scream platforming goodness to me. It was always just ok as far as mechanics went.

Then again, maybe Nintendo just spoiled the shit out of me when it came to that sort of thing.

WillyFive

wind_steaker said:
I think he means like Hydrocity in Sonic 3 where there were lots of distinct routes you could take to complete the level.

Fuu said:

No, not like an adventure stage, and not like Hydrocity.

What I had in mind was a more open design in the level. Not different routes, but a wider area to run in. Not as narrow like a race track, but wider like a valley. Make any sense?

In Unleashed, there were miles before me, but only a couple of feet to my sides. A few more feet would be nice, having more to explore by simply moving right or left than just getting to a new route.

The Technomancer

Willy105 said:

What I had in mind was a more open design in the level. Not different routes, but a wider area to run in. Not as narrow like a race track, but wider like a valley. Make any sense?

In Unleashed, there were miles before me, but only a couple of feet to my sides. A few more feet would be nice, having more to explore by simply moving right or left than just getting to a new route.
Yeah, I'd definitely like to see them try something like that at some point. Based on Unleashed and it looks like now Colors we've moved away from the abysmal control issues of the Adventure games, so Sega should start experimenting with level design and gameflow. More wide-open Sonic levels would be awesome.

Lijik

Willy105 said:

Something more akin to this?

Lijik said:

Too bad that level exposes the flaws in Sonic's controls in Unleashed regarding those types of environments. Sonic needs a speed cap or something because you get moving way too quickly for that kind of space and it becomes difficult to go where you want.

Unless you're super super super gentle with the analog stick (and even then...).

Sometimes I wonder if 3D Sonic would benefit from a run button, or something, so you could have a slower mode for platforming and a faster mode for running.

Blueblur1

Sega1991 said:
Too bad that level exposes the flaws in Sonic's controls in Unleashed regarding those types of environments. Sonic needs a speed cap or something because you get moving way too quickly for that kind of space and it becomes difficult to go where you want.

Unless you're super super super gentle with the analog stick (and even then...).

Sometimes I wonder if 3D Sonic would benefit from a run button, or something, so you could have a slower mode for platforming and a faster mode for running.
That's the one thing that bothered me the most in Unleashed; Sonic moves way too fast. They should have made him slowly accelerate to that run speed instead of making him take off like that. I mean, I see why they made him move that quickly but that speed doesn't lend itself to precise platforming.

Sega1991 said:

I've always thought having a "gear" system would be good. Just press a button to cycle between gears. Gear 1 would be good for slower platforming and exploration, gear 2 for faster stuff, gear 3 for unleashed style speeds, stuff like that.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Willy105 said:

You said it, brother.

wait, YOU said that?! :p

but seriously, I totally get what you're saying. I find the one-way race track level designs to be very limiting, and Unleashed had a ton of that going on. That's why Colors looks much more appealing to me. They've toned down the linearity, at least in the 2D sections.

Blueblur1 said:
That's the one thing that bothered me the most in Unleashed; Sonic moves way too fast. They should have made him slowly accelerate to that run speed instead of making him take off like that. I mean, I see why they made him move that quickly but that speed doesn't lend itself to precise platforming.
It's one of my main main beefs with the game as well. Sonic controls like a wet bar of soap, no sense of weight or friction at all. No matter how much I wanted to like the daytime stages, the lack of tight controls was a major turn off.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This Shamar Act 3 level was horrible. Why should Sonic try to play like Mario? Let him be fast, exploring in Sonic games always went horribly wrong. I don't want Sega to ever try this again.

I have fallen in love with the music in this game, from what we have heard so far it's great.

It's great to see that sega have taken the good parts from Unleashed, worked on it to improve it in areas which are more then just time attack stage runs while at the same time trying some new stuff which actually seems to work. For a 3D sonic game it looks so good.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Graphics look fantastic, music sounds awesome (the gabber beat when you get the drill attack is hilarious), but the gameplay... just looks like typical Sonic Adventure style, lots of holding up and having the game play itself for you, and of course those homing attacks. The 2D sections looked kinda cool, and I didn't notice too much in the way of annoying bottomless pits... but still the level design doesn't seem as interesting as the Genny games.

faridmon

Azure Phoenix said:
It's a 3 disc soundtrack actually. The vast majority of Japanese soundtrack releases are 2-3 discs so I think it's fair to assume it contains everything used in the game.
FF XII and Xenogears was 4 disc and it was justified.

