• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

RobbieNick

I like that he's not going at the insane speeds he was on the 360 Unleashed game. It's just the right amount of speed. Like others have said, this is a platform game!

My God! The music. This may be the best Sonic soundtrack ever.

Iknos

Nert said:
It seems fairly simple to watch gameplay videos for yourself and form your own impression. At least for me, the levels that I've seen in Sonic Colors, in addition to its general presentation and structure, seem clearly improved and better than the previous Sonic games.

Have to play it myself to come to any real conclusion but I agree. Though only marginally better than previous titles...

loosus said:
I still want to know what's fun about loops that you just kinda run through without using any brain-processing power.

And going through a line of those rainbow-colored boosters in midair.

There is nothing fun about it. It's stupid and people who like that are...well...

The_Technomancer said:
If the gameplay videos don't appeal to you then that's fine. You won't enjoy this game. But that doesn't make it a bad game.

Not saying its a bad game but our standards seem to be so low as a collective that a Sonic game that isn't bad is automatically "good" and that is a sad state of affairs.

Kaijima said:
Iknos' comments seem like the kind of misguided input that lead to the creation of Sonic 4.

Sega listened to those fans, and assumed that they wanted nothing but an exact recreation of the Genesis games in HD.

They didn't even deliver that. And you are wrong...the input that led to Sonic 4 is the same that led to Colors. "People need homing attacks" "the game needs to play itself" ETC

Colors is in many ways like Sonic 4...and reflects why Sonic has been on a decline since the Genesis games.

Emphasis on speed that is uncontrollable. Focus on rollercoaster portions. Focus on linear levels rather than branching levels. Focus on hack physics and not proper physics.

Keeping an open mind and watching more and more vids. Never followed this game at all because I assumed it was going to be crap just like all the other Sonic Wii titles.

Seems like its the best of the bad Sonic games that abandoned what Sonic was all about. Essentially recreating this new character with this slide ability and homing attacks and this is the best "Neo-Sonic" game out so far.

Big One

Banned
Iknos said:
Emphasis on speed that is uncontrollable. Focus on rollercoaster portions. Focus on linear levels rather than branching levels. Focus on hack physics and not proper physics.
Well thankfully none of that is in Sonic Colors

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Iknos said:
Not saying its a bad game but our standards seem to be so low as a collective that a Sonic game that isn't bad is automatically "good" and that is a sad state of affairs. All I can say is that this isn't a case of me lowering my standards. I skipped right over the adventure-Heroes-Shadow-2006 phase, so I was never hurt repeatedly, brought low to accept anything as good.

They didn't even deliver that. And you are wrong...the input that led to Sonic 4 is the same that led to Colors. "People need homing attacks" "the game needs to play itself" ETC

Colors is in many ways like Sonic 4...and reflects why Sonic has been on a decline since the Genesis games. See, this is where I disagree. Colors looks much better then Sonic 4.

Emphasis on speed that is uncontrollable. Focus on rollercoaster portions. Have we been watching the same vids of Colors? There's a lot of slower-based sections and a lot of fast ones that are controllable because they're sidescrolling. Sweet Mountain Act 2 is a great example.

Focus on linear levels rather than branching levels. Focus on hack physics and not proper physics. The physics...maybe, although they aren't as bad as Sonic 4. But linear levels? Colors looks to have some of the most dynamic and alternative-route level design that the series has ever seen in 3D

Keeping an open mind and watching more and more vids. Never followed this game at all because I assumed it was going to be crap just like all the other Sonic Wii titles. Glad to hear that then. Not trying to pick on you or anything, just articulatly explain why some of us disagree with this pessimism. Believe me, no-one was more cynical about Unleashed or 4 then me.

Seems like its the best of the bad Sonic games that abandoned what Sonic was all about. Essentially recreating this new character with this slide ability and homing attacks and this is the best "Neo-Sonic" game out so far.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Iknos said:

Keeping an open mind and watching more and more vids. Never followed this game at all because I assumed it was going to be crap just like all the other Sonic Wii titles.
Well, you were right in assuming because it's already obvious it's going to be shit! I don't know why you started paying attention because only a delusional fool would give a Sonic game another chance after countless mishaps. Why waste your time with a "best of bad Sonic" when you could be playing decent games? Do you like the Sonic character that much?

Sciz

Iknos said:
Physics are only "good" or "bad" in the context of the game they're in. Sonic 4's physics worked great for the Rush games, as those games were focused around a wildly different set of expectations for how the player would move through a level. It didn't matter much if Sonic could stand on a wall if the ability to do so facilitated being able to run straight up it with ease. Unfortunately they're terrible for Sonic 4, being a game (loosely) designed around a much slower, more methodical pace.

S3&K's physics in turn would be pretty terrible for, say, a Mario game.

And Colors levels branch all over the place in the 2D sections.

Fuu said:
Well, you were right in assuming because it's already obvious it's going to be shit! I don't know why you started paying attention because only a delusional fool would give a Sonic game another chance after countless mishaps. Why waste your time with a "best of bad Sonic" when you could be playing decent games? Do you like the Sonic character that much?
This brand of scathing sarcasm is best left to the GAFfers who have already mastered its use.

Fuu

Sciz said:
This brand of scathing sarcasm is best left to the GAFfers who have already mastered its use.
You're no fun. He is going to play it and find it shitty though, he clearly doesn't like the core gameplay and physics of 3D Sonics and Colors isn't straying as far from it as many want to believe.

Fuu said:
You're no fun. He is going to play it and find it shitty though, he clearly doesn't like the core gameplay and physics of 3D Sonics and Colors isn't straying as far from it as many want to believe.
Yeah, and by his description it seems like he couldn't technically enjoy any Sonic game past Sonic 1.

