• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors |OT| of AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING! CUBE! And Very High Reviews

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Willy105 said:
Well, it seemed to go fine with this game.

Sega sees it's audience in a very narrow and odd view. Sonic 4 is for the fans, Sonic Colors for the kids. Take advantage of this view.

They just need to make good games. Then it will appeal to both fans and kids. That's the position that Sonic Colors has found itself in.

The_Technomancer said:
As far as I can tell:
rso = Tropical Resort
fct = Sweet Mountain
shp = Starlight Carnival
pla = Planet Wisp
qua = Aquatic Park
ast = Asteroid Coaster
elv = Unknown. Final stage? Robotnik's ship?
The last stage is called

Intergalactic Elevator
]

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
ZealousD said:
They just need to make good games. Then it will appeal to both fans and kids. That's the position that Sonic Colors has found itself in.
We didn't hate the older 3D games because they didn't slavishly adhere to the Genesis days SEGA. We hated them because they sucked.

The Technomancer

Aaron Strife said:
The last stage is called

Intergalactic Elevator
]
Do we know what that lock on the center spire pointing down is, since the very middle is Tropical Resort? Currently the only two things I don't know with locks are Eggman's Ship and that spire.

Aaron Strife said:
The last stage is called

Intergalactic Elevator
]

Huh, interesting.

I'm only spoiling this and the eventual unveiling of what we can unlock after we get the emeralds. I would kill to know if by some miracle that Super Sonic is finally playable in regular stages.

The_Technomancer said:
Do we know what that lock on the center spire pointing down is, since the very middle is Tropical Resort? Currently the only two things I don't know with locks are Eggman's Ship and that spire.

Oh! Dreadknux already answered those.

Ship: A sort of marathon mode IIRC.

Satellite: Options.

:)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The_Technomancer said:
We didn't hate the older 3D games because they didn't slavishly adhere to the Genesis days SEGA. We hated them because they sucked.

That's the truth. But to be fair, many of the fans recognize that they didn't adhere to the Genesis formula and claim that's the reason they sucked. On the surface, that's the difference, and that explains to some people why they sucked. But that's not why they sucked. They sucked because they sucked. Unpolished and full of bloat.

Juicy Bob said:
I've never tried a Sonic game with the Wii-mote before. How well does it work with these 2D/3D style platformers?

Serviceable, but not the best. I'm definitely gonna use my CC for this one. (It does have CC support, doesn't it?)

AniHawk

Juicy Bob said:
I've never tried a Sonic game with the Wii-mote before. How well does it work with these 2D/3D style platformers?

Works very well with Super Mario Galaxy, basically a normal controller split into two pieces. Button input on the right side (for the most part), and movement on the left side.

If you mean Wii remote only, then the only 3D platformer that does that, as far as I know, is Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Snaku

Banned
Willy105 said:
Well, it seemed to go fine with this game.

Sega sees it's audience in a very narrow and odd view. Sonic 4 is for the fans, Sonic Colors for the kids. Take advantage of this view.

I thought Sonic 4 was for iPhone users, and then re-branded for the fans?

Hero of Legend said:
Huh, interesting.

I'm only spoiling this and the eventual unveiling of what we can unlock after we get the emeralds. I would kill to know if by some miracle that Super Sonic is finally playable in regular stages.
I've seen some tracks called Super Sonic. I haven't downloaded the soundtrack, just listening to pieces on youtube.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The_Technomancer said:
Haha yeah, I couldn't care less if these games aren't like the classics because I like the "speed-style" 3D Sonic gameplay, homing attacks and all, retrying stages for time attack purposes, etc. I just want the games to be good and focus on what really matters while improving on the formula, and Colors seems to be doing that greatly.

The Technomancer

ZealousD said:
Serviceable, but not the best. I'm definitely gonna use my CC for this one. (It does have CC support, doesn't it?)
Gamecube is confirmed, so I'm assuming that that means Classic as well, just like Unleashed.

ZealousD said:

I believe every kind of controller is usable, including the Wiimote NES style, crazy I know. :p

Aaron Strife said:
I've seen some tracks called Super Sonic. I haven't downloaded the soundtrack, just listening to pieces on youtube.

If we have this and the final boss theme, then... O_O!!!

Edit: Whoops, d/p. X(

Suzuki Yu

Sciz said:
Iizuka came back when his studio got axed for NiGHTS 2 being a tremendous flop. He's been mostly stuck on Mario & Sonic since.
i know i know.

but he is now the main producer in SONIC TEAM, he was with SONIC4 he is with this game and he will be for the next project, since he's already talked about the 20th anniversary project. maybe because he is old enough to lead the team??
this doesn't mean much though, Yuji Naka was the producer in SONIC TEAM in the past few years without any real involvements in games development .

It's separate from the final boss theme.

You're not Supersonic for the final boss. Instead, Eggman pilots a machine using the Wisps called the Nega-Wisp and attacks with exaggerated versions of the Wisp powers (laser, rocket, etc.) Every time you hit him one of the Wisps comes back to your side and at the end they all combine with Sonic to deliver the final blow.

I thought NiGHTS 2 did alright. It's no Sonic game and doesn't have mainstream appeal for the most part (ala Samba, being a music game). I heard it did like around 166k in the US and 70k in Japan or something. Both numbers are like a year old though.

Aaron Strife said:

You're not Supersonic for the final boss. Instead, Eggman pilots a machine using the Wisps called the Nega-Wisp and attacks with exaggerated versions of the Wisp powers (laser, rocket, etc.) Every time you hit him one of the Wisps comes back to your side and at the end they all combine with Sonic to deliver the final blow.