I really hope it has many tracks to justify that price. I really want it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Iknos' comments seem like the kind of misguided input that lead to the creation of Sonic 4.

Sega listened to those fans, and assumed that they wanted nothing but an exact recreation of the Genesis games in HD.

But Sonic Colors, from everything seen so far, seems like the only modern Sonic game to start with the Genesis games and evolve Sonic without ruining certain key parts of how Sonic looks, feels, moves, or flows. The gameplay elements the wisps bring in seem to actually comprehend that classic Sonic /was/ full of breaks in the tubes and loops where you stopped and explored very carefully. The wisp system seems to be /upgrading/ the exploration element of Sonic, not merely bring it back, and that is the kind of series evolution that we've needed to see but never gotten. Or gotten in the wrong way, such as the misguided scavenger hunt stages in Sonic Adventure 2.

djtiesto said:
Graphics look fantastic, music sounds awesome (the gabber beat when you get the drill attack is hilarious), but the gameplay... just looks like typical Sonic Adventure style, lots of holding up and having the game play itself for you, and of course those homing attacks. The 2D sections looked kinda cool, and I didn't notice too much in the way of annoying bottomless pits... but still the level design doesn't seem as interesting as the Genny games.

The reason it looks 'good' is because it is just the Sonic sequences. If you didn't like the Sonic sequences in Unleashed, I can see how it doesn't seem good; I thought they were fun and it was everything else in Unleashed that was bad. Basically, it's receiving praise for not screwing up and adding anything inherently bad to the game. If you didn't enjoy the 'good' parts of Unleashed, then yeah, I don't think Colors will change much. iirc one review even said the Sonic sections of Unleashed were better (was it Nintendo Power?)

But like I said, I enjoyed the Sonic sections in Unleashed (360 version) so I'm eager to see how Colors turns out.

Kaijima said:
Iknos' comments seem like the kind of misguided input that lead to the creation of Sonic 4.

Sega listened to those fans, and assumed that they wanted nothing but an exact recreation of the Genesis games in HD.

But Sonic Colors, from everything seen so far, seems like the only modern Sonic game to start with the Genesis games and evolve Sonic without ruining certain key parts of how Sonic looks, feels, moves, or flows. The gameplay elements the wisps bring in seem to actually comprehend that classic Sonic /was/ full of breaks in the tubes and loops where you stopped and explored very carefully. The wisp system seems to be /upgrading/ the exploration element of Sonic, not merely bring it back, and that is the kind of series evolution that we've needed to see but never gotten. Or gotten in the wrong way, such as the misguided scavenger hunt stages in Sonic Adventure 2.
Thing is Sonic 4 was only 50% like that, and 50% bullshit crap.

Kai Dracon

djtiesto said:

Based on what we've heard so far, the 3D segments are the minority of the gameplay and represent the equivalent of the mostly automated tunnels, bridges, loops, and rail complexes in the 2D Sonic games that bridge the major sections of a level.

Time-wise, most gameplay takes place in the 2D sections.

Based on what's seen, Colors isn't an exact translation of the Genesis games nor does it attempt to be. But it's the most fun looking 3D/2.5D take on Sonic by far.

Also, bear in mind that much of what people have hated about every modern Sonic game is how poorly designed they are. How glitchy, how bad the physics and movement of the characters feel, how bad the cameras are, and how bad the shitty friends and story are.

Colors looks good because no matter what /style/ of game it is, it looks to have fixed all these issues. It's programmed well, has no visual glitches, seems to feel good and control well, has interesting play mechanics in the 2D sections which aren't even mandatory for making a basic run of a level, has minimal story, but what story is there is actually amusing (Eggman PA speaker gags). And even has a great soundtrack.

In other words, entirely apart from "how Sonic is it", /it doesn't look like a terrible and embarrassing excuse for a video game/. That has been the primary issue with everything Sonic Team has touched. The reason why people are ragging on Sonic 4, despite it being just - in concept - like the Genesis games so many fans want to play more of, is because it's cheap and awful and poor flash game quality in its execution.