Sciz

IGN Review is up: 8.5

Arthur Gies said:
Sonic Colors is a dizzying combination of the distantly familiar memories of the first few Sonic titles combined with thoughtful new abilities and mostly well executed level design. There are a few issues that mar an otherwise awesome experience, but those shouldn't stop Sonic fans and Wii owners from grabbing the best Sonic game in 18 years. As a blueprint for the future of SEGA's star, Sonic Colors delivers, and then some.

farnham

Banned
anyone surprised that the wii seems to be getting pretty good games ? if epic mickey isnt a total failure this might actually be a pretty good year for the platform owners.

Sciz

IGN's DS review is also up, also 8.5:

Anthony Gallegos said:
Sonic Colors is undoubtedly the best portable Sonic game I’ve ever played, and may even be my favorite entry in the franchise. If you’ve never been into Sonic, then Colors certainly won’t change your mind, and the difficulty spikes and poor continue system will undoubtedly fluster many, but the ride is worth it. A year ago I was ready to relegate Sonic to the “won’t ever be good again” part of my heart, but, if this is where Sega’s taking the franchise, I’m ready to believe again. Welcome back, Sonic. I’ve missed you.

Fuu

riceandbeans said:
Wait, what? I thought this was out the 16th or 17th?
AUS November 11th, 2010
EU November 12, 2010
NA November 16, 2010
JP November 12, 2010

hatchx

Banned
From the IGN review:

Gameplay
Sonic Colors features tight controls with great level design; all of these things lead to a game that's a joy to play. Except when it REALLY ISN'T due to some puzzling stage design later on.

....that sentence hurts my brain.

The Technomancer

hatchx said:
From the IGN review:

Gameplay
Sonic Colors features tight controls with great level design; all of these things lead to a game that's a joy to play. Except when it REALLY ISN'T due to some puzzling stage design later on.

Hm, their review is up? Going go read now...

EDIT: More great stuff! I'm curious to see for myself exactly what the level design throws at us towards the end...

Tailzo

hatchx said:
From the IGN review:

Gameplay

I don't know if I understand that sentence.

So the game has tight controls, except in one puzzle stage?

farnham said:
anyone surprised that the wii seems to be getting pretty good games ? if epic mickey isnt a total failure this might actually be a pretty good year for the platform owners.

Dude, a generation defining game came out this year for Wii as well as several franchise/series revivals. This is already one of the best years if not the best.

Tailzo

Genesis Knight said:
Can I play a PAL version on my NTSC Wii console? (As in, does/will it have a 60HZ mode?)
I don't think so. I can't play NTSC games on my PAL wii. ANd I thought the whole 60hz problem was over as soon as the Dreamcast launced. I havem't had that problem the ps1 era.

Tailzo said:
I don't know if I understand that sentence.

So the game has tight controls, except in one puzzle stage?

No basically they claim that the final levels have level design that will kill you a million times. The reviewer got frustrated. Not sure if he just sucks or if they do go all random pits of death and trail and error on the player.

Tailzo

MiamiWesker said:
No basically they claim that the final levels have level design that will kill you a million times. The reviewer got frustrated. Not sure if he just sucks or if they do go all random pits of death and trail and error on the player.
Oh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. English isn't my first language.

Holy shit, this game sounds so good. The screens and the videos look so great. I can't believe I'm actually excited for a Sonic game. Thank you, Based God.

hatchx said:
From the IGN review:

Gameplay

I no know English.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Big One said:
Did that IGN video review just minus points off for the game being too hard? :lol
He complained of "difficulty spikes", not necessarily just the difficulty. In other words, the game is fairly easy and then gets super hard all of the sudden which I feel is a valid complaint.

The Technomancer

cosmicblizzard said:
Dude, a generation defining game came out this year for Wii as well as several franchise/series revivals. This is already one of the best years if not the best.
Its gotta be the best. What other Wii year had stuff along the lines of Super Mario Galaxy 2, Monster Hunter Tri, Sin and Punishment 2, Kirby's Epic Yarn, GoldenEye007, DKC Returns, Sonic Colors and hopefully Epic Mickey?

The Technomancer

Every video I see the thing that keeps sticking out at me is how absolutely fantastic the level design in Planet Wisp looks. That Zone more then any other just looks incredible.

Sciz

Pietepiet said:
Why do reviewers keep claiming this? Have they really not played any of the GBA or DS games? God...
They don't really count as far as perception goes in the grand scheme of things. It started as a console franchise and will always be primarily judged and remembered on the basis of its console entries.

Advance 2 and 3 aren't especially good arguments in favor of "not mediocre" either.

edit: IGN's DS video review shows off a lot of new material, including the void wisp.

RobbieNick

MiamiWesker said:
From the DS review

He clearly never played a Rush game. In fact he never mentions those games once.

I'm not sure he's played a Genesis game myself. As this game looks as much like that as it does a Mario game. Also, the Wii review says DIMPS was involved when they were not.

LOL Leave it to IGN to be incompetent even when they write a positive Sonic game review.

Fuu

The_Technomancer said:
Heh, looks like I got a title change. Thanks to whichever mod, might generate some more interest :lol
I can't think of a single mod who cares enough about Sonic titles, now I'm curious. :lol

Sadist

Fuu said:
I can't think of a single mod who cares enough about Sonic titles, now I'm curious. :lol
I heard certain mods were pestered about the game and thead by the ghost of Segata.

True story.

RobbieNick

Bring Segata and his wonderful sense of sarcasm back right now!! "SNIFF!" He's the only thing that made the Sonic 4 thread tolerable.

Chinner

Banned
technomancer are you going to take this i mean the mods mocking your thread. i'm not sure on further reflection if i'll buy this on release but it's tempting.

Top Bottom