I'm a bad person for spoiling that, but it raises hope! O_O

TheOGB

Banned
Aaron Strife said:

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I blame no one but myself

EDIT: New stream by Cyberman

ReiGun

Aaron Strife said:

Read the spoiler. I regret nothing.

Can't wait to get this in my hands.

$200

Banned
Aaron Strife said:

Sounds like Okami :eek:

Nert

Seeing comparisons drawn between this game and the likes of Super Mario Galaxy and Okami is incredibly uplifting for me.

WillyFive

The multiplayer levels are like Bit.Trip in art style. Very nice.

This game is very inspired. Taking cues from the greats of the Wii library, instead of just random nonsense like King Arthur and Warewolves.

Teknoman

NTom64 said:
Full OST rip (Click to download, might take a bit)

Thanks to Polygon Jim from Retro. Dunno if he ripped it, but he's definitely the first to post the link.

2ni5jmh.gif

Juicy Bob said:
The answer to that is
yes - if the soundtrack listing is to go by

Cool, i'll check it out.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
*listens to music*

Oh god... I need this game yesterday! Why do I not have this game yet??

The Technomancer

Aquatic Park versions 1 and 2 are easily tied with Melty Molten Galaxy, Puzzle Plank Galaxy and 2-8 from Bit.Trip.Runner for my absolute favorite new tracks this year.

Zen

Banned
I just got to watch some of the stream (2 levels of the Sonic Simulator + a level).

Real talk: is anyone here legitimately concerned that Sonic Anniversary might not be as good as this game? :lol

TheOGB

Banned
I almost feel bad for liking the chiptune version of Aquatic Park's music more now. Almost.

But man I am really loving *coughcoughFINAL LEVELcough*
Intergalactic Elevator
's music.
Except Act 3. SO. FUCKING. CREEPY.

AniHawk

Zen said:
I just got to watch some of the stream (2 levels of the Sonic Simulator + a level).

Real talk: is anyone here legitimately concerned that Sonic Anniversary might not be as good as this game? :lol

I think it already has a few strikes against it:

Doing all remakes or reimaginings of favorite levels does two things against it from the start: it promises the game will be comprised of mostly old content, and it runs the risk of ruining fan-favorite acts.

Azure J

You know, Planet Wisp trifecta of tracks is seriously one of the main reason I got hyped at Colors' music to begin with, but after a couple dozen replays, I think Sweet Mountain Act 2 might be a contender for the throne that Planet Wisp Act 2 reigns upon. The transition from the 40s-50s esque jazz band horns section to that conga line to the actual guitar is handled so fucking masterfully. Jeez, and I though soundtrack wise nothing could personally top Super Mario Galaxy 2... :lol

Teknoman

Man now this is Sonic music. Unleashed and 06 were nice, but this sounds much closer to old school Sonic than anything i've heard since...well the Saturn days.

Azure J

Zen said:

Real talk: is anyone here legitimately concerned that Sonic Anniversary might not be as good as this game?

Yeah seriously. I remember the first time the rumor circulated that the anniversary game would be level re-imaginings, I legitimately thought "why don't they go further and fresher with the Colors concept?" It's like Colors just swooped in and stole the life out of a party that might have been OK to good and fueled its hype with it for me. :lol

Also, agreed with AniHawk, especially on reception to all the old games and their level designs.

Teknoman said:
Man now this is Sonic music. Unleashed and 06 were nice, but this sounds much closer to old school Sonic than anything i've heard since...well the Saturn days.

You know, it's funny. The last time I honestly thought this way, I was talking about Naganuma's Rush OST, which while not a direct evolution of the Genesis stuff, had enough of the funk and pop like elements to be considered a cool route for the series' music. After listening to Colors' OST though, I just can't believe that this is really happening. I just wonder where this particular sound team has been hiding in Sega/Sonic Team, they managed to even best the better parts of Unleashed's OST.

Side note, does anyone else get a serious Let's Tap vibe from Planet Wisp Act 3, Sweet Mountain Act 2 & all of Starlight Carnival Zone? Considering how much I loved the Let's Tap soundtrack, finding out that there might be hints of it in this OST makes my near hyperbolic love for it all the more understandable! :lol

Triple Edit: I love livestreams sometimes. Especially when people say things like this:

klaymator14: How can ANYONE like this more than the Adventure series?

I lol'd. :lol

Is there like a full list of the soundtrack so I can rename all the files correctly and possibly in order?

Game sounds awesome, maybe day 1 purchase for me? :D

I had my doubts about this game, but that live stream sold me. So much platforming, the homing attack is used in smart ways, dying only because it was your fault, multiple paths, slowing sonic down is a necessity in some cases, fun looking powerups, amazing art direction, awesome music, co op levels- I could gush on and on, it is totally good great awesome outstanding amazing.

Teknoman

MidnightScott said:
Is there like a full list of the soundtrack so I can rename all the files correctly and possibly in order?

Game sounds awesome, maybe day 1 purchase for me? :D

Personally I just took the zone list posted earlier, named them in succession and went from there. No special subtitles, just stuff like "Tropical Resort zone Act 1".

The soundtrack is really good but you guys got me really excited. Its still a lot more like modern Sonic music than Genesis Sonic music. In the end the Genesis music IMO is much better.

Feep

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
The soundtrack is really good but you guys got me really excited. Its still a lot more like modern Sonic music than Genesis Sonic music. In the end the Genesis music IMO is much better.
Well Michael Jackson fucking apologizes for DYING.

Top Bottom