Kai Dracon

Diablohead said:
Thing is Sonic 4 was only 50% like that, and 50% bullshit crap.

Yeah, and that's why Sega couldn't even do /that/ right. But they went into it with the entirely wrong idea, so it was kind of doomed from the start.

shaowebb

Sunday November 7th 2010 (12:12 pm EST)

Remember this date, because it marks a historic moment.

I am notorious for the amount of anger I feel towards the Sonic franchise and SEGA since it hit 3d. I've felt nothing, but growing disappointment for every re-iteration of Sonic that has been made, and I constantly rage in threads about Sega in general.

This...looks good.

SOUND

The music is alright, and is obviously trying to appeal to the amount of love the world expressed for Mario Galaxy's soundtrack, but it feels nice. I still think it is inherently off for a Sonic game, and the option to play a chiptune version of the stage tracks during gameplay would likely please me, though. So I'm a cheap fix on this. Im bias. Sue me. Just realize many of us miss the classic tracks to the point that non-digital tracks sound wrong, and get over it. For now, this is okay, and even enjoyable to someone like me so know you did about as good as you could here without giving us two sdtk options to choose from.

I also enjoyed the drill theme greatly.

My only major gripe is Sonic's voice. I still hate it when he talks. I love that he isn't saying anything snarky but I do not like his voice announcing the wisp powers. I would instead have the wisps say it for it in their own cuddly fashion. Sort of an "I'm helping!" from them like a child would yell. Food for thought here.

THE ENEMIES

These are still rather bland, and pointless since the game still has my notorious enemy "the homing attack". However, their are so few enemies that it matters very little, and lots of enemies would likely break this game in half with the way it plays. Perhaps include sections with large, really iconic looking enemies flying along behind the stage in the background that could either be just for show, or occasionally fire hazards toward you that are easy to spot but challenging in large numbers. It's risky if done wrong, but done right this would please me as a fan of the older iconic enemies. And even if they did nothing back there this would please me.

Its really my only gripe, and it's more of an atmospheric thing that seems missing than a gameplay one. Perhaps include some harmless drones that you can't be hurt by that explode when hit that are stylish and call it a day.

THE FLOW

This game seemed to flow very well. It still had it's share of moments where the game played itself, but no more than the original 2d games did. Good job monitoring the use of rails, and launchers Sega. You did it in a way that added fast paced experiences without forcing gamers to sit back and watch for too long of a time period. Highly praiseworthy.

The platforming looked fair to bland during 3d moments with Sonic, and I think this is about as good as it gets from this camera perspective. We've seen for years how poorly this angle lends itself to Sonic jumping, and I think it is best that these moments were NOT USED FOR PLATFORMING. Way to go Sega, ya done good finally getting this.

2d Platfoming while Sonic is running wisp-free looked like it could have used some more paths to take, but given how far back the camera stays it would make this impossible to do in a manner that would feel the same as the old games. Perhaps if you hit an area where the camera pulled into about the distance of the classic games, then fill the screen with multiple paths located either just above or below Sonic that would open out into the wideshot after taking one for a few seconds this would recapture the fast paced platforming moments of old without sacrificing any of the beautiful gameplay I'm seeing here. If you do this Sega, do it without including any pits in these areas...these would destroy the flow of these moments and make the game feel cheap and filled with blind spots.

Wisp oriented platforming looked great though. These moments had some nice Spider-ball Metroid moments, and the drill and laser looked like they would have some incredibly memorable segments for players. FANTASTIC! I thought I would hate Sega for changing gameplay, but this time they did it in a manner that follows the golden rule of platformers..."If you add any new way for the player to traverse their environment, then be certain it in no way invalidates any of the core gameplay used in any of it's well received predecessors. To ignore this will make the core gameplay style pointless at times." The wisps all add moments without removing anything, unlike the homing attack removing the necessity of timing jumps around enemies, and Sonic's jump animation often not having him tuck into attacking ball to protect him from any enemies he might blindly hit. I mention the last because occasionally Sonic jumped without tucking when coming out of ramps too fast and this would get him nailed without giving the player a chance to live. No enemies=not present in this game though so chalk it up to a gripe from previous games that I hope I don't face later in this game.

NOSTALGIA

It's back to a large degree. Sonic being shot almost entirely in 2d while maintaining GOOD transitions between 3d camera angles is incredible in this game. I had my doubts on vid 1, but then it opened up and looked great. I even saw many hidden paths to take thanks to the drill and laser later on and the multitude of acts you could end up in per world based upon where you exited the previous act was wonderful. I always thought this would work great, and showing it off in a puzzlebobble themed map to let the players know when they took a new route that earned them a new zone was great. I can't praise this enough.

Also, allowing players to jump around during the points totaling, and increase their score while occasionally finding one ups was great! I had missed this so much since the old 2d games. It felt wonderful. And unlocking the canisters of wisps at the end of the stage felt so iconically similar to saving the animals in the old titles. It really felt good to do this. Thank you for bringing this moment back Sega. Granted I miss all the warm fuzzy animals, but the wisps become quickly lovable with all the power ups they give you. And unlike shields they do not blur the view of your character on the screen from the wideshot you implement throughout this game. Good design choice here.

CONCLUSION

Sigh...I can't believe I'm saying this. Buy this game. It's great. It may still lack a few things the old games had, but it appears to do a fine job of keeping even a bastard like me happy, and that is an achievement. I'm as shocked as you are. I don't own a copy yet, but I will so long as this game doesn't screw itself over any outside of these levels.

I still think it could improve in the areas I mentioned, but this is by no means another bad Sonic game from Sega. I am willing to accept this as the first Sonic title that I will be willing to acknowledge since the classics as a good game.

TimmiT

shaowebb said:
My only major gripe is Sonic's voice. I still hate it when he talks. I love that he isn't saying anything snarky but I do not like his voice announcing the wisp powers
Sonic doesn't announce the wisp powers, an announcer does.

Lijik

Yoshi said:
This Shamar Act 3 level was horrible. Why should Sonic try to play like Mario? Let him be fast, exploring in Sonic games always went horribly wrong. I don't want Sega to ever try this again.
I disagree with this entirely. Sega1991 is right that the level doesn't play well, but its because the way Sonic handles in Unleashed is geared towards going fast on tracks not because its inherently bad. Exploring wasn't required in the 2d Sonics, but its what keeps me coming back to them. Its also why Sonic CD is my favorite since I enjoyed hunting down the machines in the past.
It tends to go horribly wrong in 3d Sonics because of the loose controls. Traversing three moving platforms over a pit in most 3d Sonics is a total nightmare when in any other game it'd be a cakewalk.

RobbieNick

OMG Aero said:
Have you completed the game somehow or are you just saying this from watching videos of the game?

If you read the entire "review" he only watched the videos and judged it on that.

AniHawk

RobbieNick said:
If you read the entire "review" he only watched the videos and judged it on that.

I agree with him that Sonic announcing his own powers is stupid though. Preorder canceled.

TheOGB

Banned
AniHawk said:
I agree with him that Sonic announcing his own powers is stupid though. Preorder canceled.
288xutg.jpg

AniHawk

joke's on you, i never preordered it at all. HA!

Amazon had a B2G1F late in 2009 right? They'll do it again, right?

djtiesto said:

The majority of the game is 2d sections. The 3d sections seem to have a lot of "hold up, let game take over" but those are supposedly a small fraction of the game. Sonic 1-3&K also had a ton of sections that let the game take over for you. The biggest offender is Chemical Plant Zone (oddly enough that zone seems to be a favorite for at least a handful of gaffers).

Chinner

Banned
i'm looking at the youtubes and this is surreal; its looks like the first good sonic game in forever. and i'm not talking about the 'looks good for a sonic game' bullshit either.

also loving the amount of influence mario galaxy has on this.

The Technomancer

Chinner said:
i'm looking at the youtubes and this is surreal; its looks like the first good sonic game in forever. and i'm not talking about the 'looks good for a sonic game' bullshit either.

also loving the amount of influence mario galaxy has on this.
I feel the same. I know some people hate the homing attack and such, but watching these vids even the fast running parts look like things that I'll enjoy playing. Its like Bit.Trip.Runner (which I absolutely love), its fun because you hit a flow.

Top Bottom